BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 17, 2014 8:22 am  #161

Re: Sherlock's love for John

belis wrote:

I wouldn't be too harsh on him. Aside for the fact that he was preoccupied by the whole thing with Mary I don't think it was particularly obvious that there was something seriously wrong with Sherlock. It's not that uncommon for fit, young people to carry on the verge of circulatory collapse for quite a while not looking to bad and than suddenly collapse in a heap when they finaly decompensate. This sort of mistake is made quite commonly in hospitals.

But Sherlock LOOKED bad, so bad in fact that even mrs Hudson said "you look terrible" as soon as she saw him. And John is not only a doctor, but a military doctor, as was reminded here, so he knows more than an average med about wounds. Even if in the first moment he could be too shocked and grieved by his "domestic problem", when Sherlock sits down, he is barely able to talk and it is obvious that he is on the verge of collapsing.

belis wrote:

In hinsight he probably wished that he have kept a bit of a closer eye though considering that Sherlock just went AWAOL from hospital after major abdominal surgery.

Indeed . Although, to be fair, I don't think Moftiss intended to create this impression of Watson here: it is probably just one of this situations when script acquires different implications that those intended.

Cleanshaven Doctor wrote:

To give an example, there is this scene when Sherlock and John are sitting on that benche waiting for Bainbridge to come off duty. Sherlock sits perfectly still, hands folded (...)  When John starts to talk about his forthcoming wedding and that won't alter anything Sherlock shifts in his seat and moves his hands

I love this scene and I think BC acting in it is superb: he is such a master in conveying emotions thanks to subtle body language. However, it is just one more motive for my being pissed with our dear doctor in HLV. "nothing will change"? And at the beginning of the next episodes he declares that he hasn't seen Sherlock "for ages" (=a month). Really? He didn't even bother to pay one occasional visit to Bakerstreet in a MONTH? And then he gets angry at Sherlock at Barths and says that SHERLOCK could have called if he had problems?

January 17, 2014 8:57 am  #162

I see a lot of hints here in various threads that the development of the series is most welcome. But in this thread I have a bit of a feeling that this is not so very welcome concerning John, on whose moral guidelines we could rely for eight episodes. He has a lot to sort out and in my opinion this is more complex than being the good-balanced buddy all the time, making right decisions just out of thin air.

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

January 17, 2014 9:36 am  #163

mrshouse wrote:

I see a lot of hints here in various threads that the development of the series is most welcome. But in this thread I have a bit of a feeling that this is not so very welcome concerning John, on whose moral guidelines we could rely for eight episodes. He has a lot to sort out and in my opinion this is more complex than being the good-balanced buddy all the time, making right decisions just out of thin air.

I agree completely. To me at least John's moral compass seems to be way off balance in episode nine.

January 17, 2014 1:21 pm  #164

miriel68 wrote:

But Sherlock LOOKED bad, so bad in fact that even mrs Hudson said "you look terrible" as soon as she saw him. And John is not only a doctor, but a military doctor, as was reminded here, so he knows more than an average med about wounds. Even if in the first moment he could be too shocked and grieved by his "domestic problem", when Sherlock sits down, he is barely able to talk and it is obvious that he is on the verge of collapsing.

I suppose the problam with that is when you see a lot of very ill people you get a bit desensitised to that. What looks 'terrible' to a lay person becomes 'another day at the office' for you. Majority of patients that look horrible don't end up going off. Plus I suppose there is a good reason why we are always told not to treat friends and familly. It does cloud your judgement considerably.

I'm making excuses for him really. Probably for two reasons. One, in my headcanon he is neither incompetent not negligent so I want to give him benefit of the doubt. Two I have been cought out by patients in that way myself so I feel more sympathetic.

January 17, 2014 3:16 pm  #165

But John was thinking about quite different things; he was wrapping his head around Sherlock replacing his chair, fascinated by the perfume, and oblivious to Mrs Hudson who was obviously freaked out by the fact that he didn't respond to her telling him that Sherlock was calling him.

