BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 3, 2014 7:10 pm  #101

Re: A.G.R.A

Willow wrote:

Swanpride wrote:

If Mycroft really were all-knowing and all-powerful, Sherlock wouldn't be in danger all the time. He would monitor his website and knew that Sherlock send Moriarty a message to meet him at the pool, for example.

I'm not suggesting that Mycroft is all knowing and all-powerful; he isn't God. He has excellent information sources, and a lot of agents at his disposal; he is also working at least 12 hours a day, every day of the week, because people that high up the chain do work those sorts of hours since they really do have massive amounts of work to get through. As I've previously suggested, albeit tongue in cheek, his pA might be a suspect for shooting Sherlock because he keeps messing up Mycroft's schedule.

Mycroft must be a difficult character to write, how much can he realistically know or not know while his function doesn't actually exist? And who really knows what intelligence services are up to anyway? It's not like the Moftiss can ring them up for some research or something. I just want to give him limitations, avoid the deus ex machina thing etc. There must be some kind of in-universe logic that he's limited by. Not just the 'too busy with more important things', there must be things even Mycroft cannot do. 

February 3, 2014 11:04 pm  #102

silverblaze wrote:

Willow wrote:

Swanpride wrote:

If Mycroft really were all-knowing and all-powerful, Sherlock wouldn't be in danger all the time. He would monitor his website and knew that Sherlock send Moriarty a message to meet him at the pool, for example.

I'm not suggesting that Mycroft is all knowing and all-powerful; he isn't God. He has excellent information sources, and a lot of agents at his disposal; he is also working at least 12 hours a day, every day of the week, because people that high up the chain do work those sorts of hours since they really do have massive amounts of work to get through. As I've previously suggested, albeit tongue in cheek, his pA might be a suspect for shooting Sherlock because he keeps messing up Mycroft's schedule.

Mycroft must be a difficult character to write, how much can he realistically know or not know while his function doesn't actually exist? And who really knows what intelligence services are up to anyway? It's not like the Moftiss can ring them up for some research or something. I just want to give him limitations, avoid the deus ex machina thing etc. There must be some kind of in-universe logic that he's limited by. Not just the 'too busy with more important things', there must be things even Mycroft cannot do. 

Well, nowadays they have open recruitment processes for spies which probably helps a bit with the research process, but much of what Mycroft does is understandable in the context of the senior Civil Service in this country; they have imagined a grade above Cabinet Secretary - in reality the Cabinet Secretary is the single most senior Civil Servant in this country - so let call him CS+1.  They can make reasonable guesses about the resources available to their imaginary CS+1, and the limitations; I appreciate the fact that Moftiss do obviously think about the limitations when they are writing, which is why, even if he wanted to, Mycroft doesn't just vanish people.

By this point you may have deduced that I used to be a Civil Servant myself, and I used to have an investigative role, though I hasten to add that I was most definitely not a spy. I don't regard Sherlock, or anyone else for that matter, breaking an identity as in any way magical because all investigators do the same thing; they go looking for facts. Sadly I did not possess Sherlock Holmes ability to learn vast numbers of things just by looking at people, but once you have established the facts then everything tends to slot into place; of course, finding the facts can be tricky but there are some immutable facts of life, many of which centre on money. For me, a part time nurse living in an expensive part of the country with no other apparent source of income is a red flag jumping up and down and screaming 'look at me', which is why, even without Sherlock's warning signs which he ignored,  I was not exactly surprised to discover that Mary wasn't the sweet, loveable person devoting her life to the frail and infirm which she appeared to be on the surface.

