BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 18, 2014 12:03 am  #1

Why is Anderson no longer working?

What happened? Does anyone know? Have I missed an explanation somewhere?
Why is he now a big Sherlock fan?

January 18, 2014 12:27 am  #2

Re: Why is Anderson no longer working?

The minisode "Many Happy Returns" explains this. Basically, Anderson's guilt around wrongly accusing Sherlock and having him arrested, leading to his eventual suicide, has driven him a little bit mad. He became obsessed with the idea that Sherlock wasn't actually dead, to the point that he lost his job.

Greg Lestrade listens to his theories and checks up on him from time to time, probably through some feeling of responsibility and guilt himself.

Anyway, video posted below

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

January 18, 2014 1:20 am  #3

That little mini-episode was such a sweet holiday treat.  

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

January 18, 2014 6:29 am  #4

Thank you for explaining about Anderson. I guess his wife is gone too as he seems to be alone.

January 20, 2014 8:57 pm  #5

Thank you. I didn't know there was a minisode. Are there more?

January 20, 2014 9:10 pm  #6

No, this was the only one. A Christmas present for the fans. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

February 28, 2014 10:56 am  #7

I didn't see the xmas episode but I've always found Anderson's 180 degree turn around to be a bit unbelievable/unrealistic. Donovan was just as involved with the stuff that he's guilty over and yet she hasn't gone mad. Also if the guilt caused his turn around then Sherlock's return should alleviate some of the obsession he's shown toward Sherlock during Sherlock's "death" but his obsession doesn't change. Throughout season 3 he is as dedicated to The Empty Hearse society as he was before Sherlock's return. His obsession actually seems to have intensified as he admits to stalking Sherlock in His Last Vow.

I definitely prefer the old Anderson to the changed one. Though I guess I can see some of the reasons put forward for his change are not totally unbelievable.

February 28, 2014 4:21 pm  #8

At a simplistic level, Sherlock didn't work alongside the police at all in season 3.
Lestrade's interaction with him was on a friendship level only, Donovan therefore made only the briefest of appearances and Anderson may not have had reason to feature at all if he was still in his old job.
Writing him in this way meant he still had a role in the show

"And in the end,
The Love you take
Is equal to the Love you make"
                                             The Beatles

March 1, 2014 12:14 pm  #9

I like the new Anderson and find it funny that he's now essentially become the leader of the Sherlock fandom (within the show world). Guilt affects people in very different ways and I think Donovan always disliked Sherlock more than Anderson did. She was the ring leader in doubting him and bringing it to the attention of Lestrade. Anderson just went along with it, possibly because he was sleeping with her.

You could even argue that Anderson's bitterness towards Sherlock in the first two series came from his jealousy/admiration of his amazing skills, so I think it does make sense as a character development.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

March 1, 2014 12:20 pm  #10

I also like the turn. It is a clever way to keep him in the show without repeating the pattern from series 1 and 2. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

March 1, 2014 7:27 pm  #11

I liked the new Anderson, too. All that vitriol aimed at him was initially funny, but it became tiring with time.

I also don′t think Anderson′s turn to Sherlock′s supporter was that unbelievable. It seems to me Anderson was mostly annoyed with Sherlock for professional reasons – Anderson as a forensic expert couldn′t stand Sherlock′s total disregard for regulations governing the crime scenes they were investigating. The way Sherlock danced through those crime scenes without proper protective suit, not wearing shoe-pads and sometimes even touching the crime material with bare hands, was certainly hugely annoying for a person forced to follow those rules rigorously. Still, it was not a kind of hatred able to outlast the shock caused by Sherlock′s apparent suicide.

(Anderson, a forensic expert, could also be the first person who realized Sherlock was actually innocent of the crimes he was accused of commiting. Forensics Anderson participated in did not lie – as he was retroactively investigating his old cases, he had to realize Sherlock couldn′t have messed with so much evidence.)

Donovan, on the other hand, was a different matter.

