BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 18, 2014 11:32 pm  #41

Re: What's in a name?

Willow wrote:

I was pointing out that John came very close to failing absolutely both as a doctor and as a friend in that scene at Baker St; I can certainly find reasons to explain it, and clearly Sherlock forgave him for it, but nevertheless it was just as well that Sherlock had called the ambulance himself because if he had relied on his best friend the doctor he would have died. It makes Sherlock's best man speech all the more poignant because it turned out that Sherlock would catch a murderer -Mary- but John Watson was not the person who would save someone's life.

Willow, I am so much with you in all this reasoning. As I said more then once in different threads, I started the season feeling sorry for poor John and ended it being quite angry with him. And this is great, from my point of view. I am not sure it was completely intentional as far as M & G are concerned, but the lack of balance in John and Sherlock relationship which I perceive in HLV made Sherlock acts and sacrifice all more touching and poignant. Also, if Watson continued to be a-perfect-friend-and-Sherlock-s-moral-compass the whole thing could easily slide into alarmingly soapy melodrama.

January 18, 2014 11:38 pm  #42

Looks as if in series 3 John and Sherlock had never been closer (TSoT) but also never been more distant towards an other (HLV) as ever before.

Last edited by stoertebeker (January 18, 2014 11:38 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"There is a place for people like you, the desperate, the terrified. The ones with nowhere else to run."
"What place?"
"221B Baker Street."

January 19, 2014 1:40 am  #43

Swanpride wrote:

I don't expect John to ever aknowledge Mary's past again - he basically burned it.

John said "The game is over" and Sherlock denied it. It was practically a promise to come back.

But what Sherlock said that was that there would be other players; that is not, in any way, a statement that he will return...

January 19, 2014 8:19 am  #44

That's how I took it, too, Willow.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 19, 2014 10:58 am  #45

Willow wrote:

And, about the bleeding to death thing; there are straightforward and obvious signs of the loss of blood pressure etc when someone is bleeding internally; it's first year medical school stuff. The actor and the make up team did a great job, but then they actually use actors, and make up teams, in medical schools to simulate such situations; for obvious reasons you don't let students loose on people with life threatening conditions like internal bleeding. I appreciate that you do not realise this, since you believe that someone can walk around a couple of days after taking a bullet into a lung with no ill effects, but it was textbook stuff.

I didn't know that, thanks, learned something new. Overall, the show isn't very realistic when it comes to medical stuff, forensic experts would probably find it even harder to watch. I doubt that Moffat understands the implications, movie wounds have a tendency to be a lot less serious than their real life counterparts. So I think it's more likely to be a writer error than a real characterisation of John. 

On the other thread the experts are ripping the ballistics of the bullet to pieces. Great fun and I'm learning a lot, but it doesn't really help understanding the story. 

January 19, 2014 11:37 am  #46

Willow wrote:

Swanpride wrote:

I don't expect John to ever aknowledge Mary's past again - he basically burned it.

John said "The game is over" and Sherlock denied it. It was practically a promise to come back.

But what Sherlock said that was that there would be other players; that is not, in any way, a statement that he will return...

I agree. I still find it a bit harsh that after everything Sherlock has done for him, completely selflessly may I add, John still says 'we're not naming our daughter after you'. Granted you can't call a baby girl 'Sherlock', but you could give her a name which is somehow in his honour - people call their children after their friends for MUCH less.

This said, I understand that making John tearfully say 'yes Sherlock we will call her after you so you won't be forgotten' would have sounded cheesy, out of character, and would have perhaps even made the situation sound definitive - as in, 'yes I believe it's all over'.

Also, I am willing to forgive 'assholish' John, because I am willing to see this particular exchange as them joking with each other.
oh well.

January 19, 2014 11:39 am  #47

As I'm sure Steven would say:  this is what guy friends do.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 19, 2014 11:57 am  #48

besleybean wrote:

My guy friends certainly do!  Whoa, the way they talk to each other!

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

January 19, 2014 12:04 pm  #49

tonnaree wrote:

besleybean wrote:

My guy friends certainly do!  Whoa, the way they talk to each other!

eh. Steven is so good at keeping everything so manly every time
Thank God for Gatiss, I need some softness every now and then.

January 19, 2014 12:17 pm  #50

Wow.
Mark likes the dark/menacing stuff...

January 19, 2014 12:27 pm  #51

besleybean wrote:

Wow.
Mark likes the dark/menacing stuff...

I didn't mean his stuff is all fluff... I just meant he also includes 'fluff'...

January 19, 2014 12:28 pm  #52

John always had major difficulties to talk about his feelings. Just think back to the sessions with his therapist where he said as good as nothing. Sherlock is generally a bit more outspoken but not when it comes to "sentiment". They both go through a development towards being more emotional, and it becomes obvious at some points in S3, but of course it's still far from being complete. Is it really that surprising that in the final scenes of HLV, which are all about emotions/their feelings for each other, they just don't know what to say?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He’s got a dog. We go to the pub on weekends. I’ve met his mum and dad …

… and his friends and all his family and I’ve no idea why I’m telling you this.

January 19, 2014 12:29 pm  #53

silverblaze wrote:

Willow wrote:

And, about the bleeding to death thing; there are straightforward and obvious signs of the loss of blood pressure etc when someone is bleeding internally; it's first year medical school stuff. The actor and the make up team did a great job, but then they actually use actors, and make up teams, in medical schools to simulate such situations; for obvious reasons you don't let students loose on people with life threatening conditions like internal bleeding. I appreciate that you do not realise this, since you believe that someone can walk around a couple of days after taking a bullet into a lung with no ill effects, but it was textbook stuff.