So, Mycroft has limitations and he doesn't do magic either. Quite a lot of the criticisms of his character are because people seem to think he can do magic, and complain when he doesn't, and a few more are because people don't distinguish between him and the ruler of a totalitarian state. This of course leaves plenty of room for his genuine faults, and Mycroft undoubtedly has plenty of those; I look forward to many happy hours discussing them

February 4, 2014 11:57 am  #103

Willow wrote:

Actually, Sherlock walks into the trap because Sherlock's ego is the size of a small planet; there is nothing that Mycroft could have done or said that would have changed it. Mycroft was gravely at fault, as he admits, because he set Sherlock running in the first place; he should never have asked for his help. It is difficult to see what he could have said to Sherlock about Irene Adler that would have changed the way that Sherlock acted. People keep saying that if Mycroft had just talked to Sherlock everything would have been different, but they never specify what it is which would have made a difference.

Sherlock's ego may be the thing that makes him walk into the trap, but that's because he is given no reason to set it aside. In both TRF and HLV Sherlock takes several blows to his ego, particularly in the first of these, yet does nothing to stop it because it is for a "greater" purpose. Heck even in TSoT Sherlock is willing to tell about a failed case, something he has otherwise not been willing to allow, because it is one that makes John look good.
But when Mycroft tells him to stand down in SiB he's basically behaving as if he's calling off a dog. I don't really have that big an ego but if anyone ever behaved towards me like that, it wouldn't encourage me to behave. Would Mycroft behaving differently have changed the way things played out? Maybe, maybe not, we can never know that but basically Mycroft is behaving like an arrogant twat.

Willow wrote:

As for the England thing I think you need to bear in mind that there is a difference between the stereotypical John Bull and the real deal; one can agree that patriotism is the last refuge of scoundrels whilst simultaneously being prepared to die in the service of your country. That is, after all, what Sherlock agreed to do; is it so difficult to believe that Sherlock would murder in the service of his country? I'm fairly sure that Sherlock regarded CAM as a global threat to a genuinely free society; that is what he says to John at the beginning, and I think he meant it.

I would say that the ending of ASiP and TGG indicates that he is the opposite of a patriot.
And yes I find it quite incredulous to believe that Sherlock would murder for a shared delusion about common past or culture, which is basically what a country is. Besides when he spouts all that about how dangerous Magnussen is to Britain and the world he is talking to John and still tryihng to recruit him, he is using the arguments he think is most likely to persuade John to come along. And John is a patriot.
Personally I believe that what he says to Mycroft during their smoking break is closer to the truth, there's no need to try and deceive Mycroft, who is likely to see straight through him anyway. He hates CAM because steps on people Sherlock identifies with, the different. He repels him the same way Kitty Riley did, there was just never any reason to shoot her. That is, I believe, another difference between the brothers, Mycroft operates on national and international levels, Sherlock operates on a personal one.

Willow wrote:

I do agree entirely that Sherlock loves his brother, and disagree that Mycroft is always dispassionate; he seemed to be quite proactive in the helicopter shouting that they mustn't shoot his brother. But for Sherlock his brother does in some way embody his country; Mycroft in turn plays the game in responding to Sherlock's 'who needs me this time?' with the single word 'England'.

Bad example. For all we know Mycroft's merely worried about what Mummy will do if she ever learns that her little boy got shot and Mycroft did nothing. Also Mycroft seems supremely disinterested in whether or not John gets shot.
As for the 'who needs me this time', 'England' I see it more as a running joke between them, that Mycroft is the one who runs the country and does not necessarily translate into how Sherlock feels about Britain.
As an aside I would like to point out that Mycroft apparently gives sod all about Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland.

Willow wrote:

Both brothers recognise, however, that murder is murder; Sherlock acts when he realises that CAM really can 'destroy the lives of everyone he loves and everything he holds dear'. But he never claims that it is not murder, and he never tries to weasel out of the consequences. Nor does Mycroft...

Sherlock seems to recognise the fact, Mycroft on the other hand appears to be manoeuvring to get Sherlock off. He knows that he isn't going to get Sherlock off completely here and now, so he manipulates to send him on the “suicide” mission. I also think he fully intends to get Sherlock back before the mission proves fatal. As he says: “Will there ever come a time where we will not need Sherlock Holmes?” i.e. we can't afford to take actions that would leave us bereft of his talents permanently.

