BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 8, 2014 4:39 pm  #321

Re: What Sherlock did...

I don't see why it has to be either/or and can't in fact be both.
I think Sherlock was always aware there was a chance that somebody may not survive the encounter.
But I do believe he broke and shot CAM.
But yes, he waited so that John would not be implicated.
Further, he let John know the reason he did it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

February 8, 2014 6:12 pm  #322

besleybean wrote:

I think Sherlock was always aware there was a chance that somebody may not survive the encounter.

The difficulty with this interpretation is that it reduces Sherlock to a mere appendage of John; he isn't. Even worse, it puts him into the position of Mary, who would kill anyone for John. That's her excuse for putting a bullet into Sherlock's chest, and for hunting him down with a loaded gun; she's doing it for John. She'll kill anyone for John; that's why Moftiss explicitly stated that she had to be stopped because the entire show would have consisted of a lethal killer nurse wandering around behind them shooting anyone she thought might pose a threat. Moftiss recognise that you could make a successful TV series about a psychopath who kills people because he thinks they deserve to be killed, but they are not going to do it because it's already been done.

Sherlock acts for complex reasons; the belief that he killed for John is antithetical to Canon because whilst Sherlock would have killed a man who had just killed Watson, he did not kill the man who wounded John. And whilst CAM has wounded John, he hasn't killed him. You want our Sherlock to act in a way that the original Sherlock wouldn't, and I don't accept that, not least because Moftiss are ACD fanboys who would never allow Sherlock to step over the line where Sherlock becomes the personification of all those Canonical stories about people who do dreadful things because of a twisted and perverted love. They've already given that role to Mary

February 8, 2014 6:16 pm  #323

Sorry, don't want to scroll that far back.
So you think Sherlock did it for?...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

February 8, 2014 6:27 pm  #324

Ozma wrote:

RavenMorganLeigh wrote:

One thing about that scene; he looked a lot like he knew his life was effectively over, after he pulled the trigger. The scene of Young Sherlock crying just ripped my heart out. 

But better he than John, is what he thinks.

Exactly. Again.

*******************************************************************************************************************
I haven't disappeared completely, I've just been busy writing

February 8, 2014 6:31 pm  #325

besleybean wrote:

Sorry, don't want to scroll that far back.
So you think Sherlock did it for?...

Well, you could start with Sherlock's explanation to John why he loathes CAM; admittedly John completely ignored it but I see no reason to believe that Sherlock was lying. Moving on from there we know that Sherlock has a client, Lady Smallwood, whose husband dies as a result of CAM's actions, assisted, of course, by Mary putting Sherlock out of action. Moving forward yet again we have Mycroft's briefcase providing CAM with his long sought for leverage over Mycroft, allegedly the most powerful man in the country, once the non-existence of the vaults is established.

In the great scheme of things CAM being nasty to John doesn't rank very high on Sherlock's priorities, or, at any rate, the Sherlock that ACD wrote...

February 8, 2014 6:40 pm  #326

Well I was thinking more of making Mary safe, which of course is what Sherlock said to John...
But yes, I take your point.

February 8, 2014 7:36 pm  #327

besleybean wrote:

Well I was thinking more of making Mary safe, which of course is what Sherlock said to John...
But yes, I take your point.

Oh, I agree entirely that Sherlock was making sure that any microphones around the place picked up no references from him to anything beyond the entirely personal, and most definitely not Lady Smallwood nor Mycroft, but I really don't think that Sherlock believes for one moment that Mary is safe now.

He may believe that a Mary who thinks she's safe is less likely to kill people, which is a definite plus point, but anyone with any sense must recognise that the people who want her dead aren't going to magically disappear; CAM's sources are still out there, and with CAM dead it is impossible to determine who those sources are. Particularly since John has oh, so intelligently thrown the memory stick on the fire. 

February 8, 2014 7:38 pm  #328

So it'll all be his fault AGAIN!

February 8, 2014 8:07 pm  #329

besleybean wrote:

So it'll all be his fault AGAIN!

Quite. I have to say that it frequently is John's fault; he really needs to work on that

February 8, 2014 8:09 pm  #330

He can be a bit of a goldfish!

February 8, 2014 9:01 pm  #331

Willow wrote:

besleybean wrote:

The difficulty with this interpretation is that it reduces Sherlock to a mere appendage of John; he isn't. Even worse, it puts him into the position of Mary, who would kill anyone for John. That's her excuse for putting a bullet into Sherlock's chest, and for hunting him down with a loaded gun; she's doing it for John. She'll kill anyone for John; that's why Moftiss explicitly stated that she had to be stopped because the entire show would have consisted of a lethal killer nurse wandering around behind them shooting anyone she thought might pose a threat. Moftiss recognise that you could make a successful TV series about a psychopath who kills people because he thinks they deserve to be killed, but they are not going to do it because it's already been done.

Sherlock acts for complex reasons; the belief that he killed for John is antithetical to Canon because whilst Sherlock would have killed a man who had just killed Watson, he did not kill the man who wounded John. And whilst CAM has wounded John, he hasn't killed him. You want our Sherlock to act in a way that the original Sherlock wouldn't, and I don't accept that, not least because Moftiss are ACD fanboys who would never allow Sherlock to step over the line where Sherlock becomes the personification of all those Canonical stories about people who do dreadful things because of a twisted and perverted love. They've already given that role to Mary

YES, YES, YES!!!!

