BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 20, 2014 11:45 am  #1

Costuming Series 1-3

Not sure if this is the right place but here goes....

Not specifically the items of costume (I.e. where they originated, designers etc) but how the costuming works for specific characters, for specific scenes etc.

I know someone mentioned this the other day...so here is a thread to discuss and observe away.

Perhaps the best place to start is specific characters:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

January 20, 2014 3:24 pm  #2

Re: Costuming Series 1-3

They dress this Sherlock a bit like old school Dr.Who lol but it works. 
At first Watson was a bit frumpy which worked with his return from Afghanistan. He then meets Sherlock and suddenly finds an ironing board. Good stuff!

"the lowest and vilest alleys in London do not present a more dreadful record of sin than does the smiling and beautiful countryside.”

January 20, 2014 3:57 pm  #3

Good idea, Davina.

Let me start with Mary. I really liked her 20s/30s style outfit in the restaurant scene. Maybe a bit overdressed even for this establishment but very stylish. You could clearly see that she was expecting something special, probably knew John would propose to her. Later we see her in more casual outfits, including the Christmassy red-green thingy when visiting the Holmeses. And someone already stated that she is wearing bright red during the farewell scene while Sherlock and John are both dressed in dark colours. 

Funny side note: someone on the board pointed out the turn-ups on her jeans, deducing she was not the child's mother. 

P.S. Or should we open a thread for every main character so that is does not get mixed up?

Last edited by SusiGo (January 20, 2014 4:01 pm)

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 20, 2014 4:21 pm  #4

I read somewhere that they wanted to get rid of the Belstaff coat but Moffat sulked so they kept it in. 

January 22, 2014 9:52 am  #5

Loved Johns and sherlocks suits at the wedding!

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

January 22, 2014 9:56 am  #6

Forgot to mention sherlocks new dressing gown... Like it, actually, fits well with benedicts dark hair (it's actually ginger, i know, i know...)

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

Board footera