BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 19, 2014 12:54 pm  #1

What does everybody think of chibi/baby Sherlock in this series?

It's the first time we see chibi/baby Sherlock. He appears in POV angles from both Sherlock & Mycroft.
Would you have preferred you never saw what Sherlock looked like when he was younger or are you keen to see more of the chibi/baby him.

On the same topic, I wonder if we will ever get to see a chibi/baby John on the show

January 19, 2014 12:56 pm  #2

Re: What does everybody think of chibi/baby Sherlock in this series?

I liked it very much. It wouldn't have been right if they had showed him in the first or second seasons, but in S3 they had showed Sherlock's vulnerability and so seeing him as a child fit quite well.

And Steven's son is absolutely adorable. I can completely see Sherlock looking like that as a child, and I can see Mycroft still seeing him as that child.

January 19, 2014 1:10 pm  #3

Chibi?

January 19, 2014 1:17 pm  #4

I have absolutely no clue what a chibi might be.
Why would we be seeing  John as a child?
The pictures of Sherlock as a child are all memories in Sherlock's mind palace, after all.
And they serve a certain purpose.
I don't think he knew John as a child. Therefore no pictures of him.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

January 19, 2014 1:37 pm  #5

Mycroft as a child would be hilarious.

January 19, 2014 1:45 pm  #6

Oh, please let them not over-do this. No matter how cute Baby John must have been, please let them show us stuff like that only when it serves a real purpose on the show.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

January 19, 2014 1:51 pm  #7

I liked the idea in general but I would have prefered another actor.
Sure, Louis is cute, but he didn't feel like Sherlock to me. Of course people change a lot when they grow up but I really wish I had recognised at least a tiny bit of present day Sherlock in mini Sherlock.

--------------------------------

"Yes, of course I forgive you."

January 19, 2014 1:52 pm  #8

shezza wrote:

Chibi?

Chibi is Japanese for little & is used in online fanfiction community to mean reimaginings of a character from childhood. Chibis usually feature in origin stories whose childhood is not really known from cannon & so the fanfiction writer is free to write chibi characters as they like.

Sorry I've been involved in online fanfiction for ten years, sometimes the terminology slips through.

January 19, 2014 2:22 pm  #9

I liked the actor and thought he looked enough like Sherlock. His hair is naturally black and curly so that's even better than Benedict. 

January 19, 2014 2:33 pm  #10

Ah gotcha.

I liked baby Sherlock. Like I said in another thread, the way he was portrayed made me think of a kind of sickly, sheltered boy from a posh family (with his cardigan all buttoned up, the shirt, so neat and proper).

January 19, 2014 3:02 pm  #11

shezza wrote:

the way he was portrayed made me think of a kind of sickly, sheltered boy from a posh family

I get the sheltered part but sickly?

Sherlock Memoirs: The Curse of Growing up Rich, lol.

Last edited by saturnR (January 19, 2014 3:03 pm)

January 19, 2014 3:09 pm  #12

Actually, I'm taking the sickly part from Baring-Gould's biography of Sherlock Holmes. It's not really canon, but he was a preminent Sherlockian scholar and Moftiss seem to be aknowledging his work (the "other brother", Sherlock's full name). Also, the fact that he wore his cardigan all buttoned up. I was a sick child myself and my parents always insisted that I wear multiple layers with a top cardigan buttoned up to my neck. I think that's why I made the association 

January 19, 2014 3:16 pm  #13

Schmiezi wrote:

Oh, please let them not over-do this. No matter how cute Baby John must have been, please let them show us stuff like that only when it serves a real purpose on the show.

Seconded.

Same as I have always wanted John to have a fashback to a memory of the army.  But only if it made sense in the story.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

January 19, 2014 3:20 pm  #14

silverblaze wrote:

I liked the actor and thought he looked enough like Sherlock. His hair is naturally black and curly so that's even better than Benedict. 

Black? I actually thought it was far too light and curly!
But things like that often change, I guess? I remember baby photos of my brother where he had dark blond hair and now it's almost black...

--------------------------------

"Yes, of course I forgive you."

January 19, 2014 3:55 pm  #15

why didnt they use that kid that plays hugo in hugo and ender in endgame? he looks a lot like sherlock

January 19, 2014 3:57 pm  #16

I think Louis was the perfect choice and he was brilliant.
Maybe in future thy'll use Josh as teenager/student Sherlock!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 19, 2014 4:31 pm  #17

Sherlock is just about the most nepotistic show on the BBC so...

GATISS: "We need someone to play Mary?"
MOFFAT: "How about Martin's missus?"

GATISS: "We need someone to play Sherlock's parents?"
MOFFAT: "How about Benedict's parents?"

GATISS: "We need someone to play kid Sherlock?"
MOFFAT: "How about my kid? He has curly hair, perfect."

Haha, I'm not complaining, just taking the piss. I think he was cute and did a good job. I liked seeing kid Sherlock, especially in that context. Pretty heartbreaking stuff. Typical of Moffat to use his son to break the fandom.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

January 19, 2014 6:43 pm  #18

I always loved the idea of Gulliver McGrath as young Sherlock - alas, he's too old now! 

http://rhymeswithcat.tumblr.com/post/10989192776/lookie-that-kids-a-young-sherlock 

Last edited by Harriet (January 19, 2014 6:44 pm)

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

January 19, 2014 6:55 pm  #19

Moffat said he had quite some reservations to having his kid involved. 

January 19, 2014 6:59 pm  #20

I understand that.  But I'm glad he did. It worked.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

Board footera