BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 19, 2014 1:08 am  #81

Re: Mary's Death

RavenMorganLeigh wrote:

I'm going to agree with you here with the caveat that the baby won't be an infant by the time the new season airs, am I correct? On the other hand, it seems a shame to , well-- kinda waste her skills-- shouldn't she be going along as backup for John? They may need to get a sitter. :-) 

AFAIK, no one knows anything about the timeline for S4. The showrunners could decide to just pick right up where they left off, or they could take us a couple years into the future, or anything in between.

A babysitter. *smile*   I dunno.  I'm just trying to picture John staying married to "that wife" (as Moriarty called her) and them raising an innocent child together. I mean, srsly, can any of us really envision such a thing?  I sure can't.

March 19, 2014 6:09 pm  #82

RedKitten wrote:

Ok I never post to these things but I decided to do so here.
I knew that Mary would not be killed off at the end of series 3 because it would have made very little sense to do so after having spent a whole episode, when there are only  3 the begin with, on the wedding. I mean why 'waste" a whole episode on a marriage that lasts a month?  And they didn't have to kill her if they really wanted to get rid of the character--Mary's lying  to John about her past/shooting Sherlock could have ended her right there. In fact, Moffat once said in an interview that he wanted to look at the idea of Sherlock and John living apart  but didn't  know if he would have John get married. He obviously had his reasons for deciding to do that.
Sorry folks, but the baby is the issue here. That's because the idea of the pregnancy/baby is so far out of canon that to bring it into the story and then just have it go away (loss of pregnancy/baby death/child living elsewhere) just for the sake of canon is pointless.  Add to that, the fact that they throw canon out the window all the time. Now Moffat and Gatiss have been known to introduce  pointless plot developments into their stories (Molly's engagement, for example), but I don't think this is one of them. This all has to do with the fact that Moffat is very fond of the idea of family. The idea of "family" is all over his past projects--Coupling,  Jekyll, even Doctor Who (Amy and Rory were the first married couple to be The Doctor's companions. They even had a child--although that didn't work out like it usually does, but still...). And you couldn't miss the family bonding theme in this 3rd Sherlock series.  Anyway, what Moffat is doing here is something  that is sometimes done in genre TV--giving a/the protagonist a surrogate family. Through John and Mary, he is giving Sherlock a kind of family (i.e., couple/child) that he will never have on his own. This has nothing to do with what is or is not canon and everything to do with an idea that Moffat is partial to. And as it's his show, he can do whatever he wants. I'm not saying that Mary/baby will be playing a big role in upcoming series but they will be there.  I'm looking foward to the scene set 17 or 18 years in the future where Sherlock and John are interrogating one of the girl's dates before the couple heads out.

Thia is not what I'd like to see, but I'm going to agree with you that this is probably where the show is going. However, I think the show may end up with a sort of bifurcated effect, two storylines running side by side; John, Mary and Baby, and Sherlock and cases, with John only showing up for some of them. 

May 8, 2014 12:27 am  #83

I don't think they will kill Mary.  However I think they will get rid of her character all the same.  John will find out what ever it is that was on Mary's flash drive and he won't love her anymore.  I bet her jobs after the CIA was working for Moriearty.  Something from Mary's past will come to haunt her and she will have to run away and change her identity again.  She will take the baby with her, because John can't be tied down with a family while running around with Sherlock.  Or not lol.  I hope they keep her around for at least one more season.

"Look I'm in shock. I've got a blanket."
"It's where two people who like each other go out and have fun?"
"I will burn the heart out of you."
"Lets have dinner."
"I don't have friends. I've just got one."
"Don't,"
"Just the two of us against the rest of the world."
"Oh, Sherlock, what do we say about coincidences?"
"Did you miss me?"

May 8, 2014 5:45 am  #84

Your avatar is freaking me out!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

May 8, 2014 11:54 am  #85

I remain convinced that Mary will die somehow.  But I've been wrong befhore.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

May 8, 2014 5:19 pm  #86

sara wrote:

I don't think they will kill Mary.  However I think they will get rid of her character all the same.  John will find out what ever it is that was on Mary's flash drive and he won't love her anymore.  I bet her jobs after the CIA was working for Moriearty.  Something from Mary's past will come to haunt her and she will have to run away and change her identity again.  She will take the baby with her, because John can't be tied down with a family while running around with Sherlock.  Or not lol.  I hope they keep her around for at least one more season.

I agree completely. I know Moftiss (and the whole crew for that matter) lie through their teeth when they need to, but I genuinely believe them when they tell Amanda that they love her as Mary and that she won't be killed off. I remember an interview in which Moffat deplores that ACD's Mary was killed off-scene.

So I think one of the first twists will be that John has indeed read the info on the flash-drive and is lying to Mary about it. Maybe Sherlock has too and they've both agreed to pretend that they have forgiven her. They work out a connection between Mary's past and the new Moriarty impersonation and John leaves Mary, or she has to disappear again/go under WP/whatever.

May 8, 2014 6:29 pm  #87

"I remember an interview in which Moffat deplores that ACD's Mary was killed off-scene."

Oh, I have no doubt that they would kill her onscreen for us all to see and suffer through.

Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 

May 8, 2014 7:00 pm  #88

Maybe. But I would be very surprised if it happened before the end of the series. It just seems plausible that this time they would go for a solution that doesn't involve John mourning a loved one for years... Because that's so 2 years ago...

May 8, 2014 7:52 pm  #89

TheSkull wrote:

Maybe. But I would be very surprised if it happened before the end of the series. It just seems plausible that this time they would go for a solution that doesn't involve John mourning a loved one for years... Because that's so 2 years ago...

