BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 18, 2014 4:14 pm  #41

Re: Psychopath

Well as for me I have to stick to my old theory because the awful way John writes about Sherlock in his blog ever in season 3 is proof to me that he is twisting the facts. I mean, in his blog entry in TEH:

... At first, I didn't really welcome him back into my life. I couldn't. I mean I know he's a psychopath and I've accepted that but what he did this time, it was too much. So I ignored him and got on with my life. But God, it was dull ...

And in HLV...

"Is everyone I've ever met a psychopath??" (read: Oh God I've fallen for another psycho!!) Where does that line come from anyway? Why does he have to drag Sherlock in this discussion? And why compare a murderer like Mary with Sherlock unless he thinks of him the same?

For me there is too many overwhelming evidence that John is warping the truth and overlooking the obvious.

EDIT: And speaking of "ticking boxes" what things in  do you think would've helped John to realize the truth by going through the mental health checklist? And how would you think he'd explain away all the iconic psychopathic traits (Superficial charm, Grandiose sense of self-worth and arrogance, Need for stimulation/ proneness to boredom, Disregard for social norms and rules, Adept ability to lie and manipulate, Lack of empathy for others)  Sherlock seems to possess which I mentioned in my earlier posts? Sherlock doesn't seem to have only few but all the hallmark traits of a psychopath. Do you really think he'd be assured with the news that some people have psychopathic traits and are actually not psychopaths? But like in case of Sherlock if anyone does posses all the traits of a psychopath then s/he is diagnosed a psychopath. That's the basic premise of the model. And speaking of psychopathy I'd argue that John's angst is actually because of the traits that in his mind Sherlock clearly posseses. Like how he does not feel things, how he does not care about people or how he left John to mourn in vain those two years and how he made a joke out of it. And I don't think any checklist or diagnosis can make him forget these pain. And even if sherlock does not diagnose as a psycho he's still a heartless bastard in the eyes of John as evidenced by his blog and the show. And when he calls him a psycho that's what he actually means. John's romantic feelings just added another level of pain and angst to the mix.

Anyways, since you mentioned that John will have to tick some himself which one do you think would they be? I could hardly select two out of the six. 

And most importantly if John is really consciously assured of Sherlock's sanity why does he say and writes that he's a psycho? I'm just trying to figure out that why you don't think much of the practically awful things John accuses of Sherlock and what do you think are his reasons. And why are you directly disregarding the things Moffar said specifically about Sherlock's sociopathy being an intentional misunderstanding in favor of his remark on The Princess Bride which actually was not used to allude to Sherlock's sociopathy?

Last edited by tykobrian (August 18, 2014 4:45 pm)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Series arc of Sherlock | Clues to #johnlock being endgame | My fav Sherlock blog

August 18, 2014 5:44 pm  #42

Okay-- here's a very weird take on this: Suppose John sees Sherlock as the "psychopath" because, in reality--*he's* the one worried about those characteristics in his own personailty? 

Superficial charm? John is actually a master of it, though he doesn't actually care much more than Sherlock does. Keep in mind he didn't speak to Mrs. Hudson for TWO YEARS. He only dropped by to tell her about his marriage ("I'm NOT GAY!"). He knows how he's supposed to act, how he's supposed to feel-- and he's good at acting that out-- but he can't keep his girlfreinds straight, he has no problem enabling his wife to live a lie, he's adept at hiding his own feelings from himself-- he carries an illegal firearm, giggles at crime scenes, has no problem shooting an unarmed man to death and then joking about it, gets off on spraining Billy Wiggins, has a tendency to explode in violence. 

Something else-- John's hurt, his pain at The Fall, his rage and betrayal about Mary-- it's about him, his sense of being duped. He felt made a fool of by Sherlock, that's why he beat the holy heck out of him. He didn't seem to be that upset that Mary shot Sherlock, just that she wasn't what he thought she was-- and in some ways, she was to be a cover to aid him in presenting a "normal", "sane" life. I don't even think it's conscious. Which is why, "WHY IS EVERYTHING ALWAYS--MY--FAULT???" 

"Because you chose her."

So maybe John needs to see Sherlock as The Psychopath, because it helps him not have to own up to his own dysfunctional personality

Another thought: Sherlock does read John's blog. If you had a "Colleague!" who spoke about you on his blog the way John does of Sherlock, would YOU think that your death, even a suicide would damage that freind as much as we go on about Sherlock's Fall "breaking" John? Wouldn't you be suprised if that same person called you their "best freind"?

