BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 18, 2014 2:10 pm  #1

Guy Fawkes Day

Excuse my ignorance of this great holiday but can someone educate me about this holiday? Apparently it's normal for people to stand around a burning scare crow in the middle of a park (minus John coz he wasn't meant to be in it). Why is everyone standing around a burning scare crow? where does this tradition come from? (yes, as you can tell, I've not been to England & obviously wasn't paying enough attention in history class, though Blackadder was very handy in teaching me some of the basics )

January 18, 2014 8:24 pm  #2

Re: Guy Fawkes Day

Ok! The traditional version of the story...Roman Catholic traitors plot to blow up the Houses of Parliament when James 1 (James VI of Scotland) is there. Large number of barrels of gunpowder discovered thanks to a letter between the conspirators being intercepted. The conspirators were caught in the act. Guy (Guido) Fawkes, their leader and the others were executed for treason (hung, drawn & quartered- a gruesome method of execution). Since then the day is 'celebrated' on November 5th. Called Bonfire Night or sometimes Guy Fawkes Night. Fireworks, bonfires. Traditionally, but actually quite rarely now, clothes are stuffed with straw or newspaper and a mask put on the figure. This is the 'Guy' which is traditionally burnt on the top of the bonfire. Children used to collect 'a penny for the Guy' and the money was usually used to buy fireworks. I did this when I was a child.

Nowadays Bonfire Night seems to go on for a couple of weeks (when I was a child it was only ever on the 5th). People sometimes have fireworks in their garden but most seem to attend organised events.

The saying/rhyme used in the episode is : Remember, remember the 5th of November. Gunpowder, treason and plot. I see no reason. Why gunpowder treason. Should ever be forgot.'

The alternative historical interpretation of this 'plot' is that it was all set up by the English secret services at the time.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

January 18, 2014 10:50 pm  #3

Oh I thought it was a reference to the problems of his son Charles I. Didn't realize the dad had some problems too.

Alas our history is not so rich. Ned Kelly would be a sort of equivalent story (in terms of sensationalism). I wonder why we don't have a Ned Kelly Day? (Lol)

January 19, 2014 4:12 pm  #4

What...when everyone can walk around wearing metal masks?

James I (Mary Queen of Scots son) so he was also James VI of Scotland. The two countries were still politically separate at this time. Roman Catholics were persecuted. All very complicated really.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

Board footera