BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 3, 2012 7:17 pm  #21

Re: Secret Handshake Protocol

shenanigans, wow, your find about Turing and the poisoned apple. And the show being aired in the beginning of 2012, the 'Turing Year'!
The decoders of Bletchley Park have been mentioned before in Scandal, when they alluded to the Coventry dilemma.
One more thing to Prof. Grimm: if you go through the second document, shenanigans linked for us, you find, that he apparently touches safety issues of mobile devices in his teachings. He mentions, that iphones can be tracked and thus compromise the privacy of the carrier. Now think back again to 'Study in Pink' : The cabbie can be tracked by the 'mephone', the lady in pink planted on the cabbie, as Sherlock deduces so brilliantly in my favourite scene (it's a drug's bust), but only after Anderson turned the other way, lol! Now, it's quite possible, that someone like Prof. Grimm is an advisor for a show like this. I know university teachers, who were advisors for 'Star TreK' and loved it. It's pure speculation, but contacts like that are not so strange.

Last edited by sherlocked (April 3, 2012 9:26 pm)

May 29, 2013 8:59 am  #22

When Sherlock meets Moriarty in Kitty's flat Moriarty is really afraid of Sherlock. His behaviour on the steps looks totally genuine to me. What do you think?
Is he such a good actor? (I know Andrew Scott is.) Moriarty practically stumbles backwards and says
"Don't you touch me" Is it just because he is afraid of being punched? He points into Sherlock's direction. Reminds me of Claudette when Sherlock wants to talk to her.
We have seen this screeming-kid situation before with little Henry in Hounds.  Childhood trauma both.

May 29, 2013 2:22 pm  #23

Isn't the 'don't hit me' part just him playing the part of poor innocent Jim actor paid by Sherlock? Doesn't it also suggest that Sherlock has violent tendencies that, perhaps, he has already witnessed or been subjected to?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

May 29, 2013 2:27 pm  #24

Davina wrote:

Isn't the 'don't hit me' part just him playing the part of poor innocent Jim actor paid by Sherlock? Doesn't it also suggest that Sherlock has violent tendencies that, perhaps, he has already witnessed or been subjected to?

Looks like it.

September 13, 2013 11:02 pm  #25

(I posted this thought in another string...apologies if someone gets it twice)

I hypothesize you've hit the nail on the head when you say the rooftop Moriarty/Sherlock handshake is the pivot...but I suggest you've got the wrong "handshake" precedent.

How many times in this series have we collectively gasped at a handshake?  There have been several  (including the assassin handshakes you point out...) but the BIG ONE was the final one in Scandal between Sherlock and Irene.

Sherlock moves in close, takes her hand, and says softly, "I took your pulse."  (Right? How could we forget? *swoon*)

SO... on the rooftop, first time Sherlock is on the ledge and asks for a moment of privacy, Moriarty must think, "What is Sherlock up to?"  but he says "Of course" because it's all a game and he wants to see SHerlock's next move.  However, he turns with a smirk that says he doesn't care how clever Sherlock is, gravity is gravity. But Sherlock laughs and Moriarty nearly screms "What did I miss?"  Sherlock tells Moriarty he can save his friends and not kill himself. 

And the writers set us up for the handshake:  "You want me to shake hands with you in Hell?  I shall not disappoint you."

THIS is when Moriarty gets a terrible notion of how Sherlock can save his friends and live, that Sherlock is going to fake his own death. To confirm his theory, Moriarty very, very pointedly offers his hand to Sherlock....

AND TAKES HIS PULSE.    Bam.  Sherlock already has no pulse through some mechanism.   

Moriarty realizes that he's been beaten.  That's why Moriarty kills himself and Sherlock proceeds with his plan to fake his own suicide.

M: Tradition, John. Our traditions define us.

Harry: ...And Mr. Holmes, the younger.  You look taller in your photographs.
SH: I take the precaution of a good coat and a short friend.

November 11, 2013 12:25 am  #26

teaEarlGrayhot wrote:

And the writers set us up for the handshake:  "You want me to shake hands with you in Hell?  I shall not disappoint you."

THIS is when Moriarty gets a terrible notion of how Sherlock can save his friends and live, that Sherlock is going to fake his own death. To confirm his theory, Moriarty very, very pointedly offers his hand to Sherlock....

AND TAKES HIS PULSE.    Bam.  Sherlock already has no pulse through some mechanism.   

Moriarty realizes that he's been beaten.  That's why Moriarty kills himself and Sherlock proceeds with his plan to fake his own suicide.

I have heard this theory about Sherlock having no pulse when he shakes hands with Sherlock.  It doesn't make sense to me why Moriarty would proceed to kill himself having realized " he's been beaten."  Regardless of no pulse in that moment-sherlock still has to do the fall.  Gravity kills and If I was Moriarty being a witness to this fall would be paramount to me and I would want to be alive to see it- to confirm Sherlock's death and that no trickery was involved and then If I did see Sherlock fake his death I would contact the assassins and have them complete their orders. 

I don't understand how having no pulse at that moment beats Moriarty?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sherlock Holmes, "Perfectly sound analysis but I was hoping you'd go deeper."

November 11, 2013 3:31 pm  #27

[No spoilers express or implied, I'm just theorizing...]

My thought is: Keep in mind that both these characters are like top chess players; they only make their move knowing what the next five or ten moves will be.  They know their opponent is doing the same.  So, to Moriarty, if Sherlock has no pulse, standing on the roof of St. Barts, then Sherlock must have figured-out a way to fake his suicide.  If Sherlock can and will fake his death, then all of Moriarty's moves up to that point, to cause Sherlock to kill himself, have been a mistake on Moriarty's part. 

M: Tradition, John. Our traditions define us.

Harry: ...And Mr. Holmes, the younger.  You look taller in your photographs.
SH: I take the precaution of a good coat and a short friend.

Board footera