I'll be honest; I doubt very much that either John or Sherlock are psychopaths, or even Sociopaths-- Moffitss' has been clear about that as regards Sherlock. I think Sherlock is simply protecting himself, because he's over-sensitive. All those off-the-cuff comments hurt. Think about how everything that has ever hurt him was waiting in his mindpalace to torment him when he was on the brink of death in HLV. 

Another thought: If John never acknowledges that Sherlock is human, that he has feelings that can be easily hurt-- he doesn't ever have to look at his own feelings for the man. If you have a character how is.. okay, I'll just say it, homophobic (as terrified of the stigma) he may have very rigid ideas of what constitutes an appropriate relationship between men; which is why he cleaves so tightly to the signifiers, "mates", "blokes", "colleagues". And now--"best freinds." 

Sherlock is not a sociopath. 

John isn't, either-- though he may be worried about it. 

Moriarty is, and Mary most likely is, as well. 

August 18, 2014 5:54 pm  #43

I just wanted to say that this is a really interesting take on the topic, Raven. Well done!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

August 18, 2014 6:01 pm  #44

@RavenMorganLeigh Your make some good points.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Series arc of Sherlock | Clues to #johnlock being endgame | My fav Sherlock blog

August 18, 2014 6:54 pm  #45

Schmiezi wrote:

I just wanted to say that this is a really interesting take on the topic, Raven. Well done!

((BLUSH!!!!)) 

(ducks head) Thanks! 

August 18, 2014 6:59 pm  #46

tykobrian wrote:

@RavenMorganLeigh Your make some good points.

Thank you! (blushing)

August 18, 2014 7:04 pm  #47

May I join in the praise?

Although I have one objection: What about John's words at the grave about the "most human human being"? 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

August 18, 2014 7:17 pm  #48

Lots of questions! Bear with me ... (don't worry, I love answering questions)

tykobrian wrote:

Well as for me I have to stick to my old theory because the awful way John writes about Sherlock in his blog ever in season 3 is proof to me that he is twisting the facts. I mean, in his blog entry in TEH:

... At first, I didn't really welcome him back into my life. I couldn't. I mean I know he's a psychopath and I've accepted that but what he did this time, it was too much. So I ignored him and got on with my life. But God, it was dull ...

And in HLV...

"Is everyone I've ever met a psychopath??" (read: Oh God I've fallen for another psycho!!) Where does that line come from anyway? Why does he have to drag Sherlock in this discussion? And why compare a murderer like Mary with Sherlock unless he thinks of him the same?

For me there is too many overwhelming evidence that John is warping the truth and overlooking the obvious.

Well, I'm not really disagreeing with you there.  I think it could well be the way you say it is.  But it shows a very unpleasant side of John, and it would take quite a bit of effort on John's part to make himself believe that.   That doesn't sit comfortably with me. 

I think the way John uses "psychopath" above is just a colloquial use rather than a medical/legal/"official" use.  The way people might use it to describe somebody possibly dangerous, as an insult.  Apart from Mary's previous profession and the fact that she lied about it, there's no evidence that she's a psychopath.  Even then, she's in a similar position to somebody in a witness protection programme.  One big lie for self-protection is not the same thing as pathological lying. 

EDIT: And speaking of "ticking boxes" what things in  do you think would've helped John to realize the truth by going through the mental health checklist? And how would you think he'd explain away all the iconic psychopathic traits (Superficial charm, Grandiose sense of self-worth and arrogance, Need for stimulation/ proneness to boredom, Disregard for social norms and rules, Adept ability to lie and manipulate, Lack of empathy for others)  Sherlock seems to possess which I mentioned in my earlier posts? Sherlock doesn't seem to have only few but all the hallmark traits of a psychopath. Do you really think he'd be assured with the news that some people have psychopathic traits and are actually not psychopaths? But like in case of Sherlock if anyone does posses all the traits of a psychopath then s/he is diagnosed a psychopath. That's the basic premise of the model. And speaking of psychopathy I'd argue that John's angst is actually because of the traits that in his mind Sherlock clearly posseses. Like how he does not feel things, how he does not care about people or how he left John to mourn in vain those two years and how he made a joke out of it. And I don't think any checklist or diagnosis can make him forget these pain. And even if sherlock does not diagnose as a psycho he's still a heartless bastard in the eyes of John as evidenced by his blog and the show. And when he calls him a psycho that's what he actually means. John's romantic feelings just added another level of pain and angst to the mix.

