BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 3, 2014 12:04 am  #121

Re: How Mary could have shot Sherlock and everyone forgave her for it

Swanpride wrote:

He was the one who left the hospital, hauled around furniture and generally disregarded his health until he started to bleed internally again.

On the other hand he would not have been in the hospital in the first place had Mary not shot him, he had been threatened further by her in the hospital, and he had just had the somewhat unnerving experience of Janine tampering with his intravenous line, underlining just how vulnerable he was.

I agree that he should have got Mrs Hudson to move John's chair, though

February 3, 2014 10:33 am  #122

Tinks wrote:

...I'm absolutely convinced that Sherlock is lying to John about Mary not trying to kill him... I think he knows that she shot to kill.

But she didn't. She demonstrated with the flying coin that she can put the bullet from her gun any damned place she pleases. So she could've shot Sherlock right between the eyes, or through the heart, if she'd so chosen, but she didn't.

February 3, 2014 10:40 am  #123

Exactly.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

February 3, 2014 10:51 am  #124

ancientsgate wrote:

Tinks wrote:

...I'm absolutely convinced that Sherlock is lying to John about Mary not trying to kill him... I think he knows that she shot to kill.

But she didn't. She demonstrated with the flying coin that she can put the bullet from her gun any damned place she pleases. So she could've shot Sherlock right between the eyes, or through the heart, if she'd so chosen, but she didn't.

See I need to watch that scene again because I'm not sure about it.
I though he said, after she hit the coin "not THAT good" - meaning she hit the coin off centre.
This to me means she hit Sherlock off centre too - that it was his good fortune that the bullet didn't hit his heart.
Maybe I've got that bit wrong - but she took a massive chance shooting him like that: his own will kept him alive rather than Mary taking a merciful shot - if he'd died then she'd have murdered him and John wouldn't have known it was her - I can't square that one at all, I'm afraid.

"And in the end,
The Love you take
Is equal to the Love you make"
                                             The Beatles

February 3, 2014 11:33 am  #125

ancientsgate wrote:

Tinks wrote:

But she did shoot to kill; he died, remember?

I think you will find that the Courts would be remarkably unsympathetic to the idea that a shot into the central mass was intended to wound but not kill, not least because physiologists agree that it's an excellent place to put a shot to kill.

She just didn't want him dead straight away, because if she'd put a bullet through his head or his heart John would have come after her, and she had just established that John was there. And, whilst John has his faults, I do not think he would have stopped to grieve at Sherlock's body; he would have gone straight after her, texting Mycroft and Lestrade as he went.

I have no doubt that CAM did all in his power to get paramedics there at the speed of light, not least because if Sherlock died bang went his chances of controlling Mycroft, and billionaires have excellent methods of getting paramedics there at the speed of light. 

February 3, 2014 11:37 am  #126

Actually, if one watches very carefully, it is evident that she shifted the pistol just a tiny bit before the shoot.
I think Sherlock is able to forgive her, because he can be pretty ruthless as well, when it comes to protect his friends - he isn't thrilled by what she has done but he understands her motives.

February 3, 2014 11:57 am  #127

miriel68 wrote:

Actually, if one watches very carefully, it is evident that she shifted the pistol just a tiny bit before the shoot.
I think Sherlock is able to forgive her, because he can be pretty ruthless as well, when it comes to protect his friends - he isn't thrilled by what she has done but he understands her motives.

I am sceptical about Mary acting to protect her friends; we know that Sherlock does so but we never see Mary do anything to protect anyone other than Mary.

It makes far more sense that Mary didn't take the head shot because if she had John would have gone straight after her, and with Sherlock dead CAM would have had no more use for her. Far better from Mary's perspective to have Sherlock dying somewhat more slowly, giving her time to activate her next identity and determine what CAM's sources were so she can take them out; hence her carrying the AGRA memory stick with her...

February 3, 2014 7:23 pm  #128

All that I have to say to this is that I don't believe for one second that Mary, trained CIA agent that she apparently is, wouldn't know where to aim either in order to shoot to kill or in order to 'securely' incapacitate someone without running the risk of him dying during the next three minutes. She knows exactly where she would have to shoot Sherlock so that he goes down and isn't able to do her any harm while she finishes whatever it is that she wants to finish - and there'd be more time than just three minutes to save him.
She put up with the possibility that Sherlock might die. And she explains herself why that is: Because she would never allow anything or anyone to endanger her relationship with John.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

February 3, 2014 7:29 pm  #129

Willow wrote:

She did not take what is known as a "kill shot", which is through the heart.  And she didn't aim for his head. Anyone can eventually die from any kind of gunshot wound, of course-- even a flesh wound in an arm or leg or side could kill them, from blood loss alone. Never aim your gun at anyone you don't want to kill is usually the first rule in any gun training class, after all. But if she'd wanted to make SURE he was dead, she never would have shot him where she did.

And anyway, the show is called Sherlock. She couldn't kill him, because they need him for S4. And him being dead-but-not-dead is so two years ago. *snerk*

February 3, 2014 7:33 pm  #130

SolarSystem wrote:

.... she would never allow anything or anyone to endanger her relationship with John.

She loves Sherlock, too-- he is not just John's friend in S3, but also her own. The writers have made her affection for Sherlock extremely obvious.

