BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 13, 2014 1:03 pm  #41

Re: John? Out of character?

John hasn't a suitcase ready. That's how I understood it at first, too. But it's just that he has his shirts folded because he takes them with him to work. He goes by bike and uses to shower there afterwards. That's why he has his shirts in a bag. 

I watched the scene at the airport again and can say now that John clearly was moved. He cleared his throat from time to time and looks around all the time as if he doesn't know where to look; he seems to avoid to look at Sherlock. Sherlock then helps by making this little joke about that girl's name.
At the end I found the whole scene very moving.

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

January 13, 2014 1:08 pm  #42

yes, I agree. And deep down I also love that they are not being predictable - a hug would have been too melodramatic - and that handshake was just really full to bursting with emotion, I thought.
it's just so many emotions at once, hard to process.

January 13, 2014 1:09 pm  #43

Swanpride wrote:

I just want to point out that the moment Sherlock shot CAM, all the bets were off. He could have just as well getting killed on the spot in this situation. There was a reason he ordered John to stay away from him - to make sure that he wouldn't get caught in the crossfire.

Seriously.  The moment he shot you could hear Mycroft yelling at everyone to stand down!  I believe there are several reasons why Sherlock waited until Mycroft was in sight of him to shoot.  One of which is undoubtably that he figured the least his brother would do was try not to let him go down in a hail of bullets.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

January 13, 2014 1:18 pm  #44

tonnaree wrote:

Swanpride wrote:

I just want to point out that the moment Sherlock shot CAM, all the bets were off. He could have just as well getting killed on the spot in this situation. There was a reason he ordered John to stay away from him - to make sure that he wouldn't get caught in the crossfire.

Seriously.  The moment he shot you could hear Mycroft yelling at everyone to stand down!  I believe there are several reasons why Sherlock waited until Mycroft was in sight of him to shoot.  One of which is undoubtably that he figured the least his brother would do was try not to let him go down in a hail of bullets.

And he wanted CAM to tell Mycroft about the mind palace so that Mycroft understood why he shot him. At least that was my interpretation. 

IMHO there was noting OOC about John's reaction at the airport. IRL people who must do something really emotional like saying goodbye often don't scream and cry and whatever. Just as often, we close down a bit, grow colder as to not to feel how painful it is. And make a joke to make it easier. And don't forget that Sherlock wasn't honest with John about the danger of the mission. John didn't think he would die. 

January 13, 2014 1:19 pm  #45

well, that, but he also needed to make sure everyone saw what he'd done, so that the whole Magnussen thing would end with him right there and then.

This is why he endured having to watch John being manhandled by CAM - otherwise I really don't think he would have.

January 13, 2014 1:27 pm  #46

Swanpride wrote:

I think the main reason was to make sure that John would not considered a suspect. By doing it in front of witnesses, there was no doubt who the real culprit was.

Even if Mycroft was there to call them back, those shark shooters are fast. It could have gone wrong just as well.

yes, and this is why Mycroft was screaming like a madman - I think he panicked a bit there.

What I still don't get is, why did Sherlock bring John with him!  He could have easily drugged him as well and gone by himself. So no risk of John getting implicated in anything...

January 13, 2014 1:42 pm  #47

maybe it was Sherlock's last attempt to make sure John SAW with his own eyes that he would  do literally anything for him - beginning with the video of him jumping into the fire to save him, that CAM was conveniently playing.

January 13, 2014 2:00 pm  #48

I think Sherlock just feels a lot stronger when John is with him. 

January 13, 2014 2:03 pm  #49

Ozma wrote:

What I still don't get is, why did Sherlock bring John with him!  He could have easily drugged him as well and gone by himself. So no risk of John getting implicated in anything...

Because it could be dangerous? Emptying a vault. He could have needed help. It was not clear that time that the vault is just a mind palace.

January 13, 2014 2:49 pm  #50

oh yes, that was his plan B. He didn't just thought that up on the spot.

but I agree with @anjaH_alias and @silverblaze - Sherlock both feels stronger with John there, and also thought he would have needed help.

January 13, 2014 4:08 pm  #51

As John said about who hit Wiggins 'just an addict needing his fix'
Sherlock. 'Yes. I think in a way it was'. Looking at John.

Johns not an innocent. Sherlock recognises that John needs his regular fix. As he did in the very first episode. 'I said danger; and here you are'.

January 13, 2014 4:26 pm  #52

Of course he's gonna bring his friend on an adventure. And he's so ridiculously confident that he probably believed that he was gonna win.

