BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 17, 2014 3:21 am  #1

Hint into next series

I was shocked by the end, and will they actually make us wait 2 years and why only 3 episodes per season? I really hope I dont have to wait two years for them to have three episodes that really dont have the famed criminal to then wait another two years totalying 4 to bring him back. Hope Im living to see this too.

January 17, 2014 8:21 am  #2

Re: Hint into next series

It's all a matter of quality. 

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

January 17, 2014 9:06 am  #3

Agree.
Rather wait a bit and have finest TV than crap on a regular basis.

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

January 17, 2014 9:30 am  #4

Its not a season, but a series. But if you want a 'season' you could follow the american half-hour show model. After adverts and recaps each episode consists of roughly 21/22 minutes. So instead of 3x90 mins you would end up with a season of 12 or 13 episodes. I think most people would prefer remaining with the 90 min format.
3x90 mins is also the price we pay for having two of the most in demand actors around in the show.
And on a personal note I don't want to wait for months after the first episode airs before I can get the DVD. I like the fact that 2 days after the first episode no longer airs I can be rewatching the whole series on DVD.

January 17, 2014 3:30 pm  #5

" I think most people would prefer remaining with the 90 min format."

*raises hand*

Me!  I do!

Yes the waiting is hard and 3 episodes go fast, but it's all part of what makes Sherlock Sherlock, and I've never experianced anything quite like it.

Last edited by tonnaree (January 17, 2014 3:31 pm)

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

January 17, 2014 4:26 pm  #6

It doesn't have to be short and crappy per se. Just look at Game of Thrones, 10 episodes of 50-60 minutes each with excellent quality. I think it is a bit cheap to say that if it isn't like this, it is subconsequently bad.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The world is big enough for us, no ghosts need apply"

January 17, 2014 4:30 pm  #7

No, you are right. And 2 years waiting is really a bit too long, I would be perfectly fine with one. 

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

January 17, 2014 7:18 pm  #8

I'm perfectly happy with the format of 3 x 90 mins, but would also be happy for them to do it just a TINY bit more often. Once per year would be excellent. Having said that, don't want them to compromise on quality or rush anything. If it has to be 18 months or 2 years then so be it. I love this show to bits and wouldn't swap it for the world.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

January 17, 2014 7:57 pm  #9

I also prefer the 90 minute format, it works for Sherlock and although I would like to have a new series every year, I think it's better to wait more time and get three awesome episodes rather than waiting a year for 12 or 22 "meh" episodes. A lot of tv shows with more episodes per season use filler or have a really slow pace just because they need to reach x minutes, but in Sherlock every scene is important.

Regarding series 4, I heard BBC is already wroking on it and that we might get it by Christmas, but I don't know if it's true.

Last edited by Molly (January 17, 2014 7:58 pm)

January 17, 2014 9:54 pm  #10

I too like the three 90 minute episode format, but I agree I wish we got them yearly instead of every two years. I also understand about the availability of Freeman and Cumberbatch though.

January 17, 2014 10:02 pm  #11

I think most people would prefer Sherlock over Hobbit, though. Just get another actor to take the place of Morgan. I'm sure nobody will notice.

January 17, 2014 11:26 pm  #12

I would actually quite like it they kept the 90-minute-format but changed the intervals between the episodes. Like, have one episode every nine months or so.
But something like that would probably be impossible to realise.

--------------------------------

"Yes, of course I forgive you."

January 17, 2014 11:39 pm  #13

Swanpride wrote:

If they had stuck to the stand-alone format I would agree, but if the episodes are as connected as they were in season three - than I prefer to watch them close together.

I agree; there are so many intertwining links that it would be almost impossible to make sense of this season.

Not that I am suggesting that I have managed to make sense of the season 

January 17, 2014 11:44 pm  #14

I like the quick release as I watch them many times. Since broadcast I have them all on iplayer and only one episode is not available (for 3 days) before the DVD arrives.
I think this quick release model is the future; and a way to limit illegal downloads. The whole season of House of Cards was released in one go by Netfix; and A Field in England was broadcast on TV, shown in the cinema, and available for download and on DVD. All on the same date.

January 17, 2014 11:46 pm  #15

Well for example How I Met Your Mother has 24 episodes per season, each 20 minutes. Makes totally 480 minutes. Sherlock has 3 episodes, each not fully 90 minutes. If we take 90 minutes, it's 270 minutes then. So they could rather make 5 episodes which would make 450 minutes and still be shorter...

You’ve salted away every fact under the sun!

January 18, 2014 8:33 am  #16

The 3x90min set up will remain.
We may get the occasional treat like the minisode, but I suspect only if we have to wait 2 years.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 19, 2014 11:56 am  #17

But why is everyone convinced it will be 2 years?

they will start shooting again in april. Mark my words.

January 19, 2014 12:16 pm  #18

They've said they'll try for as soon as they can, depending on the boys' schedules.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 19, 2014 12:29 pm  #19

And Martin is free in the spring. So we're only waiting for Ben. hehe

January 19, 2014 12:36 pm  #20

He's never free, but here's hoping...

Board footera