I think the main thing that would have alerted John is that it's impossible to give Sherlock a psychopath's score on the checklist (I googled it).  Being arrogant doesn't make you a psychopath.  Lying doesn't make you a psychopath.  Etc.  Average non-criminals score 5 (so the average person does have some psychopathic traits). Non-psychopathic criminals score around 22.  Psychopaths score 30 - 40.  When I tried scoring Sherlock as I saw him he scored maybe 3.  I tried to bump it up (as John might do) and could maybe get it an 8, possibly slightly more.  So yes, I think John would be reassured if he went through it.  Sherlock clearly fails the psychopath test

On top of that, John sees a lot of very non-psychopathic qualities in Sherlock.  He can be humble, caring, etc.  Joking at the reunion - well, John jokes about serious things too (impossible to be such a dick all the time, the other is a complete dickhead, etc. - can't remember the exact quotes, but that's how he shows his feelings for Sherlock).  That's what they do.  At the takeaway, Sherlock says how much he wanted to get in touch with John, with a catch in his voice and emotion clearly showing in his face.  I agree that John sees less than we do, but he still can see the "real" Sherlock.  Again, not disagreeing that John might make himself think badly of Sherlock, but saying that he has evidence to the contrary.  

Anyways, since you mentioned that John will have to tick some himself which one do you think would they be? I could hardly select two out of the six.

He would definitely get a 2 in need for stimulation.   He could arguably have a 1 in impulsivity, poor behaviour controls, and possibly a couple of others.  So not much different to Sherlock.  He is the more violent one after all. 

And most importantly if John is really consciously assured of Sherlock's sanity why does he say and writes that he's a psycho? I'm just trying to figure out that why you don't think much of the practically awful things John accuses of Sherlock and what do you think are his reasons.

As above, I think he's using the word colloquially.  I don't think he actually believes Sherlock is literally a psychopath.  That doesn't mean that he still doesn't put him down - I agree with you there that it sometimes seems like he deliberately ignores his good qualities and tries to think the worst.  But at other times, he seems to have such faith in him.

And why are you directly disregarding the things Moffar said specifically about Sherlock's sociopathy being an intentional misunderstanding in favor of his remark on The Princess Bride which actually was not used to allude to Sherlock's sociopathy?

I'm not sure what you mean.  I think it's clear that Sherlock isn't written as a sociopath and that he lies about it - I have no argument with that.  I was picking up on what I thought you were suggesting - that Moffat used the word "sociopath" because it was well known that it had been used about ACD's Holmes.   Even though it's not a word that would be used as a diagnosis nowadays, I thought I could see why Moffat would pick it if it was a word that people would know was commonly applied to Sherlock Holmes.  I just thought it was funny that it reminded me of that line from The Princess Bride.  If you haven't seen it, one of the characters repeatedly uses the word "inconceivable" incorrectly,   Sherlock repeatedly uses "sociopath" incorrectly (or so it seemed to me.  It was my belief that nowadays somebody would be diagnosed with a personality disorder rather than sociopathy).  Makes me want to quote "You keep using that word.  I do not think it means what you think it means"!   I thought it was funny that the quote was from a film Moffat cited as a favourite.  OK, it's not so funny once I write it all out.

Last edited by Liberty (August 18, 2014 7:28 pm)

August 18, 2014 7:24 pm  #49

SusiGo wrote:

May I join in the praise?

Although I have one objection: What about John's words at the grave about the "most human human being"? 

Thanks! I was trying very hard to look at everything from a different perspective. :-) 

I think John does, in his heart of hearts know exactly what Sherlock means to him, he knows Sherlock's not a sociopath-- but Sherlock had to be "dead", (and Mrs. Hudson, out of hearing distance) for John to admit that, even to himself, and especially out loud. 

It makes Sherlock's Best Man speech all the more profound, because here's Sherlock, the self-proffessed High-Functioning Sociopath, the one who sneers at sentiment, telling a whole roomfull of people just how much he loves John (Mofftiss called it a love letter to John) and John can barely stand to admit his feelings, unless he's completely alone, and even then-- he seems to want to squash it, as if there's something wrong with feeling this way about another man. And my statement actually has nothing to do with Johnlock, it has to do with someone who is profoundly uncomfortable with any real show of love and affection between men, when he seems to regard that affection as a signifier of "Gay!". It tells me he's desperate to convince himself that he's not gay, and he may not be-- the point is that he's terrified of being seen as gay. 