And doctors do not conduct diagnoses by asking patients whether they feel all right, or whether they are OK; they observe. If they are good doctors they observe very, very carefully; Conan Doyle based Sherlock Holmes on a real doctor who was noted for his remarkable diagnostic skills based on his very, very careful observations.

Of course most GPs are not familiar with gunshot wounds and ensuing complications, but Dr Watson has no such excuse; he spent quite a lot of his life in places where it was only too frequent. So there has to be something powerful enough to completely switch off all of the trained responses; about the only way I can think of is that John's personality is close to disintegration. He has been deceived by Sherlock, and now he is discovering that he has been deceived by Mary; he is losing the self-esteem which he built up slowly over the course of the first season.

His marriage is a fake and he doesn't even know whether the baby is his; it's probably just as well that there isn't an all powerful ring in his pocket because he's in danger of going Gollum. It should be fascinating to watch him rebuild himself in the next season...

January 17, 2014 3:26 pm  #166

Willow wrote:

His marriage is a fake and he doesn't even know whether the baby is his; ...

This seems a bit over the top to me. Of course he is disappointed, angry, desperate. He feels betrayed. AGAIN.
But the marriage a fake and the baby not his? No.

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

January 17, 2014 3:41 pm  #167

mrshouse wrote:

Good point. We see Sherlock show so many facets of his character and much development and at the same time want John to stay the same throughout the episodes? We should accept that Sherlock's absence and Mary have changed the dynamics between them which does not mean that they will not get closer sometime in the future.

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 17, 2014 4:03 pm  #168

What, why should he doubt the baby's paternity?

January 17, 2014 4:12 pm  #169

Mattlocked wrote:

Willow wrote:

His marriage is a fake and he doesn't even know whether the baby is his; ...

This seems a bit over the top to me. Of course he is disappointed, angry, desperate. He feels betrayed. AGAIN.
But the marriage a fake and the baby not his? No.

Well, as a question of law, the marriage is a fake; there are legal requirements for both parties to disclose their true legal identities. John has disclosed truthfully but Mary has lied about herself. The law of England and Wales does not provide an exception to that requirement for the benefit of putatively retired foreign assassins with fake identities.

You may be convinced that the baby is John's; I have no view either way. But John must have asked himself that question; if she has lied about everything else why should he trust her on this?

January 17, 2014 4:28 pm  #170

Um.

January 17, 2014 4:34 pm  #171

But it's a difference if you think you've been betrayed regarding past, name and things - or love.
I understand that "lying is lying" and one may assume that everything was a big lie. But still....

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

January 17, 2014 4:47 pm  #172

Mouse wrote:

For my part, I kinda hope we get to see John do something big for Sherlock next series. Sherlock has been the one doing all the big stuff lately (jumping off a roof, pulling John out of a fire, killing a guy for John and his family). I know John's already done a lot for Sherlock, but I think he's due.

Yes; I think my perception of John's personality disintegrating is a reaction to your very valid point. Otherwise it's difficult to see why John was idiotic enough not to notice that his best friend was bleeding to death in front of him

January 17, 2014 5:10 pm  #173

Swanpride wrote:

Since the pregnancy was not planned, is not just a matter of believe, but also of likelihood. After all, they certainly did take the usual measures. If they failed, it is way more likely that they failed when they were together - even if John were inclined to believe that Mary cheated on him. And I don't think that he is.

The truth is, Mary has nothing to gain from marrying John, quite the opposite because the act puts her on the radar of Sherlock and in extension Mycroft. The only thing she gets is John himself - and apparently she considers the risk worth it.

On the contrary; Mary used her marriage to John to snuggle up to CAM's PA. All of those hours schmoozing together with her chief bridesmaid were presumably designed to give her access to CAM so she could kill him.

If all that Mary wanted was to marry John then a quick trip to the Registry Office would have done the job; instead she used it quite coldbloodedly to get her access to something she wanted, and what she wanted was the death of another human being...

