BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 16, 2014 9:17 am  #1

Timeframes....

Hey everyone this may have been posted earlier (though I haven't found it) but has anyone managed to work out the timeframe for this episode?

John and Mary had a summer wedding where Sherlock deduced she was pregnant. When she shot Sherlock, she wasn't showing still, and it was mentioned it had been around a month since John has moved out of Baker Street.

By the time Christmas came, she had a sizeable bump. But Mrs Holmes says they're making a big deal for Christmas because Sherlock was home from hospital.

Which begs the question, how long was Sherlock in hospital for?!?  Obviously the injury was bad but he must have nearly died again following his collapse at Baker Street?

What are your thoughts

I must say I'm absolutely LOVING this forum, so enjoying indulging in my fandom

I'm clueing for looks

January 16, 2014 9:34 am  #2

Re: Timeframes....

Well, judging from my own bump ... I  got pregnant in July and looked a lot like Mary around Christmas. If the wedding has taken place in August it fits perfectly.

When Mary shot Sherlock it could have been autumn, maybe October. (Again, judging from my own bump. I needed my first new clothes at the end of October.)

That would mean that Sherlock stayed in hospital for a while, which is rather realistic, IMO.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

January 16, 2014 10:58 am  #3

They were talking about wedding in may, but from John's blog it has been in August.
http://www.johnwatsonblog.co.uk/blog/11august

So the shooting must have been around september / october and Sherlock left hospital 1 week after that and then had to go back to hospital...

btw what about the bump at the airfield? looked bit smaller than xmas or was it just me?

Last edited by zeratul (January 16, 2014 10:59 am)

You’ve salted away every fact under the sun!

January 16, 2014 11:20 am  #4

I think the scene and the dialogue would still work if Sherlock was released from the hospital at the beginning of December. They don't see each other often so something like "just home from hospital" can mean a larger time span than in normal families.  

By the way, my husband's sister is pregnant in her ninth month at the moment and her bump didn't grow very consistently. You couldn't see anything at all for about three to four months. It had a sudden leap in growth around the fifth month and again in the eighth month.  So it's hard to judge the time just from the size of her bump, especially with different clothes on.

I guess the shooting took place in October. They came back from their honeymoon at the end of August, then there's a time span of one month in which Sherlock didn't see each other, but it's not clear when that is, exactly, so some time in October seems legit. That means about two months of hospital for Sherlock.

January 16, 2014 11:29 am  #5

Poor Sherlock, two months in hospital would've driven him mad - and I guess cause him to devise such a crazy plot to get to appledore!

Was it just me or did Mary seem not to be as comfortable in her pregnancy as perhaps she should at that stage? She was cold - two layers and a blanket in front of a roaring fire - and she struggled to get up. Is this foreshadowing?

I'm clueing for looks

January 16, 2014 11:54 am  #6

The time frames are interesting, since they give us a hint, how they plan to continue in season four.
When Sherlock returns in TEH, he has been absent for 2 years, just as the show had a hiatus of two years. So, they kinda restarted this in real time. Season 3 starts in Sherlock universe in November and ends a bit more than one year later in December. It spreads out over more than a year. But in our universe, only two weeks have elapsed. So we're lagging one year behind. When they really manage to restart season 4 around next Chrismas or New Year's Day,  our universes are synchronized again, and they can start the action right, where they left off. If they don't manage to get the show aired one year from now (what I suspect, will happen ), they are one year behind our universe, but I still think, they will pick up the plot, where they left it, since Moriarty, dead or alive, has to be dealt with.
So, if they pick up the plot, where they left, the birth of the baby isn't assured at all. There are many ugly things, which still can happen.

January 16, 2014 11:57 am  #7

clareiow wrote:

Poor Sherlock, two months in hospital would've driven him mad - and I guess cause him to devise such a crazy plot to get to appledore!

Was it just me or did Mary seem not to be as comfortable in her pregnancy as perhaps she should at that stage? She was cold - two layers and a blanket in front of a roaring fire - and she struggled to get up. Is this foreshadowing?

With a bump like that, you simply struggle to get up. Believe me.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

January 16, 2014 12:00 pm  #8

Yeah I don't have kids - I trust your word

I'm clueing for looks

January 16, 2014 12:41 pm  #9

BUT it could be foreshadowing just as well. (Every time I write something like that, it sounds so awfully cruel, I'm sorry!  )

January 16, 2014 12:50 pm  #10

It's so strange that John's blog says the wedding was in August, because we have two TV canon references to May. At the end of TEH, Mary tells Mrs Hudson that they're looking for a May date, and the wedding invitation clearly gives a date in May:

I think at the beginning of HLV, they say John hasn't really talked to Sherlock in a month, and I somehow presumed that they hadn't really talked since the wedding (which kinda made sense to me, seeing how Sherlock left the wedding early, which in turn John might have read as a sign of Sherlock wanting to withdraw from John's life).

In my mind the beginning of HLV wasn't much later than June or July, which would also be in line with Mary's pregnancy. When they go pick up that neighbour's kid (and Sherlock) at the drug den, it doesn't seem as if you can see much of the baby bump yet, suggesting Mary is still in the first trimester-ish. Which would suggest June/July/August.