Not all straight men are like this. Some actually have a sense of humor about it. :-)

In terms of emotions and John's ability to express them; anger and rage and betrayal and indignation-- he can do those, just fine. 

It's love outside the tradtionalist man/woman framework that he has a problem with. 

August 18, 2014 7:31 pm  #50

I agree that John tends to be very self-centred.  It's all about him, a lot of the time.

And I agree that John is uncomfortable with showing love and affection to Sherlock (hence the jokes), but I don't think he's at all homophobic!  I don't see any evidence for that in the show. 

Last edited by Liberty (August 18, 2014 7:34 pm)

August 18, 2014 7:42 pm  #51

Liberty wrote:

I agree that John tends to be very self-centred.  It's all about him, a lot of the time.

And I agree that John is uncomfortable with showing love and affection to Sherlock (hence the jokes), but I don't think he's at all homophobic!  I don't see any evidence for that in the show. 

Just a note: when I say homophobic, I don't mean that John hates Gays-- not at all; I'm referring to the suffix of the word: Phobic, as in fear. I think he's afraid of being seen as gay--and that's usually because one has those leanings somewhere deep down. It can create a lot of self-hatred. He may not even be gay, but may have had an experience, like in the army that he can't reconcile himslef with. So, his homophobia may also be also about shame. Just speculating. But it would explain a lot. 

August 18, 2014 7:49 pm  #52

It's possible, but I don't really see it there in the show.  He doesn't get riled by people suggesting he and Sherlock are lovers. for instance, beyond getting irritated at the continual misunderstanding.   He has a lot of issues, but I don't think that's one of them. 

August 18, 2014 8:05 pm  #53

Liberty wrote:

It's possible, but I don't really see it there in the show.  He doesn't get riled by people suggesting he and Sherlock are lovers. for instance, beyond getting irritated at the continual misunderstanding.   He has a lot of issues, but I don't think that's one of them. 

He yelled at Mrs. Hudson... gets irritated by the suggestion, constantly, even Mycroft knows it's a button with him. It would be a more effective deterrent to teasing, innuendos if he developed a sense of humor about it. And he's got the wit for that. But he always, always , always goes on the defensive about it. But that's only my headspace, YMMV. :-)

August 18, 2014 8:51 pm  #54

It does get irritating if people keep on insisting on something that isn't true!  It seems to be a running joke, a bit like Sherlock always getting Greg's name wrong.  I don't think it means John is homophobic (I know what you mean by homophobia there).  It doesn't look like it's touching a nerve. 

August 19, 2014 5:40 am  #55

John gets irritated when everybody and their grandmother call him out with his supposed relationship with Sherlock because it reminds him that he's in love with him but (in his mind) Sherlock will never ever love him back in that way because (allegedly) "he can't feel things that way". He always says that he's not gay because I think it is true since he's bisexual. One'll just have to remember how he propositioned Sherlock in Angelo's in ASiP. Also note how he never ever says things like he doesn't see Sherlock that way. That's how I make of the show anyways.

Back on topic. Sherlock is neither a psychopath nor a bad person in general. And it's really sad that John can't fully accept that. Do you think things would’ve been better if Sherlock explained himself better for a change? I mean why doesn't he do that?? How come there is no crying emoticon??

For example:

> In TBB it really caught my attention that Sherlock completely brushed aside that he was being strangled inside the flat and barely made it out alive and so John came to think he wasn’t allowed in because Sherlock didn’t think much of him and his abilities!

> Why he was compelled to keep John out of the loop from the Lazarus plot for two years. And I don't think John knew about how Sherlock spent this time doing missions and was tortured to an inch of his life hours before he himself was beating him up!! *facepalm*

​> How he was scammed in return big time by Janine. I mean in the end John came to believe that not only Sherlock used her as a means to get into the office but also used her for sex while we are clearly told that they never went there at all!!

> Did John really not know that Sherlock was going to his death instead of some undercover work and never returning?? I JUST CAN’T!!

> EDIT: In TSo3, Shouldn't Sherlock tell John about mary's ex David still seems to have a romantic interest in her and how he made sure David doesn't cause any problem? I mean that's something John should definitely know!! 

Ok so another question. Why doesn’t Sherlock explain his circumstances in the first places. I have some theory but first I’d want to hear your opinion on the matter.

