BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 28, 2014 10:30 am  #21

Re: Four things I would prefer NOT to see in series 4

The whole point is that each of these series have three episodes. Whilst, to a certain extent, the episodes work on their own they also link directly to the others. There is a whole story arc going on here. One cannot judge the whole series and indeed all three series together without allowing for the interplay between the episodes.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

January 29, 2014 7:10 pm  #22

What I would prefer not to have :
- No baby on screen, with all the family going soft in the head around the cradle
- No girlfriend for Sherlock, it is not credible compared to the canon
- No come back of Irene Adler - I would see it as a repeat of what has been done so brilliantly in the past
- Less Mary on screen

'The world is full of obvious things which nobody by any chance ever observes'

February 2, 2014 8:25 am  #23

I must admit that I also preferred seasons 1 and  2 and I hope that in season 4 the character development is more of a background thing and that we see a bit more crime solving.
Things I wouldn't like:
Too much angst - looking back at season 3 it was actually quite tragic at times so if, for instance, Mary has to go then I hope it's not too tragic in the way it's done.
Moriarty's return - too many fake deaths strip a show of it's credibility.
No more friends slapping, punching or headbutting each other.
Sherlock making so many mistakes - would like him to manage to allow some emotion in without  his brain failing him.
Mycroft to be found to have been deliberately putting Sherlock in harm's way - I'd like to believe he genuinely cares.

What I'd like:
Crimes to solve
More good interaction between the Holmes' brothers.
More Lestrade.
Less "nods to fandom" - honestly no offence intended to anyone who enjoys this but I really dislike that sort of thing.

"And in the end,
The Love you take
Is equal to the Love you make"
                                             The Beatles

February 6, 2014 12:05 am  #24

* No girlfriends for Sherlock. However, Irene messing with Sherlock is totally okay! ;D
* Less Mary. I love the fact that she's Martin's real life love, but come on, this is Sherlock not Marylock.
* No babies. No, just no.
* No sex scenes of any kind, that would be weird since that's not been a part of the show before.
* Mycroft, don't lift your shirt up ever again. ktnxbye.

March 25, 2014 1:12 pm  #25

1. NO MORE FRIGGING MIND PALACES!!!! The great thought patterns/observations demonstrated (in both S1 & S2) while he was observing the lady in pink was way better, practical and logical.

2. No more Mary or Baby. They take up too much precious screen time (that fans wait forever to see) and no one cares about them. Mary was just good enough for Sign of Four in the canon and only mentioned by name afterwards. Let the same be applied here. Besides John had other wives later, so he obviously moved on from Mary. So should fans.

3. No wasting time on red herrings like "Other Brother". Mentioning him or maybe as much as a quick flashback would be good enough. But don't make a Mary out of him nor take up too much screen time. This is not frigging Elementary, so stick to the canon!

4. No Season 3 template! Enough said there. Season 3 was a failure and disappointment to me. HLV and CAM definitely was NOT worth the hype either. Get back to what made the show really successful. Shake off the dust from the Season 1 & 2 templates and bring back the real Sherlock, cases and villians.

I will NEVER fire a gun IN my mouth when I'm planning on Stayin Alive! 

The clue that everyone missed?

April 21, 2014 7:07 pm  #26

Things I don't want to see:
Mrs. Hudson becoming a baby sitter for baby Watson.
Watson's shrink
Molly being a damsel in distress or getting killed off
Redbeard

April 21, 2014 7:09 pm  #27

Except for the shrink (which I wouldn't mind), I all agree, AT 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

April 21, 2014 7:32 pm  #28

Mixed reviews about the shrink. I like the idea but I really don't like Ella for some reason that I can't quite pin point.
I don't want to much domestic bliss. Particlarly involving small babies. At the same time I really don't want another tragedy. I would like Mary and the baby to live.