Donovan was painfully aware of Sherlock′s real abilities. The way he first deduced the existence of that pink suitcase in ASiP and then produced the said pink suitcase in no time was proof enough that he really can do what he claimed to do. He left no doubt for Donovan that he was a genius.

Why did she hate him so much, then? Calling him a “freak” and a “psychopath”?

In my opinion, Donovan′s hatred was the hatred of a mediocre person forced to acknowledge her own mediocrity. Donovan was a professional and a hard worker so it was painful for her to admit she would never be able to rise to Sherlock′s level. She ought to think it was unfair that Sherlock was born with the gift she could not top with all her effort. Moreover, Sherlock was childish, arrogant and irresponsible, as geniuses often are. Donovan had to be furious when she observed how that awful man (who was certainly “unworthy” of his gift, in her eyes) belittled her and the rest of her team.

In other words, Donovan was “Salieri” to Sherlock′s “Mozart”.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ciFTP_KRy4

Her hatred was much stronger than Anderson′s and it certainly influenced Anderson when they were intimate.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

March 1, 2014 8:41 pm  #12

My interpretation is that Anderson and Donovan both disliked Sherlock for his condescension towards the police and their work, which is, if we are honest, only funny if you are not on the receiving side. For one reason or another both were not able to look past his behaviour the way Lestrade could - old wounds perhaps, or a lack of stable self-confidence.

For me Anderson´s turn was totally believable - his reaction pattern is as simple as his intellect ​(talking about condescension.. ) . "I admire him but he talks down to me, so I hate him" and later "I was terribly wrong and can´t cope, so I obsess about it". 

We don´t know how Sgt. Donovan feels about all this - maybe she feels guilty, too. But she seems more grounded so she won´t go crazy over her mistake.

Last edited by Zatoichi (March 1, 2014 8:43 pm)

April 2, 2014 9:28 pm  #13

I partly agree with nakahara. For me, Anderson's (and Donovan's) attitude was mostly about Sherlock breaking the rules, walking through crime scenes without proper uniform and touching everything. Sherlock was never an official police cunsultant so if anything happened, the whole crew would be responsible for that: Lestrade for letting Sherlock be there and everyone else for not reporting it. I love and admire Lestrade's motivation but I understand why Anderson and Donowan weren't happy about Sherlock walking through crime scenes. 

Also, while Anderson was more like "nobody can be so clever" and tried to prove Sherlock was cheating ("somebody told you that") or his deductions were useless ("so we can read her emails, so what?"), Donovan saw in him the part represented by Moriarty. She noticed how happy he was when someone got murdered and it was freaking her out. Anderson didn't believe Sherlock's a genius and Donovan believed he's dangerous. It makes sense it was Anderson who, after many hours spent on analizing Sherlock's methods, became his greatest fan. I wish they showed us scene with Sherlock and Donovan in season 3 so they wouldn't fight and insult each other anymore.  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum videtur.

April 16, 2014 8:22 am  #14

Marta, those are insightful comments. I agree with your analysis. I can understand Sally's frustration with Holmes. She does her job well, is methodical and diligent, cares about people, and wants to make a difference. It must be galling to have Sherlock come waltzing in and insult her and her team, get away with all kinds of rule breaking and then get heaped with praise. While Anderson had a crisis of conscience and rethought his own actions, Sally had no such character arc. You can't see growth without change. It must be a thankless job for the actress who plays Sally. She has become a dead-end character who only plays one note. I like this iteration of Sherlock Holmes because the writers are giving women a real place at the table. I want a t-shirt that says "Free Sally Donovan."

Molly Hooper initially looked doomed to  similar fate, and look what a surprise her character turned out to be.

May 13, 2014 6:49 pm  #15

I think Vinette plays Sally really well, given what little she has to work with. She makes sure that her character never feels flat, Sally just seems to try to do the best thing. I never got the feeling that it was personal for her. Actually, the way she responds would be a normal response to someone like Sherlock, of course she doesn't trust him, he's a genius with an obsession for murder. Lestrade is the strange one, he's seen something in him that others haven't. 

Board footera