BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 13, 2014 7:21 pm  #81

Re: Mary

I was comparing them in terms of not being a hero. Not being white characters.
I was not saying that it is the same to kill a person because the situation asks for it and to kill people because it's your job - it's not.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Falling is just like flying, except there’s a more permanent destination."

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

January 13, 2014 7:24 pm  #82

anjaH_alias wrote:

silverblaze wrote:

But the whole point was that it would have been MUCH better, logically, to kill both Sherlock and Magnussen. Instead she saved his life and his reputation. 

I like her. And I like what she brings to the relationship. It'll keep the bromance interesting. 

Definetely. I like her much more than in the previous episodes. And we shouldn´t forget - although we might not understand their friendship for us/our lives - there are three sociopaths (more or less) going along :-). As we know now also John is not without certain traits. And the series is far away from any political correctness - that´s what I appreciate.

I pretty much agree with all that was said above. 
I need to watch the episode a few times before making my mind completely but my first impression is that I still like her. Sherlock forgave her because (as he said at 221B) he understands her reasons and he is aware that despite her mistakes she really loves John and she loves Sherlock too.

What I understood was that she used to work for the CIA and she must have done a lot of dirty work for them (think Jason Bourne). And although that could be considered heroic for many (i.e.: she might have prevented terrorist attacks), there are others who must be really pissed off and would want to kill her and the people she loves. Therefore, Magnussen theatening to blow up her fake identity was a real danger and (in her mind) he needed to be eliminated. I can't really blame her. She responded the way she was trained to do = she tried to kill him.

Should she have trusted in Sherlock?... eeeeeeeh... yes? I'm not sure. The only person who should run to Sherlock for help is John. Everybody else takes their chances because nobody knows how he will react. He could have gone stright to John to tell him everything. Mary knows that Sherlock likes her (even loves her in his own way) but she also knows that he loves John above everything and that his loyalty will always lay with him. She made a mistake, yes. But she was desperate and terrified and I can understand her (even if I don't agree with he decisions 100%).

I have no problem with Mary staying in the show forever (I actually like Amanda a lot so I'm biased). What really worries me is the baby. I really don't see how a baby could work in the story. BUT, especially after this series, I trust 100% in Mofftiss. I surrender to their geniuses!

January 13, 2014 7:54 pm  #83

Well, I feel very angry about Mary. I hate liars. I am very confused about how John can still love her and why Sherlock defended her so much. My Harry Potter soul is saying perhaps she is a Severus Snape type character and Sherlock knows she is more noble and good for John than she seems. Have to admit I can't see much evidence of why he would think that at this stage.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"You can always tell a good Chinese place by examining the bottom third of the door handle"

January 13, 2014 8:05 pm  #84

The child may make all the difference.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 13, 2014 8:06 pm  #85

There isn't going to be a child.

January 13, 2014 8:08 pm  #86

Ozma wrote:

With the smiley face at the end your comment looks positively evil.

...although, very likely.

January 13, 2014 8:12 pm  #87

We shall have to wait and see.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 13, 2014 8:15 pm  #88

Weirdness wrote:

Ozma wrote:

With the smiley face at the end your comment looks positively evil.

...although, very likely.

It's a fictional baby; and all good writers have to be prepared to make difficult decisions (I lived through The X Files and Scully having to give up her only child that she'd been trying to have for years to never see him again, so I know what I'm talking about ) because otherwise we just tell the story of Mary Sue and not of the interesting characters we love.

January 13, 2014 8:50 pm  #89

I disagree, I think a baby could be acommodated.

January 13, 2014 9:55 pm  #90

I think a baby at Baker St would be awesome! Can just picture John chasing after Sherlock with baby Sherlette strapped in the Baby Bjorn! But Mary, Mary has to go...

Last edited by NotYourHousekeeperDear (January 13, 2014 9:57 pm)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"You can always tell a good Chinese place by examining the bottom third of the door handle"

January 13, 2014 9:56 pm  #91

Charming!

January 13, 2014 9:59 pm  #92

Regardless of all my Parentlock fanfic dreams I can't see a baby at Baker St. working.  I don't know how this is all going to work out but deep in my heart I believe they have to get back to the dynamic of Sherloc and John against the world.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

January 13, 2014 10:00 pm  #93

Well, there are some nice fanfics out there they could draw on for that. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 13, 2014 10:00 pm  #94

I think you're watching Modern Family, not Sherlock...

