BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 14, 2014 4:23 am  #1

Mycroft's Ring

Did anyone else notice when Sherlock stole Mycrof's laptop his right hand had a ring on it? It was visible during the smoking scene and you could also see it in TSoT when Sherlock phoned Mycroft before his speech. I don't think I've seen it before this episode but it seems to be placed pretty obviously this season. 

It looked like a plain wedding band - but on his right hand!  

My only idea is that it maybe has to do with "The other one". Maybe the other one was a wife? Now dead? (But that doesn't make sense because then wearing the ring would be a sign of emotional attachment.) Nope. I have no ideas. 

January 14, 2014 5:12 am  #2

Re: Mycroft's Ring

It's been present throughout the whole show. Several people have commented on it from earlier seasons wondering if it's some kind of signet ring.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

January 14, 2014 11:46 am  #3

Mark has stated previously that it is a prop.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

January 14, 2014 12:35 pm  #4

I also noticed it. Hmm.

You’ve salted away every fact under the sun!

January 14, 2014 2:46 pm  #5

Haha, you must be new here. And I mean that in the most loving way. I was pretty surprised too when I first saw it. I first thought that Mark just forgot to take his wedding ring off, but it's in every scene. 

People have proposed different in-universe theories: he's married to a man, he's widowed, it's a secret service ring, it's just an ornament like the umbrella, or possibly a combination. 

Personally I believe that Mark really forgot to take his ring off in one of his first scenes and instead of redoing the scene, he just decided to write it in. 

January 15, 2014 12:28 am  #6

Anthea wears an identical ring, also on her right hand.

January 15, 2014 12:30 am  #7

Regina Alexandra wrote:

Anthea wears an identical ring, also on her right hand.

they are not married

maybe working for the MI6 they are part of some secret club - maybe some MI6 version of the Illuminati

February 3, 2014 9:12 pm  #8

They both have the rings from the beginning.

February 3, 2014 9:46 pm  #9

Perhaps it is a sign of membership in the Diogenes Club.

February 3, 2014 9:47 pm  #10

Food for thought: In Germany you wear your wedding band on your right hand. We know Mycroft knows German. You know, I'm just sayin'...

February 3, 2014 10:12 pm  #11

But Sherlock knows Anthea and he still thinks that Mycroft is lonely. He would be deffinitely aware of any other then work relationship between them.

Board footera