BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 5, 2014 10:06 pm  #21

Re: Poor Janine

Thinbeard wrote:

I'm wondering if there isn't another reason for the Janine character. A Moriarty family connection? How might she and Mary have come to know each other? Why are we informed about the cottage and the bees? Why are we informed that CAM flicked her eye? What did he have on her? And, by the way, how did Mary get into CAM's office? Sherlock says she left the way she came but that isn't explained? Wouldn't Janine have seen the person who bashed her in the head? Any thoughts?

Or an Adler family connection: she looks and acts like a sort of a "Irene-lite." Maybe CAM threatened to reveal to terrorists where Irene was hiding? Or threatened to make it look like Janine was involved in Irene's gathering of information?

May 6, 2014 9:31 am  #22

This Is The Phantom Lady wrote:

I have a feeling Janine might have known; maybe not Sherlock's entire plan but had a feeling all along. Like it has been said I also feel like she would have sold her story to the press in the end...

And hey; what wouldn't one do for those cheekbones?? 

This

"I'm not a psychopath, Anderson, I'm a high-functioning sociopath. Do your research."

May 6, 2014 4:20 pm  #23

Quite.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

May 7, 2014 10:54 am  #24

I loved Janine, and I want her back at some point. I don't think there really is a reason to feel very sorry for her. As shown in HLV she knows quite well how to look after herself. 
I don't think she was keen on selling Sherlock's story from the get-go. I loved when she said to Sherlock in the hospital how they could have been friends and how she even would have let him into M.'s office without any further scheming on his side if he'd only been honest with her. I think she genuinely had feelings for him and selling the story was her way of retaliating and at the same time getting out of what must have been possibly a well paid, but otherwise fairly unpleasant job. Sounds fairly clever to me.
Remains the mystery of how she and Mary met and if there are any further connections between them we don't yet know about. And, as we all have noticed, there is that Irish accent of hers...
Let's see... In fact her character is a wonderful Moftiss creation, I'm quite curious to see where they are going to go with her in the next series, or whenever she will be back.

Last edited by the_dancing_woman (May 7, 2014 11:26 am)

------------------------------------------------------------------

"When you walk with Sherlock Holmes, you see the battlefield" M.H.

"My brother has the brain of scientist or a philosopher, and yet he elects to be a detective...what might we deduce about his heart?" M.H.

"Home is now behind you, the world is ahead."

May 7, 2014 3:56 pm  #25

The hospital scene with Janine and Sherlock, rather mirrors the 'revelation' scene with Irene and Sherlock.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

August 1, 2014 3:37 pm  #26

Oh,this is so much fun!  You guys are giving me so much to think about!  I liked Janine from the start, and applauded her 'revenge' on Sherlock, which he seems to feel was perfectly justified.  I  like it that they seem to have parted on  friendly terms and wouldn't mind seeing more of her in some capacity.

It really bugged me though, that in the hospital scene we are given to understand that after apparently living together for a month, they had never actually 'done it'.  How does that work in the 21st century? 

She's hiding in Sherlock's bedroom that morning clothed in nothing but one of his shirts - and what does that signal in the movies when a girl is wearing just her boyfriend's shirt, hmmm?.  She is clearly familiar enough with the flat to have made a few domestic changes, such as where the coffee is kept.  And then she steps into the bathroom with Sherlock and we hear a squeal and a splash.  And later, she sits on his lap and talks of dinner plans with the Watsons and shares a goodbye kiss at the door that is clearly more than a peck on the cheek.

And THEN Moftiss have the nerve to suggest to us that there's been no sex!  Seriously???

If that is indeed what Janine meant by "Just once would have been nice,"  I do think this is unfair and misleading story-telling.

Thoughts?

Last edited by Sherlockismyfix (August 1, 2014 3:40 pm)

August 1, 2014 3:55 pm  #27

Definitely meant to indicate to us there had been no sex, so I never quite understood why Janine was SO upset.

August 5, 2014 3:29 pm  #28

"Just once would have been nice."

Seriously, in what way does that line convey the definite fact that Janine and Sherlock never had sex? If that's what Janine meant, it would amount to "I would have been OK with you using me like that if only you had had sex with me in recompense", which is not what I think Janine was looking for in that relationship. At least, if it was, then Sherlock's behaviour towards her wouldn't be half as heartless as I think it's supposed to be.

