BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 19, 2014 3:02 pm  #81

Re: Pressure Points

Here
John is pressure point for Sherlock  , cam tested it via bonfire scene, why is he not just pressuring Sherlock already...if his target is Mycroft..did Sherlock anticipate this and that's why he made the hospital canteen deal.
And I wonder...would Sherlock really be a pressure point for Mycroft  when only being threatened emotionally..I don't think Mycroft wld care so much if cam trys or I will hurt you brother by telling about his friends wife.

So what was he thinking would be Mycroft s pressure point...

Last edited by lil (January 19, 2014 3:03 pm)

January 19, 2014 4:30 pm  #82

It is not only the fact that this is known but also how CAM found out. Who told him?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

January 19, 2014 4:47 pm  #83

Hmm I do not think it is a secret Sherlock and Mycroft are brothers.,.but yes., how did CAM know Mycroft wld care...
Need to know what Mary was being asked to do.., maybe info?
Maybee she told him...but then cam asked Mary for More than info. And thats why the escalation to .., kill / threat.
Of course if Mary was clever she wld of just shot Mycroft ages ago....then no more chain.
Could be a case for Mary trying to not kill people for once....unless scared of revenge..hmmm.

Last edited by lil (January 19, 2014 4:51 pm)

January 19, 2014 5:17 pm  #84

Well yes but also the logical reason given for that is he is needed at home...terrorist threat  etc.
Besides not sure recscue,,, Sherlock seemed to be getting himself out of it...

So if cam suspect s that back then., wldnt the test be Sherlock in the bonfire.,
Cam says Mycroft has been looking for a way to get him for a long time...so idk.

Ultimately I think I mean for Sherlock to become a pressure point for Mycroft the threat wld have to be more than.., idk hurt John.

Last edited by lil (January 19, 2014 5:19 pm)

January 19, 2014 5:23 pm  #85

But hang on .
BEFORE Sherlock stepped in with his big shooter...
He and John were gonna be implicated in the therft and attempted sale of state secrets...
Would Mycroft then have had to deal with CAM somehow, to get his brother off?
Sherlock just took out the middle man!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 19, 2014 5:47 pm  #86

That would mean cam had the power to get Sherlock off a charge like that,, and is  already more powerfull than Mycroft?
He had lost his power over smallwood by then also..
Also in laying a charge like that.story in the papers...wouldnt Mycroft go down with Sherlock?
Is cams unltimate aim then to get Mycroft out of the way?
In which case did he ask  Mary to shoot Mycroft..

January 27, 2014 8:09 pm  #87

Wholocked wrote:

Pressure Points in Magnussen's world means "information this person doesn't want to get out, or people I can threaten to keep this person in line". Sherlock is not a pressure point for John. If Magnussen threatened Sherlock, John would believe 100% that Sherlock was well capable of taking care of himself.

I have to disagree with this, at first I tried to think this was the reason because Sherlock not being one of John's pressure points is pretty shocking to me but it just kept coming back to pressure points representing a weakness only; someone or something to you show weakness TOWARDS.

How else is Mrs. Hudson's pressure point only marijuana?! And it alone. Like... what? Certainly not something terribly blackmailing, does she not care about anyone if they were placed in danger?

Similarly, Sherlock has drugs on his file for a weakness, and considering that's no big secret (to him at any rate) it's not worth blackmailing him over, in fact everything on Sherlock's list is showcasing things he has showed a weakness to/for, like a dog that's already dead... not really blackmail material, including the crimes he had a hard time solving -- he was "weak" against solving them quickly and thus they showcase a weakness in his problemsolving. There's nothing to blackmail there or anything to "protect" against the cases. They were published on a blog and pretty well known.

The way John ended up on his list (honestly wasn't it obvious before?) was when Sherlock saved him from burning to death, right? It showed John is someone he is weak towards when John's placed in mortal danger. Why anyone would need an elborate set up like that to find out something so obvious is beyond me.

I would think if Sherlock had been in a similar situation John would not be sitting back and expecting Sherlock has a master plan while inside a bonfire, he'd instead be trying to help him... yet, Sherlock did not make his list.

It's pretty bizarre, and I don't think there's a logical way to explain it away, how can you admit someone is one of your closest people yet not be weak towards them on some kind of emotional level?

I figure the creators just want fans to sit around and ponder it endlessly like we do, and that they deliberatly left Sherlock off John's list for whatever reason. Maybe just to cause a stir.

Most people never even read the "pressure point" lists when they flashed by the screen. And it's a good thing, overall the pressure points are vague and don't make a lot of sense when you consider them as a whole. It's a very frustrating thing that the creators couldn't have made more sense out of them, they had a few years to get it right.

Last edited by Kari (January 27, 2014 8:16 pm)

January 27, 2014 9:46 pm  #88

But they didn't have Paul McGuigan.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 31, 2014 8:35 pm  #89

Is that the complete list? It seemed like there where several pages. 
Isn't Molly on the list?!

January 31, 2014 9:25 pm  #90

gollivier wrote:

Is that the complete list? It seemed like there where several pages.
Isn't Molly on the list?!

I think it was the same pressure points over and over again, thus making the list seem much longer.

February 1, 2014 3:49 pm  #91

That makes sense. Thanks. Still disappointed Molly wasn't included.

February 1, 2014 4:21 pm  #92

Tho it has symmetery with Moriarty dismissing Molly.

February 1, 2014 9:10 pm  #93

Beautifully put, Mouse!

February 2, 2014 8:42 pm  #94

Loved your post, Mouse!

February 2, 2014 8:43 pm  #95

besleybean wrote:

Tho it has symmetery with Moriarty dismissing Molly.

A perfectly good answer. Thanks! 😍

July 6, 2014 4:01 pm  #96

I don't know whether this has been mentioned before (in this thread or elsewhere), but I think it possible that there might be a connection between Moriarty and CAM - just going by their choice of words.
Remember Jim explaining to Sherlock how he "wormed" himself into the jury members' hotel rooms  in TRF:
"Every hotel bedroom has a personalised TV screen ...every person has their pressure point; someone that they want to protect from harm."
Same school, Moriarty and Magnussen, same MO.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

July 6, 2014 4:58 pm  #97

That thought has striked me a bit actually... could be a coincidence... but then again we know what Mycroft says about that!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

Board footera