BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 16, 2014 1:22 pm  #261

Re: Mary

zeratul wrote:

Hera wrote:

if Mary dies in childbirth

That would be so Star Wars...

Moriarty is actually Sherlock's father and Mary is his sister. It's crystal clear now.

Last edited by Hera (January 16, 2014 1:23 pm)

January 16, 2014 1:27 pm  #262

dartmoordoggers wrote:

I suppose all options are open; although they do not have to resolve the Mary issue for some time. She could spend the next five years  at home looking after the baby and become a minor character like Donovan or Anderson.
Can't see another story based on keeping her past secret; they have already done that.  
And I think any attempt to turn the programme into Team Sherlock/John/Mary would defeat the whole point of the show. It would no longer be Sherlock.

I agree. It would no longer be Sherlock.
But it’s not going to happen (well I very much hope it’s not). Mary has fallen from grace now, I don’t think she’ll stick around for long.
Because if she does, you can forget she’ll just sit at home with the baby – yes she wanted to leave her past life behind, but when John went to the drug den she was still quick to go with him even after he protested that she was pregnant.

She’s not staying for long.

I wonder if she has any connection with Moriarty.

January 16, 2014 1:31 pm  #263

I don't think she has any connection with Moriarty. That would be just too much, wouldn't it?  The "What Mary really is and does and knows"-thing has been done. In an awesome way, if you ask me, btw. Her having a connection to Moriarty might be repetitive.

Last edited by Hera (January 16, 2014 1:34 pm)

January 16, 2014 1:40 pm  #264

Hey, can we discuss about mary saying " oh god yes" when john asked her if mary watson was good enough a name for her?
Moftiss wants to destroy the mother of johnlock moments!

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

January 16, 2014 1:45 pm  #265

mrshouse wrote:

Hey, can we discuss about mary saying " oh god yes" when john asked her if mary watson was good enough a name for her?
Moftiss wants to destroy the mother of johnlock moments!

Maybe it was unintentional and they just like that phrase, because it emphasises "Yes" so much.  ... Or maybe it was intentional and they wanted to show that Mary wants to be with John as much as John wants to solve crimes. Maybe both. 

Anyway, I like that moment, because it telling us so much about her.

Last edited by Hera (January 16, 2014 1:46 pm)

January 16, 2014 1:47 pm  #266

Nothing is unintentional. Makes me dislike the figure of mary the more...

"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

January 16, 2014 2:06 pm  #267

Hera wrote:

I don't think she has any connection with Moriarty. That would be just too much, wouldn't it?  The "What Mary really is and does and knows"-thing has been done. In an awesome way, if you ask me, btw. Her having a connection to Moriarty might be repetitive.

My feelings to. They stretched it a bit in HLV. The four chief players at the wedding all end up in CAMs office at a later date. CAM wants a hold over Mary so he can get to Mycroft; whose boss is Lady Smallwood; and the reason Sherlock is there in the office is to retrieve letters belonging to Lady Smallwood. 
So basically when Mycroft warned Sherlock to stay away from CAM  Sherlock was in the employ of Mycrofts boss; Lady Smallwood.
As you say it worked well this time; but any more plots based on similar connections involving Mary would just be to much.

January 16, 2014 2:28 pm  #268

Smallwood isn't Mycroft's boss or it would indeed be very silly. Mycroft's decision was his own. I don't think he answers to anyone in particular, but to get what he wants he has to play the game. 

January 16, 2014 2:47 pm  #269

silverblaze wrote:

Smallwood isn't Mycroft's boss or it would indeed be very silly. Mycroft's decision was his own. I don't think he answers to anyone in particular, but to get what he wants he has to play the game. 

He clearly needs her authority to do what he did with Sherlock; and at that meeting refers to his collegue (M). The only politician; other than the Prime Minister, who MI6 is answerable to is the Foreign Secretary. 
But I do agree with you. Mycroft plays the game and has an undefined role covering all security service matters.

January 16, 2014 3:09 pm  #270

She doesn't have to be his boss for him to need her authority. Hierarchies aren't so linear. And I don't think we'll ever find out what it is Mycroft does for his living. 

January 16, 2014 3:12 pm  #271

Hera wrote:

agreed. But if a fair guess if you think that she was a hired assassin and Moriarty really has a thing for those

January 16, 2014 3:22 pm  #272

Aytoun wrote:

Mrs. Watson wrote:

mrshouse wrote:

...This is not marys show, this is not soapy-little-watson-family-changing -the- nappies- and- breastfeeding. Wonder how this will be solved.

Rest assured that it will be in the most painful way possible 

Maybe, but most of us thought that she wouldn't survive series 3 and she did. My guess is that if she does go (and I hope she does) it will be something to do with a reveal about her true identity. I just don't believe that her past went up in smoke with that memory stick.

Oh god yes, please get rid of her!

January 16, 2014 3:47 pm  #273

I think they should write MF out. 

January 16, 2014 3:52 pm  #274

silverblaze wrote:

Not content with his performance then?which especially?

January 16, 2014 3:56 pm  #275

mrshouse wrote:

Aytoun wrote:

Mrs. Watson wrote:

Rest assured that it will be in the most painful way possible 

Maybe, but most of us thought that she wouldn't survive series 3 and she did. My guess is that if she does go (and I hope she does) it will be something to do with a reveal about her true identity. I just don't believe that her past went up in smoke with that memory stick.

Oh god yes, please get rid of her!

Oh, yes, please, please, please!!!!
It doesn't even matter how!!!

January 16, 2014 3:57 pm  #276

This starts to be disgusting ^^

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

January 16, 2014 4:01 pm  #277

I lean toward wanting an extremely dramatic redemtion for Mary.  As in sacrificing herself to save John and/or Sherlock.  Of course there's still the problem of the baby.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

January 16, 2014 4:03 pm  #278

mrshouse wrote:

silverblaze wrote:

Not content with his performance then?which especially?

No, he's brilliant. I was just trolling basically because people get so stuck on the bromance thing. 

January 16, 2014 4:04 pm  #279

Fine, I move this into this thread:

Mary was a killer, stopped it for whatever reason and is pregnant. In S4 she may as well stay at home, take care of the baby and let John and Sherlock be "sexy". 
Mrs Hudson is kind of a badass, too, but never joins them during their adventures.
I don't understand why people don't want Mary along anymore when nobody really can know, yet, what Mofftiss will do with her!? IMO right now it is NOT a trio. So what's your problem?? 

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

January 16, 2014 4:37 pm  #280

I can only speak for myself, but to me Mary is much more than Mrs. Hudson or Mycroft or Lestrade or Molly... She's much more present and she's much more important in their lives, mainly John's. Which is only natural, of course. I don't blame John and I don't blame Mary.

But for me, Mary is a very big and important character. Of course, you never know how they'll pull it off in series 4, but right now, she's not a minor character and not an addition. That's what it feels like to me and that's what's bothering me a little bit.

I still like her as a character and I'll be happy to keep her for a while, but I do think she makes them a trio.

Board footera