BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 14, 2014 11:39 am  #41

Re: Sherlock's love for John

Marva wrote:

As to the extend of which Sherlock's feelings for John are reciprocal I am not sure yet but I'd like to quote MadLori's tumblr post on that, as she can put things much better into words than I can:

"Okay I just rewatched that goodbye scene, and…

I think it plays as nothing more than John working very hard to keep himself in check.  He can barely look at Sherlock.  He keeps looking away, looking around.  It also strongly implies that John doesn’t know Sherlock doesn’t think he’ll be returning.  It’s Sherlock who says that they’ll never meet again, but up to that point, John was like “so what then?” as in “when will you be back?”

When Sherlock offers his hand, John just stares at it for a moment, fidgeting, like “really?”  But he takes it, he accepts the mercy shake.

This entire series has been one long guilt-ridden apology from Sherlock to John, and one long quest by John to protect himself from having his heart broken again by Sherlock."

(http://madlori.tumblr.com/post/73171672938/okay-i-just-rewatched-that-goodbye-scene-and-i)

Exactly mirrors my thoughts on the 'goodbye scene' upon rewatching it. Beautifully put, thanks for bringing this to our notice!
John is on soldier mode at that moment, doing his best to keep his emotions in check.
When Sherlock says to Mycroft that he wants to speak to John alone, since it is most likely the last conversation they are ever going to have, John first looks distressed and then swallows hard.

Last edited by the_dancing_woman (January 14, 2014 11:42 am)

------------------------------------------------------------------

"When you walk with Sherlock Holmes, you see the battlefield" M.H.

"My brother has the brain of scientist or a philosopher, and yet he elects to be a detective...what might we deduce about his heart?" M.H.

"Home is now behind you, the world is ahead."

January 14, 2014 12:13 pm  #42

I just found this on tumblr and it almost made me cry...

everyone on my dash is screaming “HE WAS SO GOING TO SAY HE LOVED HIM” , but he did say that, weren’t you paying attention?
Sherlock and John don’t communicate the way “normal” people do - how could they? One is an adrenaline junkie who seeks out bullets even after one left a web of dead cells on his shoulder and the other introduces himself as a “high functioning sociopath” to protect himself from his own emotions (because his childhood pet died - I’m crying into eternity over that.)
So what did we see?
He took his glove off when he shook John’s hand, he offered his name, full name, to be theirs - remember how John hates his name, but “gives” it whilst Sherlock is, to his eyes, flirting with Irene? 
He shot a man. He shot a man. In the head. Point blank, no regrets. He shot a man for John Watson. He jumped in a fire for John Watson. He jumped off a roof for John Watson. 
He helped pick out the colour for the bride’s maid’s dresses for John Watson. He wrote that best man’s speech for John Watson. He saved “the most unsociable man he’s ever met” for John Watson. 
He moved John’s chair because he couldn’t bear to see it vacant. (or for Janine to sit in it? It’s John’s after all.)
He got bloody engaged to ensure John’s wife was fine.
He relapsed.
He fucking bought himself back into consciousness with the thought “John Watson is in danger” after being shot.
He let John choose if he wanted Mary to stay. He only told John “six months”, so he wouldn’t worry him, because that’s not on - John can’t worry, because John Watson is his top priority. 
He knew he was going to his death so he made that joke about his name so he would see John Watson smile.
He did all that fully knowing that while John is his pressure point, he is not John’s. 
If that’s not an “I love you”, than, my dear fandom, I don’t know what more do you want.

(http://dudeufugly.tumblr.com)

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

January 14, 2014 12:23 pm  #43

This is beautiful. I think am just going to have a cry in the corner. Thank you so much, Solar. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 14, 2014 12:27 pm  #44

Wow... what a collection of reasons, Solar. Leaves me breathless... tears in my eyes... and I'm not a Johnlocker at all.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

January 14, 2014 12:33 pm  #45

There are so many beautifully written metas that dissect every second of interaction between John and Sherlock out there. Couple of my favourites have been posted here already. I feel really sorry for the people who don't see it. As I've said before,you need to put that show through the Subtext Translator.
Kudos to actors for showing that subtext.

January 14, 2014 12:38 pm  #46

Agree. Agree with all of you.

And especially this:

Marva wrote:

This entire series has been one long guilt-ridden apology from Sherlock to John, and one long quest by John to protect himself from having his heart broken again by Sherlock."

(http://madlori.tumblr.com/post/73171672938/okay-i-just-rewatched-that-goodbye-scene-and-i)

I am, actually, crying. Think I am going to go hide in the loo.

January 14, 2014 12:48 pm  #47

Ozma wrote:

Agree. Agree with all of you.

And especially this:

Marva wrote:

I am, actually, crying. Think I am going to go hide in the loo.

Have to watch it again later. Concentrate on the details much more.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Tony Hadley)

January 14, 2014 1:56 pm  #48

SusiGo wrote:

This is beautiful. I think am just going to have a cry in the corner. Thank you so much, Solar. 

And I think I need to print this out and stick it onto my fridge door.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

January 14, 2014 2:04 pm  #49

SolarSystem wrote:

SusiGo wrote:

And I think I need to print this out and stick it onto my fridge door.