April 21, 2014 8:26 pm  #29

1. Mary being killed off in a way that is written badly or quickly thrown at us just to get her out of the way of Sherlock and John like make her an evil villian. Ugh...writers if you do that... ugh
2. Overadundance of humor and fanservive  (I'm sorry, but Series 3 had humor in places where it wasn't needed, especially certain emotional moments that needed to be taken seriously, not be treated like a joke! Also, we don't need more fanservice. Please. Please stop. )
3. Moriarty (Please don't ruin the best sendoff of a character by bringing him back)
4. Molly pining for Sherlock (All right! Whoever thought it was funny to have Molly have a boyfriend that looked like Sherlock. You stop it. Not funny. Totally ruined the whole point of Molly's development in Series 2. )

Last edited by LoveIsAViciousMotivator (April 21, 2014 8:29 pm)

April 21, 2014 8:57 pm  #30

LoveIsAViciousMotivator wrote:

1. Mary being killed off in a way that is written badly or quickly thrown at us just to get her out of the way of Sherlock and John like make her an evil villian. Ugh...writers if you do that... ugh
2. Overadundance of humor and fanservive  (I'm sorry, but Series 3 had humor in places where it wasn't needed, especially certain emotional moments that needed to be taken seriously, not be treated like a joke! Also, we don't need more fanservice. Please. Please stop. )
3. Moriarty (Please don't ruin the best sendoff of a character by bringing him back)
4. Molly pining for Sherlock (All right! Whoever thought it was funny to have Molly have a boyfriend that looked like Sherlock. You stop it. Not funny. Totally ruined the whole point of Molly's development in Series 2. )

But Molly pining for Sherlock is so funny and so touching at the same time! I would miss it if they left it out of the story completely! 

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

April 22, 2014 11:49 am  #31

I too think something would be missing if Molly stopped pining for Sherlock alltogether, it is kind of sweet and endearing, esp. as now Sherlock treats Molly quite as he should have treated her from the very beginning.
I always thought the fact that her boyfriend was dressed up as a Sherlock copycat was rather embarrassing for HIM. He obviously didn't have much of personality, otherwise he wouldn't have done it.

Otherwise, I really hope there is someone other behind Moriarty's return than Moriarty himself. It would be boring and they sort of would repeat themselves.

If Mary dies, I want it to be epic and well written, yes. But as far as this is concerned I really have trust in the writers.

------------------------------------------------------------------

"When you walk with Sherlock Holmes, you see the battlefield" M.H.

"My brother has the brain of scientist or a philosopher, and yet he elects to be a detective...what might we deduce about his heart?" M.H.

"Home is now behind you, the world is ahead."

April 22, 2014 12:10 pm  #32

I trust the writers too. Four more things I don't want to see:

1. It turns out that John is not the biological father of Mary's baby.
2. Mrs. Hudson opens a day care centre.
3. Mycroft's boyfriend
4. CIA insta-thugs (Just add water and stir = plot accelerator.)

April 22, 2014 7:05 pm  #33

For me it's:

- As much comedy as it was in series 3 (please give us the style of series 1 and 2 back, seriously!)
- Moriarty being dead (yes, people, I have no idea how he probably could have faked a shot in the head but I bloody love this guy and I think Sherlock needs him in some way so I really want him back!)
- Magnussen
- Too much of Mary and her baby
- Some other person directing than Paul McGuigan, that guy's style ist just perfect! <3

------------------------------------------------------------
"Love something, and love it deeply."
Andrew Scott

"I don’t care how hypothetical it is, I’m not flying with a live otter in the flight deck."
Captain Martin Crieff

April 22, 2014 7:30 pm  #34

1. Mary being really forgiven and her past forgotten despite having shot Sherlock
2. The Watsons having a baby
3. If a baby need to come up... John Watson not being the father of the baby
4. Moriarty being alive (yeah, I'm pretty mixed up about it...)
5. Poorly written cases like in S3 (I really liked S3 but hell, the cases were dreadful, like the Bainbridge case)
6. Paul McGuigan not being back (I'm dreaming too much, I already know that)
7. John Watson not coming back in 221B
8. Series 4 coming in 2016 (God, it's too long!)
9. Molly slapping Sherlock

"Storming, enjoying, planning, loving, cautioning,
Backing and filling, appearing and disappearing,
I tread day and night such roads."
Walt Whitman

