BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 15, 2014 6:40 pm  #121

Re: Sherlock's love for John

lil wrote:

The scene where they confronted Mary...was very intense...where John and Sherlock stare at each other and John says desperately. ?.."She wasn't supposed to be......' I thought he was going to say you!
Thoughts anyone...?

Also the love /bromance was blazingly obvious on Sherlocks side this series....but I thought lacking on Johns part throughout. He seems so reserved...idk especially after everything Sherlock has done for him.
The tarmac scene Sherlock was beautiful but John just seemed awkward.

Hope the relationship evens out more next series because I feel a little let down by John.

I've seen several similar statements but I think John's behavior was both understandable and in character.

1.  Fact, John is very reserved.  He freely admits it.
2. After what he's been through since TRF, Sherlock coming back and then what happens with Mary I have no problem seeing him holding back a bit.

But let's not forget the overwhelming love and affection John showed for Sherlock in The Sign of Three.  Front and center for all the world to see. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

January 15, 2014 6:49 pm  #122

tonnaree wrote:

lil wrote:

The scene where they confronted Mary...was very intense...where John and Sherlock stare at each other and John says desperately. ?.."She wasn't supposed to be......' I thought he was going to say you!
Thoughts anyone...?

Also the love /bromance was blazingly obvious on Sherlocks side this series....but I thought lacking on Johns part throughout. He seems so reserved...idk especially after everything Sherlock has done for him.
The tarmac scene Sherlock was beautiful but John just seemed awkward.

Hope the relationship evens out more next series because I feel a little let down by John.

I've seen several similar statements but I think John's behavior was both understandable and in character.

1.  Fact, John is very reserved.  He freely admits it.
2. After what he's been through since TRF, Sherlock coming back and then what happens with Mary I have no problem seeing him holding back a bit.

Yes I don't think its a problem per se, just different before , all those stares at Sherlock like he was awesome..and brilliant!  Amazing! comments.. his impulsive reactions and jaw dropping face...he was more of an open book back then.
I think I miss some of that.
But yes prob holding back a bit protecting himself.
But let's not forget the overwhelming love and affection John showed for Sherlock in The Sign of Three.  Front and center for all the world to see. 

January 15, 2014 6:49 pm  #123

Marva wrote:

... not yet at least. If you want to know why I think so although John is straight: http://aspennielle.tumblr.com/post/73386469655/the-best-and-most-romantic-way-of-describing

That is just...everything! =)

January 15, 2014 6:55 pm  #124

They are perfect for each other, but they don't need sex with each other.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 15, 2014 6:59 pm  #125

besleybean wrote:

They are perfect for each other, but they don't need sex with each other.

Yeah, adding to what I said previously (I can see there's love), it can be more... seNsual than seXual, if you get me...

❈-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------❈
The only respect that opinions deserve is their free questioning.  

January 15, 2014 7:01 pm  #126

Not really, care to clarify?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 15, 2014 8:22 pm  #127

I don't know if the word "sensual" has the same meaning here and there, but what I mean is that, aside from the pure love in all of its forms that I think Sherlock feels for John (not the other way around, sadly); there might be a shred of sensual attraction, not sexual. Sensual as in "has more to do with senses": Desire to hear, desire to see, desire to touch, to smell, but not neccesarily in a sexual way.

❈-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------❈
The only respect that opinions deserve is their free questioning.  

January 15, 2014 8:30 pm  #128

I think Sherlock is happy to hear and see John...
I also think John loves Sherlock in the same way.

January 15, 2014 10:47 pm  #129

This is a Johnlock observation.  There is a bit during the client mary scene, (1:00:00)when Mary turns to John and says (something along the lines of) "And you married me, because he's right, you like that."  It sounds more like resignation.

It looks like it's only just dawned on her that John was drawn to both of them.  And if he was drawn to her enough to fall in love and marry her, then exactly how deeply was he drawn to Sherlock.  She sort of looks resigned after that.  Like she's just realised that John may be in love with Sherlock, and now she has fallen from grace, Sherlock now has the upper hand.

Just looks like there is a lot more in those few seconds - it also looks like John is totally unaware of the deductions Sherlock and Mary are making.  This is most likely because it's just in my head.  LOL

Mxx

Last edited by Mirthxx (January 15, 2014 11:04 pm)

January 15, 2014 11:01 pm  #130

LOL basically the only legit sensual thing I've seen Sherlock do has been wrapping his hand around Irene's wrist. Totally hot moment, btw.