One more thing, am I the only one who's noticed that the treason charge has gone poof? Does this mean that the computer Sherlock brought Magnussen didn't contain state secrets?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Is it nice not being me? It must be so relaxing.

An apostrophe makes the difference between a business that knows its shit, and a business that knows it's shit.

February 4, 2014 12:27 pm  #104

Ormond Sacked wrote:
Bad example. For all we know Mycroft's merely worried about what Mummy will do if she ever learns that her little boy got shot and Mycroft did nothing. Also Mycroft seems supremely disinterested in whether or not John gets shot.
As for the 'who needs me this time', 'England' I see it more as a running joke between them, that Mycroft is the one who runs the country and does not necessarily translate into how Sherlock feels about Britain.
As an aside I would like to point out that Mycroft apparently gives sod all about Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland.
*******************************************************************************************************************************

I absolutely believe that moment in the Helicopter was the closest we've ever seen Mycroft come to showing panic/distress  - I think Mark Gatiss should have the credit he deserves for that small moment because it was a brilliant portrayal of his icy mask slipping when he thought his little Brother would be shot.
John wasn't in danger at that point - Sherlock had moved completely away from him and the guns were trained solely on him.
Motivation? Mycroft's is primarily to his job and his country, Sherlock, as much he likes to claim he loves the puzzle, is very often motivated by personal feelings.
Sometimes they overlap - in the CAM case, it seemed Mycroft DID want to go after him in the end and I'm inclined to think that this might in some way be due to information he's received from Lady Smallwood(?) - I was interested in his getting her agreement to Sherlock being sent away at the end - something pre arranged between them?...I don't believe at this stage that he knows much, if anything about Mary.
And he also indulges Sherlock at times, too - there was nothing to benefit him in the Baskerville case, yet he arranged for Sherlock to be admitted to the Army base to snoop around.
Really, if the writers are truly sticking to canon, then the Brothers' relationship will become warmer over time, and Sherlock a little more patriotic perhaps....need to reread some stories because I always had a sense of Holmes being on the side of what was right and good, too  - not a cold person.

Last edited by Tinks (February 4, 2014 12:29 pm)

"And in the end,
The Love you take
Is equal to the Love you make"
                                             The Beatles

February 4, 2014 1:58 pm  #105

Willow wrote:

By this point you may have deduced that I used to be a Civil Servant myself, and I used to have an investigative role, though I hasten to add that I was most definitely not a spy.

I was wondering about that, thought it impolite to ask. But I was confused, you have a medical background too, and you're a mother and a costume designer. How many lives do you have, are you actually a cat? 
(So if your background is somehow related to forensics, can you still watch procedurals without the need to throw something at the television?) 

Willow wrote:

For me, a part time nurse living in an expensive part of the country with no other apparent source of income is a red flag jumping up and down and screaming 'look at me', which is why, even without Sherlock's warning signs which he ignored, I was not exactly surprised to discover that Mary wasn't the sweet, loveable person devoting her life to the frail and infirm which she appeared to be on the surface.

Me neither but that's because I know Moftiss and I know the Milverton plot. Not exactly hard to work out who would be shooting Magnussen here. I do wonder about the nurse thing, I know how expensive London is but surely London needs nurses and they have to live somewhere. Suburbs seems a logical place. And they probably split the costs for the rent. You really think it's impossible?

Willow wrote:

So, Mycroft has limitations and he doesn't do magic either. Quite a lot of the criticisms of his character are because people seem to think he can do magic, and complain when he doesn't, and a few more are because people don't distinguish between him and the ruler of a totalitarian state. This of course leaves plenty of room for his genuine faults, and Mycroft undoubtedly has plenty of those; I look forward to many happy hours discussing them

You might have worked out by now that I absolutely adore Mycroft (faults included) and I hate it if people attribute too much power to him. In my view, that really takes away from the character. I don't really thing that Moftiss would be stupid enough to make him into a deus ex machina, they're no hacks in that way, but I think people are used to characters that are like that and expect Mycroft to be the same. However, I think Mycroft may have to pay a price at some point for all his bureaucratic ballet. 

