BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 20, 2014 1:27 pm  #81

Re: Drugs: Do you believe Sherlock?

In the canon Sherlock uses a 7% solution of cocaine and morphine, not opium, if I'm not mistaken.

January 20, 2014 1:44 pm  #82

Willow wrote:

In terms of overall safety Sherlock would be unlikely to be buying street drugs; he would have no real difficulty in obtaining a supply of pharmaceutically produced diamorphine, aka heroin, and naloxone to reverse it if things went wrong. Human responses to opiates vary immensely, which is why hospitals have large supplies of naloxone on hand should patients respond badly to, for example, postoperative analgesia. 

Thanks, that's a great addition for my headcanon . I was actually not really thinking about the immediate risk but more about how addictive both of them were, I know heroin is extremely addictive and opium isn't exactly easy to use casually either but I don't know to what extent they differ and whether to what extent it is related to the way it's used. I know there's a connection, and it probably centres around how strongly it acts on the dopamine system as that's what produces the craving that is at heart of physical addiction (and not pleasure/withdrawal, which is what many people think). For example, it is possible for some people to use cocaine casually, but by my knowledge it's impossible to use cristal meth casually. But maybe they didn't really work this out. 

Willow wrote:

Molly's reaction in asserting that Sherlock is endangering his mind is somewhat weird if Sherlock was using opiates. There are a lot of drugs which mess up the mind more thoroughly than that group. Perhaps they were going for the stereotyped instant flash of recognition in the crack house so they could get onto the interesting stuff, but of course the scene sets us up for the shooting and the recognition that pain will kill unless it can be controlled.

I love the way in which Moffat sets up all of these connections between the scenes, it really is virtuoso stuff

Maybe opiates are not the most dangerous drug for the brain, but a heroin addiction will still mess up your life and in that way stil destroy the gift.
I loved that scene where he loses control over the pain, and I agree that's what kills him but I don't see how that is connected to the Molly scene. Could you explain that? 

January 20, 2014 1:47 pm  #83

shezza wrote:

In the canon Sherlock uses a 7% solution of cocaine and morphine, not opium, if I'm not mistaken.

No, you're correct, by my knowledge. He pretends to use opium for a case but never actually uses it. 

January 20, 2014 2:39 pm  #84

silverblaze wrote:

Willow wrote:

In terms of overall safety Sherlock would be unlikely to be buying street drugs; he would have no real difficulty in obtaining a supply of pharmaceutically produced diamorphine, aka heroin, and naloxone to reverse it if things went wrong. Human responses to opiates vary immensely, which is why hospitals have large supplies of naloxone on hand should patients respond badly to, for example, postoperative analgesia. 

Thanks, that's a great addition for my headcanon . I was actually not really thinking about the immediate risk but more about how addictive both of them were, I know heroin is extremely addictive and opium isn't exactly easy to use casually either but I don't know to what extent they differ and whether to what extent it is related to the way it's used. I know there's a connection, and it probably centres around how strongly it acts on the dopamine system as that's what produces the craving that is at heart of physical addiction (and not pleasure/withdrawal, which is what many people think). For example, it is possible for some people to use cocaine casually, but by my knowledge it's impossible to use cristal meth casually. But maybe they didn't really work this out. 

Willow wrote:

Molly's reaction in asserting that Sherlock is endangering his mind is somewhat weird if Sherlock was using opiates. There are a lot of drugs which mess up the mind more thoroughly than that group. Perhaps they were going for the stereotyped instant flash of recognition in the crack house so they could get onto the interesting stuff, but of course the scene sets us up for the shooting and the recognition that pain will kill unless it can be controlled.

I love the way in which Moffat sets up all of these connections between the scenes, it really is virtuoso stuff

Maybe opiates are not the most dangerous drug for the brain, but a heroin addiction will still mess up your life and in that way stil destroy the gift.
I loved that scene where he loses control over the pain, and I agree that's what kills him but I don't see how that is connected to the Molly scene. Could you explain that? 

If you compare the two Molly scenes, one at the hospital and one in his head, there are a number of repetitions and links; for example, Molly slaps Sherlock hard in the face in both scenes. In their first scene he's using an opiate, probably heroin, and Molly is telling him he mustn't do that because it will destroy his mind. The Molly in his head when he is dying is telling him that it is the absence of heroin which is killing him; uncontrolled pain will destroy him absolutely.  Same drug, same Sherlock, but completely different results.

So we have a mirror image of Molly, which fits, I suppose, with the mirror physically behind him in CAM's office which Mycroft uses to prod him into realising that the bullet hasn't gone through him, and he should therefore fall backwards.

