BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 16, 2014 2:04 pm  #121

Re: Four things I would prefer NOT to see in series 4

So far the writers have never disappointed me. Therefore I choose to go on trusting them. Of course I have my preferences and dislikes but as you said, silberblaze, it truly may spoil the fun if you go on enumerating all the things you do not want to see. The writers are writing for us but not per our order.

So actually I have only one wish for series 4: 
Please, there's just one more thing. One more thing, Moftiss, for me. Don't be …. implausible. Do not force me to believe things about a character that are at odds with what I see. Would you do that for me? Just stop, just stop this. Thank you. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

September 18, 2014 8:57 am  #122

Second, third and fourth this, Susi.

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

September 18, 2014 4:48 pm  #123

Fifth this.   

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

September 18, 2014 5:33 pm  #124

Mycroft being bewitched, bothered and bewildered.  It's not going to happen and I don't want to see it happen.  (Except that I really do.  I would love to see somebody melting the iceman.  I think it shouldn't happen, but will applaud if it does). 

(I know that's only one, but the others I think of have already been said.   I'll try to think of three more)

September 18, 2014 5:37 pm  #125

@silverblaze: I support your opinion about ever-complaining fans, but if making and reading lists about hopes for S4 decreases your enjoyment, maybe just not do it and not read threads specifically dedicated to expressing those hopes? There are lots of others.. As for me I enjoy critical opinions about aspects of the show and learn about people's preferences as well as expressing my own, I find it interesting. For me it increases enjoyment instead of spoiling it. So by any means, as long as it's well thought through and politely expressed, criticize, theorize and speculate away! There's no such thing as a fandom police..

@LaJolie: But.. But sometimes getting carried away is half the fun! 

@Susi: Nicely put, I absolutely agree!

Last edited by Zatoichi (September 18, 2014 6:01 pm)

September 18, 2014 6:38 pm  #126

Very, very respectfully: 
I understand what folks are saying-- that having a list like this is pointless, because it decreases.. well, blind belief (my phrase for it) that Mofftiss will do well, and we'll like it anyway, so why bother to discuss it? 

It just seems to me that, if we are being light-hearted about speculating (and yes, sometimes passionate) and then you have people who feel that speculation = wanking, disrespect, not enjoying,  without seeing that analyzing  the show can be a type of enjoyment of the show--

If that's taken as a not-good thing,  well, what's the purpose of the board? It's fun and easy to gush about the show, but it's also fun to take it all apart and analyze; speculate, critique, etc, . 

I'm not sure how this issue can be solved, because different people are coming from different perspectives when it comes to how they enjoy the show. 

September 18, 2014 6:40 pm  #127

SusiGo wrote:

Please, there's just one more thing. One more thing, Moftiss, for me. Don't be …. implausible. Do not force me to believe things about a character that are at odds with what I see. Would you do that for me? Just stop, just stop this. Thank you. 

Hear, hear!!!!!
(((Applause!!!!!!)))

September 19, 2014 8:01 am  #128

I would prefer not to see:
- Moriarty - once dead, please stay dead  (not a Dallas fan here)
- no soap-opera with babies, nappies and so on
- not so many flashback and jumps in time back and forth, i feel too manipulated and i have no time to think myself 
- no "switch off bomb" and deus-ex-machina -  i want to see brilliant deductions

Last edited by A lovely light (September 19, 2014 8:07 am)

September 19, 2014 8:54 am  #129

RavenMorganLeigh wrote:

Very, very respectfully: 
I understand what folks are saying-- that having a list like this is pointless, because it decreases.. well, blind belief (my phrase for it) that Mofftiss will do well, and we'll like it anyway, so why bother to discuss it? 

It just seems to me that, if we are being light-hearted about speculating (and yes, sometimes passionate) and then you have people who feel that speculation = wanking, disrespect, not enjoying,  without seeing that analyzing  the show can be a type of enjoyment of the show--

If that's taken as a not-good thing,  well, what's the purpose of the board? It's fun and easy to gush about the show, but it's also fun to take it all apart and analyze; speculate, critique, etc, . 

I'm not sure how this issue can be solved, because different people are coming from different perspectives when it comes to how they enjoy the show. 

