BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 20, 2014 6:46 am  #41

Re: I REALIZE it's Probably Not Deliberate

How about this, after Jesus rises from the dead, Mary (Magdelene) is the first person to see him, after having been told about the resurrection by a man/angel.   John's really the first person (apart from medical staff) to see semi-conscious Sherlock, but we don't see that happen - his role seems to be to tell Mary about Sherlock's resurrection.   Then we see Mary with Sherlock, threatening him.

Sherlock is shown in a white sheet (no hospital gown), with a chest wound - reminiscent of depictions of Christ's death and resurrection. 

Last edited by Liberty (September 20, 2014 6:50 am)

September 20, 2014 9:58 pm  #42

Definitely stories of good vs. evil and the triumph of good over evil, played out in the heroic characters who can be objects of inspiration for the viewers. I think you hit the nail on the head, although I doubt extremely much that any of the writers and showrunners are Christians and actively seeking to weave their faith into the storylines-- more like an atheistic take-off on the idea of a passion play.

Thanks for the new thoughts. Interesting.

September 20, 2014 10:34 pm  #43

No, I agree, I don't get the feeling that this is C S Lewis style Christian allegory, and I suspect the writers aren't believers themselves (no proof).   But those biblical stories are pretty powerful and entrenched.  I'm an atheist myself, but I've grown up with those stories and some of the bible is so dramatic and poetic (I was brought up on the King James version).

Last edited by Liberty (September 20, 2014 10:53 pm)

September 21, 2014 5:31 pm  #44

Oh wow, you people are making my head spin! Excellent parallels/observations all around.

I definitely don't get the feeling that all this is included in the show for the purpose of promoting any of it. If it were (which is extremely unlikely anyway), I'm sure the Christian imagery and references would all add up to one consistent pattern, which they don't. If, for example, Sherlock was intended to be a Christ figure, they wouldn't just include certain elements of that, and all of those in the wrong order - they'd make it a proper pattern than would make sense within itself. But I can't see any pattern of that sort. The references are thrown in almost randomly, so I think that's just what they are - references to the framework and to the imagery that makes up the cultural heritage of a great part of the western world.

As Liberty pointed out, the Bible is full of great, very fundamental, very powerful stories dealing with the biggest questions that people have ever asked and the biggest issues that people have ever had to contend with, so in a way every other story dealing with fundamental issues written later "owes" something to the Bible in that way, without any missionary intent.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t move, don’t speak, don’t breathe. I’m trying to think.

September 21, 2014 5:42 pm  #45

Well only for those cultures who were aware of it
Plus, many writings pre-date the Bble,,,many of which the Bible borrowed from!
On a personal level, the Bible provides no answers for me...and I suspect for none of the BBC Sherlock team.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

September 21, 2014 6:04 pm  #46

I think this is just people using their hard-wired human skill in finding patterns in random stimuli. It's like the image of the mother and child, some people immediately say it's some form of reference to Maria and Jesus, despite the fact that EVERY culture has images of mothers and children. 

September 21, 2014 6:09 pm  #47

Quite.
Like flood stories being in all culitures and many with resurrection stories.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

September 21, 2014 6:56 pm  #48

QI had a funny thing about that with Mithras. 

September 21, 2014 7:06 pm  #49

Quite so.
Chrisitianity shares much with Mithraism and it was a close run thing which one of them was adopted by Rome...
One of history's great What ifs?!

Board footera