BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 13, 2014 8:07 pm  #1

Sherlock's love for John

This series, and especially this episode, had been so full of Johnlock feelings that I'm afraid that my heart will burst.

I understand that John and Sherlock are not and will never be in a romantic relationship... well, they will be but only in my dreams and hundred of fanfics. But even acknowledging that I can't help feeling that Sherlock loves John so much that it hurts. 

First, he not only accepted Mary but he was nice to her even when (apparently) he already suspected her not to be all that she said she was. He did it for John, because he loved her and (I think) because he was tankful because Mary "talked him around".

Then he did everything to be the most perfect best man in the history of weddings. Why? Because he wanted that day to be perfect for John. 

And now he killed a man and was willing to go to jail not to protect John's life (Magnussen wasn't a murderer) but to protect his happiness. If that isn't true love (romantic, platonic, whatever tyou want to call it) I don't know what it is.

I would like to hear your thoughts about this subject... I need to hear (read) your thoughts! I'm deseperate and need to share all this with someone. Pleeeeease!!

January 13, 2014 8:13 pm  #2

Re: Sherlock's love for John

The way I see it, Mary has nothing to do with how Sherlock feels for John. She was a catalyst for some things to be said and done, but anything Sherlock does, he does for John.

If John turned around and said to him that he was unhappy in his married life, Sherlock wouldn't try and talk him around only because Mary would suffer.

What I am trying to say is, yes, Sherlock loves him very, very much, and needs him, because John is part of him now (as shown when Sherlock was hearing his voice in his head, and in this very episode when we learn that he doesn't take care of the flat etc) - at the moment the situation is a little unbalanced though because John has other things to think about.

Sherlock is, at the moment, just like their flat: half empty.

But I am here to say, that 221B cannot be the same without both of them in it, and the current situation is only temporary.

January 13, 2014 8:18 pm  #3

I like your comparison of Sherlock being like a half empty flat.
Nicely put!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

January 13, 2014 8:21 pm  #4

Yes, that is very apt. And I love how they are playing with the furniture as symbols. First Sherlock's empty chair in TRF, then John's empty chair in TSoS, now the vanishing and returning chair in HLV. 
And I hope and think that one day (hopefully in series 4) Sherlock and John will be living together in 221B again (as in Canon). 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 13, 2014 8:22 pm  #5

SusiGo wrote:

Yes, that is very apt. And I love how they are playing with the furniture as symbols. First Sherlock's empty chair in TRF, then John's empty chair in TSoS, now the vanishing and returning chair in HLV. 
And I hope and think that one day (hopefully in series 4) Sherlock and John will be living together in 221B again (as in Canon). 

I think they will.

January 13, 2014 8:28 pm  #6

I agree and I loved this scene when Moriarty's mention of John (that he is in danger) gets Sherlock to fight for his life after being shot, it showed how much important is John for him and he cares for him, he truly fulfils his vow

The Road goes ever on and on...

January 13, 2014 8:33 pm  #7

Deilenn wrote:

I agree and I loved this scene when Moriarty's mention of John (that he is in danger) gets Sherlock to fight for his life after being shot, it showed how much important is John for him and he cares for him, he truly fulfils his vow

I think it shows that John is really the only thing that matters to Sherlock.

Moriarty mentioned other people - even his parents- and he didn't so much as flinch.

January 13, 2014 8:39 pm  #8

Ozma wrote:

Deilenn wrote:

I think it shows that John is really the only thing that matters to Sherlock.

Moriarty mentioned other people - even his parents- and he didn't so much as flinch.

Yes! That. I forgot to mention that (I'm at work so get distracted). He came back from death for John!! 

And someone mentioned in Tumblr that Sherlock moved John's chair because he couldn't stand seeing it empty... and I cried 

January 13, 2014 8:41 pm  #9

Ozma wrote:

SusiGo wrote:

I think they will.

When Sherlock said don't go in my bedroom - I thought it was because the chair was in there.  LOL - How wrong was I !!

and yes, Sherlock half empty hits the nail on the head.  I couldn't think of a more apt description.

Mxx

January 13, 2014 8:46 pm  #10

Who would have thought we could all have such emotional attachment to a bloody chair?!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 13, 2014 8:50 pm  #11

besleybean wrote:

Who would have thought we could all have such emotional attachment to a bloody chair?!

LOL - well not just the chair - it has to have the union jack cushion on it as well !!!!

I think it's the way Sherlock looks at it before the wedding - especially with the tea that Hudders put next to it  - talking about setting a scene and the fact that by taking it away when Sherlock was alone in the flat, and putting it back when he thought John would be back - it has somehow become the symbol of John's rightful place.  Chair in it's rightful place, John in his rightful place.  *grin*

Mxx

January 13, 2014 8:52 pm  #12

Also, may we add that Sherlock lives alone now. He needed a flatmate before, he doesn't know?

January 13, 2014 9:03 pm  #13

Ozma wrote:

Also, may we add that Sherlock lives alone now. He needed a flatmate before, he doesn't know?

He has a flatmate - it's just that the flatmate mistakingly thinks he's married to someone else.  *grin*
Silly John.

Mxx

January 13, 2014 9:05 pm  #14

Well, but currently this flatmate is living somewhere else..

Sherlock doesn't live with anyone...

January 13, 2014 9:10 pm  #15

That was one of the saddest lines, when Mrs H says to Sherlock: you've alway lived alone...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 13, 2014 9:12 pm  #16

Thank you for this thread!

I was also surprised by the amount and intensity of johnlock moments. I even consider it possible now, that johnlock will actually happen on screen one day (not displayed with hot French kisses, of course).

Why?

1. During the goodybe scene at the airport I really thought Sherlock would confess his love. And for me, this would have been believable in this situation. I know this is highly subjective, but after all the sacrifices, the chair and everything, I would have believed it. And therefore it could also be possible at a later time.

2. Mofftis lie. Always.

The Game is On!

January 13, 2014 9:14 pm  #17

Marva wrote:

1. During the goodybe scene at the airport I really thought Sherlock would confess his love. And for me, this would have been believable in this situation. I know this is highly subjective, but after all the sacrifices, the chair and everything, I would have believed it. And therefore it could also be possible at a later time.

yes, but that was exactly what Mofftiss wanted, to lure us into another trap - it was another little pisstake.

this is not to say that Sherlock doesn't love him - just to say that another confession of love wasn't really needed.

January 13, 2014 9:16 pm  #18

Sherlock's told John exactly what he feels for him.
Why do it again?

January 13, 2014 9:19 pm  #19

Ozma wrote:

Marva wrote:

yes, but that was exactly what Mofftiss wanted, to lure us into another trap - it was another little pisstake.

this is not to say that Sherlock doesn't love him - just to say that another confession of love wasn't really needed.

I am not saying that it will happen, only that it could happen. And with love I mean love, like not in platonic love .

The Game is On!

January 13, 2014 9:22 pm  #20

That isn't going to happen.

Board footera