BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 18, 2014 6:18 pm  #41

Re: Some thoughts about Sherlock and Mary

Mouse wrote:

Swanpride wrote:

The best character to kill is actually one which is beloved by audience, but wouldn't be missed nevertheless. Since they love to crush our souls, it would have made much more sense to make Mary as beloved as possible. But this would also have been the predictable route.

Whatever eventually happens to Mary, I am sure they will somehow manage to make it unexpected.

That's what I thought, too...wouldn't it make more sense for us not to be conflicted about her if they were going to kill her off so they could crush us? But maybe that's what the baby is for.

But there are rules about what you do with the stars of the show and what you do with the lesser lights; you reserve the huge emotional charge for the stars. There are marvellous ensemble actors in Sherlock- it's one of its great strengths- but push comes to shove they don't get to dominate. The scenes have to be very finely balanced, and they managed to walk the high wire in HLV very well indeed, but in the end it comes down to Sherlock and John against the bad guys.

If you move the writing away from that then you have a much less attractive script, in professional terms, for the two stars. Benedict and Martin are hugely in demand, and they do have agents; allowing Season 4 to be all about Mary is not a good plan, looking at it from the perspective of working actors trying to maximise their career potential.

Ideally, Sherlock's plane will turn out to have been sabotaged so that it crashes as it attempts to land, with Mary being blown up in the ensuing explosion, so it will be all over in the first minute of Episode 1, but they may drag it out a bit 

January 18, 2014 7:08 pm  #42

Willow wrote:

Ideally, Sherlock's plane will turn out to have been sabotaged so that it crashes as it attempts to land, with Mary being blown up in the ensuing explosion, so it will be all over in the first minute of Episode 1, but they may drag it out a bit

Oh, that's clever, that'd kill Sherlock too! 

People, may I just point out that ya'all are a bit too keen to see her die? 

Other, less obvious, storylines are possible. I don't think she'll be there forever, but you seem to think that she'd be either a lead or dead while in canon she's much more a supporting character. Who says Moftiss won't do that? Honestly, if they don't kill her they'll find a way to make it interesting with her. 

January 18, 2014 7:12 pm  #43

Or at least acceptable.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 18, 2014 9:22 pm  #44

As if that's gonna happen. 

There are many different opinions here so I could be totally wrong, but I think Moftiss tried to make her cool and likable, morally grey, but ultimately a good person. Not everyone agree, I don't know how well they pulled it off, maybe the plotting could have been a bit more watertight, but I think that's their vision for her. Her storyline will be in line with that vision, whether you like it or not, and whether you want to suspend disbelief or not. 

Personally I'm not sure whether the plotting of her actions is really the issue. There are plenty of unlikely things that happen in the series but people seem to have a lot more problems when it concerns her. Even before s3 aired, people were sceptical about her. Some people see her as a threat and grab every opportunity to hate her.

But then again, maybe the plot could have been better, whatever, Moftiss aren't perfect. I still enjoy it enough to forgive them their mistakes.

January 18, 2014 10:07 pm  #45

I didn't have any problems with Mary at all until she shot Sherlock, but now I'm still having difficulties reconciling that and why he came to the conclusion that she gave him a non-fatal shot. Sure, she called the ambulance for him before John did but HE DIED. He actually died and had to crawl his way back to life for the sake of John Watson. So, considering she's supposed to be this crack shot, she did pretty damn badly. What made him think he didn't intend to kill her? Why would John get the blame for it? Who in the entire world would think that John had shot Sherlock? I'm confused...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

January 18, 2014 10:10 pm  #46

Because he would have been the only one there alive and conscious!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 18, 2014 10:12 pm  #47

besleybean wrote:

Because he would have been the only one there alive and conscious!

Where's the weapon? Where's the gun? There wouldn't have been any proof. Even if John did have his gun with him, no shots would have been fired from it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

January 18, 2014 10:14 pm  #48

I know, but maybe Mary panicked...he still would have had to explain why he was there!

January 18, 2014 10:14 pm  #49

Yes, that is a tricky thing. 
Let us assume she would have shot both CAM and Sherlock and escaped. Then John would have been the only conscious person in the office and might have become a suspect. 
I think Sherlock deduced she did not want to kill him because she chose to shoot him in the chest and not in the head which would have meant his sure death. This is not entirely logical but all we get for an explanation. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 18, 2014 10:15 pm  #50

That's how I saw it.

January 18, 2014 10:26 pm  #51

Yeah OK, so, she didn't kill CAM or Sherlock because she knew John was in the building and didn't want him to become a suspect - the only conscious person. It was a split second decision and she probably didn't consider things like ballistics reports, forensics etc. I'm sure that if this had happened - if CAM and Sherlock had both been killed, John would have been vindicated eventually but it's true that he may have been a suspect in the beginning.

So, split second decision - shoot Sherlock, knock out Magnussen. Why didn't she deliver the non-fatal shot to Sherlock and still blow Magnussen's head off? Why did she only knock out Magnussen, essentially giving up what she came there to do? If she knew Sherlock would be alive to vindicate John from responsibility, then it wouldn't have mattered if she'd killed Magnussen.

January 18, 2014 10:29 pm  #52

Possibly she also didn't want Sherlock to be implicated...they still had to explain why they were there!

January 18, 2014 10:36 pm  #53

besleybean wrote:

Possibly she also didn't want Sherlock to be implicated...they still had to explain why they were there!

