BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 9, 2014 12:57 am  #341

Re: What Sherlock did...

lil wrote:

Willow wrote:

lil wrote:

Mycrofts refusal to attend the wedding and his specific and strangely predictive warning to Sherlock on the phone, indicate to me Mycroft knows about Mary, and her connection to Magnusson already. Not to mention that information is Mycrofts job and he already has an interest in John/Mary and Magnusson before Sherlock even returns.
Either Mycroft has left Mary in place because it is somehow to his advantage.
Or Mycroft put her there in the first place.
Many reasons/arguments for either atm.

Ah yes, is Mary the person Mycroft is paying to spy on Sherlock, as he tried unsuccessfully with John? If she was then Mycroft has even less willingness to lift a finger to help her; she betrayed him and she nearly killed Sherlock...

Yes, and before that even , in becoming involved with John in the first place.
Seems obvious to me she didn't just randomly or coincidentaly wander into Johns life , she was still freelancing , hence part-time.
Q is for who.

I want John to have more of an "I almost lost Sherlock once; I'm not going to sacrifice him to save an assassin / someone working for Mycroft," kind of attitude.

February 9, 2014 12:01 pm  #342

I admit that the biggest problem I have with Sherlock shooting CAM is the fact they were not searched for weapons before being allowed inside Appledore..

February 9, 2014 12:51 pm  #343

Maybe CAM never considered Sherlock would be as stupid as to shoot him and immediately implicate John.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

February 9, 2014 1:41 pm  #344

Risky business.. he did search them in 221b. Maybe he felt too sure of himself inside his fortress, but then again.. he IS a very cautious man with 14 layers of security before anyone can enter his office.. I´m not sure i am willing to buy this..

February 9, 2014 1:43 pm  #345

Zatoichi wrote:

I admit that the biggest problem I have with Sherlock shooting CAM is the fact they were not searched for weapons before being allowed inside Appledore..

Actually, I think that is vaguely plausible given the setting; CAM is the spider watching the flies walking into his parlour. He knows the vault doesn't exist, he knows he is about to be able to put Mycroft either under his thumb or forced to resign; he doesn't realise that Sherlock is capable of extreme violence.

He was wrong...

February 9, 2014 1:46 pm  #346

Becaise Sherlock will do anything for...
and I won't complete that sentence!

Last edited by besleybean (February 9, 2014 2:57 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

February 9, 2014 1:48 pm  #347

Willow wrote:

Zatoichi wrote:

Actually, I think that is vaguely plausible given the setting; CAM is the spider watching the flies walking into his parlour. He knows the vault doesn't exist, he knows he is about to be able to put Mycroft either under his thumb or forced to resign; he doesn't realise that Sherlock is capable of extreme violence.

He was wrong...

Counting too much on him being domesticated.. hm, that might be an explanation.

To quote "Pretty Woman": Big mistake. Big. Huge.

February 10, 2014 1:50 am  #348

Is there any inconsistency between Mycroft and the MPs law-and-order reaction when CAM is killed, (namely, that Sherlock has to be punished because he committed murder, despite how despicable CAM was) and the treatment of the killing of other villains in the series? 

February 10, 2014 5:59 am  #349

Hmm John shot Hope,but didn't get caught.
Mycroft sent Addler off for other people to kill.
Hounds guy stood on a landmine..ooops.
Moriarty shot himself...so did general shan..
Uh did any survive ....? Oolol
I think the different thing here is Sh did it in front of witnesss,
Crime was seen to be done, so punishment was seen to be done.
Tho I think Smallwood/Mycroft were  just covering their own asses...no way they wldnt of extracted him later.

Last edited by lil (February 10, 2014 6:00 am)

February 10, 2014 6:16 am  #350

The small moment of interaction between Smallwood and Mycroft where they decide Sherlock's fate, basically overruling everyone else puts a small doubt in my mind as to whether Mycroft basically sent Sherlock there to assassinate CAM, although Mycroft's reaction to the shooting doesn't make sense in that case.

"And in the end,
The Love you take
Is equal to the Love you make"
                                             The Beatles

February 10, 2014 3:14 pm  #351

I found interesting what BC said during Apple Store Q&A: that S. shot M. because he was outsmarted by him. Yes, of course it was a sacrifice and he was thinking about John etc. etc. but I think B. is right about it: there is some dark motivation about what Sherlock did, as well.

February 10, 2014 3:40 pm  #352

That sort of ties in with how most of us see it though, doesn't it?
Sherlock had no way out but to shoot CAM because he was too clever to be stopped through more law abiding ways?
I still think he (Sherlock) wouldn't have been driven to kill him if it weren't for his desire to protect Mary; Mary's file was the only one Sherlock was asking for.