February 4, 2014 2:05 pm  #106

I don't think patriotism is the right word for that type of sentiment. If your country is about to be taken over by some psychopath businessman it's not love for the queen that's gonna make you annoyed by this. The collapse of democracy in the place where you're born and grown up, the danger to the millions of people who live there, sense of responsibility might come in at that point. 

What would you do if you had a gun and you met a guy like Bin Laden? Just say hi, great to meet a celebrity, how's the hyjacking business been to you so far? 

February 4, 2014 5:19 pm  #107

A.  Would never own a gun.
B.  Would never been anywhere to bump into Bin Laden
C.  Isn't he dead?!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

February 4, 2014 7:20 pm  #108

silverblaze wrote:

I don't think patriotism is the right word for that type of sentiment. If your country is about to be taken over by some psychopath businessman it's not love for the queen that's gonna make you annoyed by this. The collapse of democracy in the place where you're born and grown up, the danger to the millions of people who live there, sense of responsibility might come in at that point. 

Concidering that this has already happened in the real world and no one has been shot yet on that account, apparently not. Only it wasn't just one psychopath business man, it was a murder of them.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

An apostrophe makes the difference between a business that knows its shit, and a business that knows it's shit.

February 4, 2014 7:32 pm  #109

(Democracy and Queen in the same sentence?!)...sorry, I'll get my coat!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

February 5, 2014 12:37 am  #110

silverblaze wrote:

What would you do if you had a gun and you met a guy like Bin Laden? Just say hi, great to meet a celebrity, how's the hyjacking business been to you so far? 

That is insanity in action.
Lets take up guns against all people that yes are vile and have horrendous manners but threaten nothing but to speak/tell truths we dislike and call them Bin Laden and shoot them dead.
Surely democracy and justice and the law can be left in this good judgment and thus the truth of things be buried in the fire then?

February 5, 2014 2:27 am  #111

Swanpride wrote:

Magnusson was not about truths - he was about reinventing the facts to his own means. Like he did with the husband of Lady Smallwood, who was apparently innocent, but he nevertheless used what he had to destroy him. (It's, btw, an interesting parallel to Mycroft threatening Anderson and company to put questionable pictures on their PC if they dare to repeat what they happened to overhear).

Yes he was. True. So what? Death for free speach?
That primative idea that might is right? ( king Georges speach, world war II)

Is that not a shoot the messenger argument...and forget the message.

Understanding a murder and accepting the circumstances and the consequences is different from condoning it and promoting it as acceptable.

February 5, 2014 2:57 am  #112

Silverblaze wrote:

I was wondering about that, thought it impolite to ask. But I was confused, you have a medical background too, and you're a mother and a costume designer. How many lives do you have, are you actually a cat?
(So if your background is somehow related to forensics, can you still watch procedurals without the need to throw something at the television?)

The medical background is because I am a walking disaster area, health wise; I long ago lost count of the hospitals I've been in, and haven't a clue how many times. My doctors love me because they never have a clue as to what's going to happen next, so it's never boring, and also, I'm still alive, contrary to all expectations, and doctors tend to have a bit of a soft spot for people they've repeatedly kept alive against all odds.

My daughter is a hospital doctor, a Medical Registrar in fact, and I am sure she would like me to point out that this week is the International Be Nice to Your Medical Registrar week. She tells me that when she walks into a hospital she relaxes and feels at home; her theory is that she spent so much time in her childhood visiting me in a variety of hospitals that in the end it felt like home to her. She occasionally changes her mind, viz when asked to don a fireman's helmet and clamber over wreckage, in search of live people, but she adores the job.

