BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 16, 2014 4:36 pm  #161

Re: Mary's Death

besleybean wrote:

And we can't wait!

I can't sustain a high level of excitement for two years again, so I'll just stick around the edges of the fandom until it's finally finally finally time to see S4. I had a hard time with interminable waiting during the 2 years between S2 and 3, and I can't do that again. So I can wait.

May 16, 2014 4:40 pm  #162

Well yeah, literally, so can I.
Cos we have to!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

May 16, 2014 4:48 pm  #163

*confession*
Sometimes I feel like I can wait, because I'm afraid of season 4 becoming something I no longer want to watch
Does that sound crazy? Probably does!!
I don't want it to become just another drama - I want it to keep the heart and soul of the show we grew to love in seasons 1 and 2.

Last edited by Tinks (May 16, 2014 4:49 pm)

"And in the end,
The Love you take
Is equal to the Love you make"
                                             The Beatles

May 16, 2014 4:53 pm  #164

And I stlil did in S3.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

May 16, 2014 4:57 pm  #165

Season 3, for all that it had some brilliant moments, has left me slightly unsettled as to what path it's about to take.
I didn't end up with that "wow" feeling that I'd got from the previous two seasons - I'm just slightly nervous about what's about to happen with it!

"And in the end,
The Love you take
                                             The Beatles

May 16, 2014 5:38 pm  #166

I haven't had Sherlock nearly long enough to get bored with it yet.  I am still riding a high wave of fangirl feels.  I honestly loved S3 but it was also special to me because it was the frist time I was able to watch "new' Sherlock and share it with my fandom friends.

Right now I am not to worried about S4.  I still have faith that even if it doesn't go exactly as I would've planned it, it will still be full of things that surprise and delight me.

Topic?  Oh yea, there is a topic.

It is my personal belief that Mary is not long for the show and that she will die in some way rather than just leave.  However, if I"m wrong it won't be the first time. 

Last edited by tonnaree (May 16, 2014 5:39 pm)

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

May 16, 2014 5:40 pm  #167

Tonnaree, can I just say that your posts are always full of positivity and fun
You seem like a really lovely person, and your faith is infectious - I'm feeling better about season 4 already!

"And in the end,
The Love you take
                                             The Beatles

May 16, 2014 5:51 pm  #168

Tinks wrote:

Tonnaree, can I just say that your posts are always full of positivity and fun
You seem like a really lovely person, and your faith is infectious - I'm feeling better about season 4 already!

*giggle*
*blush*
Aw, thank you Tinks!  I feel all warm and fuzzy now.

I"m basicaly a glass half full kinda person.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

May 16, 2014 6:30 pm  #169

Mmm, I'm assuming that TPTB means 'the powers that be'? Aren't I amazing at guessing foreign abbreviations (or I'm wrong and I look incredibly stupid, well so be it then). 

Honestly, I don't share some of those feelings, I liked Doyle's stories, and reading them for the purpose of writing fanfic has given me a new appreciation as to how good they are. Doyle wrote absolutely amazing villains and twists, and didn't even realise how brilliant some of them were.

I also adore the Moftiss and I think they will give us compelling storylines, Mary or no Mary. Dear, even if they set it on the moon, I'll probably still watch it. At least Sherlock would be required to admit that knowing the solar system could be handy at times. 

What I think they'll do with Mary? She won't be around forever, something will happen, quite possibly her death, and we will learn more about her past. I think she will die in s4 or s5, but not later. Maybe they were plotting towards it and that's why they plotted 4 and 5 at the same time, but who knows. 

Shortly: I trust the Moftiss and now I'm thinking of a AU on the moon. 

May 16, 2014 9:37 pm  #170

Tinks wrote:

Season 3, for all that it had some brilliant moments, has left me slightly unsettled as to what path it's about to take. I didn't end up with that "wow" feeling that I'd got from the previous two seasons - I'm just slightly nervous about what's about to happen with it!

I feel the same way, Tinks. You are not alone. XD

May 16, 2014 9:39 pm  #171

I can honestly say I'm not nervous.
I'll wait and see.
I'll have no qualms to say I don't like S4, if that is the case...
But then I did warm to TEH.

May 17, 2014 1:59 am  #172

tonnaree wrote:

It is my personal belief that Mary is not long for the show and that she will die in some way rather than just leave.  However, if I"m wrong it won't be the first time. 

Normally I would agree, except for one huge glaring fact--  Mary is played by MF's real life girlfriend and the mother of his two kids, and she's also a personal friend of the showrunners and of Ben. I think she wants that job, and probably everyone in charge cares what she wants. So...  well, anyway, it'll be interesting to see how TPTB "fix" the Mary situation, because I doubt very much that they're going to allow Mary to languish in between Sherlock and John for very long.