"And in the end,
The Love you take
Is equal to the Love you make"
                                             The Beatles

February 11, 2014 9:53 pm  #353

Tinks wrote:

Sherlock had no way out but to shoot CAM because he was too clever to be stopped through more law abiding ways?
I still think he (Sherlock) wouldn't have been driven to kill him if it weren't for his desire to protect Mary; Mary's file was the only one Sherlock was asking for.

I wonder, though, about the premise that Mary is now "safe" because of CAM's death. CAM had no file; he made a reference to "people he could call on." Those people are still out there somewhere, and there's a possibility of them either having instructions to do something if anything happened to CAM (because I can't believe CAM never thought of the possibility that one of his victims would try to kill him) or else those people wanting on their own behalf to avenge CAM's death and/or something Mary's done.

February 11, 2014 9:58 pm  #354

miriel68 wrote:

I found interesting what BC said during Apple Store Q&A: that S. shot M. because he was outsmarted by him. Yes, of course it was a sacrifice and he was thinking about John etc. etc. but I think B. is right about it: there is some dark motivation about what Sherlock did, as well.

Yes I agreee, Sherlock was desperate to win this game , he had everything on the line. What smarts couldn't do the gun did.
Sherlock had that plan anyway I think..asking John to bring the gun.

Interestingly this is the very reason Moriarty shot himself..to not loose the game.

February 11, 2014 9:59 pm  #355

Yep.

February 11, 2014 10:10 pm  #356

Tinks wrote:

See, this is the thing about the writing that drives me absolutley INSANE! 

On one hand-- series 3 had Sherlock finally learning to put others first; but then we're being told that he hasn't changed at all-- he shot CAM out of ego????

It's schizophrenic writing. 

(beats head on desk afew times)

Some writers need to seriously take their meds. 

(continues beating head on desk.)

February 11, 2014 10:19 pm  #357

RavenMorganLeigh wrote:

Tinks wrote:

On one hand-- series 3 had Sherlock finally learning to put others first; but then we're being told that he hasn't changed at all-- he shot CAM out of ego????

LOL

Sherlock now inputs emotional data which adds to the overall output?
 Hence bluescreening ( best man ask) and rebooting , aka pulling the plug out.
( malfunction due to human errors)

Last edited by lil (February 11, 2014 10:29 pm)

February 11, 2014 10:31 pm  #358

lil wrote:

RavenMorganLeigh wrote:

Tinks wrote:

LOL

Sherlock now inputs emotional data which adds to the overall output?
 Hence bluescreening ( best man ask) and rebooting , aka pulling the plug out.
( malfunction due to human errors)

Maybe he shorted out his brain. Yikes! ;-)

February 11, 2014 10:40 pm  #359

RavenMorganLeigh wrote:

LOL, I don't think so. These two motivations actually coexist and are perfectly in line with Sherlock's personality. Yes, he learnt to value the others (John) more then himself - but he really learnt it before, didn't it? In TGG Moriarty already knew that S. has "heart" and in TRF he was willing to risk his life in order to save his friends (jumping from a rooftop of a hospital is definitely NOT a safe thing to do, even with an air-cushion waiting for you). So, he definitely did it for John.Nevertheless his ego is just fine, thank you: to accept passively that he had been beaten by M. because of HIS OWN MISTAKE? Never. Not Sherlock we know.

February 11, 2014 10:56 pm  #360

miriel68 wrote:

RavenMorganLeigh wrote:

LOL, I don't think so. These two motivations actually coexist and are perfectly in line with Sherlock's personality. Yes, he learnt to value the others (John) more then himself - but he really learnt it before, didn't it? In TGG Moriarty already knew that S. has "heart" and in TRF he was willing to risk his life in order to save his friends (jumping from a rooftop of a hospital is definitely NOT a safe thing to do, even with an air-cushion waiting for you). So, he definitely did it for John.Nevertheless his ego is just fine, thank you: to accept passively that he had been beaten by M. because of HIS OWN MISTAKE? Never. Not Sherlock we know.

Well, even if Sherlock did shoot CAM to assuage his ego, which I doubt, I am confident that Mycroft will have led Sherlock to see the error of his ways, just as he did in SIB, and I would be prepared to wager folding money that Mycroft knew perfectly well what Sherlock's intentions were whilst sipping his punch. The drugs gave him plausible deniability; Mycroft wanted everything in CAM's vaults, as CAM was perfectly well aware, and 'saving Mary' was the cover story.

Of course, once the non-existence of the vaults had been established it went pear shaped...

Board footera