Going back to your earlier points: The basis of opiate addiction is still not very well understood; some people will become addicted very easily whilst others can take it or leave it, in much the same way that some people will go into massive respiratory failure on small doses whilst others have no respiratory problems with high doses. There are all sorts of biochemical reactions going on with specific results; one of the most central is that if you are in a great deal of pain diamorphine doesn't make you feel good. It makes you not in absolute agony but it doesn't make you feel good.  The making you feel good bit happens when someone who is not in pain uses opiates, and even then it's a bit hit and miss; not everybody gets pleasurable sensations.

But I do like the way in which Moffat makes the point that something can be both bad and good; it all depends on the circumstances. And of course, Molly got a couple of great scenes, which also provided a counterpart to Mary; Sherlock still trusted Molly absolutely even though he'd just been shot by someone he had trusted .

January 20, 2014 3:20 pm  #85

I guess there's a reason why neuroscientists prefer the more selective kind of drugs to study, like cocaine. But back on topic, if one were to take opioids for a case, you'd take all those precautions, make sure the dosage is low, especially in the beginning, and then still it would be a bit of a gamble. Not that gambling would be beyond Sherlock, Molly probably had a point. 

Willow wrote:

If you compare the two Molly scenes, one at the hospital and one in his head, there are a number of repetitions and links; for example, Molly slaps Sherlock hard in the face in both scenes. In their first scene he's using an opiate, probably heroin, and Molly is telling him he mustn't do that because it will destroy his mind. The Molly in his head when he is dying is telling him that it is the absence of heroin which is killing him; uncontrolled pain will destroy him absolutely. Same drug, same Sherlock, but completely different results.

Oh, they love mirrors, don't they?  Now I love that scene even more. In both cases he's kind of drifting off and she slaps him back to reality. 

January 20, 2014 4:44 pm  #86

Lights and mirrors, I love their use in Sherlock.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 20, 2014 4:57 pm  #87

Mirrors definitely used for foreshadowing too.

When CAM visits Sherlock and John in Baker Street he is reflected in Sherlocks mirror so you see him three times.
Just as you see Sherlock when he's assessing his bullet wound.

I'm clueing for looks

January 21, 2014 3:00 am  #88

Jacco111 wrote:

Holmes uses cocaine to simulate the feeling he gets when he is working on a crime.

Is that fanon? In the canon we find, for example, this quote in the aftermath of a successful case:

“The division seems rather unfair," I [John Watson] remarked. "You have done all the work in this business. I get a wife out of it, Jones gets the credit, pray what remains for you?"
"For me," said Sherlock Holmes, "there still remains the cocaine-bottle." And he stretched his long white hand up for it.”

January 21, 2014 3:04 am  #89

Davina wrote:

They actually show the use of the spoon & flame in the start of this scene. That is a pretty clear hint towards heroin.

Both heroin and cocaine can be dissolved in water; however, heroine requires heating while cocaine can be mixed hot or cold (heat will create a smoother effect in the user).

Besides this, I have to snort (no pun intended) at us discussing what drug is worse. I have seen plenty of addiction and it will always screw with what YOU really are.

January 21, 2014 8:59 am  #90

silverblaze wrote:

Criosdan wrote:

Opium and heroin are related. It is an opioid.

Thanks, I did know that. But even drugs from the same chemical class can have quite different effects on the body, also much dependent on the dosage and the efficacy. I'm not an expert but as far as I remember, both of them are GABA agonists, much like benzodiazepines, but what makes them so dangerous is of course the effect on the dopamine system. I suspected that heroin might be a stronger dopamine agonist than opium, but on reflection it might just be the way it's taken and the dosage. Opium is mostly smoked and heroin mostly injected, so the effect of heroin would be stronger. 

Opium is a dried out sap from the poppy. It's not particularly pure. The active ingredient of intrest in it is morphine (it also contains codeine and few other alkaloids). In the opium there is a lot of other inactive stuff and morphine accounts for only around 12% of weight.

Heroin is pure diamorhine. Nothing added. (Speaking about pharmaceutical grade stuff, god only knows what is added to the street drugs). Morphine and diamorphine are essentialy the same thing, diamprhine being more potent. So the active ingredient in opium and heroine is pretty much the same, the difference is in purity, concentration and potency. You need to take much more opium to get the same effect as from heroine but if you smoke enough you will get there.

Most users of heroin in UK smoke it. A proportion will progress to injecting as they build up tolerance. It's rare (and quite a stupid thing to do) to start straight off on IV. Opium is almost impossible to take by injection as it dissolves very poorly. It's also not something that is sold widely this days in the UK.

Last edited by belis (January 21, 2014 9:13 am)

January 21, 2014 1:05 pm  #91

The Doctor wrote:

Besides this, I have to snort (no pun intended) at us discussing what drug is worse. I have seen plenty of addiction and it will always screw with what YOU really are.

I was more wondering about how he could use heroin for a case without becoming physically dependent, never mind the immediate risk, because the drug is so addictive. From the comments here I understand that the drug in question was indeed heroin and he did use it, he didn't just pretend. He would have smoked it at a low dose and carried naloxone in case thing would go wrong. Still quite a risk, no wonder Molly slapped him. 

