BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 9, 2014 6:19 pm  #121

Re: Poor Janine

But she knows he's a consulting detective.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

November 9, 2014 6:32 pm  #122

@Harriet, I'm joking (as is Janine).   They're just one of those things that have become mainstream over the years - like vibrators, oral sex, etc. Nobody would bat an eyelid at Janine's comment.  It's just cute and funny.

November 9, 2014 6:42 pm  #123

I appear to be even more shocked by it than Sherlock!
Well not shocked, but I would have responded differently!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

November 9, 2014 6:44 pm  #124

Of course you would.

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

November 9, 2014 6:48 pm  #125

Well yes, I would hve pointed out that it was not in the realms of impossibility for a consulting detective to be carrying handcuffs!

November 9, 2014 6:54 pm  #126

Spoilsport..
She´s teasing him and he teases back, I love it.

November 9, 2014 7:05 pm  #127

Oh yes, it's a bit of fun to relieve an otherwise heavy scene.

November 11, 2014 1:02 am  #128

It's possible Janine and Sherlock will be recurring pals for the foreseeable future.  The
Sussex location and bee reference sound  kind of canonicaly long term  to me.  

November 11, 2014 1:25 am  #129

CarlPowers wrote:

It's possible Janine and Sherlock will be recurring pals for the foreseeable future.  The
Sussex location and bee reference sound  kind of canonicaly long term  to me.  

I haven't heard the HLV commentary yet, but there was apparently a line cut from the script alluding to this very scenario!!!

Of any character on the show, Janine is the only one so far that Sherlock could be truly paired with that would make sense to me in terms of how I see the character. It would completely contradict ACD canon, of course, but the chemistry between those two is exists at every level. I rewatched HLV today and was looking at the kiss again. Close mouthed, yes, but Sherlock's definitely kissing back.

Mary

John: That's clever. So you scratch their backs and...
Sherlock: Yes. And then disinfect myself.

November 11, 2014 5:19 am  #130

Well, faking a relationship would be hard without kissing back ...

Just saying.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

November 11, 2014 6:40 am  #131

Just this.

November 11, 2014 7:54 am  #132

I don't see him getting together with anybody in the near future.  But that's why the beehive comment made me think, as I could see him changing and mellowing in his old age. 

I think they make Janine look stunning, especially in the scene where she comes out of the bedroom.   They do make a lovely couple to look at, if you didn't know the truth.   I hadn't thought Janine was near Sherlock's intellectual equal, but then she seems bright and we never get a chance to see what she's capable of.   Sherlock admires her for selling her story (cleverly getting one up on both the men who were using her).   She's quite robust and could cope with Sherlock being a dick, but brings out a playful, fun side in him.    The more I watch, the more I warm to her.

But I don't think it's appropriate to put it in the show.  A hint that they might get together later, when Sherlock feels he can risk a flaw in the intrument of his mind, is fine, but I don't see Sherlock with a girlfriend (or boyfriend!  I was quoting Mark Gatiss there!) in the series.  It's something you kind of want for him (as Mark said in the commentary) because you know he's deliberately denying himself that side of life, but it's not something that could happen without him changing an aspect of his character which has been established.   And although books, film and TV are keen to show us that the happy outcome must almost always involve the main character getting together with somebody, in real life people do manage to be happily single, with friends and family for company.  But I can see Sherlock relaxing and exploring that when he retires (it's self-control and possibly a bit of arrogance holding him back, not lack of interest). 

Last edited by Liberty (November 12, 2014 7:38 am)

November 11, 2014 12:36 pm  #133

Liberty wrote:

I don't see him getting together with anybody in the near future.  But that's why the beehive comment made me think, as I could see him changing and mellowing in his old age. 

I think they make Janine look stunning, especially in the scene where she comes out of the bedroom.   They do make a lovely couple to look at, if you didn't know the truth.   I hadn't thought Janine was near Sherlock's intellectual equal, but then she seems bright and we never get a chance to see what she's capable of.   Sherlock admires her for selling her story (cleverly getting one up on both the men who were using her).   She's quite robust and could cope with Sherlock being a dick, but brings out a playful, fun side in him.    The more I watch, the more I warm to her.

But I don't think it's appropriate to put it in the show.  A hint that they might get together later, when Sherlock feels he can risk a flaw in the intrument of his mind, is fine, but I don't see Sherlock with a girlfriend in the series.  It's something you kind of want for him (as Mark said in the commentary) because you know he's deliberately denying himself that side of life, but it's not something that could happen without him changing an aspect of his character which has been established.   And although books, film and TV are keen to show us that the happy outcome must almost always involve the main character getting together with somebody, in real life people do manage to be happily single, with friends and family for company.  But I can see Sherlock relaxing and exploring that when he retires (it's self-control and possibly a bit of arrogance holding him back, not lack of interest). 

I agree completly to what you are saying.

Bitte nicht so drängeln, wir sind hier bei der Arbeit und nicht auf der Flucht!
Please don´t push, we are at work and not on the run.

November 12, 2014 1:28 am  #134

I think there's every chance she'll turn up from time to time in future series, but in a casual sort of way. I know I read a piece with Moffat and Gatiss talking about her at greater length than here, and as I recall Gatiss said that she'd give him a hard time but would in the end agree to help him out, and that they'd enjoy themselves together. 

It seemed to me that she "got" Sherlock pretty well at the wedding, and that she genuinely liked hime--she's pretty blunt herself! And she forgave him really quite easily in HLV--she did sell a story about him to the papers for tons of money, but she could just as easily have sold a hurtful or embarrassing story, maybe saying that he's a terrible lover, or that he abused her, or that he's incapable of sexual activities altogether, and she didn't. 

Long term love interest? No idea. It's certainly nothing he'd be interested in any time soon, going by to-date character development.

"Oh, you meant 'spectacularly ignorant' in a NICE way."

November 12, 2014 9:14 am  #135

I agree. They had a great chemistry from the beginning and it was so much fun to watch them together – they genuinely seemed to enjoy each others company – at least that's the impression I got. I would like to see her again. But a long term love interest? I don't think so... I suppose we can't really know if Janine believed Sherlock was in for a real relationship. I find it hard to believe but on the other hand, I suppose if Sherlock looks deep into your eyes, you will believe anything he says

“Four serial suicides and now a note! It’s Christmas!” -Sherlock

November 12, 2014 5:54 pm  #136

Yes, I think so, LaNena.  I don't think Janine was completely fooled, but I think she was influenced by wanting it to be true.    It's a shame, because it seems they really did get on well (I wondered if at the wedding, Sherlock was already working on Janine to get to Magnussen.  But according the commentary, he genuinely liked her.), and despite obviously fancying him, Janine seemed quite happy about them being "just friends". 

November 12, 2014 6:46 pm  #137

LaNena wrote:

I agree. They had a great chemistry from the beginning and it was so much fun to watch them together – they genuinely seemed to enjoy each others company

I think that the fact that hours after meeting he's making secret pirouettes for her is very telling!

Thank you, Janine, for giving us the imagine of Sherlock at a crime scene, Belstaff flying, as he demonstrates how a pirouette could have accidentally decapitated someone. Or something like that.

Mary

John: That's clever. So you scratch their backs and...
Sherlock: Yes. And then disinfect myself.

November 29, 2014 9:33 pm  #138

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

November 29, 2014 9:38 pm  #139

Wonder how she'll appear next series.

November 29, 2014 9:49 pm  #140

I don´t think she will appear again.she bought a cottage...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
..I've always assumed that love is a dangerous disadvantage. Thank you for the final proof...

Board footera