BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 10, 2014 5:15 pm  #61

Re: Why did Sherlock leave the wedding early, looking so sad and dejected?

He was my hero!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

February 11, 2014 12:59 am  #62

I thought Sherlock was pretty great in TSoT, too. The speech was too long, but the other things he said, which seemed on the surface rude, were actually very touching self-deprecation and tributes to John.

In some ways he actually reminded me of brother's best guy friend, who was best man in my brother's wedding.

Said friend is not necessarily a socially awkward person over all, but was a little awkward about being best man -  mentioned he didn't really know when he was asked to be best man what it would mean, and talked about how he and my brother became friends at a time when all of the other guys in their class were getting interested in girls.

And even though I know there was much in TSoT to foreshadow HLV, it felt like a HUGE shift in mood. The clues about Mary prior to HLV just seemed like she was being, well, a Johnlocker.

And now I'm not sure John is earning the love Sherlock showed in TSoT.

February 11, 2014 6:07 am  #63

SusiGo wrote:

I think if you look closely at his face during the conversation with John and Mary and his move towards Janine before he realises she is dancing with someone else, you can see that there is more. No heartbreak, that would be saying far too much, but remember him telling Janine how much he loved to dance. He prepared for a waltz with her and did not get the opportunity. And he felt that he did not belong. 

I agree. He was looking for Janine and even almost took a step into her direction. And when he realised that she was dancing with this other guy, there is a very particular expression on his face for just a second, as if he were thinking "Ah, okay, fine. So everything back to normal now." And then everything slowly goes back to 'normal' again.
But the way in which he is shown in the middle of that dancing crowd is very telling, in my opinion. I can practically feel the loneliness, and even if it doesn't come as a real surprise to Sherlock... he still looks lonely there for a moment.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

February 11, 2014 6:50 am  #64

Do stop, you're breaking my heart...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

February 11, 2014 7:43 pm  #65

Swanpride wrote:

Seriously this whole thing looks like a threesome wedding, and not just because John and Sherlock turned up in partnerlook. First Mary, John and Sherlock are greeting the guests, with the bridesmaids behind them, then Sherlock and John tell each other how much they are in love, then Sherlock makes a lifetime vow and then he throws "his" boquet.

There are many times when Sherlock behaves as though it's HIS wedding, and not just the long holding of the floor for the speech:

- getting into the wedding pictures that are supposed to be just bride and groom

- even during the planning - he was much more into the details of planning the wedding than John was. Of the three of them, John seemed the least into that and almost more eager to go back to solving cases than Sherlock was. 

- a lot of the guests (or, as in Mycroft's case, people invited who didn't come) are people connected to John through Sherlock.

What is "partnerlook?"

Last edited by SherlocklivesinOH (February 11, 2014 7:45 pm)

February 11, 2014 7:50 pm  #66

I think she means that Sherlock and John are dressed alike. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

February 11, 2014 11:40 pm  #67

SusiGo wrote:

I think she means that Sherlock and John are dressed alike. 

Indeed; in England it is the custom for both groom and best man to be dressed alike 

February 12, 2014 12:32 am  #68

hfswgsoh wrote:

I think.....
Sherlock beleives that Mary's baby is not John's, or at least she's not sure if it's John's or someone else's.... eitherway Sherlock figured out she's been cheating.
Something in her reaction gave it away I think..... Also why was her ex floating around the wedding? That didn't really add anything to the story other than providing a little comical moment for Sherlock to play the over protective big brother.

Mary's done the dirty. Sherlock figured it out. I *think*.

The baby not being John's actually made sense at the time, with only TSoT to go on.

But I think, if the baby is actually John's, it provides a stronger rationale for Sherlock protecting Mary (after she has hurt him and John) in HLV. I wouldn't have pegged Sherlock as a "kid" person...but he did get along very well with Archie (being childlike himself may help with befriending a child). If John is the one person he's become attached to, I could believe in him caring about a Baby Watson. One of the baby's parents may be an assassin...but its other parent is "his Watson." (Canon Holmes actually does say "my Watson," a couple of times.) And therefore, almost a niece / nephew or even stepchild to Sherlock himself (since in this one he acts like he thinks he's marrying John.)

We've seen John and Mary living together (or at least, staying overnight together - the shaving scene) - so I don't think there's any reason why the baby COULDN'T be John's...the only possible candidate for another lover, whom we've been shown clues about would be David, though it does seem Sherlock finds his continued attachment to Mary inappropriate.

February 12, 2014 6:45 am  #69

I actually wondered if it was CAM's...

February 12, 2014 11:03 pm  #70

Why would the baby be anyone elses but John's? I know Mary has a secret past but there is no evidence that Mary was unfaithful when with John. In fact she went to extraordinary lengths to keep her secret past from John because she thought if he found out about it she'd lose him. She obviously loves him so infidelity doesn't make sense to me.

