BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 9, 2014 8:29 pm  #21

Re: No waltz for Sherlock

There is no doubt in my mind that Sherlock is scared of losing John.  Even after two years away he expected John would always be there. All those on the outside looking in have warned him that John's marriage will change everything.  John is reassuring and says they'll keep doing cases together; but I think we, the audience, know that's likely not going to happen.  Sherlock wants to believe it and even states to Mycroft that it isn't the end of an era but the start of a new chapter.  Mycroft is, of course, entirely skeptical. But Sherlock's look at John's empty chair and other various "tells" throughout the wedding, and finally the news of the baby, show us he does know things will never again be the same.  He's happy for John and Mary but he is now alone, on the outside looking in - a bittersweet moment. Yes, he knows how to be alone but this time it's different because he has known deep friendship.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

January 9, 2014 9:26 pm  #22

I was under the impression that when Mycroft told him "it's the end of an era" ("funny" he uses exactly the same words as Mrs Hudson ex best friend) and that he replied it was the start of a new chapter, he wasn't convinced at all. He was lying to Mycroft and lying to himself, just to keep composure, just because he has his pride and wouldn't admit to Mycroft that he is terrified, and sad. But of course, Mycroft knows better. He knows that his brother is very affected, and I think that somehow, he must be affected too. Not for the same reasons obviously, but because he cares so much about Sherlock, and he certainly doesn't want him to break down. I think Mycroft loved it that John was around. Even if he probably didn't see as much of his brother when John was around, I think it kind of reassured him to have someone like John keep an eye on his little brother: "He could be the making of my brother – or make him worse than ever" and we all know John made Sherlock a better man.

I really hope to see more of Mycroft and of his relationship with Sherlock later. I love those two so much. I love all the teasing, all the unsaid... and the fact that neither of them would admit how much they care of the other. (Mrs Hudson knows that! "He’s secretly pleased to see you underneath all that .. / Sorry, which of us? / Both!)

Last edited by Punch me in the face (January 9, 2014 9:26 pm)

Just like old times...

January 9, 2014 9:30 pm  #23

KeepersPrice wrote:

Yes, he knows how to be alone but this time it's different because he has known deep friendship.

I agree, he is not the same man anymore that he was at the beginning of ASiP. Sharing a flat with John, having a companion, yes, even a friend... this definitely has changed him. I actually do believe him when he says to John in TEH that he often thought about contacting John during those two years. And it doesn't take Sherlock very long to ask Mycroft about John... so it seems John has been on his mind while Sherlock was away and he wants things to be just as they were before TRF.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

January 9, 2014 10:04 pm  #24

Punch me in the face wrote:

I was under the impression that when Mycroft told him "it's the end of an era" ("funny" he uses exactly the same words as Mrs Hudson ex best friend) and that he replied it was the start of a new chapter, he wasn't convinced at all. He was lying to Mycroft and lying to himself, just to keep composure, just because he has his pride and wouldn't admit to Mycroft that he is terrified, and sad. But of course, Mycroft knows better. He knows that his brother is very affected, and I think that somehow, he must be affected too. Not for the same reasons obviously, but because he cares so much about Sherlock, and he certainly doesn't want him to break down. I think Mycroft loved it that John was around. Even if he probably didn't see as much of his brother when John was around, I think it kind of reassured him to have someone like John keep an eye on his little brother: "He could be the making of my brother – or make him worse than ever" and we all know John made Sherlock a better man.

I really hope to see more of Mycroft and of his relationship with Sherlock later. I love those two so much. I love all the teasing, all the unsaid... and the fact that neither of them would admit how much they care of the other. (Mrs Hudson knows that! "He’s secretly pleased to see you underneath all that .. / Sorry, which of us? / Both!)

I think that's a good characterisation of Mycroft. I'm also longing to see more of the brothers. There must be some underlying pain in their relationship that is interesting. I'm not sure that Mycroft thinks that John changed Sherlock for the better, I believed that at first, but in this series Mycroft is constantly asking Sherlock to be more detached and less affectionate, the exact opposite as what John does to him. Mycroft wants to protect Sherlock from pain but fails. 

Is it just me or do you guys also feel that Sherlock is gonna get hurt really badly in HLV? 

January 9, 2014 10:09 pm  #25

Yes, I am quite afraid of that. Not sure in which way (and I really try to avoid spoilers before Sunday) but something will happen, I am sure. They do not make Sherlock more open and vulnerable than ever without ulterior motives. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 9, 2014 10:22 pm  #26

SusiGo wrote:

Yes, I am quite afraid of that. Not sure in which way (and I really try to avoid spoilers before Sunday) but something will happen, I am sure. They do not make Sherlock more open and vulnerable than ever without ulterior motives. 

