BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 21, 2014 12:00 am  #1

Feeding Moriarty Information

In this episode, when Sherlock explains to Anderson his supposedly true story of how he survived the Fall and faked his death, he said that not only was Mycroft in on it, but they'd both been planning essentially this from the beginning, attempting to destroy Moriarty. Sherlock was apparently in the know about Mycroft feeding information to Moriarty while he was in custody. I don't believe him.

here's why. This is the clip where John confronts Mycroft about who gave Moriarty the scoop on Sherlock. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CamZyd2iXs&feature=player_detailpage

When John's leaving, Mycroft has an expression some what akin to remorse, and tells John he's sorry, asking for the message to be passed along. For Mycroft, this is strange, which would almost lead me to believe he's acting. But what's the point? John didn't expect Mycroft to be sorry, he wasn't looking to hear that, and he wouldn't have believed that Sherlock knew about the information leak unless Sherlock told him, so there's no need for Mycroft to pretend anything. Therefore, I believe it's real remorse. As I've written this up and thought about it, however, I've come up with two counter-arguements.

For one: Mycroft's remorse is real, but not for the reason he suggests. He is sorry for what his brother is going to go through, in part because of him, though he actually had his brother's consent. It's a lesser evil that he's committing, but still bad enough that a person might naturally feel remorse. However, Mycroft is not a normal person, and from the things he says and does, I'm not convinced he cares so much and so openly about his brother to apologize for causing what would seem, compared to utter betrayal and possible death, like a mere disomfort.

The other arguement: Mycroft intends to pass a message in code, hidden in that apology. Okay, but I highly doubt John told Sherlock what his brother had said, and Mycroft would've known John well enough to make the same deduction. Also, he could just phone him. On his phone. (Sorry.)

So I think what Sherlock told Anderson about having Mycroft feed Moriarty information is probably bull. Thoughts?

PS: The Sign of Three and His Last Vow don't exist until everyone on this thread has seen them. No spoilers, please.

January 21, 2014 12:57 am  #2

Re: Feeding Moriarty Information

I just posted about this on another thread: the whole thing of, "Moriarty's plan was always all part of my plan," makes Sherlock seem almost as super-human as he did when he suddenly turned up in Pakistan to save Irene.

I would prefer to believe he trapped Moriarty to stop other bad things Moriarty was doing, not just to save his own reputation.

But on the other hand, it seems like Mycroft is responsible for a lot of the "brilliance" that is Sherlock's operations. Sherlock is not the main genius anymore, if that makes any sense.

January 21, 2014 1:01 am  #3

Yes, but that doesn't explain my problem. I don't believe Mycroft or Sherlock knew Moriarty's game that far off before the trial, and I can't see any evidence to suggest that, and I can see evidence that might contradict that. And if Mofftiss are gonna say it's all behind the scenes...Bull. I feel as though it would be an insult to our intelligence to expect us to believe a bunch of crap goes on offscreen without evidence.

January 21, 2014 1:47 am  #4

I think Mycroft's "I'm sorry" is actually directed at John, for what John is about to go through. His "tell him, would you" is just a mask for that. That's my headcanon anyway.

But it's been a theory in the fandom that Mycroft and Sherlock were colluding in this since TRF aired, so most of these things have been analysed to death, and that's one of them. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

Board footera