BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 19, 2014 1:07 am  #241

Re: What Sherlock did...

Sherli Bakerst wrote:

I appreciate The Doctor's comparison--it offers something to think about--though I don't really think Sherlock is a religious experience; not for me, anyway.

That was the point I was trying to make - as our societies abandon religion, its people start looking for something to fill the void. You could also describe it as an attempt to re-establish irrationality in the age of rationality.

So, no, the Sherlock fandom is not religious. But it is searching for MEANING. In the past, religions and spiritual beliefs often fulfilled this function. Nowadays, it is more complicated.

January 19, 2014 1:12 am  #242

The Doctor wrote:

Sherli Bakerst wrote:

I appreciate The Doctor's comparison--it offers something to think about--though I don't really think Sherlock is a religious experience; not for me, anyway.

That was the point I was trying to make - as our societies abandon religion, its people start looking for something to fill the void. You could also describe it as an attempt to re-establish irrationality in the age of rationality.

So, no, the Sherlock fandom is not religious. But it is searching for MEANING. In the past, religions and spiritual beliefs often fulfilled this function. Nowadays, it is more complicated.

...maybe for a very few, but I seriously doubt that a significant proportion of the millions of people who watch it around the world are looking for any 'deeper meaning' other than "let's kill some time on a Sunday Night".

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.
Bigby: Wait, that doesn’t make se-
Coline: Just give me a drink, please.

January 19, 2014 3:45 am  #243

I'm not sure but I think when The Doctor says "searching for meaning," she's referring to the analysis we on this board (and other like-minded people elsewhere) engage in.  We discuss and dissect all aspects of the show ad infinitum and create all sorts of theories about it.  Which is not dissimilar to religious scholars examining in minute detail the core texts of their religions.  In both cases, we are striving to find The Meaning Of It All and take pleasure in the company of people who share the same interest.

Last edited by Sherli Bakerst (January 19, 2014 3:49 am)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.  -- Helen Keller

January 19, 2014 8:13 am  #244

I am sorry, I feel there is a vast difference between the two.
We are not dissecting a text we consider to be divinely inspired and a blueprinit for life.
I restate, we are more like arts ctitics.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 19, 2014 11:11 am  #245

besleybean wrote:

I restate, we are more like arts ctitics.

I like this idea but cannot help but notice how little we refer to established discourses of Arts, cultural studies, media studies etc - these fields have established theories and terminology that would mark as as (amateur)  art critics. If this would be the common shared ground for us, surely we would connect to existing debates in related fields here on the Sherlock board instead of re-inventing the wheel?

I have absolutely NO ISSUES with what we do and discuss on this board.

Several more canonical fans also post on more Doyle-dedicated message boards and yet this board has its own reason to exist. However, very few of us discuss lighting, colour schemes, camera angles, costume scripting, and other arty aspects here. Instead I observe debates regarding aesthetics (picture threads), of moral issues ('Sherlock would never do this', 'Why did Mary shoot', etc), community involvement (elimination games, trading for stories, etc), and yes, some worshipping (BC's voice and talent, MF's style and talent, etc). These are very basic issues and yet very loaded (note how we fight on this board, and validate or reject each other's opinion).

'The most obvious and frightening thing about popular culture is that it matters so much to its fans' (Grossberg 1992)

Of course, you can never (well, rarely) go wrong in discussing all things Doyle and indeed, BBC Sherlock!

January 19, 2014 11:21 am  #246

nicely said, Swanpride.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
..I've always assumed that love is a dangerous disadvantage. Thank you for the final proof...

January 19, 2014 11:29 am  #247

Swanpride wrote:

Don't forget that a lot of people here are not native speakers.

Indeed, this has an influence too, and I am constantly amazed how different the topics are on the Brazilian discussion board (just one example but geez, they are busy over there!).