January 21, 2014 1:16 pm  #92

Sherlock has a very strong mind.
And no drug I know is immediately addictive. There is always an exaggeration when it comes to drugs while legal drugs no less dangergous. (But it's not the proper place to discuss drug politics. Sorry)

-----------------------------
“Why do you go away? So that you can come back. So that you can see the place you came from with new eyes and extra colors. And the people there see you differently, too. Coming back to where you started is not the same as never leaving.”
Terry Pratchett - A Hat Full of Sky

January 21, 2014 1:54 pm  #93

silverblaze wrote:

The Doctor wrote:

I was more wondering about how he could use heroin for a case without becoming physically dependent, never mind the immediate risk, because the drug is so addictive. From the comments here I understand that the drug in question was indeed heroin and he did use it, he didn't just pretend. He would have smoked it at a low dose and carried naloxone in case thing would go wrong. Still quite a risk, no wonder Molly slapped him. 

There is a hierarchy of addiction which is quite counter-intuitive; for example, nicotine is more addictive than heroin. We see Sherlock with nicotine patches in earlier programmes, and he and Mycroft sneak off for a cigarette on Xmas day, which suggests that the writers are aware of the addiction hierarchy.

I agree that Molly was outraged, and I entirely sympathise with her, but she's not an anaesthetist or a physician; if she wanted to know if Sherlock had recently taken heroin all she had to do was look at his eyes. His pupils would have been constricted; it's really noticeable to anyone who knows what they are looking for.

Presumably the writers wanted to extend the scene so we had the stuff about urine samples, but I think it would have been great fun if Molly had done the diagnosis simply by staring into his eyes. It would have made the subsequent slaps even more dramatic 

January 21, 2014 2:12 pm  #94

Oh, so addiction wasn't the biggest risk then, if he was using heroin.

They surely missed another opportunity. John could have been the one staring into his eyes and slapping him. 

January 21, 2014 3:13 pm  #95

silverblaze wrote:

Oh, so addiction wasn't the biggest risk then, if he was using heroin.

They surely missed another opportunity. John could have been the one staring into his eyes and slapping him. 

Rats! You are quite right; perhaps they thought that John had done his quota of punching for the season. I am going to resist detouring into that one and stick with the drugs...

January 21, 2014 3:24 pm  #96

Quite clear Sherlock was taking something.
I like they aren't scared to face this issue..was a big part of canon.

I just really hope we aren't heading for a the-seven-percent-solution type pastiche with a trippy paranoid Sherlock chasing all over the place for a fake Moriarty......

January 21, 2014 3:56 pm  #97

I loved the whole Sherlock-is-high sequence. I think he is able to control it: we see it later with the morphin in the hospital, but also he is tempted by it and well aware he must be careful. So IMO he indulged a little and may be even enjoy it, but in a controlled way (like with the alcohol on the stag party, only John messed the things up). In any case not enough for John & Molly to be sure without doing tests.But I love how BC plays it by slightly changing Sherlock's way of speaking, body movements and more emotional reactions; very subtly, but enough for us to realise that something is a bit wrong. And then he gradually begins speaking & moving more like usual Sherlock once the effects wear off.

January 21, 2014 4:16 pm  #98

"But I love how BC plays it by slightly changing Sherlock's way of speaking, body movements and more emotional reactions; very subtly, but enough for us to realise that something is a bit wrong.

For example, when he slams Mycroft against a wall.   That was very subtle.

Last edited by tonnaree (January 21, 2014 4:16 pm)

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

January 21, 2014 4:33 pm  #99

Yes, he seemed a bit disinhibited. The jump on the container, twisting Mycroft's arm, the movements. And John had to tell him three times that he called Mycroft before he understood. 

January 21, 2014 5:24 pm  #100

Willow wrote:

I agree that Molly was outraged, and I entirely sympathise with her, but she's not an anaesthetist or a physician; if she wanted to know if Sherlock had recently taken heroin all she had to do was look at his eyes. His pupils would have been constricted; it's really noticeable to anyone who knows what they are looking for.

Presumably the writers wanted to extend the scene so we had the stuff about urine samples, but I think it would have been great fun if Molly had done the diagnosis simply by staring into his eyes. It would have made the subsequent slaps even more dramatic

Looking for pupil's constriction is not the best way to asertain drug use for a number of reason. First of all we asume it's heroine but it could be concaine, amphetamine, benzos or any combination of those. Secondly heroine has short half life and the pupil constriction is only present for around 4 hours. It's easy to miss that window. Finally it's dose dependant. For someone who developed a degree of tolerance they need to take quite a large dose to develop pupils that are obviously small.

If present pin point pupils are a pretty reliable confirmation of opioid use. However absence of the sign doesn't exclude it. That's why we spend a lot of time and money on urinary drug screens.

Board footera