BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 19, 2014 4:04 pm  #1

is a sherlock holmes possible?

i know that sherlock's deduction skills were inspired from a real person but i cant find out any person that had powers like him
so i was thinking wheather it is possible for a real human to have observation and deduction ability, totally controlled brain and powerful memory like sherlock? or is it just too unrealistic?

Last edited by badatenglish (January 19, 2014 4:05 pm)

January 19, 2014 7:08 pm  #2

Re: is a sherlock holmes possible?

Not like that, but in science and some professions people do use special skills in logic and observation. 

January 19, 2014 10:24 pm  #3

I think it's possible but whether or not they'd be an arse about it is another question.

Female intuition is also pretty amazing sometimes but harder to explain coz it's not logic based.

January 20, 2014 5:21 pm  #4

I think a more interesting question is, would society really be fascinated with him, would he attract followers? Especially in the modern era when we feel like we've seen it all, and there is nothing out of the ordinary about narcissism or poor social skills. (That was something of a novelty in socially-rigid Victorian England, and his methods were probably more cutting-edge then, too.)

The modern Sherlock isn't terribly different from, at least, a lot of other modern crimefighting characters.

January 20, 2014 5:52 pm  #5

I think its a given people would be fascinated by him. A good looking guy solving some of the biggest crimes around, and regularly appearing in the news. 

Board footera