BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 13, 2014 8:49 pm  #301

Re: John? Out of character?

Tinks wrote:

Are you not tempted to have a go at writing it yourself, Willow?

Alas, I have no talent. It's very hard to make conversation and dialogue flow naturally; I can think of dozens of different plots but making the words live is a totally different kettle of fish.

I very much enjoy the efforts of others, though, so if people want local colour I'm happy to oblige

March 13, 2014 9:18 pm  #302

Willow wrote:

Tinks wrote:

Are you not tempted to have a go at writing it yourself, Willow?

Alas, I have no talent. It's very hard to make conversation and dialogue flow naturally; I can think of dozens of different plots but making the words live is a totally different kettle of fish.

I very much enjoy the efforts of others, though, so if people want local colour I'm happy to oblige

Actually, Willow--- (and I'm on my way out the door, so will have to take this up again later) 

I could really use your assistance. I've never been to England ( though, hopefully, I'll get to come over next year) -- but I'm in the process of doing some serious writing, and your input would be invaluable! May I call on you sometime, via IM? 

March 14, 2014 11:24 am  #303

Willow wrote:

I think you would have a good time tourmenting Mary on paper. Even it it's written purerly for your desk drawer. My fanfictions leave a lot to be desired but to my great surprise there are people out there who read them and enjoyed them.

March 16, 2014 3:19 am  #304

belis wrote:

Willow wrote:

I think you would have a good time tourmenting Mary on paper. Even it it's written purerly for your desk drawer. My fanfictions leave a lot to be desired but to my great surprise there are people out there who read them and enjoyed them.

And it's all in good fun. I also think fanfiction is an excellent way to develop the skills that make a good writer. That's more important that talent!

April 1, 2014 10:24 pm  #305

Ozma wrote:

OK so let me recap this, John nearly died himself from the pain of seeing Sherlock jump to his death, then pined for him for 2 years - now Sherlock tells him  that it's unlikely that they'll ever meet again, and he has no reactions at all??

Didn't this seem a bit weird? Was John so attached to him before only because he had no one else??

You know, I didn't think of it when this was first posted, but now I can't believe John didn't go: "I'm going with you! I don't care where they're sending you, or why! If Sherlock Holmes goes, I go!"

Indeed, one of the most forgivable reasons I can come up with for Sherlock not letting John in on the faked death is that Sherlock knew/believed that John would insist on following Sherlock wherever he was going.

The only reason for his behavior (lack of behavior?) that goes along with the 'loyal Watson' I like him to be is that he now has total faith in Sherlock's ability to survive anything. But "the game is over" made it sound like he really believed just that...actually those four words carried quite a bit of emotion.

Oh, and the reference to it being the last conversation they'll ever have is actually a nod to the canonical "His Last Bow," in which Holmes and Watson have (so they say) been living apart in retirement, and are reunited only briefly before both heading off to assist the WWI effort.

April 2, 2014 11:57 am  #306

"You know, I didn't think of it when this was first posted, but now I can't believe John didn't go: "I'm going with you! I don't care where they're sending you, or why! If Sherlock Holmes goes, I go!"

At that point John would not have done this because of Mary and the baby.  He would not just run off and leave them. 

I see John's lack of reaction as the biggest indicator of his distress.  We are talking the King of all repression here.  If you watch John's face you and body you can see that he is clamping down on those feelings as if his life depended on it.  He can barely look Sherlock in the eye!

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

April 2, 2014 5:10 pm  #307

I agree with Tonnaree. I don't think it's Johns style to talk openly about how he feels and he does struggle with that. However it doesn't mean that he wasn't upset or that he doesn't care. I would imagine that he would want to go with Sherlock if it wasn't for Mary and the baby. I don't think that Sherlock would allow him to go with him though.

Last edited by belis (April 2, 2014 5:12 pm)

April 2, 2014 6:04 pm  #308

belis wrote:

I agree with Tonnaree. I don't think it's Johns style to talk openly about how he feels and he does struggle with that. However it doesn't mean that he wasn't upset or that he doesn't care. I would imagine that he would want to go with Sherlock if it wasn't for Mary and the baby. I don't think that Sherlock would allow him to go with him though.

I was just thinking about how, more often than not, in seasons 1 & 2, it seemed like Sherlock made an effort to keep John out of dangerous situations... I think we assume that he's just up and running off without John, but that's John's POV we're getting that from; if you're looking at it from Sherlock's POV, he's essentially dealing with a newbie in the crime fighting sluething thing. So, he goes first into Soo Lin's apartment, and gets strangled (and that might be where he begins to value John's backup) -- but my point is, he might have actually been looking out for John. And also making sure that a potenital crime scene wasn't compromised. 

April 3, 2014 6:29 pm  #309

I think it's a good point. John thinks that he is an adult in this relationship and looks after Sherlock (reminds him to eat, sleep etc). However looking at the bigger picture Sherlock looks after John in his own way. I don't think John always understands that or appreciates it and becouse we see things from John POV it's not immediately obvious to us either.

April 8, 2014 2:38 am  #310

If you read the TVTropes Sherlock Ho Yay page, the take on the John-lockiness in Season 3 is much more positive...in the sense that they think John and Sherlock are constantly showing how much they love each other, even in HLV, interpreting John as acting much more caring after Sherlock gets shot.

April 9, 2014 8:51 am  #311

John's resentful reaction at the airfield bothered me at first sight, but then he asked a genuine question about Sherlock's work which was met with no real answer and a joke.
It must have felt like a subtle way to say: "MInd your own business".

April 9, 2014 1:36 pm  #312

Be wrote:

John's resentful reaction at the airfield bothered me at first sight, but then he asked a genuine question about Sherlock's work which was met with no real answer and a joke.
It must have felt like a subtle way to say: "MInd your own business".

Why do you think John´s reaction was resentful? He seemed seriously concerned about Sherlock to me. He even sighed painfully when Sherlock said it´s their last time together.

And Sherlock, naturally, gave him an evasive answer because he didn´t want to lie to him again - and yet the truthful answer would be too painful for John to endure.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

April 9, 2014 2:15 pm  #313

I agree with you, nakahara. I do not find John resentful. He is clearly out of his depth, still shocked at the recent events, and of course he does not know about Mycroft's six months prognosis. He knows this is a farewell but Sherlock came back from the dead once so he might hope that this is no final goodbye. And look at the way he constantly flexes his right hand which is a sign of inner turmoil. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

April 9, 2014 2:29 pm  #314

Resentful?
I don't see any resentment at all.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

April 9, 2014 2:34 pm  #315

SusiGo wrote:

I agree with you, nakahara. I do not find John resentful. He is clearly out of his depth, still shocked at the recent events, and of course he does not know about Mycroft's six months prognosis. He knows this is a farewell but Sherlock came back from the dead once so he might hope that this is no final goodbye. And look at the way he constantly flexes his right hand which is a sign of inner turmoil. 

Yes, and the way he´s fidgeting all the time - he´s nervous and he doesn´t want to really say goodbye.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

Board footera