January 13, 2014 7:42 pm  #53

I did find John massively out of character and I'm still reeling. Not in his relationship with Sherlock, but with Mary. A defining characteristic of John has always been his strong moral compass. Sherlock, although.manipulative of him at times, has never lied about the person who he really is. He has always come clean about any deceptions as soon as he feels they have served their purpose.  But here we have Mary, who has not only lied about who she is, but has made so e questionable moral choices, and additionally only confesses to John because Sherlock insists, and we are supposed to believe john loves her so much he just forgives her? The only thing he really knows about her is she is a liar? I really can't believe he would still love her and I'm very cross about it!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"You can always tell a good Chinese place by examining the bottom third of the door handle"

January 13, 2014 7:46 pm  #54

NotYourHousekeeperDear wrote:

I did find John massively out of character and I'm still reeling. Not in his relationship with Sherlock, but with Mary. A defining characteristic of John has always been his strong moral compass. Sherlock, although.manipulative of him at times, has never lied about the person who he really is. He has always come clean about any deceptions as soon as he feels they have served their purpose. But here we have Mary, who has not only lied about who she is, but has made so e questionable moral choices, and additionally only confesses to John because Sherlock insists, and we are supposed to believe john loves her so much he just forgives her? The only thing he really knows about her is she is a liar? I really can't believe he would still love her and I'm very cross about it!

yes. And I know we knew he was in the army and from the very first episode we are told he misses war and everything, but he is still not a violent sociopath and all of a sudden in this episode he needs violence and he is attracted to murderers. It's just too long of a stretch to just accept it without batting an eyelid or making excuses.

Also, I don't believe what Sherlock says, that John chose her because she was like that. On the contrary John chose her because she seemed so normal and safe to him - let's not lie to ourselves he had no way of knowing of her past, so he couldn't possibly have been attracted to that - as opposed to when he chooses Sherlock because he sees what he does and how he is.

What I mean is - John chose Sherlock because of the adrenaline he felt with him, BUT he chose Mary because of her normalcy.

So, no, it doesn't work for me.

Last edited by Ozma (January 13, 2014 7:48 pm)

January 13, 2014 7:59 pm  #55

Ozma wrote:

NotYourHousekeeperDear wrote:

I did find John massively out of character and I'm still reeling. Not in his relationship with Sherlock, but with Mary. A defining characteristic of John has always been his strong moral compass. Sherlock, although.manipulative of him at times, has never lied about the person who he really is. He has always come clean about any deceptions as soon as he feels they have served their purpose. But here we have Mary, who has not only lied about who she is, but has made so e questionable moral choices, and additionally only confesses to John because Sherlock insists, and we are supposed to believe john loves her so much he just forgives her? The only thing he really knows about her is she is a liar? I really can't believe he would still love her and I'm very cross about it!

yes. And I know we knew he was in the army and from the very first episode we are told he misses war and everything, but he is still not a violent sociopath and all of a sudden in this episode he needs violence and he is attracted to murderers. It's just too long of a stretch to just accept it without batting an eyelid or making excuses.

Also, I don't believe what Sherlock says, that John chose her because she was like that. On the contrary John chose her because she seemed so normal and safe to him - let's not lie to ourselves he had no way of knowing of her past, so he couldn't possibly have been attracted to that - as opposed to when he chooses Sherlock because he sees what he does and how he is.

What I mean is - John chose Sherlock because of the adrenaline he felt with him, BUT he chose Mary because of her normalcy.

So, no, it doesn't work for me.

Yeah, me neither.  When he said "But she wasn't suposed to be like that.  Why is she like that" was so heartbreaking and that he was more or less begging Sherlock to explain, and what he came up with is it's all your fault??  I was with John - Why is it always his fault?? 

I agree, he was attracted to someone who was intellegent and made him laugh, and probably (I suspect) someone who was more interested in him than Sherlock - I'm betting a lot of dates were spent avoiding questions about Sherlock and stating repeatedly that he was NOT a fraud.  I think they would have been better going for the Your attracted to intellegence than sociopaths.

.....although I really liked 'Even your landlady used to run a drug cartell.  LMAO!!
(However, again, she was Sherlock's landlady first and sort of came as a package deal - again sooo not John's fault that Sherlock had a cheap flat in her house)

Mxx

Last edited by Mirthxx (January 13, 2014 8:06 pm)

January 13, 2014 8:08 pm  #56

Simply put:  John married a female Sherlock.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 13, 2014 8:19 pm  #57

besleybean wrote:

Simply put:  John married a female Sherlock.

As much as Sherlock has always hated it, he was always 'on the side of the angels'. Mary wasn't.
Not sure if she is a female Sherlock...

January 13, 2014 8:25 pm  #58

How come she wasn't on the side of the angels?(And I bloody hate that expression!)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 13, 2014 8:34 pm  #59

Because she killed people for money?

January 13, 2014 8:40 pm  #60

Ozma wrote:

Because she killed people for money?

So do soldiers (which John just happens to be).  Sherlock said she was an Intelligence Agent, which doesn't exactly make her evil.

Last edited by sj4iy (January 13, 2014 8:41 pm)

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.
Bigby: Wait, that doesn’t make se-
Coline: Just give me a drink, please.

Board footera