I read Combined Honours in Drama and Theatre Arts and Sociology, which is where the costume thing came from along with the maths; statistics needs maths, and my University was big on maths. So forensics are entirely safe from me; I was recruited into the Civil Service and spent the first five years training to pass exams, because they threw you out if you failed them, and another two years getting up to speed on how to manage people. Balance sheets are easy but people are hard

Silverblaze wrote:

Me neither but that's because I know Moftiss and I know the Milverton plot. Not exactly hard to work out who would be shooting Magnussen here. I do wonder about the nurse thing, I know how expensive London is but surely London needs nurses and they have to live somewhere. Suburbs seems a logical place. And they probably split the costs for the rent. You really think it's impossible?

Yes. Full time NHS nurses have access to cheap housing and subsidised canteens because the hospitals couldn't run without them; that does not apply to part time nurses in a gp's clinic. Oddly enough I mentioned this to a former colleague today, and he fell about laughing; he felt that I should have described it as a fluorescent red flag with strobe lighting on it.

Silverblaze wrote:

You might have worked out by now that I absolutely adore Mycroft (faults included) and I hate it if people attribute too much power to him. In my view, that really takes away from the character. I don't really thing that Moftiss would be stupid enough to make him into a deus ex machina, they're no hacks in that way, but I think people are used to characters that are like that and expect Mycroft to be the same. However, I think Mycroft may have to pay a price at some point for all his bureaucratic ballet.

Oh yes, of course you like Mycroft; you have excellent taste. And yes: Mycroft walks the high wire, and at least some of the things he does will come back to bite him, but Moftiss write him as a believable character. CS +1 could do the things which Mycroft does; he couldn't do the things some people want him to do precisely because he is CS+1.

I have a nasty suspicion that my attempted quotes won't work, but if I stick with it for another few years I may achieve your lofty heights

Last edited by Wholocked (February 5, 2014 5:23 am)

February 5, 2014 2:58 am  #113

And I was right! My attempted quotes didn't work

Edit: I fixed them for you Wholocked

Last edited by Wholocked (February 5, 2014 5:23 am)

February 5, 2014 3:26 am  #114

besleybean wrote:

(Democracy and Queen in the same sentence?!)...sorry, I'll get my coat!

We have had a constitutional monarchy for quite a while now; I personally see no inherent problem with a democracy possessing a constitutional monarchy, and some advantages. For example, Civil Servants serve the Crown; they don't serve the party political government in power at the time. I regard the importation from the US of non-Civil Service political advisors, with no requirement to provide impartial advice, to be profoundly dangerous, but then most of the US political imports have been precisely that.   

February 5, 2014 4:02 am  #115

Ormond Sacker wrote:

Willow wrote:

Actually, Sherlock walks into the trap because Sherlock's ego is the size of a small planet; there is nothing that Mycroft could have done or said that would have changed it. Mycroft was gravely at fault, as he admits, because he set Sherlock running in the first place; he should never have asked for his help. It is difficult to see what he could have said to Sherlock about Irene Adler that would have changed the way that Sherlock acted. People keep saying that if Mycroft had just talked to Sherlock everything would have been different, but they never specify what it is which would have made a difference.

Sherlock's ego may be the thing that makes him walk into the trap, but that's because he is given no reason to set it aside. In both TRF and HLV Sherlock takes several blows to his ego, particularly in the first of these, yet does nothing to stop it because it is for a "greater" purpose. Heck even in TSoT Sherlock is willing to tell about a failed case, something he has otherwise not been willing to allow, because it is one that makes John look good.
But when Mycroft tells him to stand down in SiB he's basically behaving as if he's calling off a dog. I don't really have that big an ego but if anyone ever behaved towards me like that, it wouldn't encourage me to behave. Would Mycroft behaving differently have changed the way things played out? Maybe, maybe not, we can never know that but basically Mycroft is behaving like an arrogant twat.