Well, Sherlock had a diamond engagement ring in his pocket and a receipt from Hatton Garden; he was there to propose to Janine 

For the benefit of non-Londoners Hatton Garden is the main jewellery centre here, hence Sherlock asking the cab driver to take him there.

January 18, 2014 10:39 pm  #54

Other possibilities for the shooting/ambulance thing include

- Mary didn't shoot Magnussen because she thought there was hard copy somewhere that might get found in the course of a murder investigation (the secret service would be all over Magnussen's effects, given a chance).  Her initial intent had been to torture him until he handed it over.  Unlikely IMO - I prefer the protect John line here.

- accepting Mary as a highly skilled assassin she had to know there was a fair chance of Sherlock dying.  Maybe she didn't go for a 'kill immediately' shot because she wanted John to be distracted trying to save Sherlock and thus give Mary time to get clear.

- It's possible that Mary didn't call the ambulance.  That could have been done by Magnussen (we only saw the pistol whip in Sherlock's recap, Magnussen might have been conscious), to preserve his line to Mycroft.  Perhaps the ambulance station is just alot closer to Magnussen's office, or Magnussen has done something to ensure a rapid response to his office, in case he ever needs it (massive donation if he's a smart as they say).

January 18, 2014 10:43 pm  #55

Swanpride wrote:

And because she called the ambulance (how he knows how fast the ambulance was there is anyones guess, but perhaps he asked John when he woke up). Let's not kid ourselves, Mary was ready to do whatever necessary to protect John and she wrongly belived that this included hiding the truth from him - but if there is one person on earth who would understand the concept of doing whatever necessary to protect John, it is Sherlock.

Yes and no; Sherlock would not have killed indiscriminately whereas Mary would. Sherlock was prepared to take the consequences of his actions but I really don't think that applies to Mary; she would and could justify anything as being for John. And she could not carry on 'protecting' John from a prison cell or on a dodgy mission to Eastern Europe, so she would always evade responsibility...

January 18, 2014 10:43 pm  #56

Willow wrote:

If you move the writing away from that then you have a much less attractive script, in professional terms, for the two stars. Benedict and Martin are hugely in demand, and they do have agents; allowing Season 4 to be all about Mary is not a good plan, looking at it from the perspective of working actors trying to maximise their career potential.

Both Benedict and Martin are in great career shape at the moment, Amanda is Martin's partner and they seem to get on well.  I agree the creators probably still wouldn't make Mary the sole focus but I could see the stars accepting a fairly major role for her for series 4.

January 18, 2014 10:55 pm  #57

Clancy wrote:

Other possibilities for the shooting/ambulance thing include

- Mary didn't shoot Magnussen because she thought there was hard copy somewhere that might get found in the course of a murder investigation (the secret service would be all over Magnussen's effects, given a chance).  Her initial intent had been to torture him until he handed it over.  Unlikely IMO - I prefer the protect John line here.

- accepting Mary as a highly skilled assassin she had to know there was a fair chance of Sherlock dying.  Maybe she didn't go for a 'kill immediately' shot because she wanted John to be distracted trying to save Sherlock and thus give Mary time to get clear.

- It's possible that Mary didn't call the ambulance.  That could have been done by Magnussen (we only saw the pistol whip in Sherlock's recap, Magnussen might have been conscious), to preserve his line to Mycroft.  Perhaps the ambulance station is just alot closer to Magnussen's office, or Magnussen has done something to ensure a rapid response to his office, in case he ever needs it (massive donation if he's a smart as they say).

I wondered whether Mary had obtained the memory stick from CAM since I cannot think of any other reason why someone would carry incriminating information about themselves; she would still, of course, have wanted to be sure that the info was wiped off the hard drives she assumed CAM would use.

The 'use John's time saving Sherlock' idea works for me; she knew John was there, and knew he would recognise that a bullet through the brain had no possible survival chance.

And yes, billionaires probably do get ambulances faster than the average 

January 18, 2014 11:06 pm  #58

I can't say it's the most watertight explanation I've ever seen but I'm willing to go with it, because the writers say so, and pretend that Mary didn't have any other options. 

In-universe, I'd say, she panicked, her first instinct was to shoot them both, she stopped herself from doing that and instead just wounded Sherlock and called emergency services. It wasn't a well-reasoned thing, it was a reflex. 

IRL, I think Moffat approached it from the other side. He went 'what if the lady that killed Milverton was someone Sherlock knows? And what if she turns around and shoots him instead? And then some explanation. This discussion is not something that went through his head I think. 

January 18, 2014 11:08 pm  #59

Clancy wrote:

Willow wrote:

Both Benedict and Martin are in great career shape at the moment, Amanda is Martin's partner and they seem to get on well.  I agree the creators probably still wouldn't make Mary the sole focus but I could see the stars accepting a fairly major role for her for series 4.

Both Benedict and Martin are up for leading roles; it's not a good time for them to start allowing focus to slide away from them. The show is being sold all over the world; it's making a lot of money and however well they all get on together it is still risky to move away from a winning formula.

They can't suddenly turn Mary into a nice suburban wife who can stay home and look after the baby whilst S&J save England, and Moffat has noted that they can't allow a homicidal nurse to follow them around shooting anyone she thinks may be a risk to them. That doesn't really leave much in the way of plot lines available; I am betting on her having some link with the alleged return of Moriarty...

January 18, 2014 11:29 pm  #60

Willow wrote:

They can't suddenly turn Mary into a nice suburban wife who can stay home and look after the baby whilst S&J save England...

I think I would be quite happy if they did that. It seems to me that this is exaclty what Mary wants.

Board footera