BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 8, 2014 12:48 pm  #1

Little Archie

I think the boy deserves a thread of his own. We have not seen many children in the series so far and this is the first time Sherlock truly interacts with a child. 

First I was of course surprised that the boy hugs him at the wedding. And then we get the background story which IMO might be a hint at Sherlock's own childhood. I think they did not pick a boy with dark curls at random. 

He is a child that does not like to talk as his mother confirms. But he opens up the moment Sherlock treats him as an equal. He is not sweet or condescending, but talks to him in a friendly but matter-of-fact way. Of course you could argue that one should not show a child pictures from crime scenes but this seems to be just what Archie needs and wants. I immediately was reminded of Sherlock as a child, curious, moody and very bright who may have been admonished over and over again by adults to behave in an accepted way. 
And the beautiful thing is that Sherlock (who does not seem to count himself among the adults) may well be the first adult to take Archie seriously because he understands exactly what is happening inside his mind. 

And he is allowed to sit in John's chair. 

Last edited by SusiGo (January 8, 2014 12:50 pm)

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 8, 2014 12:51 pm  #2

Re: Little Archie

And he gives the deciding hint at last: "The invisible murderer with the invisible knife" (or so).

Last edited by anjaH_alias (January 8, 2014 12:51 pm)

January 8, 2014 1:06 pm  #3

Yes, I also see the analogy to a possible childhood of Sherlock. Maybe he recognised himself in Archie and therefore give Archie the care which Sherlock would liked to have in his past. (Oh god... my English...)

Last edited by gently69 (January 8, 2014 1:11 pm)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

January 8, 2014 1:08 pm  #4

I totally agree, Susi. I hate adults who treat children like idiots just because they are children.
And I loved the hug when it was explained. Archie showed he really like Sherlock with such a purity.

-----------------------------
“Why do you go away? So that you can come back. So that you can see the place you came from with new eyes and extra colors. And the people there see you differently, too. Coming back to where you started is not the same as never leaving.”
Terry Pratchett - A Hat Full of Sky

January 8, 2014 1:22 pm  #5

Swanpride: You have a point there. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 8, 2014 1:22 pm  #6

I loved Archie. 
Have you thought that it's the first time we see Sherlock interacting with a child and he was not a complete jerk but just the opposite? Sherlock would be a great (albeit eccentric) uncle. Wouldn't he?

Why do you think they are letting us know that Sherlock would be a good uncle? WHY?

January 8, 2014 1:31 pm  #7

Glad, that Susi started a thread about little Archie. I loved him, and I have an idea, who he might be: Anyone remember the little boy, who ticked so remarkably like Sherlock in TRF? The one, who get's abducted with his sister from school? Who planted all the clues? And Sherlock was instantly able to almost understand him blindly? Well, that might have been little Archie. Maybe, Sherlock and John struck up a friendship with him. Sherlock saved them, after all.
And Archie with his long dark locks looks remakably, like Sherlock might have looked as a kid, plus the striking eyes, of course.

Last edited by sherlocked (January 8, 2014 1:33 pm)

January 8, 2014 1:32 pm  #8

Swanpride wrote:

Are we sure that Sherlock didn't spread his genes around somehow?

He's virgin!!!!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Tony Hadley)

January 8, 2014 1:34 pm  #9

sherlocked wrote:

Glad, that Susi started a thread about little Archie. I loved him, and I have an idea, who he might be: Anyone remember the little boy, who ticked so remarkably like Sherlock in TRF? The one, who get's abducted with his sister from school? Who planted all the clues? And Sherlock was instantly able to almost understand him blindly? Well, that might have been little Archie. Maybe, Sherlock and John struck up a friendship with him. Sherlock saved them, after all.

But... the girl screamed as she saw Sherlock. I would say the boy also thinks that Sherlock is the bad guy...

(Tony Hadley)

January 8, 2014 1:35 pm  #10

Swanpride wrote:

So what? You don't need to do the act to get your semen in a woman.

LOL Can't imagine that, can I?

(Tony Hadley)

January 8, 2014 1:35 pm  #11

Lol, Swanpride, do you think Sherlock looked for some extra income as a student? And there are hundreds of little Sherlocks out there?

January 8, 2014 1:38 pm  #12

Nah,gently, Sherlock was rehabilitated. They would've cleared that up. And Archie has apparently strong nerves, with pictures of maggots and beheadings and all. But maybe the girl doens't want to be reminded, and that's why she isn't there. But Archie clearly seems to see Sherlock as his protector.
And Sherlock would be the coolest uncle ever...

Last edited by sherlocked (January 8, 2014 1:39 pm)

January 8, 2014 1:44 pm  #13

Do we have a huge German club here at Sherlock Holmes' great site, btw?

January 8, 2014 1:55 pm  #14

I love little Archie!! I think Sherlock would be great with children because he treats them as grown ups and they understand that! I would like to see him with mary and john's baby but I have a bad feeling about His last vow..Anyway in the original books he goes along well with homeless children!

January 8, 2014 2:02 pm  #15

sherlocked wrote:

Do we have a huge German club here at Sherlock Holmes' great site, btw?

Yes, indeed, there are quite a bunch of Germans here. You do not meet many Sherlockians in daily life so we all found refuge on this board. 

I do not think Sherlock knew the boy before. I suppose his mother is friends with John and/or Mary and they chose him as a page or whatever it is called for the wedding. Sherlock as best man checked up everything in advance and so came to know Archie. 

January 8, 2014 2:15 pm  #16

Hi Susi, yes, there aren't many Germans, I know, who follow Sherlock, and most of them wait for the German broadcast in spring, because they don't understand the rapid fire original dialog, which IS a challenge, especially without subtitles. I took refuge in some transcripts.
Whoever Archie may be, good, that you started a thread about him. Since I have two boys myself, with a taste for gory stuff, I thought he was excessively cute.

January 8, 2014 2:23 pm  #17

sherlocked wrote:

Hi Susi, yes, there aren't many Germans, I know, who follow Sherlock, and most of them wait for the German broadcast in spring, because they don't understand the rapid fire original dialog, which IS a challenge, especially without subtitles. I took refuge in some transcripts.

Yeah, but after listening to Benedicts voice (the drug which addicted me first)  there is no way just following the German versions any more. I also have problems to understand everything but I can work it out. Doesn't matter at all. Also the atmosphere, the chemistry between Sherlock and John is totally different in the dubbed version.

(Tony Hadley)

January 8, 2014 2:37 pm  #18

gently, I first saw SiP in German and liked it a lot, but I fell in love with the show, like you, when I first watched the original version on dvd. Like you, I fell instantly in love with Benedict's voice. And you are right, the dynamics are totally different.

Last edited by sherlocked (January 8, 2014 2:38 pm)

January 8, 2014 2:47 pm  #19

Swanpride wrote:

"I have an international reputation... I don't remember what for"

Three Continents Sherlock? 

We haven't seen Archie before, the children from TRF were called Max and Claudette.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Falling is just like flying, except there’s a more permanent destination."

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

January 8, 2014 2:55 pm  #20

Mary Me wrote:

Swanpride wrote:

"I have an international reputation... I don't remember what for"

Three Continents Sherlock? 

Ha ha , naughty girl... Mary...

sherlocked wrote:

gently, I first saw SiP in German and liked it a lot, but I fell in love with the show, like you, when I first watched the original version on dvd. Like you, I fell instantly in love with Benedict's voice. And you are right, the dynamics are totally different.

First time I heard Benedict's voice was in London, "The First Estate". Even the strange Australian accent didn't matter. He could read a phonebook for me and I would be hooked.

(Tony Hadley)

Board footera