================================================================

February 13, 2014 6:35 am  #71

Rape?
And sorry, I realise I'm entering the world of extreme fantasy here...
I want the baby to be John's and I want everything to be fine with it...
But a potential baby in a TV show can have many outcomes...
Though presumably the guys will stick to Canon as much as possible.

Last edited by besleybean (February 13, 2014 6:37 am)

February 13, 2014 11:49 am  #72

Talking about Mary and John: Did she ever say "John, I love you"? Did we get an actual kiss (apart from a kiss on the cheek or something casual in passing or from John when saying good-bye to follow Sherlock at the wedding table)? I don't think so. We got Sherlock and Janine kissing.  Which was a fake.

February 13, 2014 5:07 pm  #73

No doubt they'd done plenty of that before and I'm sure they'll do plenty after...

February 13, 2014 5:35 pm  #74

Be wrote:

Talking about Mary and John: Did she ever say "John, I love you"? Did we get an actual kiss (apart from a kiss on the cheek or something casual in passing or from John when saying good-bye to follow Sherlock at the wedding table)? I don't think so. We got Sherlock and Janine kissing.  Which was a fake.

Didn't they kiss during their dance in the end of TSOT?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He’s got a dog. We go to the pub on weekends. I’ve met his mum and dad …

… and his friends and all his family and I’ve no idea why I’m telling you this.

February 13, 2014 6:05 pm  #75

QuiteExtraordinary wrote:

Be wrote:

Not during - afterwards. Twice. Can't decide if I'd call this a proper kiss, though.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

February 13, 2014 10:46 pm  #76

tobeornot221b wrote:

Be wrote:

Not during - afterwards. Twice. Can't decide if I'd call this a proper kiss, though.

Just because they aren't tonsil deep doesn't mean it isn't a proper kiss. I think it's pretty clear they love each other. Long term relationships are all 'I love you' and making out.

================================================================

February 13, 2014 11:03 pm  #77

To me the emotion of the ending of TSoT is very bittersweet.  Yes, Sherlock has been alone and can probably continue to be alone. Yes, he can be, "Well everyone, my job here is done, so see ya all later". Yes, he can be happy for the bride and groom engaging in the institution of marriage and probably actually mean it.  What's bittersweet to me is that he has had a taste of being part of something and someone and a little seedling of 'caring' and 'relating' has at last poked its fragile head through the soil toward the sun.  He's had a taste of being one with the rest of us and it hasn't necessarily been all bad. And just when he was on the verge of engaging further at the wedding he saw that everyone else was paired up or otherwise occupied in their own little worlds (even Molly) and there was no real place for him there any longer.
I've left many a party early and felt nothing but relief in the escape because socializing and small talk can be agonizing; but in TSoT, it felt to me that Sherlock was ready and willing to be part of it; but then, no, it was not meant to be and maybe never would be. As much as he might want to try now, he'll never be the same as the other "children". He comes to realize that Mycroft, who has warned him off repeatedly, is right. That's what seemed so bittersweet to me.  He wanted to be "ready" but then knew it could never happen.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

February 14, 2014 3:14 am  #78

No, probably Sherlock and John don't like each other at all. They're basically robots, and Sherlock is programmed to start an automatic process of self-destruction whenever he loses a game.
Luckily Mycroft knows where the off-switch is.

[Yes, that was sarcasm, in case anyone didn't get it. I just got a bit angry. And I'm also fed up with the insinuations that I have to ask every single actor and creator of the show before I can draw any kind of conclusion, and that I have to change my point of view if theirs is different.]

Well, in all seriousness, there are a lot of times they don't come across as liking each other. And rather than a consistent progression of a relationship, we have the "mood whiplash," of anger in TEH, the lovefest of TSoT, and then HLV...

Hey, maybe CAM was a robot (so the storing of data in his mind was much more literal!) Of course, Sherlock would have to know this in advance for it to morally excuse the shooting. 

I'm not TOTALLY joking...these writers are capable of pulling something like that. 

It did strike me that CAM, for all cunning manipulations, wasn't very smart about his personal, physical security. He put himself in situations where he could be physically attacked by his enemies. It has been mentioned that he never checked John and Sherlock for weapons at Appledore, and there were other times, like at Baker Street - that was John, Sherlock, and Mycroft's territory. So maybe it wasn't the "real" CAM who standing in front of them, so easy to shoot.

Sorry, I went off topic - in response to robot joke.

Last edited by SherlocklivesinOH (February 14, 2014 3:19 am)

February 19, 2014 12:57 pm  #79

Because He already know he sucked. Sherlock in a wedding huh?
He failed me (in dream) and BBC failed me in the real world.

February 19, 2014 1:22 pm  #80

Maybe you could introduce yourself before voicing your disapppointment in several threads in quite a rude way. This is not really helpful. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

Board footera