BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 15, 2014 12:37 am  #21

Re: Sherlock's Mind Palace

I find it absolutely wonderful that Sherlock has people inside it, letting them help. So much for character development. Even Anderson. Magnussen's was empty and lonely.

❈-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------❈
The only respect that opinions deserve is their free questioning.  

January 16, 2014 8:21 am  #22

I think this is quite intriguing and has not been mentioned before. The hallway in which Sherlock meets Redbeard is the same as in ASiP.

http://cptjhwatson.tumblr.com/post/73435421828/a-study-in-pink-his-last-vow-its-not-just

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 16, 2014 8:27 am  #23

Just like the stairs. And Sherlock has not only chosen those stairs for his mind palace, he has also renovated them in his mind.

Last edited by Schmiezi (January 16, 2014 8:28 am)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

January 16, 2014 8:29 am  #24

So much for John saving him in every possible way. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 16, 2014 8:47 am  #25

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

January 16, 2014 8:59 am  #26

I love the whole sequence and it is so full of symbolism and meanings you can just go on and on analysing it. It was very clever to introduce Redbeard and young Sherlock there, for example, as it prepares us for the after killing scene with Sherlock who merges into a frightened child. Andrew Scott was awesome and scary and indeed it is scary to think that he is hiding in the deepest recess of Sherlock's mind. The moment he decides to come back for John's sake is so impressive, it almost made me cry.

January 16, 2014 11:22 am  #27

SusiGo wrote:

So much for John saving him in every possible way. 

So it all goes back to John, to their very first case together. He really is Sherlock's pressure point. I think I'll have a cry now...

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

January 17, 2014 11:18 am  #28

I don't know if it has been mentioned before. But all the places of Sherlock's mind palace were real places where he's been before, which means that he must have been to that creepy lock-down cell where Moriarty is, which made wonder, if he's not only been to the place but that he actually was a prisoner/patient there.

January 17, 2014 11:41 am  #29

What an interesting thought, Hera. You are right - the college and the staircase from ASiP, the morgue, Mycroft's office ... and this. 

January 17, 2014 1:44 pm  #30

Wow Hera! Great insight. It'd be absolutely heartbreaking though.

January 18, 2014 9:52 pm  #31

Did anyone else realize Sherlock's mistake when he went to the padded room to seek out Moriarty?  He was trying to go there to stop the pain. But Moriarty had a death wish.  Everything about Moriarty would feed Sherlock into giving up on life.  Moriarty's anesthetic for a boring life was a great death.  Luckily-John shows up or else we probably would have lost Sherlock-not from the wound, but because Sherlock may have been letting life slide away from him once John got married.

That scene with major Sholto at the wedding.  I think Sherlock has considered not going on...just a thought.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sherlock Holmes, "Perfectly sound analysis but I was hoping you'd go deeper."

January 18, 2014 10:44 pm  #32

I missed that about the locations, funny, that's exactly how Derren Brown advises how to make one, use locations that you know. Fridge logic. Maybe the padded room wasn't a place he'd actually been in, his mind was breaking down at that point. 

I didn't think he went there to stop the pain, he went there when he could no longer stop the pain. 

January 18, 2014 10:48 pm  #33

This

I do wonder if he has considered taking his own life (obviously not counting TRF!).

The point I drew most from the whole - amazing - sequence was the true scale and depth of his emotions. Not only did it draw upon places he had been with John, it drew the relationships he has had with certain characters, people he knew he could depend on to help him through it. Dr Watson can deal with the stuff going on outside, Molly and Mycroft on the inside.

The scene with Moriarty for me is most compelling. Consider the surroundings of the padded cell, it's grubby, it's stained with only chinks of light, so the deepest part of his conscience is unloved, shabby, in ruin.

Moriarty is kept on chain within the cell. To my mind that means he holds Moriarty's opinions as much as the next person, but at arm's length.

Then he asks "You. Why do you never feel pain" through crying eyes. Sherlock is in the depth of despair, and is still asking questions of his biggest enemy. He wants to understand, he wants to draw on Moriarty for inspiration but instead, Moriarty makes it worse, telling him to embrace it rather than control or push it away. His words knock Sherlock to the ground.

I came away from the whole thing, apart from emotionally exhausted, thinking how much and how deeply Sherlock actually feels, so contrary to his cold exterior.

I'm clueing for looks

January 18, 2014 11:02 pm  #34

It seems to have become a tradition for Sherlock to pretend or nearly die in the last episode of each series.

