BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 17, 2014 7:47 pm  #1

Benedict Was Almost Afraid to Play Sherlock...

http://www.eonline.com/news/500606/why-benedict-cumberbatch-almost-turned-down-sherlock

Do you know, someone mentioned to me that BBC had their doubts about whether he should be cast...because they afraid he wasn't sexy enough?

January 17, 2014 8:32 pm  #2

Re: Benedict Was Almost Afraid to Play Sherlock...

And his mother told him he has the wrong nose. 

This bit is very interesting and we fans should keep that in mind:
".....I felt like I was being asked to join the family and have some fun. There was nothing businessy about it. And that's how to operate it."

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

January 17, 2014 9:33 pm  #3

How can anybody think Benedict would be NOT sexy or handsome? He has just some magic aura.

You’ve salted away every fact under the sun!

January 18, 2014 2:09 am  #4

I'll post the article where that was talked about.

January 18, 2014 12:22 pm  #5

zeratul wrote:

How can anybody think Benedict would be NOT sexy or handsome? He has just some magic aura.

I actually can understand this.  

Benedict is beautiful, but not in the cookie cutter slick movie star kind of way.  His looks are very distictive and even unusual in some lights.  I have no trouble believing that some television executive would look at him and at first sight go, Ummm, are we sure he's sexy enough?

They just had to see our man in action to convince them.  

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

January 18, 2014 2:23 pm  #6

Agree. He's not very sexy at all compared with George Clooney I think it's coz his face is jaggular, at odd angles. People like a smooth face but he looks like Dracula.

January 18, 2014 2:29 pm  #7

Does he? 

Honestly I think George Clooney looks boring compared to Benedict. 

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

January 18, 2014 5:18 pm  #8

I don't like smooth faces either. It was a picture from ASiB that made me think: Let's give this show a try 

(The picture that Susi has no more as her avatar  )

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

January 18, 2014 5:23 pm  #9

This is just for you, Harriet:

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 18, 2014 5:30 pm  #10

(I blocked your other new avatar as well  )

Last edited by Harriet (January 18, 2014 5:30 pm)

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

January 18, 2014 5:30 pm  #11

My pleasure. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 18, 2014 5:35 pm  #12

Your loss. 

January 18, 2014 6:21 pm  #13

tonnaree wrote:

zeratul wrote:

Benedict is beautiful, but not in the cookie cutter slick movie star kind of way.  His looks are very distictive and even unusual in some lights.  I have no trouble believing that some television executive would look at him and at first sight go, Ummm, are we sure he's sexy enough?

Well basically symmetrical faces are described as beautiful. I think Benedict's face is quite symmetrical.
Also his voice and everything he does makes him quite sexy ;).

January 18, 2014 9:58 pm  #14

If you even consider anything lacking on his outsides, what shines out from his insides makes him radiant.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

January 18, 2014 10:31 pm  #15

Well if you watch the dubbed German version, you will be save from a crush, as I have been before I watched the third in the original version...

February 7, 2014 8:53 pm  #16

SherlocklivesinOH wrote:

http://www.eonline.com/news/500606/why-benedict-cumberbatch-almost-turned-down-sherlock

Do you know, someone mentioned to me that BBC had their doubts about whether he should be cast...because they afraid he wasn't sexy enough?

Mofftiss laughingly mention it in the commentary following the Season 3 episodes (at least in the US). Then it cuts to some screaming fans outside 221B.  Cute.

For the record, I think George Clooney is superattractive, but in a more conventional way.

February 7, 2014 8:55 pm  #17

George is gorgeous, but Benedict is Sherlock Holmes.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

February 17, 2014 9:05 am  #18

As far as my husband knows benedict looks odd to me based on our viewing of season one this December. But in January when we launched into season 2 and 3 I became sherlocked.

It's his mannerisms the mystery , the impish grin ... Everythig

And I think he did get better looking in the following years.

The hair is less frizzy.

And I think the moment I really went bananas was the Molly kiss.

The hair ruffle, face grabbing with two hands...

Good lord.

How can you even form a sentence to reply when this ^^^ is in your face? 

February 21, 2014 12:07 am  #19

tonnaree wrote:

zeratul wrote:

Sooo well said, Dear One...it's his Voice that gets me...so deep & resonate...oh, the man's got "magic" alright & quite the Intense portrayal's of characters!
I am new to the artful talents of Our Mr. Cumberbatch...ya know, no one warned me of how Addictive just watching him can be!!!

"He's cluing for looks" ~ fave quote to date!
Cracks me up always!

February 21, 2014 6:42 am  #20

We all get smitten.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

Board footera