January 17, 2014 5:12 pm  #174

Am I the only person who thinks Mary genuinely loves John?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 17, 2014 5:24 pm  #175

I just don't think everything is so complicated. She loves John like any other loving wife in the world loves her husband, nothing more nothing less. Thinking about it, maybe she loves him even more because he represents stability, a new future, the possibility of a normal life. The only problematic thing there is that she's an ex-assassin who's worked hard for years to erase her past. But her relationship with John - I think it's completely ordinary in the best possible way.

January 17, 2014 5:38 pm  #176

shezza wrote:

I just don't think everything is so complicated. She loves John like any other loving wife in the world loves her husband, nothing more nothing less. Thinking about it, maybe she loves him even more because he represents stability, a new future, the possibility of a normal life. The only problematic thing there is that she's an ex-assassin who's worked hard for years to erase her past. But her relationship with John - I think it's completely ordinary in the best possible way.

Most normal relationships do not involve one party totally deceiving the other party, and most normal relationships do not involve the willingness of one party to kill anyone they perceive as a threat to the relationship.

In my view it is far closer to the sort of obsession which drives bunny boilers; she will continue to feel threatened because there are plenty of people out there with very good reason to hate her, which means in turn that she will continue to react in a violent manner to anything she perceives as a threat. This is not exactly a recipe for a happy home life...

January 17, 2014 5:54 pm  #177

Ah, dunno.

The way I see it, the moment she assumed Mary Morstan's identity, Mary relegated her whole past to the memory stick. She started an ordinary life, found a job as a part-time nurse, got an account on Twitter and had at least one other relationship before she met John, who, without Sherlock's influence, was a quite ordinary doctor in his late thirties. Things progress, their bond intensifies and at some point both of them realise that there's simply no one else who could replace the other, because at some instinctual level they both sense there's more than meets the eye behind their ordinary personas. Then John decides to propose and it's all going very normally, ordinarily, until Sherlock - tada - reappears.

Had Sherlock not returned, Mary's secret would have been safe - there was literally no reason for re-opening that stinky can of worms in front of John. You have a perfect life, a secret that could potentially ruin it and absolutely no reason for taking that risk apart from some dubious "ethic" obligation. She probably did wonder a lot of times if she should tell John, maybe even wish she could, but she was clearly not ready to risk losing everything that was dear to her, and can you blame her?

Then Sherlock returned and everything went to hell in a handbasket.

January 17, 2014 5:58 pm  #178

Do we think the baby made a difference?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 17, 2014 6:06 pm  #179

Probably the pregnancy only strengthened her resolve to kill Magnussen but I think she had been planning it since the events in TEH.

January 17, 2014 6:23 pm  #180

shezza wrote:

Ah, dunno.

The way I see it, the moment she assumed Mary Morstan's identity, Mary relegated her whole past to the memory stick. She started an ordinary life, found a job as a part-time nurse, got an account on Twitter and had at least one other relationship before she met John, who, without Sherlock's influence, was a quite ordinary doctor in his late thirties. Things progress, their bond intensifies and at some point both of them realise that there's simply no one else who could replace the other, because at some instinctual level they both sense there's more than meets the eye behind their ordinary personas. Then John decides to propose and it's all going very normally, ordinarily, until Sherlock - tada - reappears.

Had Sherlock not returned, Mary's secret would have been safe - there was literally no reason for re-opening that stinky can of worms in front of John. You have a perfect life, a secret that could potentially ruin it and absolutely no reason for taking that risk apart from some dubious "ethic" obligation. She probably did wonder a lot of times if she should tell John, maybe even wish she could, but she was clearly not ready to risk losing everything that was dear to her, and can you blame her?

Then Sherlock returned and everything went to hell in a handbasket.

Interesting. Do you think she decided to kill CAM the moment John was kidnapped? Or had he blackmailed her even earlier? I am still thinking about the exact moment she knew he was going to blackmail her and if she understood that Mycroft was his real target. Is Sherlock's return the trigger because now CAM sees his chance of leverage against Mycroft via Sherlock, John, and Mary?

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

Board footera