April 22, 2014 8:50 pm  #35

1. John to completely forgive Mary. I mean, she almost killed Sherlock and she lied to him. Not that I hate Mary, on the contrary, I quite like her.
2. Moriarty to come back to life. Okay, first, how could he have pulled off the fake-suicide? Maybe a twin. Okay. But I much prefer him dead, even though I love him. Maybe someone left in his web? Mary? Moran?
3. The cases. Sherlock is, after all, a consulting detective. Maybe they should focus a little more on the little cases, little but impossible to solve by Scotland Yard. The books are, after all, mostly composed of that and plus, it would add a bit of fun.
Sherlock has a high risk of becoming really, REALLY big. It is already big but it shouldn't become James Bond. Maybe calm down on the MI6/MI5 action and have the classic Watson and Holmes adventures for a bit.

SH: Can’t handle a broken heart? How very telling.
MH: Don’t be smart.
SH: That takes me back. [adopts creepy child voice]“Don’t be smart Sherlock, I’m the smart one.”
MH [darkly]: I am the smart one.
SH: I used to think I was an idiot
MH: I'm living in a world of goldfish.
SH: I don’t know. No, I thought perhaps you might have found yourself a…goldfish.
MH: Change the subject. Now.

May 1, 2014 11:31 am  #36

1/ Mycroft always involved in the cases and saving Sherlock (this won't make me popular ...well, I like this version of Mycroft, but it's too easy always having Mycroft's men or british government to cope with a case)
2/ Irene Adler back ( why would she, anyway, after three years?...I'd prefer some new villains)
3/ Sherlock's mind palace (the scene was great, but once is enough for me)
4/ Sherlock being slow or wrong in his deduction ( was very desappointing and frustrating)

May 1, 2014 6:35 pm  #37

"Less comedy more emphasis on solving well plotted mysteries."

In order to do this, they need to find a writer who knows how to write well-plotted mysteries.

May 2, 2014 12:18 am  #38

1) More faked deaths as it would hurt the series credibility.
2) A Baby Watson, as it would ruin the series by making it cutesy and sugar-coated.
3) More Nods to Fandom.
4) Being reminded yet again that Sherlock is a “high-functioning sociopath.” (We already know this we  don’t need to be hit over the head about it)

Last edited by BrettHolmes (May 2, 2014 12:19 am)

May 2, 2014 8:03 pm  #39

Things I don't want to see:
1) Sherlock always wins - I want to see for once his failure. Even in the books Sherlock admitted that he had been beaten 4 times ( 1 was Irene Adler and the rest was other men, Adler had lost in series so I hope in 4 season there would be one victorious villain )
2) Baby Watson - ok, short (but really short) story of Sherlock being the worst uncle in the world could be fun (if producers do it properly), but I don't want to see this baby as very important part of new season
3) More Wiggins - I know that he was in books but to me he is not necessary in series

It seems that I'm the only person who wants or rather doesn't mind Moriarty returns. Of course producers should create very good and very convincing story about he's return, and also they should show much better (or at least as good as previous) encounter between Shelock and Jim. Without that it will be disaster, but if they fulfill this conditions it could be fine.
I really want to see resurrected Moriarty cooperating with other villain or even with Sherlock - that could be very fun and interesting.

Last edited by MartaSt (May 2, 2014 8:16 pm)

***************************************************************************************************************************                                    

"Hey, chief, I might be wrong, but I think we're flying into a mountain. This makes me feel... scared of the mountain.
One thing we could do is pull up and fly over the mountain. How does that sound to...
"

May 2, 2014 8:55 pm  #40

Hmmm. Lots of different opinions here. In the original stories, there are dozens of good villains. So, bring it on! I've been reading all the short stories one after the other and there are times Sherlock makes mistakes. So the villain potential and the "Sherlock isn't perfect" meme are available. But here's what I do NOT want to see.

Mycroft's naked body parts. (Face, neck and hands = OK.)
Enough already about Redbeard.
Mary sacrificing herself to save Sherlock's life.

Board footera