BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 16, 2014 10:38 pm  #61

Re: Drugs: Do you believe Sherlock?

Sometimes, when one has an addiction, finding something else to be a "positive addiction" is the thing that will keep you on the straight and narrow. And it has to be something you're passionate enough about tha it makes being an addict much, much less desirable.  It's an addictive personality thing. That's what I think Sherlock is talking about. 

January 16, 2014 10:47 pm  #62

Sherlock wasn't sleeping with Janine, and yes, he was using - whether he only did it for the case is debatable. 

January 17, 2014 6:44 am  #63

I agree.
Well, Janine and he may have shared a bed, but there was no sex.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 17, 2014 8:25 am  #64

Not even sure about that, as he has been out all night while she was in his bedroom. 

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

January 17, 2014 8:32 am  #65

I don't know about heroin but if you don't tell people that you're high a lot of them won't notice (I had a very wild youth...) It is not like alcohol which one would smell. If you are already labelled as "strange" people just think it is your "strangeness".
Maybe Sherlock took just as much that he still would "work".

-----------------------------
“Why do you go away? So that you can come back. So that you can see the place you came from with new eyes and extra colors. And the people there see you differently, too. Coming back to where you started is not the same as never leaving.”
Terry Pratchett - A Hat Full of Sky

January 17, 2014 9:51 pm  #66

TeaTime wrote:

Sherlock is sort of shockingly thin.  Does anyone know if Benedict has to actively lose weight for the part?  He never looks so thin in his other work.)  

I've heard him say that he does, trying to look sort of otherworldly.

January 17, 2014 11:14 pm  #67

Well he's certainly succeeded with the other worldly thing.  I actually found myself thinking the other day that he looks rather like an elf.  (A Tolkien elf of course)

January 18, 2014 1:32 am  #68

TeaTime wrote:

Well he's certainly succeeded with the other worldly thing. I actually found myself thinking the other day that he looks rather like an elf. (A Tolkien elf of course)

He's always had the otherworldly thing going, even before Sherlock.  A big part of it is those unearthly eyes.  *swoon*

And he would make an absolutly georgous elf.  

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

January 19, 2014 3:38 am  #69

Lily wrote:

Sherlock's remark in HLV really confused me: 'Your best friend is a sociopath who solves crimes as an alternative to getting high.'

I found the whole interaction which that was a part of confusing - Sherlock was trying hard to get John to believe that he is attracted to sociopaths in general and subconsciously knew Mary was a sociopath, which is more than I can believe the subconscious capable of (more in the Sherlock / John / Mary dynamic thread on that point).

I believe Sherlock was in the drug den to try and fool Magnussen - he was too focused to be doing heroin seriously, and the house John found him in seemed to be a 'shooting gallery' for smack heads, not people doing cocaine.

BBC Sherlock seems to me to like excitement, I doubt he'd want to quiet his mind down.  If he was doing drugs I think he too would go for cocaine.

I think the heroin has been brought in as an updated reference to canon (Moftiss do love updating canon) rather than to tell us anything particular about Sherlock.  I'll be surprised if we see much more on this point in show - Moffat has said a couple of times he regards people doing drugs as 'twats'.

January 19, 2014 4:36 pm  #70

The Sherlock in disguise in a drug den is directly taken from canon.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

January 20, 2014 1:22 am  #71

True, but in canon he hadn't partaken of the drugs, hence the opportunity for varying Interpretations of the significance of Sherlock doing (probably) heroin in HLV.

January 20, 2014 10:07 am  #72

Criosdan wrote:

I don't know about heroin but if you don't tell people that you're high a lot of them won't notice (I had a very wild youth...) It is not like alcohol which one would smell. If you are already labelled as "strange" people just think it is your "strangeness".
Maybe Sherlock took just as much that he still would "work".

Oh, you can smell it.It smells  a little like clorine. I remember this from my wild youth as a hard core punk in 1980's NYC.

January 20, 2014 10:19 am  #73

BTW, how did the drug become heroin? It was opium in the canon and opium was also on CAM's list. 