That sequence was great heading through different levels of the subconscious. Funny how when he's almost dying, Mycroft can having a go at him but when he actually flatlined, he needed Moriarty.

January 25, 2014 7:52 pm  #35

Fefster01 wrote:

It was amazing. Classic BBC drama.
Moriarty to me was a construct of his mind in his most desperate place. By this time, he was so close to death but in his mind, he knew he needed to save John. He needed his 'mind Moriarty' to remind him of this.

Moriarty - Sherlock's life insurance.

Back on the roof then, Sherlock was right...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

January 25, 2014 7:54 pm  #36

Good deduction, Tobe, as always.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He’s got a dog. We go to the pub on weekends. I’ve met his mum and dad …

… and his friends and all his family and I’ve no idea why I’m telling you this.

January 25, 2014 8:00 pm  #37

Great connection, tobe. 

And another thing: 
Sherlock returns to the Mind Palace when he is in hospital. He sees Mary in the same hallway from Roland Kerr College in which he met Redbeard before. It is the place where John once saved his life. Is it here that Sherlock gets the idea that Mary in turn saved his life by not putting the bullet right into his head?

She is dressed as in their first meeting but her behaviour is totally different: cold and distant, showing no emotion. And this is the way Sherlock sees her in his mind. I think in this very moment he plans the confrontation between her and John. And it makes me wonder about his real motive for telling John soon after that they are made for each other and urging him to stay with her. Because at 221B and later at the airport where he kisses her goodbye we only see him from the outside whereas here we are right in his head. 

Last edited by SusiGo (January 25, 2014 8:00 pm)

January 25, 2014 9:04 pm  #38

SusiGo wrote:

Great connection, tobe. 

And another thing: 
Sherlock returns to the Mind Palace when he is in hospital. He sees Mary in the same hallway from Roland Kerr College in which he met Redbeard before. It is the place where John once saved his life. Is it here that Sherlock gets the idea that Mary in turn saved his life by not putting the bullet right into his head?

She is dressed as in their first meeting but her behaviour is totally different: cold and distant, showing no emotion. And this is the way Sherlock sees her in his mind. I think in this very moment he plans the confrontation between her and John. And it makes me wonder about his real motive for telling John soon after that they are made for each other and urging him to stay with her. Because at 221B and later at the airport where he kisses her goodbye we only see him from the outside whereas here we are right in his head. 

Yes; I think you have put your finger on a point which is going to be picked up on in the next season.

I suspect that part of the reason that John is so very, very angry with Sherlock is guilt; he really tore into Sherlock before rushing off to see Mrs Hudson, and then he comes back and sees Sherlock committing suicide. I know that John is not exactly the world's most introspective person but he must have wondered whether the things he said to Sherlock contributed to Sherlock's apparent suicide.

Sherlock, on the other hand, didn't feel guilt for those two years but does come to feel guilt about not letting John know he was still alive, even though he knows John couldn't keep a secret for five minutes if someone pressed his buttons. The problem is that John still can't keep a secret and Sherlock, knowing that, will carry on trying to protect him and his unborn child.  If that means that Sherlock has to pretend that he's fine with Mary then that's what Sherlock will do, particularly since he believes that John doesn't want to know who and what Mary is....

January 25, 2014 9:45 pm  #39

There is also this very interesting bit with a Mary in her wedding dress, shooting Sherlock, I am not sure we have already discussed it... surely a symbolic one: Mary - wedding - pain. It opens to quite a number of implications.

January 25, 2014 10:13 pm  #40

miriel68 wrote:

There is also this very interesting bit with a Mary in her wedding dress, shooting Sherlock, I am not sure we have already discussed it... surely a symbolic one: Mary - wedding - pain. It opens to quite a number of implications.

Some people Interpret this as a sign of Sherlock being jealous because he's in love with John. Well, that's a possibility, if you like the subtext. However, Sherlock was nice to Mary at the wedding in TSO3, and I rather think the meaning of the mind palace scene is that it shows how "love is a dangerous disadvantage". Sherlock is not the cold, withdrawn person anymore that he used to be before Reichenbach. He has let other people into his heart, and now one of those people nearly killed him. He would have deduced earlier that Mary was an assassin if it hadn't been for his "sentiment" to come through. This woman, whom he liked, whose wedding he attended, his best friend's wife, shot him.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He’s got a dog. We go to the pub on weekends. I’ve met his mum and dad …

… and his friends and all his family and I’ve no idea why I’m telling you this.

Board footera