May 17, 2014 2:01 am  #173

silverblaze wrote:

Mmm, I'm assuming that TPTB means 'the powers that be'? Aren't I amazing at guessing foreign abbreviations (or I'm wrong and I look incredibly stupid, well so be it then).

Yes, the powers that be. Not to be confused with TWIC, the w****ers in charge.  heh

Coming back to edit. Oh, I didn't mean the writers in charge there. Just to clarify. Back to my cave now.

Last edited by ancientsgate (May 17, 2014 2:01 am)

May 17, 2014 7:22 am  #174

silverblaze wrote:

Why are you all so keen on having John back with Sherlock? I really, genuily, do not understand that. I actually really love that the dynamics are changing, keeping to the same situation would only be boring.  

I want John back with Sherlock in the LONG run. At the moment, I enjoy what S3 does to fanfics. IMO reading (and writing) fix-it fics is so much fun after all those post-Reichenbach fics.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

May 17, 2014 9:25 am  #175

ancientsgate wrote:

Yes, the powers that be. Not to be confused with TWIC, the w****ers in charge.  heh

Coming back to edit. Oh, I didn't mean the writers in charge there. Just to clarify. Back to my cave now.

Hah, I didn't know Americans used that word. Sounds so English to my ear. 

I just love the fanfic, that's for me the reason to stick around. It's a lot more fun than just watching a series, we get to create our own versions. 

In canon, Watson is married from 'The sign of four' to 'The final problem'. Doesn't affect the stories negatively. 

May 17, 2014 9:39 am  #176

In canon though, when Watson joins Sherlock on an adventure, he doesn't take Mary with him!
In fact he often stays over in Baker Street - and of course there's no child mentioned either, as far as I can remember.

"And in the end,
The Love you take
                                             The Beatles

May 17, 2014 12:29 pm  #177

Tinks wrote:

It was never boring in the books when they spent the majority of time solving cases together, though!
I actually think it's becoming more boring that writers on TV shows don't seem able to properly develop characters without introducing new people and making different pairings with them,
In my opinion, it saves them from having to come up with new and interesting challenges for the original team to face together; it's much easier to focus on conflict or changing dynamics within a relationship than it is to create interesting scenarios without doing this, and (again, just my opinion) it's something that's done too often - shaking up a relationship to make it more "interesting"
As I say, Conan Doyle managed to keep the stories fresh without resorting to assassin wives, babies, etc!

Can I just come back to this and say: Yes, yes, yes! You go, girl!
It didn't feel boring to me at all after six episodes to have Sherlock and John together in 221B. And I don't think that introducing new characters to a show automatically means that the show gets more interesting - especially if the show has been as interesting as can be before! It's all about the writing, and you can write unconvincing and boring stories even around new characters.
We do have two fascinating, interesting, lovable main characters right there, and I certainly want them back together again in 221B. It might make for one beautiful episode when John moves back in and things feel different than they did before, for both of them...

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

May 17, 2014 12:39 pm  #178

ancientsgate wrote:

tonnaree wrote:

Normally I would agree, except for one huge glaring fact--  Mary is played by MF's real life girlfriend and the mother of his two kids, and she's also a personal friend of the showrunners and of Ben. I think she wants that job, and probably everyone in charge cares what she wants. So...  well, anyway, it'll be interesting to see how TPTB "fix" the Mary situation, because I doubt very much that they're going to allow Mary to languish in between Sherlock and John for very long.

Agree...AA did say..rather morbidly I thought, that she took the part so she could/got to die in MF's arms.
Obviously she was guessing from canon and doesn't know...however she doesn't seem to have or expect a long term contract/part.
Also on the Mary Morstan died already...symbolically. .so this is like his second wife..but she died tooo in canon...
so two wives for the price of one....

As for why do people want to get rid of Mary I think its the same reason there's so much Johnlock support and always was..and likely why it started...
We all love Sherlock Holmes so much we don't want him to be alone...growing old...a recluse in the country...with bee's...forgotten..living apart from John...and dieing alone...as Doyle seemed to leave it.
are you crying yet...
We all want Holmes to have his happy ever after...
What makes Holmes happy..is John Watson.
( even more obviously so in this BBC adaptation. Horrible though it is to think of the end..)

So we give him John...because he deserves more than bee's!

May 17, 2014 12:45 pm  #179

*heart falling on the floor and shattering*

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

May 17, 2014 12:55 pm  #180

My god, lil... are you crazy? This is just...

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

Board footera