BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 13, 2014 9:23 pm  #21

Re: Sherlock's love for John

No, I think you misunderstood me - I wasn't talking about Johnlock happening or not

I just said that the line at the end, with Sherlock fooling all of us into thinking he was going to say I love you, was a pisstake from Mofftiss.

Like Besleybean said - it didn't need to happen again.

January 13, 2014 9:29 pm  #22

yes but that's it exactly. Sherlock didn't say it- if because Mofftis were trolling us again or for whatever reason. But the thing is that for me, maybe not for you or anybody else, it would have been believable in that situation. Therefore I could picture it on the show, which never happened before, too. This is of course no indication that it will eventually happen, but for my subjective feeling it is possible.

The Game is On!

January 13, 2014 9:36 pm  #23

Of course Sherlock loves John, and it's a incredibly self-less love that I can't think of any comparion to.
He puts Johns happiness above everything, including his own life.

I don't belive that Mary 'spared' Sherlock, she meant to kill him. She would have killed him in the empty house had he not protected himelf by projecting her face on it. The only reason that he says 'enough to hospitalise me, not enough to kill me', is because he knows that John is listening to him, and he needs John to forgive Mary because Sherlock believes that is what will make him happy.  He wants John to know what she is, he pulled himself back from the dead so that he could tell him and have him know what he has married. But he does believe Mary loves John (which I think is very true) and he wants them to stay togeather for Johns sake. 

I also think that the reason he didn't want them going into his bedroom was because Johns chair was in there. I don't think he would have cared about Janine being found in there; he since has never cared what anyone thought of him. But he does try to conceal how much he loves John, not least because he thinks that is what is  best for John.

January 13, 2014 9:43 pm  #24

I don't think Sherlock hides his love for John at all and no, it was Janine he was trying to hide.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 13, 2014 9:43 pm  #25

Marva wrote:

yes but that's it exactly. Sherlock didn't say it- if because Mofftis were trolling us again or for whatever reason. But the thing is that for me, maybe not for you or anybody else, it would have been believable in that situation. Therefore I could picture it on the show, which never happened before, too. This is of course no indication that it will eventually happen, but for my subjective feeling it is possible.

I understand. But I think it wouldnt have worked; Sherlock saying 'I love you', and than what? John saying it back? It would have been soppy..

January 13, 2014 9:44 pm  #26

well, that's another question, but a pointless one because it didn't happen.

The Game is On!

January 13, 2014 9:45 pm  #27

Yes. Back to topic!

January 13, 2014 10:00 pm  #28

Ozma wrote:

Marva wrote:

I understand. But I think it wouldnt have worked; Sherlock saying 'I love you', and than what? John saying it back? It would have been soppy..

I'm convinced that Sherlock WAS going to say "I love you" but he got cold feet

January 13, 2014 10:44 pm  #29

I consider this as likely, too

The Game is On!

January 13, 2014 10:52 pm  #30

OK. I agree. John was expecting it - watch it again. There is almost 'hope' in his eyes as he looks at him and waits for his answer.

I wonder what John would have done if Sherlock had confessed right there and then

January 13, 2014 10:59 pm  #31

Mrs. Watson wrote:

Ozma wrote:

Marva wrote:

I'm convinced that Sherlock WAS going to say "I love you" but he got cold feet

Me, too. But he knows that John finds emotional scenes difficult. Maybe he simply didn't have the courage to say it-- and I suspect he may not be sure of John's feelings for him. John was failry distant this episode. 

January 13, 2014 11:05 pm  #32

And I go one step further: I was even thinking that Sherlock's explanation of his name being female is nothing less than offering himself to John, like: I know you're straight, but I could even be female for you (figuratively).

The Game is On!

January 13, 2014 11:14 pm  #33

Marva wrote:

And I go one step further: I was even thinking that Sherlock's explanation of his name being female is nothing less than offering himself to John, like: I know you're straight, but I could even be female for you (figuratively).

haha. we're going on a whole other level!

But interesting, and I like it.

Poor Sherlock

January 13, 2014 11:26 pm  #34

And "Hello?" why did Sherlock speak to John I'm the drug den? Had he remained silent he would have stayed undetected. Feeling lonely anyone?

January 13, 2014 11:33 pm  #35

I think he just thought John was looking for him...

January 14, 2014 3:29 am  #36

I just watched HLV again and it really made me cry when Sherlock kills Magnussen and says "Give my love to Mary".
Also the farewell scene at the airport. The look in his eyes is so sweet!
And as someone suggested in Tumblr, he definitively had cried before Mycroft called him.

January 14, 2014 6:39 am  #37

Having rewatched the episode yesterday, I have to say I really don't see John and Sherlock drifting apart at all, I think their friendship stays as strong as ever.
And, yes, it is full of moments in which Sherlock's love for John is quite obvious.
But it is also equally obvious that John can't be without Sherlock. Just the opening scene where he first dreams of Sherlock and then wakes up extremely frustrated with his peaceful life after just a month (!) without any Sherlock related adventures. I love how grumpy John gets there.

As far as Sherlock is concerned the best moments in my eyes are when we are inside his mind palace and he makes the decision to live on for John's sake, I was really moved when he fought his way back upstairs, and the one with John right before he gets on the plane, the look in his eyes... Loved those two scenes.

------------------------------------------------------------------

"When you walk with Sherlock Holmes, you see the battlefield" M.H.

"My brother has the brain of scientist or a philosopher, and yet he elects to be a detective...what might we deduce about his heart?" M.H.

"Home is now behind you, the world is ahead."

January 14, 2014 6:39 am  #38

Must look for that next time.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 14, 2014 8:40 am  #39

Mrs. Watson wrote:

I just watched HLV again and it really made me cry when Sherlock kills Magnussen and says "Give my love to Mary".
Also the farewell scene at the airport. The look in his eyes is so sweet!
And as someone suggested in Tumblr, he definitively had cried before Mycroft called him.

Yep, his eyes are red. He definitley had cried.

As to the extend of which Sherlock's feelings for John are reciprocal I am not sure yet but I'd like to quote MadLori's tumblr post on that, as she can put things much better into words than I can:

"Okay I just rewatched that goodbye scene, and…

I think it plays as nothing more than John working very hard to keep himself in check.  He can barely look at Sherlock.  He keeps looking away, looking around.  It also strongly implies that John doesn’t know Sherlock doesn’t think he’ll be returning.  It’s Sherlock who says that they’ll never meet again, but up to that point, John was like “so what then?” as in “when will you be back?”

When Sherlock offers his hand, John just stares at it for a moment, fidgeting, like “really?”  But he takes it, he accepts the mercy shake.

This entire series has been one long guilt-ridden apology from Sherlock to John, and one long quest by John to protect himself from having his heart broken again by Sherlock."

(http://madlori.tumblr.com/post/73171672938/okay-i-just-rewatched-that-goodbye-scene-and-i)

The Game is On!

January 14, 2014 9:10 am  #40

I agree, Marva. Another well-written article on that topic can be found here: http://prettyarbitrary.tumblr.com/post/73245286084/how-there-is-no-pining-sherlock-and-john-isnt-picking
"This entire series has been one long guilt-ridden apology from Sherlock to John, and one long quest by John to protect himself from having his heart broken again by Sherlock." That's a very interesting quote. I think, I can believe that to be true. It reminds of TSOT, when Sherlock says "We wouldn't do that to John Watson", knowing that he's already done it - suicide - to John Watson. So much guilt there.

Last edited by Hera (January 14, 2014 9:12 am)

Board footera