Good(!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) idea!

(Tony Hadley)

January 14, 2014 2:34 pm  #50

this is brilliant and hilarious: http://loudest-subtext-in-television.tumblr.com/post/73279319380/johnlock-sherlocks-feelings-for-john-episode-by

EDIT: Maybe we should start a whole new thread for all the metas?

Last edited by Marva (January 14, 2014 2:35 pm)

The Game is On!

January 14, 2014 4:16 pm  #51

SolarSystem wrote:

I just found this on tumblr and it almost made me cry...

everyone on my dash is screaming “HE WAS SO GOING TO SAY HE LOVED HIM” , but he did say that, weren’t you paying attention?
Sherlock and John don’t communicate the way “normal” people do - how could they? One is an adrenaline junkie who seeks out bullets even after one left a web of dead cells on his shoulder and the other introduces himself as a “high functioning sociopath” to protect himself from his own emotions (because his childhood pet died - I’m crying into eternity over that.)
So what did we see?
He took his glove off when he shook John’s hand, he offered his name, full name, to be theirs - remember how John hates his name, but “gives” it whilst Sherlock is, to his eyes, flirting with Irene? 
He shot a man. He shot a man. In the head. Point blank, no regrets. He shot a man for John Watson. He jumped in a fire for John Watson. He jumped off a roof for John Watson. 
He helped pick out the colour for the bride’s maid’s dresses for John Watson. He wrote that best man’s speech for John Watson. He saved “the most unsociable man he’s ever met” for John Watson. 
He moved John’s chair because he couldn’t bear to see it vacant. (or for Janine to sit in it? It’s John’s after all.)
He got bloody engaged to ensure John’s wife was fine.
He relapsed.
He fucking bought himself back into consciousness with the thought “John Watson is in danger” after being shot.
He let John choose if he wanted Mary to stay. He only told John “six months”, so he wouldn’t worry him, because that’s not on - John can’t worry, because John Watson is his top priority. 
He knew he was going to his death so he made that joke about his name so he would see John Watson smile.
He did all that fully knowing that while John is his pressure point, he is not John’s. 
If that’s not an “I love you”, than, my dear fandom, I don’t know what more do you want.

(http://dudeufugly.tumblr.com)

^ THIS!

*curls in a corner to cry* 

January 14, 2014 4:39 pm  #52

He was not going to say that.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 14, 2014 4:42 pm  #53

besleybean wrote:

He was not going to say that.

what?

The Game is On!

January 14, 2014 4:52 pm  #54

' I love You'.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 14, 2014 4:53 pm  #55

How can you be sure?

The Game is On!

January 14, 2014 5:46 pm  #56

I'm sure Sherlock absolutely loves and adores John and their friendship is the most important thing in the world to him but as someone quite new to the online fandom I just don't see anything romantic/sexual there. It's love of the purest, most selfless and loyal kind, the type probably only exceptional people like Sherlock (a somewhat sociopathic genius with the heart of a child) can feel.

January 14, 2014 8:57 pm  #57

I think Sherlock is in love with John, love in all its different meanings. It doesn't have to be anything based on sex, but I do believe that there is room for romantic love .
And what breaks my heart is that the more human Sherlock gets, the more confident and vulnerable (as we have seen this season); the colder John Watson is ('cause he's bracing himself, or that I thought at the beginning). He said "nothing will change" and did not see Sherlock in a month. When Sherlock tells him abour Mary we can see Sherlock going up the stairs in 221B, clearly to faint, and John doesn't even look at him. 

So we 've gone from the last thing John says before he dies being "of course I forgive you" to an insensitive "we're losing you" and "I really cannot think of a thing to say." I know John does not love Sherlock back, not even close to. I also believe that Sherlock knows that it's John, it will always be John, but cannot fathom "why".

And. John. If you accidentally marry a murderess that intentionally shoots your best friend in the stomach in cold blood, and kills him (as he only survived thanks to mental effort) and then your best friend sacrifices his life to save all of you, the woman who shot him in and your unborn child to make sure you and your family escape the mortal danger that she has put you in, you really might want to think about his motivations.

Not a handshake and problem solved.

❈-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------❈
The only respect that opinions deserve is their free questioning.  

January 14, 2014 9:00 pm  #58

shezza wrote:

I'm sure Sherlock absolutely loves and adores John and their friendship is the most important thing in the world to him but as someone quite new to the online fandom I just don't see anything romantic/sexual there. It's love of the purest, most selfless and loyal kind, the type probably only exceptional people like Sherlock (a somewhat sociopathic genius with the heart of a child) can feel.

yes  but you are assuming that he would have said I love you as in, I am in love with you.

He surely could have said it like you say it to your best friend. I am not saying they should have put it in the script, but it doesn't mean that if they did it could only have been in a romantic, 'Let's kiss and make love' way...

Last edited by Ozma (January 14, 2014 9:01 pm)

January 14, 2014 9:05 pm  #59

But he'd already told him he loved him at the wedding.

January 14, 2014 9:08 pm  #60

Yes. But I was just saying - that if he said it it didn't necessary had to be in a romantic/sexual way.

I agree that it would have been nice but it wasn't needed.

Board footera