January 13, 2014 10:12 pm  #95

Actually I was thinking of a scene from one of the first episodes of My Name is Earl or maybe Raising Hope can't remember!!

Last edited by NotYourHousekeeperDear (January 13, 2014 10:24 pm)

January 13, 2014 10:34 pm  #96

Ozma wrote:

Can we have a look at a couple of things:

-Mary shoots Sherlock. Ok, not fatally (though why couldn't she shoot him in the leg or something?) but please let's notice that Sherlock DOES FLATLINE and only comes to because he fights to not cause suffering to John.  So a pretty serious injury which required fecking surgery.

-Sherlock said she saved his life. Really?? When she goes to the hospital and John tells her he's pulled through surgery, she makes a face like 'Oh shit' because now she's obviously scared Sherlock will tell John. She was expecting him to die.
Then there is a nice little scene in which she threatens Sherlock to make sure he doesn't tell John - in that scene I was more scared of her that I was of Magnussen for the entire episode

- then, when Sherlock gets her into the fake building, she is STILL threatening to kill him ('How badly do you want to find out?' 'Understand there is NOTHING I wouldn't do to stop John from leaving me - or something along these lines)

But yet, YET, Sherlock still fights her case, John still forgives her even though he was right there when she confessed and threatened Sherlock again, and Sherlock even still bloody trusts her with John when he is about to leave.

How is this even ok?

I think it's very much *not okay.* 

She meant to kill him. Sherlock helped her, for John. And he did it in a way that prevented John from doing what he very often does-- live in denial. 

John, sooner or later, has to accept responsibilty for his choices of partners-- and he chose *not* to look at the flash drive that would tell him the truth about Mary. So, still making a choice to live in denial. 

Mary, telling Sherlock not to tell John-- that was actually the thing that was the final straw for me. Just because you love someone, and don't want to lose them-- that's not an excuse for attempted murder!

It's controlling to a disturbing degree-- something a person who obsessed (like a stalker) would do. How can John (or Sherlock) ever trust her again?

January 13, 2014 10:41 pm  #97

RavenMorganLeigh wrote:

It's controlling to a disturbing degree-- something a person who obsessed (like a stalker) would do. How can John (or Sherlock) ever trust her again?

I agree. This was another thing that disturbed me. Because she did it out of love for John, somehow it seems like it's ok - but the this 'love' for John seems more like an obsession she has - surely it's not her wanting what's good for him.
Hiding the truth is cheating, however you want to see it - and yes John chooses later not to read the file, but before that Mary had gone to great lenghts to avoid him seeing, and then only confessed because she had no other choice.

There have been comparisons with Sherlock - fine, but at least Sherlock has never hidden himself and let John choose whether he loved him - the real him - or not.

January 13, 2014 10:44 pm  #98

sj4iy wrote:

I'm not worried about how Mary or a baby will or won't fit into the show, because the writers will take care of that, and I quite trust them to do it without comprimising the show's integrity.  By telling us that "John is addicted to danger", they pretty much quashed any ideas that he would be able to give up his lifestyle so easily.  I just empathize with her position...she had to get away.  She could no longer kill Magnussen without John becoming a suspect, she couldn't have Sherlock telling him, and she knew Magnussen wouldn't say a word...for a price.  Her only option was to shoot Sherlock, but she didn't want to do it.  She made a mistake by not trusting him and coming to him in the first place...THAT was her mistake.  And it's an understandable mistake to make in her position.  She had worked very hard to leave her other life behind, even found someone who would love her, and was pregnant with his child...things she probably thought she'd never have.  And to see it suddenly all be threatened by a scumbag like Magnussen?  To see that happy life that she had worked so hard to build up be swept away in an instant...it was too much for her.  She was too scared to tell Sherlock, because she thought he would tell John, so she tried to take care of it the only way she knew how.  Imagine if you had done some horrible in your life, and you've tried to move on from it, and you finally thought you did.  Then imagine Magnussen comes along.  What would you do?

I think, that if I loved someone that much, and I knew that my past coming back to haunt me would threaten the relationship-- and it was something *that dark*-- and let's not forget that when you leave a whole lot of bodies behind you as she presumably did, your partner's life is now threatened as well-- I'd like to think I would do the honorable thing-- and LEAVE. I wouldn't shoot (and very nearly kill) my partner's best friend. 

Either that, or you own up to it.  

Sherlock has taken a lot blame, a lot of flack for "lying to John"-- and that was to save lives and take down Moriarty's web. I'm not sure he'll ever be entirely forgiven. 

But Mary gets a pass? Why? Which is worse?