I didn't know that, thanks, learned something new. Overall, the show isn't very realistic when it comes to medical stuff, forensic experts would probably find it even harder to watch. I doubt that Moffat understands the implications, movie wounds have a tendency to be a lot less serious than their real life counterparts. So I think it's more likely to be a writer error than a real characterisation of John. 

On the other thread the experts are ripping the ballistics of the bullet to pieces. Great fun and I'm learning a lot, but it doesn't really help understanding the story. 

Yep; ballistics stuff is a constant source of interest to people who understand it, and I'm not one of them

But I'm sure that Moffat does understand the implications of that scene; even if we completely ignored the pointed riposte to the statement in Sherlock's Best Man speech about John being the person who saves people's lives, if Moffat did not understand what is happening to Sherlock why should he write the scene in the way he did? Sherlock's collapse was genuinely text book stuff; it makes no sense to say that they got all of the physical aspects perfectly right but this was some sort of coincidence which happened accidentally.

I agree that people do all sorts of implausible things when they get shot in the movies, but in Sherlock's Mind Palace there is a specific reference to it not being like the movies; the various characters were telling him what to do if he wanted to live, with Mycroft cheerfully pointing out that he had been murdered. Nothing in that scene suggests that Sherlock had taken a ludicrous 'it's just a flesh wound' movie bullet, and the fact that he was then shown flatlining emphasises this even more.

So we are left with John so angered by his discovery of what Mary was that everything he had ever learned was wiped from his brain; all of his instinctive reactions, which become automatic in a doctor because they have done them thousands of times, disappear because he's throwing a massive tantrum. Which is why I originally speculated that John's personality was disintegrating; that's a more generous interpretation than many of the alternatives. I do hope that John achieves some sort of equilibrium in Season 4 because at the moment he seems a long way from being the person described in the speech of his Best Man...

January 19, 2014 1:16 pm  #54

John wasn't being an asshole in the tarmac scene, come on. Neither of them really knew what to say, after all they're two grown ass emotionally-stunted men in their thirties with LOTS of things going on in their lives. I for one would have laughed at my TV screen had they shown some emotional goodbye with hugs, professions of love and tears.

January 19, 2014 1:26 pm  #55

Would you?
I would have loved it.
But I perfectly underdstand why they didn't do it.

January 19, 2014 1:31 pm  #56

shezza wrote:

John wasn't being an asshole in the tarmac scene, come on. Neither of them really knew what to say, after all they're two grown ass emotionally-stunted men in their thirties with LOTS of things going on in their lives. I for one would have laughed at my TV screen had they shown some emotional goodbye with hugs, professions of love and tears.

I wasn't suggesting they should. I suggested that a 'thanks, mate' would not have been inappropriate in the circumstances; even emotionally-stunted men in their thirties manage to express their thanks.

Incidentally,  I don't think there is much evidence to support the claim that both Sherlock and John are emotionally-stunted, but that's a different topic. I look forward to you starting a thread about it 

January 19, 2014 1:31 pm  #57

Yes, it would have been over the top and out of character, imo. 

January 19, 2014 1:32 pm  #58

Willow wrote:

Incidentally, I don't think there is much evidence to support the claim that both Sherlock and John are emotionally-stunted, but that's a different topic. I look forward to you starting a thread about it

Ohhh, I'll do it! :D

January 19, 2014 2:00 pm  #59

Willow wrote:

But I'm sure that Moffat does understand the implications of that scene; even if we completely ignored the pointed riposte to the statement in Sherlock's Best Man speech about John being the person who saves people's lives, if Moffat did not understand what is happening to Sherlock why should he write the scene in the way he did? Sherlock's collapse was genuinely text book stuff; it makes no sense to say that they got all of the physical aspects perfectly right but this was some sort of coincidence which happened accidentally.

So we are left with John so angered by his discovery of what Mary was that everything he had ever learned was wiped from his brain; all of his instinctive reactions, which become automatic in a doctor because they have done them thousands of times, disappear because he's throwing a massive tantrum. Which is why I originally speculated that John's personality was disintegrating; that's a more generous interpretation than many of the alternatives. I do hope that John achieves some sort of equilibrium in Season 4 because at the moment he seems a long way from being the person described in the speech of his Best Man...

Ok, you've convinced me. Sherlock was in a life threatening situation, John should have seen it and the writer did his research this time and this was his intention. John was so shocked to learn that his whole life was basically collapsing, everything he believed in was a lie, he didn't see the obvious fact that his best friend was bleeding to death before his eyes. I don't think that would have anything to do with a change in personality traits, I think it may have been caused by the temorary shock of learning that his wife was an assassin, shot his best friend, and lied about everthing. Once over the shock, his judgement would probably return to normal. Why wouldn't it? 

Actually, they might have added the bleeding to give it a bit more realism, you said that he couldn't really walk around after such a wound, maybe that's what they went for then. 

January 19, 2014 2:52 pm  #60

Willow wrote:

Walking around a couple of days after taking a bullet. Enhanced recovery and early mobilisation at its best. lol

I'm inclined to think it was liver not a lung since we haven't seen any chest drains. It would be quite possible for him to be able to walk around. Chasing round the city is a bit much though and we clealry see the consequences of it.

I have re-wayched this scene and I would say that Sherlock doesn't look that bad. Aspecially for someone who just had a major surgery and than a run around town. John has been with him from a while so a question is not only how bad he looks but also how does that differ from his new 'baseline'.  He is obviously in pain and later on his breathing start to sound rather worrying (incidently that is usually the first warning sign when things start going south). That would be a good point at which to check him over. He doesn't though becouse he is preoccupied with his own life crashing down around him. I have seen doctors make mistakes as a result of much smaller distractions.

On another note I do worry about John's mental health. A lot happens to him in this season. He may well need to see his therapist again.

Board footera