Sadly enough I don't have an alternative interpretation of that enigmatic line that makes more sense. I'm just working it out through what else we see and know of that relationship. Janine coming out of Sherlock's bedroom wearing a pyjama top (which I think is what it is, not a shirt - but might well be Sherlock's rather than hers) and nothing else doesn't really argue innocent virginal cuddling. And I can totally see Sherlock having full blown sex with Janine simply for the sake of making the supposed relationship seem more real to her. It's really rather disturbing but I think he'd be capable of doing that. Now shoot me.

besleybean wrote:

Definitely meant to indicate to us there had been no sex, so I never quite understood why Janine was SO upset.

Erm  - there is more to a relationship than sex, isn't there? And while of course it's much worse to be used like that both sexually and emotionally is more frustrating than being used just emotionally, even without sex Janine would have had every right in the world to be totally, utterly mad at Sherlock...

Last edited by La Jolie (August 5, 2014 3:34 pm)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t move, don’t speak, don’t breathe. I’m trying to think.

August 5, 2014 3:43 pm  #29

Sorry, I wasn't being entirely serious there!
But what Janine did to Sherlock was so much worse.

August 5, 2014 5:39 pm  #30

besleybean wrote:

But what Janine did to Sherlock was so much worse.

Hmm, I can't agree there.  Sherlock strung her along for a month, either with or without sex, and even proposed!  He knew it was awful, too, and he seemed very OK with her revenge.  In fact, it seems to me they parted on relatively good terms.

August 5, 2014 5:46 pm  #31

I agree and possibly Sherlock regretted what he did.

August 5, 2014 5:59 pm  #32

I think that Sherlock realised when she said, "We could have been friends" that he could have just asked for her help to get to Magnussen, instead of stringing her along.

I have no doubt that they have parted on good terms. Moffat even said, "I think he’s genuinely fond of Janine. And you know, if he needed someone on his arm, to go to a function, he’d probably phone her up and say, ‘Oh, come on. Don’t be a bore.’"

(I still think that the most despicable thing about the whole Janine storyline is that Sherlock called her a whore. To me, that's the second worse thing a man can call a woman. *shudders*)

Mary

Last edited by maryagrawatson (August 5, 2014 6:05 pm)

John: That's clever. So you scratch their backs and...
Sherlock: Yes. And then disinfect myself.

August 5, 2014 6:02 pm  #33

A media whore.
Just means she sold her lies to tabloid trash.
Heck, she got s cottage put of him.
What did he get?

August 5, 2014 6:08 pm  #34

I don't care the context, it's not acceptable to me. I'd call it out of character, but he is the one who made the snide comment about Molly's breasts.

What did he get out of it? He got into Magnussen's office, which is what he wanted.

Mary

August 6, 2014 3:18 pm  #35

As for the "whore", she started it. Of course it is, generally speaking, an awful thing to say to a girl, but when it comes to selling fictional bedroom stories to the yellow press, it's pretty close. Look at the whole scene: 

JANINE:  Sherlock Holmes, you are a back-stabbing, heartless, manipulative bastard.
SHERLOCK: And you – as it turns out – are a grasping, opportunistic, publicity-hungry tabloid whore.
JANINE: So we’re good, then!
SHERLOCK: Yeah, of course.

The point is that they can call it even, and they do. The conversation takes an almost cheerful turn at that point, doesn't it? So I refuse to be angry at Sherlock for using that word when clearly Janine herself isn't...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t move, don’t speak, don’t breathe. I’m trying to think.

August 6, 2014 3:21 pm  #36

Quite.

August 6, 2014 4:28 pm  #37

I have seen the term "media whore" used in reference to men and women about equally.  I think in this context, it has less of a sexual connotation, and more that the person has sold out their integrity to the media for publicity and/or money.

So the usage here didn't bother me, although in general, when used to stigmatize a woman for sexual activity, I would agree with Mary.

August 6, 2014 4:46 pm  #38

The emphasis on the word whore is really what bothers me about the exchange. It's not just 'tabloid whore' but 'tabloid whore' as thoug the last part is the most important.  It bothers me and I still think it shows a really ugly side of Sherlock's personality that I thought Molly smacked out of him (figuratively and literally).

Mary

August 6, 2014 4:49 pm  #39

She told lies about him for money, I think that's what he was emphasising.

August 6, 2014 4:53 pm  #40

No need to keep hitting me over the head with why he said what he said. I get it. I just don't like it. It doesn't fit the character arc of the series and it's an ugly turn of words. That is all.

Mary

Board footera