January 15, 2014 11:09 pm  #131

yeah, I actually prefer the second one when they are with Mycroft and he leans forward to whisper in her ear.

Mxx

January 15, 2014 11:15 pm  #132

Mirthxx wrote:

yeah, I actually prefer the second one when they are with Mycroft and he leans forward to whisper in her ear.

Mxx

Ah, totally. He was definitely and ruthlessly playing the game in that moment. Sherlock would be such a perfect Don Juan. What a waste 

January 15, 2014 11:19 pm  #133

Wtih regards to the actual show.  I think the current status quo between them satisfies us all.  The moments of love can be interpreted by most parties.  Those who like the BFF can read as aired, johnlockers can read more into it (some scenes easier than others) and those who want Sherlock to high functioning sociopath can read manipulation into it.  Bearing in mind that some people are having trouble with a slightly more 'feely' Sherlock, I can't see them ever creating a relationship more than it is and I'm fine with that.  I like that everyone gets something from it. 

It's not just thier relationship that keeps me tuning in afterall.  Its the slickness of the show, the deep characters and the cases as well.  On a personal level I like to see Sherlock showing humanity, and he always looks so vulnerable when he does it that you (well I) can see the reason why it doesn't come easy to him.  I also like to see John being appreciated.  He's a very special man, and I like when that gets noticed.

Mxx

January 15, 2014 11:20 pm  #134

Mirthxx wrote:

This is a Johnlock observation.  There is a bit during the client mary scene, (1:00:00)when Mary turns to John and says (something along the lines of) "And you married me, because he's right, you like that."  It sounds more like resignation.

It looks like it's only just dawned on her that John was drawn to both of them.  And if he was drawn to her enough to fall in love and marry her, then exactly how deeply was he drawn to Sherlock.  She sort of looks resigned after that.  Like she's just realised that John may be in love with Sherlock, and now she has fallen from grace, Sherlock now has the upper hand.

Just looks like there is a lot more in those few seconds - it also looks like John is totally unaware of the deductions Sherlock and Mary are making.  This is most likely because it's just in my head.  LOL

Mxx

I think the fact that everybody praised Mary for at the beginning - her being so open and encouraging about their relationship, trying to push them together and not separate them - like John's other girlfriends had wanted to do - was essentially because she was working hard at not putting herself in a position of antagonism towards Sherlock, exactly because she knew how important he was to John, and essentially because she sort of 'replaced'him, effectively, and she doesn't want to risk John going back on his decision.

As in, now that Sherlock's back you won't need me anymore to make your life full.

She was lucky in this that Sherlock had screwed up so badly that John was scared to get close to him again quickly.

But she knew very well that in order to keep John with her she couldn't possibly look like she was trying to distance him from Sherlock; by showing her support towards their friendship she made sure she kept her prominent role in John's life, and made sure that John didn't start overlooking her in favour of Sherlock (like he'd always done previously in his life).

January 15, 2014 11:23 pm  #135

shezza wrote:

Mirthxx wrote:

Mxx

Ah, totally. He was definitely and ruthlessly playing the game in that moment. Sherlock would be such a perfect Don Juan. What a waste 

Yeah, he was ruthless, but oh it makes you just stand still and watch when he leans in and whispers in that voice *shivers*  He may not play the game - but by god he knows the rules.  With his skills he can be whatever you need him to be.

Mxx 

January 15, 2014 11:29 pm  #136

Ozma wrote:

Mirthxx wrote:

Mxx

I think the fact that everybody praised Mary for at the beginning - her being so open and encouraging about their relationship, trying to push them together and not separate them - like John's other girlfriends had wanted to do - was essentially because she was working hard at not putting herself in a position of antagonism towards Sherlock, exactly because she knew how important he was to John, and essentially because she sort of 'replaced'him, effectively, and she doesn't want to risk John going back on his decision.

As in, now that Sherlock's back you won't need me anymore to make your life full.

She was lucky in this that Sherlock had screwed up so badly that John was scared to get close to him again quickly.

But she knew very well that in order to keep John with her she couldn't possibly look like she was trying to distance him from Sherlock; by showing her support towards their friendship she made sure she kept her prominent role in John's life, and made sure that John didn't start overlooking her in favour of Sherlock (like he'd always done previously in his life).

No, it was because Mary genuinely is like that.  She likes adventure and danger.  She wasn't acting, she was just being who she was.  Which was why John fell for her in the first place.

It wasn't an elaborate ruse to make people trust her.  Two people with like-minded interests fell in love isn't exactly an earth-shattering revelation.