Last edited by tykobrian (August 19, 2014 6:06 am)

August 19, 2014 6:24 am  #56

I've wondered about that a lot!  And you know, John rarely asks. As we've talked about it, he seems to avoid knowing. 

In The Empty House, Sherlock says that he couldn't contact John in case his "affectionate regard" for him led to him giving away the secret.  He says something similar in TEH.  So I think that's one reason - that John is impulsive and emotional and would find it very difficult not to to give things away.   It bothered me that Sherlock was so secretive throughout the first two series, but now it seems to make sense.  Sherlock is very good at acting and at not giving things away (well, except that he does that "not giving things away" face!), and John just isn't.  

And maybe when Sherlock actually does tell John what's going on, it backfires.  At the beginning of TRF, Sherlock doesn't tell John why he's courting publicity.  However, at the beginning of HLV he tells John right from the beginning that he's on a case, only to have John and Molly not believe him! 

(I think there's also the fact that, just speaking us a viewer, I like the "show, don't tell" approach, where we see what Sherlock does and have to work it out, rather than having John explain it to us (as in the books).   I suppose they could have got round that by having Sherlock explain things off-screen?  But I do actually like watching it this way and I'm glad they took this approach, which relies on John being in the dark).

I think the secrecy is most noticeable in Season 2, but it's there right from the first episode, which makes me think that it's just the way Sherlock naturally works, and possibly even that John rather likes the mystery.  Sometimes I think it's just that Sherlock doesn't see a reason to tell John. 

Would things be better if Sherlock explained?  I don't know.   I rather liked that instead, what happened was that John built up this solid, unwavering trust in Sherlock by the end of Series 2.  I liked that Sherlock didn't have to explain himself.  I was really frustrated that John wouldn't let Sherlock explain himself in Series 3, but liked that they were working back to that familiar trust. 

Your examples:
>Sherlock being strangled - I actually think he's slightly embarassed there.  It was because he was too slow on the uptake that he got into trouble. 
>Lazarus - there's the explanation above, but also, Sherlock keeps all three out of the loop.   It looks as if they are still at risk until Moriarty's network is destroyed.  Sherlock makes it clear that he desparately wanted to contact John.  (The Serbian torture being so close to John hitting Sherlock bothers me too, but I'm not sure how he could have got that across, and I don't think he wanted to.   I think Sherlock feels at fault in those scenes).
>Janine seems more attracted to Sherlock than he is to her (when John sees them together).  I don't think John would think Sherlock used her for sex. I don't think he'd fall for the tabloid stories either, especially as it's obvious what Janine has to gain from them.

Another thing is that I don't know if John really knows for sure (he could work it out, but we don't see him doing that), that Sherlock's exile was to protect him.   I'd like him to know that.   It's rather frustrating in TSOT when Sherlock talks about John saving him, when actually, he has saved John in more ways than one. 

To be a bit more on topic, it's that trust that John has for Sherlock that makes me think he can't really believe he's a psychopath.  He believes in Sherlock through TRF and afterwards, even when the evidence seems to be building up against him.

Last edited by Liberty (August 19, 2014 6:58 am)

August 31, 2014 8:44 pm  #57

Liberty wrote:

I've wondered about that a lot!  And you know, John rarely asks. As we've talked about it, he seems to avoid knowing. 

In The Empty House, Sherlock says that he couldn't contact John in case his "affectionate regard" for him led to him giving away the secret.  He says something similar in TEH.  So I think that's one reason - that John is impulsive and emotional and would find it very difficult not to to give things away.   It bothered me that Sherlock was so secretive throughout the first two series, but now it seems to make sense.  Sherlock is very good at acting and at not giving things away (well, except that he does that "not giving things away" face!), and John just isn't.  

And maybe when Sherlock actually does tell John what's going on, it backfires.  At the beginning of TRF, Sherlock doesn't tell John why he's courting publicity.  However, at the beginning of HLV he tells John right from the beginning that he's on a case, only to have John and Molly not believe him! 

(I think there's also the fact that, just speaking us a viewer, I like the "show, don't tell" approach, where we see what Sherlock does and have to work it out, rather than having John explain it to us (as in the books).   I suppose they could have got round that by having Sherlock explain things off-screen?  But I do actually like watching it this way and I'm glad they took this approach, which relies on John being in the dark).