Taking that into account, hm, I don't think Sherlock would have been in the hospital longer than three or four weeks. The bullet wound didn't seem to have caused a huge amount of internal damage, suggesting his recovery wouldn't have been overly complicated. (Not that I have any experience here...) So if he was released shortly before Christmas, I'm not exactly sure how all of this is adding up. Of course it could be that the beginning of HLV was more towards October/November time, but then wouldn't Mary have had to be more visibly pregnant?

January 16, 2014 1:11 pm  #11

Well i think the shot was pretty serious, Molly and Mycroft both say in the mind palace that he is going to die, and indeed momentarily he does.

And someone on twitter (hardly reliable I grant you) who claims to know a thing or two about such injuries said if the bullet didn't pass through, it means it hit bone or artery. The latter sounds more probable given the internal bleeding he suffers later on. Which means he will have required more surgery to fix "the leak". So I can imagine he will have been out of action for quite some time.

I'm thinking about this too much....

I'm clueing for looks

January 16, 2014 1:15 pm  #12

Swanpride wrote:

You just want her to die....

Well no, I don't, really. I just love drama for our boys.
Which is cruel, I know!

Last edited by Hera (January 16, 2014 1:17 pm)

January 16, 2014 1:40 pm  #13

clareiow wrote:

Well i think the shot was pretty serious, Molly and Mycroft both say in the mind palace that he is going to die, and indeed momentarily he does.

And someone on twitter (hardly reliable I grant you) who claims to know a thing or two about such injuries said if the bullet didn't pass through, it means it hit bone or artery. The latter sounds more probable given the internal bleeding he suffers later on. Which means he will have required more surgery to fix "the leak". So I can imagine he will have been out of action for quite some time.

I'm thinking about this too much....

Nonsense! There's no such thing as thinking too much about Sherlock

But I agree that Sherlock would have been in hospital for a lengthy period, particularly the second time around. I suspect his surgeon's reaction to him going AWOL would be unprintable, so I shall refrain from speculating on his precise terminology...

January 16, 2014 2:23 pm  #14

Between blog and TV episode I'm going to take the TV episode as canon, so my timeline goes like this:

November 2013 - Episode1, Sherlock comes back
May 18th - Episode 2, Wedding day
[somewhere between June and September, most likely early September] - Episode 3, John goes to the drug den, Sherlock gets shot; Sherlock's parents go line-dancing in "Oklahoma!";

[Usually otherwise healthy young gunshot survivors get discharged after about 1-2 weeks of hospital stay, still he did technically die during surgery so probably his wound was quite serious. The light clothing worn by everybody and a shirtless Sherlock seem to suggest that this part of the episode does indeed occur when the weather is still warm; still the mains are all wearing jackets and coats too so it can't be in the middle of the summer - I'm going with early-mid September. Also, Mary is still quite slender and fit when she shoots Sherlock, from a side shot I saw she could reasonably be no more than 4 months along. ]

Early-mid September - Sherlock reveals Mary's past; confrontation at 221b Baker St; Sherlock collapses. Off to the hospital he goes, meets Magnussen, etc. 

25th December - Christmas at the Holmes's, Appledore shooting (Mary should be around 7-8 months pregnant)
days after Christmas-early days of January 2015 - Tarmac scene; Moriarty's "return".

Last edited by shezza (January 16, 2014 2:49 pm)

March 20, 2014 8:46 pm  #15

I am not sure if this has been discussed before:

In the scene with the Empty Hearse we see the TV news reporting that Sherlock is alive. The ticker beliw announces that Magnussen has been summoned to a parliamentary hearing. This is at the beginning of November. The hearing, however, we see in HLV is after the wedding which takes place in May. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

March 20, 2014 8:49 pm  #16

Bloody hell that's a great spot Susi!

I wonder if there's a crossover then, between TsoT and HLV. That the hearing we see at the beginning of HLV happens before the wedding. Would explain sherlocks attitude to Janine at the wedding.....

I'm clueing for looks

March 20, 2014 9:09 pm  #17

I assume Johns kidnapping was around nov 5...TEH
Wedding in may...TSOT
And HLV @xmas in dec.
Meaning Sherlocks shooting was around end of June and Mary is in her 8/9 month@xmas...and Sherlock was in hospital several (4/5) months...unless mummy meant he had maybe had a final/all clear re visit just b4 xmas...which is wht I think.

Idk but seems Magnusson was around in nov..not abroad.

Last edited by lil (March 20, 2014 9:11 pm)

March 21, 2014 7:48 pm  #18

Actually-- I'm trying to get the timing for when Mary went after Sherlock in the hospital? I'm still trying to figure out how she avoided John????

March 21, 2014 7:54 pm  #19

John is a human haha
Sometimes he needs to get some food or go to the loo. Mary just waited the right moment ;)

Last edited by Ozymandias (March 21, 2014 7:55 pm)

"Storming, enjoying, planning, loving, cautioning,
Backing and filling, appearing and disappearing,
I tread day and night such roads."
Walt Whitman

March 28, 2014 10:30 pm  #20

Ozymandias wrote:

John is a human haha
Sometimes he needs to get some food or go to the loo. Mary just waited the right moment ;)

Sorry to take so long to reply; beleive it or not, I hadn't thought of that, but it does work for the story I'm working on. Thanks!

Board footera