BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 18, 2014 8:40 am  #61

Re: The dynamic between Sherlock, John & Mary - an attempt at explanation

Because that's the point of a Mind Palace, it has everything.
Sometimes the pointless clutter is exactly what you need.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 18, 2014 12:14 pm  #62

I would also add that, being a palace in your mind, the apperance of your Mind Palace can change depending on your mood or needs.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

January 18, 2014 8:32 pm  #63

Looking for logic in the mind palace is probably not the right way to go. They didn't go for realistic, they went for awesome theatre. Derren Brown's description of how a mind palace could work is very different from what's depicted here, this is more like an internal dialogue. It just looks cool.

But I agree that Mycrof's behavious seems a bit suspicious, he even stated that 'there must be something in the punch'. Maybe he was just playing along, and had already foreseen Sherlock's plan. Of course, they were both surprised by the absence of vaults, that's why Sherlock wanted CAM to tell Mycroft the truth before he shot him. 

January 19, 2014 3:14 am  #64

Returning to the OP, part of the trouble I'm having with understanding the dynamic between S/J/M is that I find some of the setup very unconvincing and I can't tell which is Moffat skipping over difficult details and which is Moffat dropping hints, although I'm sure both are present.

Of all the plot points in this ep the thing I find hardest to accept is that John subconsciously knew Mary was a killer - he could have picked up on her pragmatism, speed of thought and reflex, self confidence, physical co-ordination, possibly her being morally grey as well as the surface characteristics of a fun, bright, sparky personality, but that doesn't add up to CIA assassin (if that's what she was) - it could just as well describe John.  IMO John probably thought she was like himself,  rather than like Sherlock.

That's why I prefer the notion that Sherlock is playing John and Mary (seperately rather than together) and faking accepting her, for reasons we'll have to wait at least a year for.

eta:  bbcatemysoul on tumblr (I should learn how to link to individual posts on tumblr, but today is not the day) posted a suggestion about Sherlock's reasons for forgiving Mary that IMO provide another very plausible suggestion:

"In TEH, Sherlock comes back from the dead after deceiving John for two years, and John is so angry that Sherlock is actually convinced John wants nothing to do with him anymore. Sherlock actually thinks John won’t forgive him. Sherlock tells Mrs. Hudson that John made his feelings on the matter very clear, and then goes on to try to recruit Molly as a replacement. Mary was the one who told Sherlock that she would talk John around to forgiving Sherlock.

He was so grateful to Mary for trying to help John forgive Sherlock for something that should have been unforgivable, that Sherlock repaid her by talking John into considering giving her a second chance after she also did the unforgivable.

Having John forgive him was so important to Sherlock, that he helped Mary in spite of the fact that she had actually killed him.

HE WAS REPAYING A DEBT."

Last edited by Clancy (January 19, 2014 8:05 am)

January 19, 2014 8:26 am  #65

Interesting, though I do still wonder if things would have been different, if Mary had not been pregnant.
I still tend to think that Sherlock just accepts John really loves  Mary.
I actually think Sherlock also feels quite protective towards Mary.
He actually knows what it's like to spend a life on the run.

Last edited by besleybean (January 19, 2014 11:44 am)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 19, 2014 11:43 am  #66

I am convinced that Mary's pregnancy was inserted in the plot to make it a bit easier for John - and, even more importantly, for us - to 'forgive her' and take her back. Because, after all his and our furious thinking and trying to understand, when everything else fails - because frankly everything else did fail for me in trying to understand this whole screwed up she-saved-my-life stuff - we can still cling to the fact that John finds it hard to walk away from his child.

As for Sherlock 'playing' Mary and pretending to forgive her - I do want to believe this and I do think it makes sense; however, if this is true I am very worried about how John would take being deceived so cruelly once again?

January 19, 2014 11:47 am  #67

What ever eventually happens to Mary I don't want it to be anything John can even remotely blame on Sherlock.  I want our boys to be united, not pulled apart again.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

January 19, 2014 11:48 am  #68

Quite.

January 19, 2014 12:07 pm  #69

I agree. And this is why I am very curious as to what they have planned.

Because like I said I do want to believe Sherlock has the situation under control - as in, I don't want to see him once again completely out of his depth if it turns out something else involving Mary turns up to bite them in the arse - that would break my heart.

But if that is the case, I think that would hurt John even more than before, since Sherlock has already 'not trusted' him once before, and we've all seen the disastrous consequences...

January 20, 2014 10:34 am  #70

tonnaree wrote:

What ever eventually happens to Mary I don't want it to be anything John can even remotely blame on Sherlock.  I want our boys to be united, not pulled apart again.

I really hope so, too-- but I hate to say this,because I really love John; I suspect that John will end up (at least temporarily ) blaming Sherlock. I think it's a knee jerk reaction for him , at this point-- to look for someone to blame, and that someone is very often Sherlock. 