I agree, he will get hurt, either physically or psychologically - well, or both.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

January 10, 2014 12:14 am  #27

Can I just say that this topic is making me hurt so much...to the point where I don't feel I can even discuss it. The way he looks when he leaves that party...and then I was immediately reminded of Mrs Hudson earlier "who leaves a wedding early...so sad".

It is...so sad...and my heart literally breaks for him at that moment.

"I was so alone...and I owe you so much..." could easily be Sherlock's line towards John...

EXCUSE ME WHILST I GO AND CRY.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

January 10, 2014 12:14 am  #28

Methinks he doth protest too much!  Every time Sherlock said getting married wouldn't change John or affect their friendship, I had the feeling that Sherlock was trying to convince himself of that.  That he was hoping nothing would be different but that deep down he didn't really believe nothing would change.

When Sherlock walked out of the reception, I think it just hit him, seeing everyone else having such a good time, that he didn't feel that way at all and, consequently, he didn't really belong there.  So he left.  I think Sherlock has deep feelings but most of the time keeps himself under tight control.  He knew that this was an important day for John and, after what John told him (You're my best friend), Sherlock decided not to spoil it for him.   He'd already hurt John by faking his death and when he apologized during his speech, that's when I thought Sherlock finally, really, meant he was sorry for the pain he'd put John through.  And he didn't want to cause more heartache for John so he left the party before John realized how out of place Sherlock actually felt and so John wouldn't have to abandon his wife to babysit Sherlock.  (I use "babysit" intentionally.) 

In the past, Sherlock would have not cared if he took John away from someone else or whatever he was doing but during the past two years, he, Sherlock, has learned to care about other people besides himself.  I see his behavior at the end of the party as a manifestation of that.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.  -- Helen Keller

January 10, 2014 7:18 am  #29

Very well said, Sherli. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 10, 2014 7:34 am  #30

I don't know why I always come back to this thread just to have my heart broken AGAIN ...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

January 10, 2014 7:36 am  #31

Oh, Schmiezi, what have I done? 

January 10, 2014 7:43 am  #32

Don't worry, Susi, I only blame you for the first time I've read a post here. The other three time are entirely my own fault.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

January 10, 2014 7:46 am  #33

Still the addict. 

January 10, 2014 9:48 am  #34

Sherli Bakerst wrote:

Methinks he doth protest too much!  Every time Sherlock said getting married wouldn't change John or affect their friendship, I had the feeling that Sherlock was trying to convince himself of that.  That he was hoping nothing would be different but that deep down he didn't really believe nothing would change.

Yes, this becomes especially apparent during the scene on the bench. John adresses the topic directly and to me Sherlock's reaction to it couldn't be more obvious. He doesn't really want to talk about it and so he just says something along the line of "Yes, I know things won't change". And then he just vanishes. I think it's too painful for him to think about it, let alone talk about it with John.

Oh man, what must it have been like for him to be away for two years, without John, all alone...?
You are so right, ladies, all of this is so heartbreaking...

January 10, 2014 9:53 am  #35

And we already mentioned the scene with Mrs Hudson. I imagine us all sitting crying in front of our computers. 

January 10, 2014 10:01 am  #36

And you imagine right, I would say.

January 10, 2014 10:09 am  #37

I sat in front of my TV.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

January 10, 2014 3:04 pm  #38

The problem is that my mind has this special connection to music.
So every time I hear this song from the wedding........    (Thank god it's a quite old one....)

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

January 18, 2014 4:05 pm  #39

Im so distressed over the fact that
1) Sherlock leaves the wedding looking sad and alone
2) (From His Final Vow )Sherlock and John actually did not see each other for about a MONTH!! That's a freaking long time!

AND YET
1) Amanda and the scriptwriters, upon being interviewed, stated that John and Sherlock's relationship definitely wouldnt be ruined by Mary coming in
2) There were all these long conversations btwn Sherlock and John earlier in the episode that allowed me to feel some reassurance that nothing will chnge between them

I just feel so sad for poor Sherlock. And I don't understand where the writers are going with this, it just feels so contradictory... Is anyone feeling the same way / Can anyone explain or make a guess at what's going to happen??

January 18, 2014 4:21 pm  #40

Yeah, Mary ain't hanging around!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

Board footera