I do agree. A lot of threads on this board would be pointless and redundant if we agreed not to speculate about anything and not to analyze. Where would be the fun in that?
Of course there always are fans, with every tv show, that go berserk if their ideas and hopes don't come true, but from my experience I would say that on this board this doesn't happen. And when I say for example that I don't want to see any domestic bliss with John, Mary and the baby, then that doesn't mean that I don't believe that Mofftiss could pull something like this off anyway. They might find a way to do the things I initially didn't want to see - and surprise, surprise, I'd discover that I like that. Or I at least can appreciate the 'craftsmanship' behind it.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

September 19, 2014 8:57 am  #130

I agree. There are some things I would prefer to see and other not so much but as you said, I trust the writers. So my only wish is the the little "prayer" above because it is the only thing that really still does not sit well with me. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

October 5, 2014 8:21 am  #131

SusiGo wrote:

So far the writers have never disappointed me. Therefore I choose to go on trusting them. Of course I have my preferences and dislikes but as you said, silberblaze, it truly may spoil the fun if you go on enumerating all the things you do not want to see. The writers are writing for us but not per our order.

What do you mean by "plausible"? Sherlock is not a realistic serie.

October 5, 2014 9:56 am  #132

Well, of course this is a work of fiction but it has to be believable within its own framework. There has to be an inner logic. 
Take Mary for example: We (the viewers) are supposed to like Sherlock. Sherlock is the hero. Someone nearly kills him. This should make the character a villain, Sherlock's antagonist like Magnussen or Moriarty. But then we are suddenly supposed to believe that Mary tried to save him by first shooting him and then calling an ambulance. This is not believable within the Sherlock universe.
And this is the point where I hope for a clarification in series 4 because at this point I feel being forced into believing something that is against everything I have seen so far. 

October 5, 2014 10:16 am  #133

I remain a litttle uncertain of what you are meaning.
Are you asking for black and white storylines and cardboard cut out, stereotype characters?
Is the problem there only being 90 mins in an episode and only 3 episodes aired?
Or is the problem ours for focusing on the wrong things?
OR, did the writers try to make Mary too different and exciting?

Last edited by besleybean (October 5, 2014 10:17 am)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

October 5, 2014 10:37 am  #134

I really wonder why you are asking this weeks after my first post to which my answer referred, but here we go. 

I am not asking for black and white storylines. I can read subtext and I can interpret characters and situations. This is not the problem. Far from it. 

But it is frankly ridiculous to have Mary save Sherlock by shooting him first and then (maybe, just maybe) calling an ambulance and then threatening him twice all over again. And if you look around here and in the fandom you will see that I am not alone in this. 
I am absolutely fine with things as they are if we get some development that explains Sherlock's behaviour in any other way than what we got so far. Because making the fans buy this is not worthy of the show and I am sure that they will not go there. 

They built a universe and within this universe there are certain rules. And one of those is that whatever you make your characters do, it has to be believable within this universe. And it has always worked until the Mary case. People accepted Sherlock's fall outrageous as it may have been to John because it was believable and in character. But for Sherlock to equate himself with Mary and thereby hurting and blaming John IMO is not in character for Sherlock, except he has a secret agenda. 

And as for Mary being different and exciting - if she is a different and exiciting villain, fine. But please do not give me a different and exciting doctor's wife and a happily ever after. But we will not get this from what Martin recently said. 

Last edited by SusiGo (October 5, 2014 10:37 am)

October 5, 2014 10:40 am  #135

There seem to be many people here who have a problem with that particular storyline. Not everyone suspends their disbelief in the same way. Personally I don't find it more unrealistic than the Golem and Moriarties courtroom stunt or Mycroft's 'minor position'. 

October 5, 2014 10:45 am  #136

Me too.
I am happy with Mary in the way she is presented just now...
But open to what happens in future.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

October 5, 2014 10:52 am  #137

I think you cannot really compare a very minor character like the Golem with this. And the minor position is just irony. But this here is an important part of the plot, it affects the core of the show, the relationship between Sherlock and John. This is not quite the same. But we have to agree to disagree, I suppose. 

October 5, 2014 10:55 am  #138

For me things have to make sense in terms of the inner logic of the whole show. And when it comes to that, I can't believe for the life of me that Sherlock really believes himself what he's saying about Mary shooting him being surgery. If he really is serious about this, it would go against the inner logic of the character of Sherlock as Mofftiss have presented him to us before HLV.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

October 5, 2014 10:58 am  #139

Some of us may be surprised in S4 then.

October 5, 2014 11:15 am  #140

besleybean wrote:

Some of us may be surprised in S4 then.

Everyone but you, besley, so it seems. Do you happen to know more than the rest of us?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

Board footera