February 8, 2014 10:03 pm  #332

Swanpride wrote:

I bet that Sherlock took a peek on the stick somewhere along the line. Just to make sure.

CAM was portrayed as very intelligent. Just because he made the connection between the old Mary and her new identity it doesn't mean that anyone else would. Who knows, perhaps he simply had a the information that she killed a certain person hidden away somewhere in his brain, just in case he needed to exchange it for favours at one point...and when he looked into pressure points for John, he recognized her.

I'm sorry but the world is full of very intelligent people; postulating that only super brainy CAM could make the connection doesn't work. Furthermore, it isn't just one event; CAM's Memory Palace file on her is quite large, and he refers to people in the plural who want her dead, not just an individual. We have already established that her new identity is flimsy, since Sherlock took it apart in not more than a couple of hours.

Now that the plane has turned back Mycroft cannot allow her to continue in close proximity to Sherlock because it destroys his security clearance, and Mycroft needs Sherlock to have a high level security clearance in order to work the case. Mycroft is extremely powerful but even he cannot override the obvious objections of his colleagues to have a known killer of foreign origin being cosy with Sherlock; something has to give...

February 8, 2014 10:10 pm  #333

But who else knows about Mary and couldn't Mycroft silence them?

February 8, 2014 10:33 pm  #334

besleybean wrote:

But who else knows about Mary and couldn't Mycroft silence them?

The people who provided CAM with his information know about her.

And the only way Mycroft could silence them would be illegal, and I can see no conceivable reason why Mycroft would engage in criminal acts to protect someone who almost killed his brother.  Why on earth should he?

February 8, 2014 10:35 pm  #335

There isn't much the secret service couldn't do, but yes whether they would choose to...is a different matter.
But Mycroft may do much to allow Sherlock to get on with his work.

February 8, 2014 10:51 pm  #336

besleybean wrote:

There isn't much the secret service couldn't do, but yes whether they would choose to...is a different matter.
But Mycroft may do much to allow Sherlock to get on with his work.

And that much certainly includes keeping a known killer of foreign origin and unknown motives well away from Sherlock; Mycroft is not sentimental and has undoubtedly met plenty of hired killers before now. He doesn't care whether she's sweet or bubbly or really, really loves John, or anything else; in Mycroft's world what matters are facts. And the facts are that she almost killed his brother and sees no reason why she shouldn't kill people if, in her view, they deserve it.

This is not the sort of person you want around the place, as Moftiss have noted. Lethal killer nurses do not bring added value to the Sherlock brand...

February 8, 2014 11:39 pm  #337

Mycrofts refusal to attend the wedding and his specific and strangely predictive warning to Sherlock on the phone, indicate to me Mycroft knows about Mary, and her connection to Magnusson already. Not to mention that information is Mycrofts job and he already has an interest in John/Mary and Magnusson before Sherlock even returns.
Either Mycroft has left Mary in place because it is somehow to his advantage.
Or Mycroft put her there in the first place.
Many reasons/arguments for either atm.

February 9, 2014 12:32 am  #338

Further, consider that the tidy way out of this (maybe too tidy for Moffit and Gattis), would be to sacrifice Mary: she dies in the process of doing something to bring down Magnussen, or kills herself along with him. And you could say she "earned" it, by being an assassin...TOO easy for this kind of series, I know.

Or, Mycroft just puts her in custody or protection of some sort. 

Or Mycroft and Sherlock and John just agree: Mary was an assassin, she doesn't deserve our protection, and Magnussen can't hurt us if we're not worried about protecting her. I still, after all this analysis, find it a bit weird that everyone is so concerned with protecting Mary, when there's so much at stake for the rest of them.

I'm not even sure that Magnussen's death solves the whole thing, because if he does have "people" he can call on, who is to say those people don't have information, or have instructions to do something to Mary if something happens to CAM?

February 9, 2014 12:42 am  #339

lil wrote:

Mycrofts refusal to attend the wedding and his specific and strangely predictive warning to Sherlock on the phone, indicate to me Mycroft knows about Mary, and her connection to Magnusson already. Not to mention that information is Mycrofts job and he already has an interest in John/Mary and Magnusson before Sherlock even returns.

Ah yes, is Mary the person Mycroft is paying to spy on Sherlock, as he tried unsuccessfully with John? If she was then Mycroft has even less willingness to lift a finger to help her; she betrayed him and she nearly killed Sherlock...

February 9, 2014 12:54 am  #340

Willow wrote:

lil wrote:

Ah yes, is Mary the person Mycroft is paying to spy on Sherlock, as he tried unsuccessfully with John? If she was then Mycroft has even less willingness to lift a finger to help her; she betrayed him and she nearly killed Sherlock...

Yes, and before that even , in becoming involved with John in the first place.
Which makes her either Johns potential bodyguard , or killer.
Seems obvious to me she didn't just randomly or coincidentaly wander into Johns life , she was still freelancing , hence part-time.
Q is for who.

Last edited by lil (February 9, 2014 12:57 am)

Board footera