January 20, 2014 12:14 pm  #71

RavenMorganLeigh wrote:

tonnaree wrote:

I really hope so, too-- but I hate to say this,because I really love John; I suspect that John will end up (at least temporarily ) blaming Sherlock. I think it's a knee jerk reaction for him , at this point-- to look for someone to blame, and that someone is very often Sherlock. 

Yes; in some ways Sherlock seems to have grown up a bit this season, whereas John seems to be going backwards. I am sure, however, that the show runners recognise the power of the Sherlock/John iconic centre of the stories; they can't undermine that without destroying the entire show. So I am hoping that John, like Sherlock, has learned his lesson 

January 20, 2014 2:16 pm  #72

Willow wrote:

Yes; in some ways Sherlock seems to have grown up a bit this season, whereas John seems to be going backwards. I am sure, however, that the show runners recognise the power of the Sherlock/John iconic centre of the stories; they can't undermine that without destroying the entire show. So I am hoping that John, like Sherlock, has learned his lesson

It would be interesting if they played with that a bit in the next series. What happened between them in s3 was so emotional, hard to top that, they might want to bring it back to calmer waters. It's interesting that Sherlock seems to be the most loyal of the two, while John is often sceptical. Though I guess you won't easily trust a friend who pulled such a stunt as Sherlock did. Sherlock really needed to earn it back. 

January 20, 2014 2:46 pm  #73

silverblaze wrote:

Willow wrote:

It would be interesting if they played with that a bit in the next series. What happened between them in s3 was so emotional, hard to top that, they might want to bring it back to calmer waters. It's interesting that Sherlock seems to be the most loyal of the two, while John is often sceptical. Though I guess you won't easily trust a friend who pulled such a stunt as Sherlock did. Sherlock really needed to earn it back. 

I entirely agree that Sherlock needed to earn the trust back; he had a perfectly good reason for not letting John in on the secret since John isn't exactly the master of subtle deception but two years is too long

January 20, 2014 3:51 pm  #74

Willow wrote:

I entirely agree that Sherlock needed to earn the trust back; he had a perfectly good reason for not letting John in on the secret since John isn't exactly the master of subtle deception but two years is too long

I'd lose trust, good reason or not. And John knows that he can act like an emotionless psychopath, so that wouldn't help much either. I didn't think I'd discover another layer in this but yes, I think that's why he blames Sherlock so much, even after he forgave him. Maybe Sherlock's 'Christmas present' healed a few things for John. 

January 20, 2014 4:21 pm  #75

silverblaze wrote:

Willow wrote:

I'd lose trust, good reason or not. And John knows that he can act like an emotionless psychopath, so that wouldn't help much either. I didn't think I'd discover another layer in this but yes, I think that's why he blames Sherlock so much, even after he forgave him. Maybe Sherlock's 'Christmas present' healed a few things for John. 

Actually that hadn't occurred to me before but yes, the inviting them together so that they could see the Holmes Happy Christmas family seems a tad unusual for Sherlock but it may have worked. My reservations stem from the way that Mary was 'playing' Holmes senior, and the way in which she spoke to John before the 'prepared words' emerged. However,  I do not believe that John Watson would ask Holmes senior to go away; that is an incredible breach of good manners which just doesn't fit with the character. In middle class England you do not tell a chap to get out of his own sitting room, particularly when that chap is a generation older than you.

Of course, Moffat may have put that in as the precursor to Sherlock asking the others to go away at the airport; being Moffat he probably was, but it's still a really strange thing to do.

But I don't think John is an emotionless psychopath; CAM was wrong about that. Being an adrenaline junkie is not the same as being a psychopath; I hope that John finally works that one out for himself, because otherwise he is going to get into horrendously deep waters...

January 20, 2014 4:45 pm  #76

Willow wrote:

Actually that hadn't occurred to me before but yes, the inviting them together so that they could see the Holmes Happy Christmas family seems a tad unusual for Sherlock but it may have worked. My reservations stem from the way that Mary was 'playing' Holmes senior, and the way in which she spoke to John before the 'prepared words' emerged. However, I do not believe that John Watson would ask Holmes senior to go away; that is an incredible breach of good manners which just doesn't fit with the character. In middle class England you do not tell a chap to get out of his own sitting room, particularly when that chap is a generation older than you.

Haha, no, by 'Cristmas present' I meant shooting CAM. He sacrificed himself for John and Mary and I thought that might heal John's trust. 

I don't think Mary was playing Holmes senior, she was just having light conversation with him, how's that playing? And he volunteered to leave when he saw how Mary and John interacted, John just said something like 'yes please'. 