As  for Sherlock shooting Magnussen (sp?) it was pretty clear to me that inside, his heart was breaking. It was the shot of young Sherlock, crying an looking to his big brother for help that did it. 

Last edited by RavenMorganLeigh (January 13, 2014 10:54 pm)

January 13, 2014 10:58 pm  #99

RavenMorganLeigh wrote:

sj4iy wrote:

I'm not worried about how Mary or a baby will or won't fit into the show, because the writers will take care of that, and I quite trust them to do it without comprimising the show's integrity.  By telling us that "John is addicted to danger", they pretty much quashed any ideas that he would be able to give up his lifestyle so easily.  I just empathize with her position...she had to get away.  She could no longer kill Magnussen without John becoming a suspect, she couldn't have Sherlock telling him, and she knew Magnussen wouldn't say a word...for a price.  Her only option was to shoot Sherlock, but she didn't want to do it.  She made a mistake by not trusting him and coming to him in the first place...THAT was her mistake.  And it's an understandable mistake to make in her position.  She had worked very hard to leave her other life behind, even found someone who would love her, and was pregnant with his child...things she probably thought she'd never have.  And to see it suddenly all be threatened by a scumbag like Magnussen?  To see that happy life that she had worked so hard to build up be swept away in an instant...it was too much for her.  She was too scared to tell Sherlock, because she thought he would tell John, so she tried to take care of it the only way she knew how.  Imagine if you had done some horrible in your life, and you've tried to move on from it, and you finally thought you did.  Then imagine Magnussen comes along.  What would you do?

I think, that if I loved someone that much, that my past coming back to haunt me would threaten the relationship-- and it was something that dark-- and let's not forget that when you leave a whole lot of bodies behind you as she presumably did, your partner's life is now threatened as well-- I'd like to think I would do the honorable thing-- and LEAVE. I wouldn't shoot (and very nearly kill) my partner's best friend. 

Sherlock has taken a lot blame, a lot of flack for "lying to John"-- and that was to save lives and take down Moriarty's web. I'm not sure he'll ever be entirely forgiven. 

Yes. Sherlock lied to John, to save him, suffering an incredible amount in the meantime both at having to leave John and also because of the small fact that he travelled for 2 years getting into god knows what situations to get rid of a web of criminals - with the purpose of making the world safer - and when he comes back he gets abused, beaten and called a liar.

Mary? Mary has lied to John FROM THE BEGINNING, nothing and I repeat nothing about her is true, she clearly says 'the information Magnussen has on me would send me to jail for life' (so not really clean work there hey) and yet....she gets forgiven.

I would think, since all this has happened, that it doesn't end there - meaning that they don't just happily carry on, having the baby and perhaps telling the story of 'when mummy shot uncle Sherlock' around the fireplace at Christmas, but somehow Mary reedems herself by saving a life at the cost of her own (like it has been done for her) - perhaps Sherlock, even better John, or perhaps even both.

January 13, 2014 11:10 pm  #100

Ozma wrote:

RavenMorganLeigh wrote:

sj4iy wrote:

I think, that if I loved someone that much, that my past coming back to haunt me would threaten the relationship-- and it was something that dark-- and let's not forget that when you leave a whole lot of bodies behind you as she presumably did, your partner's life is now threatened as well-- I'd like to think I would do the honorable thing-- and LEAVE. I wouldn't shoot (and very nearly kill) my partner's best friend. 

Yes. Sherlock lied to John, to save him, suffering an incredible amount in the meantime both at having to leave John and also because of the small fact that he travelled for 2 years getting into god knows what situations to get rid of a web of criminals - with the purpose of making the world safer - and when he comes back he gets abused, beaten and called a liar.

Mary? Mary has lied to John FROM THE BEGINNING, nothing and I repeat nothing about her is true, she clearly says 'the information Magnussen has on me would send me to jail for life' (so not really clean work there hey) and yet....she gets forgiven.

I would think, since all this has happened, that it doesn't end there - meaning that they don't just happily carry on, having the baby and perhaps telling the story of 'when mummy shot uncle Sherlock' around the fireplace at Christmas, but somehow Mary reedems herself by saving a life at the cost of her own (like it has been done for her) - perhaps Sherlock, even better John, or perhaps even both.

Thank you! Finally somebody got my point. :-D 

I suspect that Mary will redeem herself-- but it'll probably be an act of self-sacrifice, that costs her her own life. Not sure how I feel about that, as she's pregnant. 

Board footera