There are many different ways and reasons Mary could die.  I can imagine cases where John would pull the trigger himself even.

But then, I'm evil that way.

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

May 8, 2014 7:59 pm  #90

And the baby?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

May 8, 2014 8:30 pm  #91

The baby is my only impossible problem in this scenario... I'd be willing to buy many different storylines explaining what happens with John and Mary's relationship, but there isn't a single one where another baby than Sherlock himself wouldn't seem out of place.

May 8, 2014 10:34 pm  #92

I don't know, but I think something might happen to the baby first.

I have been thinking: what if Mary doesn't die? After all, Mary Morstan is already dead. A.G.R.A just took her identity. Maybe she will live, but after something happens to the baby, she leaves. Maybe she realizes that she can't escape her past and that it would be better for John and her if she went.

I can just picture a scene between John and her. One who is addicted to danger and ones that attracts danger. Both are dangerous and try to have a normal life, but realize they can't. If they stay together, it would be horrible. so Mary leaves and John is left wondering.

LOL I don't know. XD 

May 9, 2014 12:42 am  #93

TheSkull wrote:

And by keeping him married to Mary, they keep him out of Sherlock's arms. I think it's important to the showrunners that both Sherlock and John are perceived as honorable men (men who rub shoulders with criminals and who kill others when necessary, but honorable nonetheless), and as long as TPTB keep Mary in the picture (not to mention the baby, should it survive, and I presume it will), that will keep the Johnlock speculations somewhat at bay.  Just a thought.

May 9, 2014 12:45 am  #94

tonnaree wrote:

There are many different ways and reasons Mary could die.  I can imagine cases where John would pull the trigger himself even.
But then, I'm evil that way.

I'm pretty evil myself, but I can't imagine a scenario that would require MF the actor to portray his character pulling the trigger on AA the actor, who just happens to be MF's RL girlfriend and the mother of his two beloved kids. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know we're not supposed to confuse the actors with their characters, but...  sorry, I cannot imagine MF doing a scene like that, or AA, either one. *shrug*

May 9, 2014 12:49 am  #95

TheSkull wrote:

The baby is my only impossible problem in this scenario... I'd be willing to buy many different storylines explaining what happens with John and Mary's relationship, but there isn't a single one where another baby than Sherlock himself wouldn't seem out of place.

I  love domestic stuff (and yeah, I know, I sound like Mrs. H), but the idea to let the guys have a nice normal domestic scene doesn't offend me -- John, Mary and baby in their own place somewhere, Sherlock back at 221b, maybe with a succession of weirdo roommates (that actually would be too funny), and then J/M/baby coming over once in awhile, so Uncle Sherlock could bounce the kid on his knee and let him play with the skull off the mantel. lololol  But srsly, why not?  In S4, they could actually enjoy a period of peace in their personal lives (they all deserve it, god knows) and John and Sherlock could still run the streets and do their casework thing.

May 9, 2014 12:53 am  #96

LoveIsAViciousMotivator wrote:

I have been thinking: what if Mary doesn't die? After all, Mary Morstan is already dead. A.G.R.A just took her identity. ...

Ah. Good point. Mary Morstan is already dead..... hmm, I think I love it.
I cannot see TPTB killing the baby.... too harsh, too hard, too socially unacceptable in a show that's not a soap opera, after all, but a crime drama with a lot of humor and a bit of relationship/friendship thrown in for good measure. And I don't think they want to get rid of Amanda, either. MM is already dead, so see?  Now they don't have to kill off this Mary we know. Hmmm.

May 9, 2014 12:59 am  #97

ancientsgate wrote:

TheSkull wrote:

I  love domestic stuff (and yeah, I know, I sound like Mrs. H), but the idea to let the guys have a nice normal domestic scene doesn't offend me -- John, Mary and baby in their own place somewhere, Sherlock back at 221b, maybe with a succession of weirdo roommates (that actually would be too funny), and then J/M/baby coming over once in awhile, so Uncle Sherlock could bounce the kid on his knee and let him play with the skull off the mantel. lololol  But srsly, why not?  In S4, they could actually enjoy a period of peace in their personal lives (they all deserve it, god knows) and John and Sherlock could still run the streets and do their casework thing.

... You must be joking. What about the blood pumping through their veins and the two of them against the rest of the world, etc?

You want the baby to play with the skull? That's horrifying. God I wish there were no baby.

May 9, 2014 1:10 am  #98

TheSkull wrote:

ancientsgate wrote:

TheSkull wrote:

... You must be joking. What about the blood pumping through their veins and the two of them against the rest of the world, etc? You want the baby to play with the skull? That's horrifying. God I wish there were no baby.

Yes, I am half joking. No need to be "horrified"; it was just a thought, perhaps a silly one, but not original with me, take my word for it.

It doesn't matter if you (or I, or anyone else) wish there were no baby. There IS a baby.... the writers have painted their characters into that particular corner, and now they're going to have to decide what to do with it. We shall all be waiting on pins and needles for the big reveal in S4, as always.

May 9, 2014 1:39 am  #99

ancientsgate wrote:

I cannot see TPTB killing the baby.... too harsh, too hard, too socially unacceptable in a show that's not a soap opera, after all, but a crime drama with a lot of humor and a bit of relationship/friendship thrown in for good measure. And I don't think they want to get rid of Amanda, either. MM is already dead, so see?  Now they don't have to kill off this Mary we know. Hmmm.

I know it is too harsh to do on the show.

Yeah! That's why I think we won't be seeing this character die.

May 9, 2014 5:30 am  #100

LoveIsAViciousMotivator wrote:

...Yeah! That's why I think we won't be seeing this character die.

The baby really complicates things, and I presume that was the writers' intention.

Board footera