BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 16, 2014 10:24 pm  #1

John: Is everyone I've ever met, a psychopath?

Sherlock: Yes. You like that kind of lifestyle. What did you expect?

Can't help thinking that was not just directed at John. It was also directed at us fans as well.

Audience: Plot is getting ridiculous.
Sherlock: Yeah but you like it. Why would you expect anything different?

January 16, 2014 10:56 pm  #2

Re: John: Is everyone I've ever met, a psychopath?

I never expected "Sherlock" to be realistic from the start.

I wouldn't start expecting it now.

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.
Bigby: Wait, that doesn’t make se-
Coline: Just give me a drink, please.

January 16, 2014 11:10 pm  #3

sj4iy wrote:

Yeah, but isn't the point how rational we all are in the age of general higher education and instant access to knowledge, and yet seem so desperate for uber-humans / heroes to be true?

Isn't exactky that what this fandom is about? The desire for a hyperreal Sherlock?

January 17, 2014 12:17 am  #4

The Doctor wrote:

sj4iy wrote:

Yeah, but isn't the point how rational we all are in the age of general higher education and instant access to knowledge, and yet seem so desperate for uber-humans / heroes to be true?

Isn't exactky that what this fandom is about? The desire for a hyperreal Sherlock?

It's the difference between what we want & what we need. Same as what Sherlock was trying to say to John when John protested that he didn't want Mary to be a psychopath.

As a consumer, I want my Sherlock episodes to make sense (they don't always) but as a fan of the series, I don't really care. As long as there's some form of character whomping going on in the episode, I'm happy.

I want a plot with a logical but I need for there to be drama & hyperdanger. The writers get it. I didn't for a time.

January 17, 2014 1:50 am  #5

saturnR wrote:

It's the difference between what we want & what we need.

Indeed!

January 17, 2014 1:57 am  #6

Sherlock started out as credible....it should stay mostly that way...and did until...
Last episode which  did get a little bit the incredibles..hopefully they will pull it back in a bit.

Yes we want super Sherlock...but super Mycroft..super Mary..super villains...how many supers in one show can you have.

Last edited by lil (January 17, 2014 2:03 am)

January 17, 2014 9:21 am  #7

For me credibility haven't been an question since the Chinese circus assasins. If we can accept that bit of complete nonsense then I don't think we can complain too much about the rest.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Is it nice not being me? It must be so relaxing.

An apostrophe makes the difference between a business that knows its shit, and a business that knows it's shit.

January 17, 2014 9:47 am  #8

As Gatiss said he likes to think that somewhere in government we do have a Mycroft keeping us safe. 

Although a Mycroft, Sherlock and super villian is enough intelligence in the room for me.

February 8, 2014 2:55 am  #9

I was wondering in that scene why John was shouting AT Sherlock, instead of ripping Mary apart, figuratively or even literally. I always thought John (well, any Watson) had a "hurt Sherlock Holmes and you die" policy.

But I would agree with the premise: there are too many...well, we're throwing the word psychopath around kind of casually...but too many people who have these murderous and violent tendencies (and frankly I'm beginning to think Mycroft is the worst of all.)

February 8, 2014 6:19 am  #10

SherlocklivesinOH wrote:

I was wondering in that scene why John was shouting AT Sherlock, instead of ripping Mary apart, figuratively or even literally. I always thought John (well, any Watson) had a "hurt Sherlock Holmes and you die" policy

Easier to yell at your best friend than your pregnant wife also in terms of love hurts & we tend to treat strangers better than we treat family so whoever John treats the worst is the person he loves more. It's twisted but that's my interpretation of it.

February 8, 2014 3:03 pm  #11

SherlocklivesinOH wrote:

I was wondering in that scene why John was shouting AT Sherlock, instead of ripping Mary apart, figuratively or even literally. I always thought John (well, any Watson) had a "hurt Sherlock Holmes and you die" policy.

But I would agree with the premise: there are too many...well, we're throwing the word psychopath around kind of casually...but too many people who have these murderous and violent tendencies (and frankly I'm beginning to think Mycroft is the worst of all.)

I agree that the Baker St scene is one which makes me profoundly uneasy about John, and it is his use of 'psychopath' which colours the rest.

On the other hand, Mycroft has never behaved in a way which suggests that he is murderous or violent. Consider, for example, the plane full of dead passengers in ASIB; a murderous or violent Mycroft could have simply let a plane full of live passengers go down in order to protect the fact that they had broken the code.

He didn't.

February 8, 2014 3:20 pm  #12

Interesting that this is the only time when Sherlock doesn't autocorrect with the "high functioning sociopath" line.
He just let John take out his frustration and anger on him.

"And in the end,
The Love you take
Is equal to the Love you make"
                                             The Beatles

February 8, 2014 3:52 pm  #13

Tinks wrote:

Interesting that this is the only time when Sherlock doesn't autocorrect with the "high functioning sociopath" line.

He was trying not to die at the time; trust me on this one, you really do have to concentrate 

February 8, 2014 6:09 pm  #14

Willow wrote:

Tinks wrote:

He was trying not to die at the time; trust me on this one, you really do have to concentrate

That was an interesting bit, though-- I mean, maybe it was just pain-- but Sherlock seemed... solititous of John's pain. Hmmmmn....

February 8, 2014 6:18 pm  #15

RavenMorganLeigh wrote:

Willow wrote:

Tinks wrote:

That was an interesting bit, though-- I mean, maybe it was just pain-- but Sherlock seemed... solititous of John's pain. Hmmmmn....

I think Benedict did a great piece of acting; if you go back and watch the scene solely looking at him he really did convey the fact that he was hanging on by a very thin thread, and that he knew perfectly well that he was hanging on by a very thin thread. It augurs well for his Hamlet...

February 8, 2014 6:25 pm  #16

Tinks wrote:

Because he sees John.

*******************************************************************************************************************
I haven't disappeared completely, I've just been busy writing

February 8, 2014 7:13 pm  #17

"Mary, when I say you deserve [John] it is the highest compliment of which I am capable."

In hindsight...ouch!

The use of flashbacks and jumping around in time in this series makes it hard to follow...but I do remember Sherlock starting to collapse during the "psychopath" conversation...he was having some "setback" from his injuries?

I assume he was taken back to the hospital but I don't remember any scenes where he was there because it jumped to later, at Christmas.

February 8, 2014 7:19 pm  #18

We do not see him at the hospital after being admitted for the second time. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

February 8, 2014 8:16 pm  #19

You could almost read the "you deserve this man" line now as Sherlock knowing exactly who or what Mary is and for that very reason considering her just what John needs...and possibly also forseeing her future usefulness in their adventures...but without predicting that she would end up turning on him (Sherlock), of course.

February 8, 2014 8:18 pm  #20

SusiGo wrote:

We do not see him at the hospital after being admitted for the second time. 

During that time period we see him with CAM in a local cafe which Sherlock has nominated as the de facto hospital canteen...

Board footera