I think the secrecy is most noticeable in Season 2, but it's there right from the first episode, which makes me think that it's just the way Sherlock naturally works, and possibly even that John rather likes the mystery.  Sometimes I think it's just that Sherlock doesn't see a reason to tell John. 

Would things be better if Sherlock explained?  I don't know.   I rather liked that instead, what happened was that John built up this solid, unwavering trust in Sherlock by the end of Series 2.  I liked that Sherlock didn't have to explain himself.  I was really frustrated that John wouldn't let Sherlock explain himself in Series 3, but liked that they were working back to that familiar trust. 

Your examples:
>Sherlock being strangled - I actually think he's slightly embarassed there.  It was because he was too slow on the uptake that he got into trouble. 
>Lazarus - there's the explanation above, but also, Sherlock keeps all three out of the loop.   It looks as if they are still at risk until Moriarty's network is destroyed.  Sherlock makes it clear that he desparately wanted to contact John.  (The Serbian torture being so close to John hitting Sherlock bothers me too, but I'm not sure how he could have got that across, and I don't think he wanted to.   I think Sherlock feels at fault in those scenes).
>Janine seems more attracted to Sherlock than he is to her (when John sees them together).  I don't think John would think Sherlock used her for sex. I don't think he'd fall for the tabloid stories either, especially as it's obvious what Janine has to gain from them.

Another thing is that I don't know if John really knows for sure (he could work it out, but we don't see him doing that), that Sherlock's exile was to protect him.   I'd like him to know that.   It's rather frustrating in TSOT when Sherlock talks about John saving him, when actually, he has saved John in more ways than one. 

To be a bit more on topic, it's that trust that John has for Sherlock that makes me think he can't really believe he's a psychopath.  He believes in Sherlock through TRF and afterwards, even when the evidence seems to be building up against him.

I'm actually beginning to think that John is, like a lot of us, firmly entrenched in his ideas of what Sherlock is-- from seasons 1 & 2. And those are actually surface readings. He doesn't see what's underneath it all; he doesn't see that Sherlock can be vulnerable, that he can be hurt physically or emotionally, it seems to come as a suprise that he would ever put John's needs before his own. If you add to that John's tendency to be opposed to knowing anything that might make him feel emotionally compromised, anything that might damage the status quo and force him to take action, or take responsibility --- John is quite adept at Not. Seeing. 

I've always thought that, in TBB, when John was railing against Sherlock for leaving him out of things, Sherlock was actually protecting someone he saw as sort of an intern. He tries to keep John out of situations that are potentially dangerous, like entering Soo Lin's flat. And I think after he suffered being strangled, yes, embrarrassment, but also I don't think he wanted to worry John, either. 

A telling scene that lingers in my mind, is at the train tracks, where John has just figured out a lead from the case Sherlock has sent him on to work for Mycroft. Sherlock shows up, and John is like, "How long have you been following me?", and a bit irritated. And Sherlock's like, "Since the begining. You didn't think I'd blow off a case of this importance just to spite my brother, did you?" (Yes, I'm paraphasing.)

The thing is, John *did* think that Sherlock would blow off a case to spite Mycroft; he *was* insulted by Sherlock following him on the case without his knowledge, (I suspect that John wrongly thinks Sherlock believes him incompetent) , and he has no idea that part of the reason Sherlock followed him, might have been to make sure that he was safe. 

John sees Sherlock through a a pretty limited lens. 

August 31, 2014 9:17 pm  #58

Yes, that's true.  And I suppose it means that he doesn't really know him.   Or only knows what matters.   He says he's the best and wisest man he knows, but it seems to be gut feeling rather than an assessment.  Which is fine. 

It does look as if often Sherlock is protecting John and John doesn't know it. 

ASiB has always bothered me, because John seems so concerned about Sherlock throughout the episode, but Sherlock refuses to give anything away.   John is trying to protect Sherlock at various points, but completely without information on what Sherlock really feels.  He does seem to believe Sherlock can be hurt.  But he's not sure if Sherlock is being hurt or not.  There's that scene with Irene at Battersea Power Station, where he tells her that he doesn't know if Sherlock is heartbroken or just his normal self.  And at the end when John is trying to judge which story to tell Sherlock, which will cause him the least pain ... and Sherlock appears to be devastated but hiding it, while he knows Irene is alive and well. 

I think Sherlock often does hide things to protect people (in this case, Irene, but often John), but it's frustrating that it means there are parts of Sherlock that John doesn't get to come close to (no double entendre intended!). 

Board footera