BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 14, 2014 9:13 pm  #61

Re: Sherlock's love for John

How can anyone (ok, who isn't a Johnlocker) think Sherlock said that in a romantic way?? There's something like friendship, and they can love each other just as friends, and nothing more. 

The Road goes ever on and on...

January 14, 2014 9:19 pm  #62

Deilenn wrote:

How can anyone (ok, who isn't a Johnlocker) think Sherlock said that in a romantic way?? There's something like friendship, and they can love each other just as friends, and nothing more. 

I am on the fence here, but I do think that the beauty of this show - and of being free to discuss it here- is that everybody sees it through different eyes and has different ideas which they are free to pursue. You don't have to like what doesn't work for you 

January 14, 2014 9:26 pm  #63

But we have to accept the writers' vision and not impose ours.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 14, 2014 9:28 pm  #64

Ozma wrote:

Deilenn wrote:

I am on the fence here, but I do think that the beauty of this show - and of being free to discuss it here- is that everybody sees it through different eyes and has different ideas which they are free to pursue. You don't have to like what doesn't work for you 

I know and I agree I still thought it was quite obvious that Sherlock's not confessing his love for John in this was some people think, haha ;]

The Road goes ever on and on...

January 14, 2014 9:32 pm  #65

besleybean wrote:

Why should we accept the solely writers' visions?
As far as I remember Moffat said the other day that the viewers were free to interpret the script because "I'm just the writer."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

January 14, 2014 9:35 pm  #66

besleybean wrote:

Bingo

January 14, 2014 9:38 pm  #67

tobeornot221b wrote:

besleybean wrote:

Why should we accept the solely writers' visions?
As far as I remember Moffat said the other day that the viewers were free to interpret the script because "I'm just the writer."

Agreed. And who are we imposing it on?

Everybody should be able to take away what they want from the show and think what they want.

There is no right or wrong answer....

January 14, 2014 9:41 pm  #68

Well it's not a quiz show.
It is Mark and Steven's vision of the Sherlock Holmes stories.

Last edited by besleybean (January 14, 2014 9:41 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 14, 2014 9:41 pm  #69

But isn't it beautiful what they DON'T say to each other? That's one of the many things I love about this show, the dialogues, especially Moffat's, are so full of subtext that they almost become non-sequtars. 

Honestly, if you want on-the-nose dialogues, watch a soap opera. I prefer a little more intelligence in the writing departement. 

January 14, 2014 9:43 pm  #70

silverblaze wrote:

But isn't it beautiful what they DON'T say to each other? That's one of the many things I love about this show, the dialogues, especially Moffat's, are so full of subtext that they almost become non-sequtars. 

Honestly, if you want on-the-nose dialogues, watch a soap opera. I prefer a little more intelligence in the writing departement. 

Agreed.

@besleybean - I meant there is no wrong or right answer in regards to what everybody should like or think.

January 14, 2014 9:45 pm  #71

See, I still find that difficult.
Everybody is free to have their own vision...but they can't impose that on sombody else's.

January 14, 2014 9:46 pm  #72

Exactly! Don't you see what's happening here?

January 14, 2014 9:50 pm  #73

This is what does happen:
3 writers write stories and characters a certain way.
They hand the product over to actors who perform them in a certain way.
A director films this, in a certain way.

None of them blunder around thinking : who am I and what am I doing?

January 14, 2014 9:51 pm  #74

no. Maybe we are not talking about the same thing.

I just meant - everybody in the audience can take away what they want from it and what they like.

January 14, 2014 9:51 pm  #75

Deilenn wrote:

Ozma wrote:

Deilenn wrote:

I know and I agree I still thought it was quite obvious that Sherlock's not confessing his love for John in this was some people think, haha ;]

The thing is, and I know I'm not the only one, that I wasn't a Johnlocker. I was open to the idea 'cause well, it could be. Many adaptations have a gay Sherlock, so yeah why not.
But I didn't see that "love" that others saw. John was happy dating girls and Sherlock had no interest in love whatsoever (except to put it in a test tube).
It's just NOW, this season over, that I begin to seriously consider the possibility. 'Cause it's there. You don't throw your life away, all that you've ever known, going to death itself for just a friend you'll never see again. I mean, you do not commit murder, you find another way. And even less being Sherlock Holmes, king of Confusing Inextricable Paths.
So yeah... that pretty sums it up xD I didn't see it then, but I can see it now.

Anyway as my signature says, an opinion is not valid just for being an opinion. You can't impose it (most of the time, I think there are exceptions), but you can question it.

Last edited by Amy Airiel (January 14, 2014 9:53 pm)

❈-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------❈
The only respect that opinions deserve is their free questioning.  

January 14, 2014 9:55 pm  #76

I love your signature.
But for the writers, actors and directors of this show: their vision is not opinion, it is fact for BBC Sherlock.

Last edited by besleybean (January 14, 2014 9:56 pm)

January 14, 2014 9:57 pm  #77

see? this is why it's interesting.

Imagine if we all thought the same. Or even worse, if we had no opinion at all.

HLV was a really challenging episode to watch for me, but thanks to this forum I was able to hear many different points of view and expose myself to theories and ideas that I hadn't even thought aboutm and that has been really good for me.

Isn't this great?

January 14, 2014 9:58 pm  #78

I found Empty Hearse the most challenging of the series.

January 14, 2014 10:00 pm  #79

Amy, I've made a somewhat similar experience. I've been a johnlocker, but only in terms of fanfic etc. This is the first time I actually see it on screen. As I stated before somewhere: I would have bought it if Sherlock had confessed his (romantic) love at the airplane.

The Game is On!

January 14, 2014 10:00 pm  #80

there you go. All different opinions, and all interesting to hear (for me, at least )

Board footera