Willow wrote:

As for the England thing I think you need to bear in mind that there is a difference between the stereotypical John Bull and the real deal; one can agree that patriotism is the last refuge of scoundrels whilst simultaneously being prepared to die in the service of your country. That is, after all, what Sherlock agreed to do; is it so difficult to believe that Sherlock would murder in the service of his country? I'm fairly sure that Sherlock regarded CAM as a global threat to a genuinely free society; that is what he says to John at the beginning, and I think he meant it.

I would say that the ending of ASiP and TGG indicates that he is the opposite of a patriot.
And yes I find it quite incredulous to believe that Sherlock would murder for a shared delusion about common past or culture, which is basically what a country is. Besides when he spouts all that about how dangerous Magnussen is to Britain and the world he is talking to John and still tryihng to recruit him, he is using the arguments he think is most likely to persuade John to come along. And John is a patriot.
Personally I believe that what he says to Mycroft during their smoking break is closer to the truth, there's no need to try and deceive Mycroft, who is likely to see straight through him anyway. He hates CAM because steps on people Sherlock identifies with, the different. He repels him the same way Kitty Riley did, there was just never any reason to shoot her. That is, I believe, another difference between the brothers, Mycroft operates on national and international levels, Sherlock operates on a personal one.

Willow wrote:

I do agree entirely that Sherlock loves his brother, and disagree that Mycroft is always dispassionate; he seemed to be quite proactive in the helicopter shouting that they mustn't shoot his brother. But for Sherlock his brother does in some way embody his country; Mycroft in turn plays the game in responding to Sherlock's 'who needs me this time?' with the single word 'England'.

Willow wrote:

Both brothers recognise, however, that murder is murder; Sherlock acts when he realises that CAM really can 'destroy the lives of everyone he loves and everything he holds dear'. But he never claims that it is not murder, and he never tries to weasel out of the consequences. Nor does Mycroft...

Sherlock seems to recognise the fact, Mycroft on the other hand appears to be manoeuvring to get Sherlock off. He knows that he isn't going to get Sherlock off completely here and now, so he manipulates to send him on the “suicide” mission. I also think he fully intends to get Sherlock back before the mission proves fatal. As he says: “Will there ever come a time where we will not need Sherlock Holmes?” i.e. we can't afford to take actions that would leave us bereft of his talents permanently.

One more thing, am I the only one who's noticed that the treason charge has gone poof? Does this mean that the computer Sherlock brought Magnussen didn't contain state secrets?

Well, it's 3.33am so I will respond in full tomorrow. I will say one thing: you are riding a hobby horse as opposed to considering evidence and developing a hypothesis based on that evidence. Your beliefs about what a country is, or, to be more precise, what a country is not, is totally irrelevant to what Sherlock thinks a country is; your conviction that Sherlock must agree with your beliefs, notwithstanding the fact that you have no evidence to substantiate that belief, is a rather twisted attempt to argue from an authority which does not, in fact, exist.

I commend to you Logic 101; give it a whirl and you may understand why neither Sherlock, nor I, would pay much attention to someone who thinks that an emotional conviction = fact.

February 5, 2014 6:51 am  #116

Love that last line!

February 5, 2014 8:51 am  #117

Fair enough. My point was more that patriotism is not the same as feeling responsible for the fate of the people that you share a country with. 

February 5, 2014 5:05 pm  #118

silverblaze wrote:

Fair enough. My point was more that patriotism is not the same as feeling responsible for the fate of the people that you share a country with. 

And that is a very reasonable point!

February 5, 2014 7:19 pm  #119

@Willow. Could you please explain what you think, or rather what you think that Sherlock think a country is? Since you keep saying he is a patriot and that he loves his country you obivously know.

February 5, 2014 7:36 pm  #120

I don't really think of him as a patriot...I think he loves what he knows, but he just does what he thinks is right.

Board footera