BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 24, 2014 6:56 pm  #141

Re: German air date

gently69 wrote:

Oh, I am sooo glad that we live in the era of DVD and Bluray. I don't know if I would love this show like I do if I would only know the German version.

Well, for me ASiB worked nevertheless. It made me boink no matter some details 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

April 24, 2014 6:58 pm  #142

zeratul wrote:

Well Mary is not recognizable BUT, when I saw it, I truely thought she would NOT shoot.
And now the Germans know, she does.

Right, at least when she pops up in that battle dress...

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

April 24, 2014 6:59 pm  #143

"Ich habe Sie erhört" really destroys the most beautiful scene in the episode. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

April 24, 2014 7:02 pm  #144

Harriet wrote:

gently69 wrote:

Oh, I am sooo glad that we live in the era of DVD and Bluray. I don't know if I would love this show like I do if I would only know the German version.

Well, for me ASiB worked nevertheless. It made me boink no matter some details

But the "Johnlock" effect has no chance on German TV.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

April 24, 2014 7:05 pm  #145

Oh, a little distance may be rather sexy, don't you think? 

(Just kidding!)

April 24, 2014 7:07 pm  #146

SusiGo wrote:

Even hubby noticed.

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

April 24, 2014 7:07 pm  #147

SusiGo wrote:

Indeed.
Doesn't sound like a mistake to me. It sounds like the translator WANTED to change the meaning.
Well Sherlock wanted to tell John, how he did it in the beginning. In this situation he seems weak and not dareing to tell John, so he just "redet um den heißen Brei" when he says this thing which Moftiss took from somewhere else "I'm know to be indestructable"... And about this I heard you... It shows it wasn't easy for him standing at there and not being able to talk to John... And that John touched his heart...

You’ve salted away every fact under the sun!

April 24, 2014 7:39 pm  #148

I'm still wondering what was so inappropriate about this clip that the ARD wouldn't show it as early as 8 p.m. due to protect minors under the age of twelve...
Of course, every kid would be in bed after 8 p.m. in their Easter holidays...got it!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

April 24, 2014 7:53 pm  #149

Yeah, maybe because the whole series is FSK 12...

April 24, 2014 9:09 pm  #150

I got another idea what they could spoil... pregnant Mary...

haha and now I am imaginating John and Mary saying "Sie"

And didn't we talk about "I habe gedacht Sie seien tot!" and so on... I think this will be it.

When I watched that trailer even my hubby said that he didn't remember how bad the german voice was.

Last edited by zeratul (April 24, 2014 9:10 pm)

April 24, 2014 9:12 pm  #151

tobeornot221b wrote:

I'm still wondering what was so inappropriate about this clip that the ARD wouldn't show it as early as 8 p.m. due to protect minors under the age of twelve...
Of course, every kid would be in bed after 8 p.m. in their Easter holidays...got it!

That's typical ARD, they show something cool and that when people are already in bed or drunk because of "Herrentag/Vatertag" like we Atheist call it 

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

April 24, 2014 9:19 pm  #152

I wonder about that scene when John asks Sherlock about the "best man" and Sherlock rambles about Billy Kincaid. We don't say "bester Mann" in German, it's called Trauzeuge.

..or things like "killing me! that's so 2 years ago!" sounds easy but we haven't such an expression in German? Maybe he says something boring like "das ist so alt" oder "das ist so einfallslos"

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

April 24, 2014 9:28 pm  #153

"Mich umbringen? Das war vor zwei Jahren mal modern/in."

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

April 24, 2014 9:34 pm  #154

Ich bitte dich! Das ist soo Achtziger...!

(Aber "Zweitausendzwölfer"??? Ach je!)

"Mich umbringen? Das war vor zwei Jahren mal aktuell."

April 24, 2014 9:46 pm  #155

Hmm I think you could actually say "Mich umbringen, das ist so vor zwei Jahren / das ist so 2012"

But I also wondered about the best man thing... both about the words and about the Sie...
Btw... at How I Met Your Mother there is the joke ring bear - ring bearer... in German Ring Bär - Ring Träger....

Also f..cough won't work at all...

I still do not get, why they didn't switch to "Du" at "Mr. Holmes" - "Sherlock, please".
I do not think this was a mistake. I guess it was again translators feeling the force to change the sense of what Moftiss wrote... just because they have some distance in the book from the outside, they thought they had the right to change it. I hate it...

April 24, 2014 9:46 pm  #156

Would be nice without the blasted 2012. 

The second one is good.  

April 24, 2014 9:47 pm  #157

Or...
"Mich umbringen, das hatten wir vor 2 Jahren schonmal" (would be too long)
"Mich umbringen, nicht schon wieder!" or sth like this maybe

I think they gonna screw it and let him say: "Mich umbringen, oh ich bitte Sie"

Last edited by zeratul (April 24, 2014 9:48 pm)

April 24, 2014 9:48 pm  #158

Now I wonder what they will actually make of it 

April 24, 2014 9:51 pm  #159

I wonder if they thought that much about it like we did.
I wonder if they even think about it at all.
And I wonder what do they "sich einbilden" that they think they may change the whole meaning...

April 24, 2014 9:57 pm  #160

I do not know much about translation theory but a thing that always helps me in my work is the concept of the "equivalence of effect". This means that a translator must create the same effect in his/her audience like the original text in its respective audience. 
Referring to the "I heard you" dialogue IMO the words should evoke emotion and a feeling of forgiveness. The German translation will not have this effect and is therefore inadequate. 

Sometimes you simply have to change the text in order to get the desired effect, especially in case of comic effects. But in the above case it was unnecessary to change anything. 

Board footera