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.
Bigby: Wait, that doesn’t make se-
Coline: Just give me a drink, please.

January 15, 2014 11:29 pm  #137

I look at Sherlock and John as love, but not in the conventional sense. Not in a sexual way, not in a sensual or romantic way, more in the kind of way Sherlock loves Redbeard. That's not me saying Johns a dog (not at all!) but john is the dependable constant, his rock if you will. He looks to John to steady his emotional ship. He is more of a brother to him than Mycroft, or at least gives Sherlock everything Mycroft hasn't.

Sherlock, as we saw in HLV, is far more emotionally complex than has ever been revealed before. He was clearly bullied by Mycroft, he clearly lost the one thing that didn't judge him (Redbeard) and, for all he has said and done in the past, he made a promise to John. He made his own vow on that wedding day and he never promises anyone. John matters THAT much.

The other thing I observed was Sherlock's excellent ability - despite being on the verge of death a second time - to mediate between John and Mary.

Sorry I'm rambling along here

I'm clueing for looks

January 15, 2014 11:33 pm  #138

Ozma wrote:

Mirthxx wrote:

Mxx

Thing that I wonder about is how she would have reacted if John had got in trouble while out and about with Sherlock.  He got kidnapped, but not while he was with Sherlock on a case, and she was in on his rescue.  With her skill set, I wonder if she could have waited for Sherlock and SY to bring John home from say a hostage situation, when she knows she could walk in there and kill everyone to get John back, would she have??  Like a masked vigilante.  I find the prospect interesting, but guess we will never know now.

Yes, I think she knows Sherlock has to be part of John's life.  That (with her silence on her self) she can't offer John the 'fix' he needs from Sherlock.  And maybe she understands that 'fix'.  In the corridor behind the house facade, Sherlock says 'You must have missed it' and I think she must have too.   I was surprised tho - when John said he hadn't seen Sherlock in a month, would have thought it would be more often than that.  Even though he was undercover in the drug dens.... although I've just realised that if he was using, that's why he didn't call John in on the case before hand.  Duh!  Bit slow on that bit.  LOL.

Thing is, I think Sherlock remembered she helped.  When Sherlock finds his seat, before Mary moves to the clients seat, he gives a slow subtle nod to her and I swear that says 'My turn, I'll talk him round'

Mxx

January 15, 2014 11:35 pm  #139

clareiow wrote:

I look at Sherlock and John as love, but not in the conventional sense. Not in a sexual way, not in a sensual or romantic way, more in the kind of way Sherlock loves Redbeard. That's not me saying Johns a dog (not at all!) but john is the dependable constant, his rock if you will. He looks to John to steady his emotional ship. He is more of a brother to him than Mycroft, or at least gives Sherlock everything Mycroft hasn't.
)

I do see your point; but I think that Sherlock's love/connection/whatever you want it to be (though at this point and after this series I seriously call it love - agape - the unconditional kind) to John runs way deeper than that of a brother; and this is because you can have more than one brother, but there is only one John for Sherlock.

He's his soulmate, the only person that gets him, knows how to handle him, and completes him.  And this is why I also see in Sherlock a degree of attraction to John - not in a sexual way, but as the fascinated, infatuated feeling that comes with knowing that the person can give us something we need to live.

January 15, 2014 11:43 pm  #140

clareiow wrote:

Sherlock, as we saw in HLV, is far more emotionally complex than has ever been revealed before. He was clearly bullied by Mycroft, he clearly lost the one thing that didn't judge him (Redbeard) and, for all he has said and done in the past, he made a promise to John. He made his own vow on that wedding day and he never promises anyone. John matters THAT much.

The other thing I observed was Sherlock's excellent ability - despite being on the verge of death a second time - to mediate between John and Mary.

Sorry I'm rambling along here

As far as I'm concerned, ramble away.  LOL.  Yeah, thats what I mean by John being a special person.  He passes every test and Sherlock can depend on him - I don't think he's ever had that.  Someone he can trust and depend on no matter what.  Even when John tattles on him (see drug testing and searches) Sherlock just takes it, when he never has before. 

Going back to the pool scene when it looks like John is Moriaty for that one second he first steps out of the stall - I think Sherlock believes it for that nanosecond because part of him has been expecting to be let down.  I think Sherlock's walls break down gradually over the years, and now he's realised that John's never going to fail him, there are no walls left.  He has the utmost faith in John, because he's earned it.  I dread to think what would happen if John did fail him at any time, it might just break him.....and now I'm rambling.

Mxx

Board footera