BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 26, 2014 9:13 pm  #201

Re: German air date

SusiGo wrote:

DU
ARD slipped up. They made a mistake. Because the one word they thought didn’t matter at all to us was the one word that mattered the most. 

This is brilliant, Susi! You should put that on a T-shirt.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

April 26, 2014 10:25 pm  #202

SusiGo wrote:

And the thing is - there are many really difficult things but the form of address was no problem at all and they got it wrong. 

Yes, it is ok to have mistakes in difficult things.
But the Du was clear after "Sherlock, please!" so no problem at all!
And still, couldn't they ask Moftiss?
In one of the latest interviews some guy in the audience asks for the Miniepisode and says "we didn't get it for dubbing" or sth like this... I wonder if he was in the dubbing team and why they do not seem to have contact to the writers...

Yeah you are right about the word which mattered most ;)

You’ve salted away every fact under the sun!

April 26, 2014 10:28 pm  #203

Btw... Sherlock says du to his friend at the bank at TBB, but Sie to his room mate... makes sense... not

April 26, 2014 10:41 pm  #204

Let me just throw in that Mulder and Scully apparently said Sie almost until the very end. I read somehwere that they only switched to Du in the last two episodes (after nine seasons). Yeah, the timing of that really makes sense, seeing how they have a kid together and all... *eyeroll*

Can I just say that in my workplace I say Du to almost everyone, with a few exceptions of people like the boss's boss and up or colleagues I barely know. It frankly is ridiculous to say Sie to someone you share a flat with and whom you consider your best friend. And "Britishness" has nothing to do with it. That's a total BS argument, if you ask me.

April 26, 2014 10:59 pm  #205

Well didn't watch Akte X (had to google it).

Yeah, at my work I say Du to everyone, also to the CEOs.
It is quite common and normal nowadays. I had been in a company once where people said Sie except say switched between themselves... Felt quite weird.

I think "Sie" is something which is acient. For example the finnish people do not use their "Sie" anymore... I'm not sure about the swedish language, but IKEA says du to the customers...

Watching TBB in German at the moment, now that I know the original, it feels so wrong...
For example in How I Met Your Mother, many jokes get lost and they got Barney a bit wrong, but the rest of the atmosphere stays... With Sherlock it is completly changed. Because of the Sie and also because of the whole way the characters talk. Without any emotion all the time... It is so sad . Breaks my heart.

April 27, 2014 4:06 pm  #206

Mattlocked wrote:

Btw: you find it crappy? I like it pretty much! Have the English original book and the German version on my Kindle.

Maybe crappy is to harsh a word, but for example I didn't find all those notes from John and Sherlock to one another very funny... maybe it works better in English, but the German version didn't convince me at all.

Apart from that: I had to think about the "Britishness" some more and to be honest, I think it's quite ridiculous that they try to achieve "Britishness" (whatever they think that is) through something that doesn't even exist in the English language... I'd much rather call the "Siezen" German stiffness and not "Britishness".

But I agree, we can probably be glad that the ARD is showing the show and not RTL or Sat1... at least that way we don't have commercial breaks. And yes, it would definitely have taken me much longer to take notice of the show if it hadn't been for those more or less regular re-runs in the third programmes.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

April 27, 2014 4:24 pm  #207

My hubby found it on the program part of the weekly commercial thing which Deutsche Post brings on Saturdays... So we actually watched the German premieres each time...

April 28, 2014 7:18 pm  #208

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

April 28, 2014 7:21 pm  #209

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

April 28, 2014 7:23 pm  #210

Let's be honest, it won't play out exactly like this, but it probably will be equally painful...

April 28, 2014 7:28 pm  #211

April 29, 2014 6:12 am  #212

oh dear lord!

April 29, 2014 6:30 am  #213

Funny if it wouldn't have been so sad. Same with the second one you posted, Solar ... somehow ...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

April 29, 2014 7:08 am  #214

April 29, 2014 7:09 am  #215

Yes, she has a whole collection of "Siezlock" and is obviously as pissed about this as we are.

April 29, 2014 7:11 am  #216

Yes I added one above.
I wonder if they will switch to du about the whole best man thing?
Well propably not...

This is just ridiculous..

btw:
http://the-illusion-of-sanity.tumblr.com/post/72386474878/the-prankster-ob-sie-sich-wohl-jetzt-endlich

maybe the real reason for the Sie is, that ARD wants to prevent Johnlock happening in the heads of the German audience?

Last edited by zeratul (April 29, 2014 7:13 am)

April 29, 2014 7:15 am  #217

They won't switch according to the answer ARD send to Susi.

Last edited by gently69 (April 29, 2014 7:15 am)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Tony Hadley)

April 29, 2014 7:17 am  #218

Honestly, ARD does not have the faintest idea of Johnlock, of that I am sure. I suppose they do not know how big the show is on the Internet. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

April 29, 2014 7:20 am  #219

April 29, 2014 7:30 am  #220

Well ... that was ... clear.

(Tony Hadley)

Board footera