February 3, 2014 7:33 pm  #131

ancientsgate wrote:

Anyone can eventually die from any kind of gunshot wound, of course-- even a flesh wound in an arm or leg or side could kill them, from blood loss alone.

Yes, but certainly not within the next three minutes.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

February 3, 2014 7:35 pm  #132

Nah, she didn't want him dead or she wouldn't have rung the emergency services. Occam's razor anyone? She did want him incapacitated immediately and then persuade him not to say anything. She did take quite a risk with his life, I put it down to 'film logic'; in films, everyone's wounds always heal a lot quicker, everyone survives cardiac arrest, shoulder wounds are never serious etc. It's probably quite something that Moffat googled where the liver is and what kind of consequences an injury would have. I don't think he's too bothered with the mortality rate, he was probably happy to find a way to have someone seriously injured from a gunshot while still able to survive. The injuries in TEH all miraculously disappear. 

February 3, 2014 7:39 pm  #133

SolarSystem wrote:

ancientsgate wrote:

Anyone can eventually die from any kind of gunshot wound, of course-- even a flesh wound in an arm or leg or side could kill them, from blood loss alone.

Yes, but certainly not within the next three minutes.

Fortunately, I have no first-hand knowledge of what kind of gunshot wound does what in what timeframe, so I can't speak to that except in general terms-- a wound through the side is less immediately dangerous than one between the eyes or through the heart or a lung, for instance-- common sense tells me that. But beyond that, they made a BIG point (using valuable minutes in the show) to demonstrate to us that Mary is indeed a crack shot-- she would stand out, even in a room full of other crack shots-- we clearly saw that in the coin demo she did. So I believe and will continue to believe that she put that bullet into Sherlock just exactly where she wanted it. She wanted him down for the count, not just standing there hanging onto one arm or something, but she wanted to at least give him a chance to live through it.

February 3, 2014 7:40 pm  #134

silverblaze, calling emergency services could have been part of a plan. If Sherlock does survive, he knows that she called for an ambulance and so, as we have seen, tells John that Mary did save his life instead of taking it. Quite convenient, if you ask me. The fact that she called for an ambulance doesn't proof anything, imo.

Last edited by SolarSystem (February 3, 2014 7:41 pm)

February 3, 2014 7:43 pm  #135

SolarSystem wrote:

Calling emergency services could have been part of a plan. If Sherlock does survive, he knows that she called for an ambulance and so, as we have seen, tells John that Mary did save his life instead of taking it. Quite convenient, if you ask me. The fact that she called for an ambulance doesn't proof anything, imo.

Well, it at least proves that she didn't mean to murder him in cold blood where he stood. After all, a murderer wouldn't call 911 (or in this case, 999) as he stood over his victim.

Everything in that scene is a plot device, and we'd do well to remember that, IMO. None of it has to make a whole lot of logical sense-- it's only a TV show, it's only a TV show, it's only a TV show.....

February 3, 2014 7:52 pm  #136

ancientsgate wrote:

Willow wrote:

She did not take what is known as a "kill shot", which is through the heart.  And she didn't aim for his head. Anyone can eventually die from any kind of gunshot wound, of course-- even a flesh wound in an arm or leg or side could kill them, from blood loss alone. Never aim your gun at anyone you don't want to kill is usually the first rule in any gun training class, after all. But if she'd wanted to make SURE he was dead, she never would have shot him where she did.

And anyway, the show is called Sherlock. She couldn't kill him, because they need him for S4. And him being dead-but-not-dead is so two years ago. *snerk*

So, you mean that she killed him by accident? Couldn't she have just shot him in the leg, then knocked him out with the gun? She had a silencer. 

February 3, 2014 7:53 pm  #137

ancientsgate wrote:

Well, it at least proves that she didn't mean to murder him in cold blood where he stood. After all, a murderer wouldn't call 911 (or in this case, 999) as he stood over his victim.

She still ran the risk of Sherlock dying because of the way she shot him. And let's not forget that the fact that she called an ambulance had nothing to do with Sherlock surviving. He already flatlined and came back because of his 'inner Moriarty' or whatever you wanna call it.

ancientsgate wrote:

Everything in that scene is a plot device, and we'd do well to remember that, IMO. None of it has to make a whole lot of logical sense-- it's only a TV show, it's only a TV show, it's only a TV show.....

Well, almost everything in almost every scene is a plot device. What does that mean then, that we should stop talking about it because it's just a plot device? What's the use of a forum like this then?

February 3, 2014 7:54 pm  #138

RavenMorganLeigh wrote:

Couldn't she have just shot him in the leg, then knocked him out with the gun? She had a silencer. 

Ha, that's exactly what I thought about this afternoon, I just forgot to mention it.

February 3, 2014 7:59 pm  #139

SolarSystem wrote:

RavenMorganLeigh wrote:

Couldn't she have just shot him in the leg, then knocked him out with the gun? She had a silencer. 

Ha, that's exactly what I thought about this afternoon, I just forgot to mention it.

No, a simple shot in the leg wouldn't have called the mind palace into action.
What would we have missed!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

February 3, 2014 8:02 pm  #140

But if she knocked him unconscious...?
Okay, alright... darn plot device, right?

Board footera