January 20, 2014 5:28 pm  #77

silverblaze wrote:

Willow wrote:

Actually that hadn't occurred to me before but yes, the inviting them together so that they could see the Holmes Happy Christmas family seems a tad unusual for Sherlock but it may have worked. My reservations stem from the way that Mary was 'playing' Holmes senior, and the way in which she spoke to John before the 'prepared words' emerged. However, I do not believe that John Watson would ask Holmes senior to go away; that is an incredible breach of good manners which just doesn't fit with the character. In middle class England you do not tell a chap to get out of his own sitting room, particularly when that chap is a generation older than you.

Haha, no, by 'Cristmas present' I meant shooting CAM. He sacrificed himself for John and Mary and I thought that might heal John's trust. 

I don't think Mary was playing Holmes senior, she was just having light conversation with him, how's that playing? And he volunteered to leave when he saw how Mary and John interacted, John just said something like 'yes please'. 

Mary to Holmes senior:

'Oh my God; you are the sane one, aren't you?'

To which he replies:

'Aren't you?'.

Mary is portraying herself as the sane one, trying to create a non-existent link between herself and Holmes senior; I very much doubt that he would regard her as sane if he knew what we know.

The second piece of dialogue is John coming into the doorway of the room where Mary and Holmes senior are and saying:

'Oh.' Sorry, I, I, just, er'

whereupon Holmes senior says:

'Oh, er. Do you two need a moment?

To which John replies:

'If you wouldn't mind'.

This is a blatant breach of middle class English conventions; they've been invited into someone else's home for Xmas day and yet John, who had convention ground into him in the Army if nowhere else,  apparently forgets the most fundamental rules. It has been established that Mary is very probably not English, so she wouldn't know the rules, but John does.

It's weird, and I don't know whether it's supposed to tell us something about John or it's just Moffat setting up for the scene at the airport when Sherlock asks for some time with John, and we get that surprised look on Mycroft's face...

January 20, 2014 5:39 pm  #78

I also noticed John's faux pas, but just put it down to him being stressed!

January 20, 2014 7:09 pm  #79

Willow wrote:

Mary to Holmes senior:

'Oh my God; you are the sane one, aren't you?'

To which he replies:

'Aren't you?'.

Mary is portraying herself as the sane one, trying to create a non-existent link between herself and Holmes senior; I very much doubt that he would regard her as sane if he knew what we know.

No, she says he is the sane one, not she. He says 'aren't you' and she looks unconfortable and breaks eye contact, as in 'not really'. She really says 'you', she never implies that she means herself, she's just placing herself in his position. As I said, smalltalk. 

Willow wrote:

The second piece of dialogue is John coming into the doorway of the room where Mary and Holmes senior are and saying:

'Oh.' Sorry, I, I, just, er'

whereupon Holmes senior says:

'Oh, er. Do you two need a moment?

To which John replies:

'If you wouldn't mind'.

This is a blatant breach of middle class English conventions; they've been invited into someone else's home for Xmas day and yet John, who had convention ground into him in the Army if nowhere else, apparently forgets the most fundamental rules. It has been established that Mary is very probably not English, so she wouldn't know the rules, but John does.

Ok, I'm not English, you're spelling it out for me and I still don't see the faux pas. He walks into the room, surprised to find them, he and Mary are immediately unconfortable and mr. Holmes is nice enough to notice and to give them some space. He doesn't ask him to leave, he probably would have left himself if mr. Holmes hadn't picked up on the signals. Then he's visibly relieved that he did and accepts the offer. What's impolite about that? Should he have said no, stay? 

January 20, 2014 7:34 pm  #80

Some interesting thoughts in this thread , but a few things to consider.
What you hear ( see ) is different to what we are shown ( observe ).

Mary says things like.. I like him..I'l talk him round..bait to make you think that.
What we are shown is John/Sherlock back at BakerSt getting into the bomb plot case..and by the end of that case John forgives Sherlock..by the time TSOT they are back solving cases (Johnsblog several) and best mates, best man ask scene.
All with no input from Mary.
No one likes a wife/girlfriend tht objects to the partners mates do they? Mary knows reconciliation is inevitable and she cannot object.

Christmas we hear John say ..happy family reunion....
Thats not whats happening/shown.
Sherlock is setting up the Magnusson op, he already made the deal with the devil..needs Mycroft there and the drugs guy/chemist..and John for the op to work.

Sherlock and Mary's similarities are only superficial,  on the surface, what we see.When we observe the motives of their actions..they are opposites underneath.
Mary says it's for John, to keep John, but really that's selfish.
Sherlocks motives are wider ranging and for other's.  He has no personal motive to kill Magnusson , but many other motives.
Sherlocks sociopathy is not real , we know it's not quite true..he really has a heart.Mary's sociopathy..is that real? Does she really have a heart.. ?
Idk ( controversial there I know heh)

Three cases I think of Sherlocks methods in action.
Remember ...."you see but you don't observe "

Board footera