BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 29, 2014 12:15 pm  #281

Re: German air date

Good old-fashioned Prince charming and a damsel in distress

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

April 29, 2014 12:20 pm  #282

Sorry, but I am getting a bit fed up by now. English is not the only language on the planet and not every German translation is bad. There are lots of qualified professionals doing this job (including me). Maybe we are not that bad. Or have you never been glad to read books in German translation, maybe from languages you do not speak? 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

April 29, 2014 12:22 pm  #283

Actually, I have one movie which is even better in the german dubbing and that would be Milos Formans "Amadeus"! Never watch the original there, they could never copy that old-fashioned viennoise German!

"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

April 29, 2014 12:23 pm  #284

Sorry, copy and paste doesn't like me right now...

Here is another answer from the ARD.

That's what I wrote:

Sehr geehrte Frau Zivanovic,
vielen Dank für ihre schnelle Antwort.
Leider habe ich den Eindruck, als hätten Sie einige der von mir genannten Punkte überlesen, da Sie leider auf vieles gar nicht eingehen.
Ich würde aber davon abgesehen gerne wissen, was denn in den Augen der Übersetzer das von Ihnen erwähnte "Spannungsfeld zwischen Distanz und Nähe der beiden Protagonisten" sein soll - und vor allem, warum das "very british" sein soll. Sherlock Holmes und John Watson könnten sich näher kaum sein, trotz all der Charaktereigenschaften, in denen sie sich unterscheiden. Wer die Serie im englischen Original gesehen hat, hat schnell erkannt, dass trotz all ihrer Unterschiede eine so tiefe Freundschaft und ein großes Vertrauen zwischen Sherlock und John herrscht, das mit einem Siezen einfach nicht vereinbar ist. 
In der synchronisierten Fassung wirken Sherlock und John deshalb leider eher steif und kaum "very british" (was auch immer das sein soll). Und von alldem abgesehen ist es einfach undenkbar, dass sich beste Freunde, die mehrere Jahre zusammen gewohnt haben, nach dieser Zeit immer noch mit "Sie" ansprechen - das hat nichts mit "very british" zu tun, aber sehr viel mit gesundem Menschenverstand, fürchte ich.
Ich möchte die Übersetzer also nochmals dazu ermuntern, bei einer möglichen 4. Staffel das Siezen ernsthaft zu überdenken.
Beste Grüße,
XXX

Die Antwort:

Sehr geehrte Frau XXX,
Ihren Wunsch geben wir gerne weiter an die Verantwortlichen.
Verstehen Sie uns nicht falsch – wir können Ihr Anliegen durchaus nachvollziehen. Sie haben immerhin die Möglichkeit, den Film dank Zweikanalton auf Englisch auch zu sehen.
Wir hoffen, Ihnen auch in Zukunft für Sie sehenswerte Sendungen anbieten zu können.
Mit freundlichen Grüßen
Daniela Zivanovic

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

April 29, 2014 12:24 pm  #285

Again, sweet nothings...

April 29, 2014 12:28 pm  #286

At least they answer very quickly. But that won't change anything, also not in the future in my opinion.

@Susi
You know how my criticism is meant, don't you? I am glad about dubbing and translating in general.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

April 29, 2014 12:30 pm  #287

Sorry, Susi, I didn't mean to sound like an obnoxious bugger and also didn't mean to say that every translation is bad. I'm sure there are lots of translators who do a brilliant job. 

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

April 29, 2014 12:32 pm  #288

Well, the first sentence is fine, that is what she can and should offer.
The rest - forget it...

Solar, tell them you're unable to follow the original version and want a proper translation!

EDIT: Tell them Susi is suited!!!

Last edited by Harriet (April 29, 2014 12:33 pm)

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

April 29, 2014 12:35 pm  #289

I also prefer the dubbed Life of Brian.

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

April 29, 2014 12:36 pm  #290

You want me to be getting on their nerves, Harriet..? Okay. I'm an expert on that. 
And brilliant idea, after all there are people who need the dubbed version.

April 29, 2014 12:38 pm  #291

My hubby does need it. Well, me as well, because otherwise I couldn't watch it with my hubby.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

April 29, 2014 12:38 pm  #292

Yes, there are many people who need a dubbed version! And they deserve a proper one, and to make a proper one is the team's job.
But I have to leave now, Laterz!

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

April 29, 2014 12:39 pm  #293

Same here, gently! And I feel also more confident with a dubbed version, even though I will return to the original later again.

April 29, 2014 12:40 pm  #294

SusiGo wrote:

Yes, brilliant
In the english original I can't imagine a lisp being this funny!

April 29, 2014 12:42 pm  #295

SusiGo wrote:

Sorry, but I am getting a bit fed up by now. English is not the only language on the planet and not every German translation is bad. There are lots of qualified professionals doing this job (including me). Maybe we are not that bad. Or have you never been glad to read books in German translation, maybe from languages you do not speak? 

Well I understand your point.
It is always hard to translate stuff. And often something originally written or said in English sounds strange in German or the jokes get lost. This is totally the same thing the other way round.
I am happy for a translation of the Kalevala, but that's not quite the same.
Of course translations are important. But it is still strange to see English guys in London talking German ;). At least to me. When I watch something I become totally part of it.

Zweikanalton...  Zweikanalton... Need to check this on the 3rd series...

You’ve salted away every fact under the sun!

April 29, 2014 12:50 pm  #296

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zweikanalton

I wonder if they are using ancient stuff here ;).
At least with TBB there was no English available at "Entertain".

April 29, 2014 12:51 pm  #297

mrshouse wrote:

SusiGo wrote:

Yes, brilliant
In the english original I can't imagine a lisp being this funny!

I was just going to say: The Monty Python films are actually dubbed very, very well. To the point where the German version is almost funnier. And this is high praise because it comes from a person who positively tries to shun anything that is dubbed into German.

I don't really remember who had a lisp in the German version, but in the English version Pilate doesn't do the B and P thing, he can't pronounce the R and always says W, as in "Stwike him, centuwion, vewwy woughly." And Schwanzus Longus is called Biggus Dickus. But I guess that's a whole other conversation for a whole other thread.

April 29, 2014 1:02 pm  #298

I like the dubbing of Malcom in the Middle, especially danish Otto ;).

The dubbing of "Underworld" is horrible btw ;). Wrong voice for Seelene and English sounds cooler and darker, sorry...

The dubbing of Lord of the Rings isn't that bad. Also for Star Wars.

But the more originals I watch, the worse I find the dubbings...

Btw was it MASH or Hogan's Hero (Ein Käfig voller Helden) which had a second dubbing because the first one flopped?

April 29, 2014 1:13 pm  #299

This does not exactly cover the problem, but somehow I make a difference between broadcasts in British and in American english. I'm fine with british accent but sometimes the american english is really hard to follow, IMO. Star wars for example, or Indiana Jones, there is no chance I can follow Harrison Ford talking... But I love James Earl Jones with his britishness as Darth Vader!

April 29, 2014 1:15 pm  #300

Actually after watching and listening to much british stuff I need some time to follow american english again, because it is really different.

Board footera