By the way, English is my 5th language and it is immensly frustrating to not be able to express one's thoughts more precisely, which is why I tend to post quite rarely

Kudos to all those non-native speakers bravely entering this battlefield , you make the board what it is -

January 19, 2014 11:34 am  #248

Your English is better than that of many native speakers and I love your posts!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 19, 2014 11:38 am  #249

Anyone is free to open threads on scientifically/academically oriented subjects. But we should not forget that this a forum for fans some of which may not wish to discuss Sherlock on such a high theoretical level. And there should be fun for those who wish to play games, fangirl a bit, etc. or do all of this (like me).
Being a mod I wish to express that this forum should be for everyone and that people should not feel inhibited because they feel not able to express themselves well enough in English or feel not up to such discussions. And there are people who speak only one or two languages. 

Last edited by SusiGo (January 19, 2014 11:39 am)

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 19, 2014 11:38 am  #250

The Doctor

Actually, I would be delighted to discuss the costuming, if anyone else was interested. What people wear is fundamental to their character, which is why they have costume designers, but there also inferences about the plot which can be drawn from the clothing.

For example, Mary's coat is too small for her; the horizontal wrinkles which are very obvious on the views of her back are caused by the fabric riding up from her hips. One possible explanation for this, out of many, is that she was pregnant, on the basis that her abdomen has expanded since she bought the coat, but Sherlock gets there via a different route.

But I agree that quite a few people here focus on ethical questions; it seems to me, however, that questions of ethics and of morality are not questions of religion per se. When I say that Sherlock has sacrificed himself for others I am not doing so because I think he represents a religious figure or an abstract ideal; I say so because it seems to me, on the facts, that he has done so...

January 19, 2014 11:42 am  #251

Out of love.

January 19, 2014 11:42 am  #252

We should have a separate thread for costuming as this does is very interesting but does not belong in this topic. Please feel free to open one. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 19, 2014 11:58 am  #253

The Doctor wrote:

Swanpride wrote:

Don't forget that a lot of people here are not native speakers.

Indeed, this has an influence too, and I am constantly amazed how different the topics are on the Brazilian discussion board (just one example but geez, they are busy over there!).

By the way, English is my 5th language and it is immensly frustrating to not be able to express one's thoughts more precisely, which is why I tend to post quite rarely

Kudos to all those non-native speakers bravely entering this battlefield , you make the board what it is -

Oh, this is so sad! I am so terribly sorry for you, Doctor! Wait, where do you live.... in Australia? 
Best wishes from Germany - "battlefield"? Nah, I won't call it like that. What about "playground"? 

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

January 19, 2014 12:07 pm  #254

Mattlocked wrote:

"battlefield"? Nah, I won't call it like that. What about "playground"?

Ditto. As far as forum battles go I find this forum very calm and civilised. Hopefully it continue that way. :D

Part of the attraction is the opportunity to discuss the show with people from all around the world. It adds different perspectives.

January 19, 2014 12:10 pm  #255

I agree with you , belis, but I think The Doctor was referring to the difficulties with the foreign language.
Which I certainly have, but which can't stop me posting here.  One can only learn, right?

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

January 19, 2014 12:13 pm  #256

and this is really nice way to learn some more English 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
..I've always assumed that love is a dangerous disadvantage. Thank you for the final proof...

January 19, 2014 12:18 pm  #257

And we lazy Brits doff our caps to you all!

January 19, 2014 12:20 pm  #258

January 19, 2014 12:30 pm  #259

Mattlocked wrote:

I agree with you , belis, but I think The Doctor was referring to the difficulties with the foreign language.
Which I certainly have, but which can't stop me posting here. One can only learn, right?

Deffinitely. English isn't my first language either. I can understand pretty much everything what is said but my ability to express myself precisely sometimes comes short. What I meant is that I hope that those who aren't fluent will continue to post as it adds a lot to the forum. (I may be biased here since I'm not fluent myself lol).

January 19, 2014 12:37 pm  #260

You are perfectly correct.

Board footera