BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 20, 2014 6:58 am  #281

Re: Pictures from His Last Vow

tobeornot221b wrote:

Great pic, Russell!
But I feel so sorry for all the cleaning staff in charge...those windows, floors...

Wow tobe!     Agree with that!   Especially in winter.

(Hey, that's right, it's winter.   Why so many leaves on trees and so green outside? ... never mind,  it's a TV show.)

And Russel's comment "....and Sherlock's strikingly silent similar intensity of realizing he's helpless.."
so nicely put!   (BTW,  his "strikingly silent" intensity reminded me of his actions in TRF,  when
he was silently incredulous at Richard Brook's crazy explanation  in Kitty's flat.   Had Moriarty not
scrambled away,  it's possible Sherlock may have become violent soon after that point too?)

February 20, 2014 6:35 pm  #282

SolarSystem wrote:

Russell wrote:

Those are wonderful, TeeJay… Was just thinking of face shots/portraits lately, and loving so many I found from these episodes. Sometimes the expressions of these men (and the quality in which they were shot, of course), just…. Had to add these to yours...

John. Wow. Martin is so great in this scene. It seems as if he were doing next to nothing, just staring. But wow, that look on his face... so much emotion there... wow.

Ohhh...I've been waiting for someone to post this picture.  That ruffled hair and that expression get me everytime!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

February 20, 2014 6:43 pm  #283

The photography in HLV is amazing. I made a series of all the different staircases in this episode. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

February 20, 2014 6:55 pm  #284

so nice!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
..I've always assumed that love is a dangerous disadvantage. Thank you for the final proof...

February 20, 2014 7:04 pm  #285

Seriously, just look at this face…  lookit!    That's not just amazingly silent intensity like the kind Jen mentioned he had towards Brook… that was more incredulous.  This is just plain helpless.  All of their acting in this scene… 

(also, 'lol' for us fans still being imaginative and quippy about details, totally agreeing on the winter/windows comments!  did you guys see the one thread's link to the real 'Appledore'?  Amazing, yet can't imagine the upkeep!)
And KP… hee, yes.    Don't you love that to 'be Sherlock' for a moment there, it's not just the coat, but ruffling up his hair?
And Susi - yes!!  I was going to post that last one, as well!  Pardon I may be going on quite a bit here about the whole episode, but I was just so impressed by the acting and cinematography in it.  The time-lapse shots as well:

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

February 20, 2014 7:10 pm  #286

Brilliant images.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

February 20, 2014 7:33 pm  #287

Oh, oh, and did you guys notice/remember this as well?!  Pardon if discussed in another thread I missed.  (thank you, pinterest/tumblr, for your helpfully put together images, reminding my poor little observant-but-didn't-remember mind)    Awesome what they can do with light.  Still loving all the stairway imagery, like Susi collected.  Ok, sorry, enough excited-about-the-visuals picture spam for now…       

(ok, little bit of heart melting.  Sherlock's mind palace has spots from their first case together)

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

February 20, 2014 7:34 pm  #288

This is really beautiful. I wondered if the padded cell is also something Sherlock knows from personal experience just like all the other places in his mind palace. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

February 20, 2014 8:01 pm  #289

SusiGo wrote:

This is really beautiful. I wondered if the padded cell is also something Sherlock knows from personal experience just like all the other places in his mind palace. 

Wow… I know…  I would think not, but, hey, I don't know.  I see it as just amazingly deeply metaphorical, as the deepest part of his mind, where he locks the worst things away (Moriarty being in that category, despite reveling in their game/similarity, because of what he did to Sherlock, and how Sherlock realizes how similar they are ('you are me!'), he never wants to be like him).
Man, this show.

February 20, 2014 11:08 pm  #290

Great pics, ladies!
I love your staircase series, Susi - another good example for the very often so brilliant cinematography and set design... it really feels as if you're watching a movie sometimes.

And I was wondering about the padded cell as well. All the other places we see in the Mind Palace sequence seem to be places where Sherlock has been before in real life - so it would make sense if that were also true for the cell, they just didn't show us before. But it's quite speculative, I admit. It would definitely also make sense if it stands for the place deep inside his mind where his thoughts are dark and barely controllable...

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

February 21, 2014 7:10 am  #291

Oh, definitely.  Which is why it's just that much neater, how they filmed it.  They like to play with relaxed or darker light so much, it just made it that more evident 'hey we're in his mind, and on the verge of death' with the blurry brightness, especially in the morgue scene.  Except for in the cell.  So neat.  Also found it neat most of the people who first popped up to help him were the ones with necessary expertise 'on the scene' when he first starts running through it in his head, except for Mycroft in the morgue, just being there to goad.  But the only others he sees in that familiar hallway of transition are his happiest memory in Redbeard, and the woman who was key to it. 

February 21, 2014 7:17 am  #292

Yep, should have taken more notice of that, Sherlock...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

February 21, 2014 1:06 pm  #293

Russel,
you mentioned the similarities between HLV and TRF when Sherlock is forced to watch Kitty and Moriarty with John and CAM with John.
We get a similar line in both scenes:
Moriarty is not real. Never has been.
And about the vaults. They are not real. Never have been.
Just coincidence, of course?!

February 21, 2014 3:25 pm  #294

Be wrote:

Russel,
you mentioned the similarities between HLV and TRF when Sherlock is forced to watch Kitty and Moriarty with John and CAM with John.
We get a similar line in both scenes:
Moriarty is not real. Never has been.
And about the vaults. They are not real. Never have been.
Just coincidence, of course?!

What do we say about coincidence.....................................

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

February 21, 2014 6:39 pm  #295

tonnaree wrote:

What do we say about coincidence.....................................

Umm….  that they are those little tricks used by Moffat to lead us astray often? 

February 22, 2014 9:02 pm  #296

I love the screengrabs people have captured from this last episode, I think it really does it justice because it was a visual masterpiece in my opinion.

The staircase set was very interesting. Directors do have a style - Luc Besson and circles, for example - so I wonder if its directorial licence or done for something else. I would say the latter, but therein lies the question, what for?

I look to dreams for this. According to my dream dictionary, stairs mean:
"To dream that you are walking up a flight of stairs indicate that you are achieving a  higher level of understanding. You are making progress in your spiritual, emotional or material journey.
"To dream that you are walking down a flight of stairs represents your repressed thoughts. You are regressing back to your subconscious. It also refers to the setbacks that you are experiencing in your life.
"To see spiral or winding stairs, signify growth and/or rebirth."

So in the staircase sequence after Sherlock is shot, he is going to his repressed thoughts, to come back up the spiral staircase represents rebirth and growth. He comes out the other side more emotionally grown, and therefore more determined than ever to uphold his vow.
Sorry for going on, make of it what you will lol ;)

I'm clueing for looks

April 4, 2014 4:48 pm  #297

This moment never ceases to amaze me.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

April 4, 2014 4:55 pm  #298

Me either!

As painful as it is; it's just so beautifully created! that slow motion... just whoa... 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

April 4, 2014 5:58 pm  #299

Even if you have seen in the extras how it was done. 

April 4, 2014 7:15 pm  #300

I actually absolutely love how they did this. I love what they've come up with to achieve the desired effect; and that in connection with what they did with the camera to make it go round in a circle... just great!

Board footera