I know, or at least I think I know, that opium isn't very popular these days so heroin would be a more obvious choice in an updated version but it's never suggested anywhere that it's heroin and not opium. 

Isn't taking heroin also considerably more dangerous? Quite a risk for a case. 

January 20, 2014 10:26 am  #74

Opium and heroin are related. It is an opioid.

Raven: Thanks for the information. Although, I have several experiences with drugs, heroin is none of them. (By the way, I'm a bit curious who would be really surprised if they knew. When your're different, all kinds of gossip appears...)

Swan: One can smoke it, inhalate it like cocaine.

Last edited by Criosdan (January 20, 2014 10:28 am)

“Why do you go away? So that you can come back. So that you can see the place you came from with new eyes and extra colors. And the people there see you differently, too. Coming back to where you started is not the same as never leaving.”

January 20, 2014 10:40 am  #75

Criosdan wrote:

Raven: Thanks for the information. Although, I have several experiences with drugs, heroin is none of them. (By the way, I'm a bit curious who would be really surprised if they knew. When your're different, all kinds of gossip appears...)

Swan: One can smoke it, inhalate it like cocaine.

Actually, that's true-- and I've seen people do it--(never did it myself, wasn't completely without sense) people would put coke and heroin in ciggarettes and smoke it. When opium is smoked, it smells lovely-- like perfume. I've actually done that ( in the 80's) it was lovley, and I never did it again. People have also been known to mix it with Hashish. 

Real junkies will shoot places , like between their toes, usually when they've ruined their veins, or want to avoid being obvious. 

Yech. Nasty, but effective.

January 20, 2014 11:38 am  #76

They actually show the use of the spoon & flame in the start of this scene. That is a pretty clear hint towards heroin.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

January 20, 2014 12:13 pm  #77

Criosdan wrote:

Thanks, I did know that. But even drugs from the same chemical class can have quite different effects on the body, also much dependent on the dosage and the efficacy. I'm not an expert but as far as I remember, both of them are GABA agonists, much like benzodiazepines, but what makes them so dangerous is of course the effect on the dopamine system. I suspected that heroin might be a stronger dopamine agonist than opium, but on reflection it might just be the way it's taken and the dosage. Opium is mostly smoked and heroin mostly injected, so the effect of heroin would be stronger. 

January 20, 2014 12:23 pm  #78

Silverblaze: I meant to say that maybe they "modernized" the opium thingy.

The effect a drug will have, also depends which kind of person you are. Same drug can have different effects to different persons.

January 20, 2014 12:32 pm  #79

I don't know much about drugs. I didn't know you can smoke heroin, for example. It makes more sense that he might do that than shooting. I missed the spoon thing and CAM thought it was opium, that's why I was confused. But heroin seems to be a more up to date version, true. 

January 20, 2014 12:42 pm  #80

silverblaze wrote:

Criosdan wrote:

Thanks, I did know that. But even drugs from the same chemical class can have quite different effects on the body, also much dependent on the dosage and the efficacy. I'm not an expert but as far as I remember, both of them are GABA agonists, much like benzodiazepines, but what makes them so dangerous is of course the effect on the dopamine system. I suspected that heroin might be a stronger dopamine agonist than opium, but on reflection it might just be the way it's taken and the dosage. Opium is mostly smoked and heroin mostly injected, so the effect of heroin would be stronger. 

In terms of overall safety Sherlock would be unlikely to be buying street drugs; he would have no real difficulty in obtaining a supply of pharmaceutically produced diamorphine, aka heroin, and naloxone to reverse it if things went wrong. Human responses to opiates vary immensely, which is why hospitals have large supplies of naloxone on hand should patients respond badly to, for example, postoperative analgesia.

Molly's reaction in asserting that Sherlock is endangering his mind is somewhat weird if Sherlock was using opiates. There are a lot of drugs which mess up the mind more thoroughly than that group. Perhaps they were going for the stereotyped instant flash of recognition in the crack house so they could get onto the interesting stuff, but of course the scene sets us up for the shooting and the recognition that pain will kill unless it can be controlled.

I love the way in which Moffat sets up all of these connections between the scenes, it really is virtuoso stuff 

Board footera