BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 19, 2014 1:50 pm  #141

Re: Pictures from His Last Vow

A nice little easter egg I found around 08:24
Information is Power, suits CAM perfectly

January 19, 2014 2:48 pm  #142

besleybean wrote:

Yes, but the bleeding is supposed to be internal.
Now even as a 1st aider, I know internal bleeding leaks out through the body's natural openings.

Well, I'm no doctor, but a degree in biology and extensive viewing of ER always made me believe that you'd only ooze blood out of your "natural openings" (I assume you mean eyes, ears, nose, mouth) if you have a blood clotting disorder (or injuries there, of course).

The most pertienent theory is that Sherlock was shot in the liver, which is actually quite dangerous because there are major blood vessels around and throughout the liver. And even if a shot to the liver left the larger vessels intact, you can still bleed internally from all the smaller vessels in or near the organ.

Again, I'm not a doctor, and I don't know this for sure, but my take on this scene is that by all the moving around, his internal injury was aggravated and started bleeding again. Which probably meant he was bleeding from the liver into his chest cavity or abdomen, perhaps also through the cut they would have made. Not sure if that blood would also get into his digestive tract, but I don't think the liver is directly connected to the colon, is it?

Anyway... all of this will likely remain theory since the spots on the carpet leave room for lots of interpretation.

January 19, 2014 2:57 pm  #143

I'll really have to watch where the bullet enters next time I'm watching...I thought it was chest! But actually, trying to remember, it could have been the liver area...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 19, 2014 3:01 pm  #144

Judith_Sunrise wrote:

A nice little easter egg I found around 08:24
Information is Power, suits CAM perfectly

Good observation skills! It really fits.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

January 19, 2014 3:09 pm  #145

besleybean wrote:

Yes, but the bleeding is supposed to be internal.
Now even as a 1st aider, I know internal bleeding leaks out through the body's natural openings.
But unless Sherlock was leaking blood from, for example, his anus...why would there be drops on the carpet?
I would have thought with his wound, he's more likely cough up/vomit blood.

He would have had surgery to remove the bullet and stop the internal bleeding. Considering that he had a cardiac arrest on the table before they even get going there is no way it would have been key hole. He would have been left with quite big surgical wound from the laparotomy. There is a very good chance that after running around the city like that some of that wound closure would have started coming apart with subsequent bleeding. Nothing massive but would account for drops like that on the carpet.

January 19, 2014 3:25 pm  #146

I am sorry to press on this....but how could blood have got from HIM to the carpet...without showing anywhere else?!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 19, 2014 3:29 pm  #147

besleybean wrote:

I'll really have to watch where the bullet enters next time I'm watching...I thought it was chest! But actually, trying to remember, it could have been the liver area...

Here, let me help you with that. The bullet impact is in purple, the liver I've circled in green.

besleybean wrote:

I am sorry to press on this....but how could blood have got from HIM to the carpet...without showing anywhere else?!

Yeah, my exact question as well.

Last edited by TeeJay (January 19, 2014 3:31 pm)

January 19, 2014 3:33 pm  #148

Yes, I know where the liver is!
I couldn't remember where the bullet went in!

January 19, 2014 3:37 pm  #149

I was just trying to illustrate where the bullet impact was. I didn't mean to imply you didn't know where the liver was located.

January 19, 2014 3:41 pm  #150

Tee Hee.

January 19, 2014 3:44 pm  #151

I guess the only way it could have done, would have been for the blood to have leaked from the wound so much, that it dripped from his shirt to the floor, behind his coat?
Clutching at straws here

Needless to say I REALLY didn't like Sherlock being ill and injured. I dont like my heroes weakened.

I'd have happily nursed him!

I'm clueing for looks

January 19, 2014 3:48 pm  #152

clareiow wrote:

I guess the only way it could have done, would have been for the blood to have leaked from the wound so much, that it dripped from his shirt to the floor, behind his coat?
Clutching at straws here

Well, I guess it's possible. Still not convinced myself, though.

clareiow wrote:

Needless to say I REALLY didn't like Sherlock being ill and injured. I dont like my heroes weakened.

I'd have happily nursed him!

Haha, wouldn't we all? I actually think Sherlock would make a terrible patient. He'd drive any nurse crazy within the shortest amount of time. I'm sure he was the ward's nightmare patient all those weeks. Probably the only persons willing to put up with his shit would have been John and Mycroft (maybe Mary if she visited).

And while I winced along whenever Sherlock did, I'm a bit of a sucker for when my favourite characters get "whumped" on TV and I don't have to do it myself in fanfic. That's twisted, I know, but perhaps it's my way of living through the drama without needing it in my own personal life. The human psyche works in mysterious ways.

Last edited by TeeJay (January 19, 2014 3:49 pm)

January 19, 2014 3:52 pm  #153

I flinch at any violence, but accept it's sometimes necessary to show it in TV/film.
In Sherlock's case, it's maybe necessary to see that he's not really indestructible, he's fragile like the rest of us.
He's more prone to encountering violence in his work, but thankfully he's stronger than the rest of us, too...

Last edited by besleybean (January 19, 2014 3:53 pm)

January 19, 2014 4:25 pm  #154

I'm learning all this fanfic/fangirl stuff - what does whumped mean?

I'm clueing for looks

January 19, 2014 4:28 pm  #155

Just means thumped!

January 19, 2014 4:47 pm  #156

TeeJay wrote:

Haha, wouldn't we all? I actually think Sherlock would make a terrible patient. He'd drive any nurse crazy within the shortest amount of time. I'm sure he was the ward's nightmare patient all those weeks. Probably the only persons willing to put up with his shit would have been John and Mycroft (maybe Mary if she visited).

It sends shivers down my spine just to imagine the amount of trouble he would create on a busy ward. The rates of sickness amongst nursing staff would go up expotentialy. Just watch him messing around with his bloody morphine pump all the time. And his visitors aren't any better. Not to mention the comotion that would have been created by him going AWAOL. The amount of paper work that would trigger is unreal.

As for the blood actually getting on the carpet I think it would be possible for it to drip along his body and legs to the floor if his clothes ware baggy enough and not made of a very absorbant material. I remember following a suspicious trail on the floor that eventualy led me to the patient who was successfully covering his wounds under clothes. (My patients aren't always forthcoming about what's going on so I need to play detective like that ).

January 19, 2014 4:54 pm  #157

Ah so it IS possible then? To me it seemed interesting to focus on the carpet as they did. Nothing is done for a superfluous reason is it?

I'm clueing for looks

January 19, 2014 4:56 pm  #158

Yeah, but for internal bleeding?

January 19, 2014 5:21 pm  #159

clareiow wrote:

I'm learning all this fanfic/fangirl stuff - what does whumped mean?

It's a fan fiction term, I believe originally invented by the Stargate fandom (which I don't follow). I've learned it through the White Collar fandom, where Neal is a popular target to be whumped.

Basically it means that your favourite character is hurt, either physically or emotionally. It can be an actual injury or an illness, but it can also be emotional trauma. Basically, you put the guy/gal through the ringer. It's a common notion for people who really like hurt/comfort themes.

besleybean wrote:

Just means thumped!

Uhm, no. Not quite. See above.

Last edited by TeeJay (January 19, 2014 5:22 pm)

January 19, 2014 5:30 pm  #160

Oh right.
But I could somebody, e.g, being hit with bad news, you'd say theyd been whumped!
As well as if they got a kicking!

Board footera